Crafting Disciplines transferable between characters

So we all know crafting disciplines will never be account bound, though it's annoying its understandable. There are many reasons why its this way (e.g., affect earning exp). It's an idea Arenanet has probably thought about before.

Since that's not possible, how about making crafting disciplines transferable between characters? I know that will still affect earning exp, etc, but it is an idea worth looking through IMO. What do you think?

Honestly, they should just cut the losses and make them account bound.

Earning a bit of exp for crafting a bunch of stuff is not a particularly huge part of the game. And if it was, you'd see bots leveling up via crafting (Given you can switch crafting disciplines at no cost... Grab one, level it up. Grab another, level it up. Grab another, level it up etc. Now your bot is level 80 and has a ton of crafted items to sell)

I'm not sure how profitable the crafting discipline boost is on the gem store, but it can't be doing that well can it? Since it's not particularly hard to simply have an alt sat around being level 500 in 2 disciplines that you simply log into whenever you need to use that craft and take your **account wide** crafting materials to create your **account wide** recipes. (It's just needlessly annoying to have to do so, as well as not be able to check recipes for other disciplines without relogging to a that character)

> @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> I never understood why they're not account bound...

> Losing the 7-10 level don't matter.

Was the Exp that much? lol never knew. I guess the exp part isn't really a good reason to not make it account bound then. I wonder if its cus of the immersion?

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> Honestly, they should just cut the losses and make them account bound.

>

> Earning a bit of exp for crafting a bunch of stuff is not a particularly huge part of the game. And if it was, you'd see bots leveling up via crafting (Given you can switch crafting disciplines at no cost... Grab one, level it up. Grab another, level it up. Grab another, level it up etc. Now your bot is level 80 and has a ton of crafted items to sell)

>

> I'm not sure how profitable the crafting discipline boost is on the gem store, but it can't be doing that well can it? Since it's not particularly hard to simply have an alt sat around being level 500 in 2 disciplines that you simply log into whenever you need to use that craft and take your **account wide** crafting materials to create your **account wide** recipes. (It's just needlessly annoying to have to do so, as well as not be able to check recipes for other disciplines without relogging to a that character)

True. The whole crafting system needs some looking at.

> @"garngikel.9406" said:

> So we all know crafting disciplines will never be account bound, though it's annoying its understandable. There are many reasons why its this way (e.g., affect earning exp). It's an idea Arenanet has probably thought about before.

> Since that's not possible, how about making crafting disciplines transferable between characters? I know that will still affect earning exp, etc, but it is an idea worth looking through IMO. What do you think?

Hey, wait, many reasons? Apart from earning some XP, being a little coppersink and selling cheap mats?

I cannot realize why it's not account-wide yet. But yeah, it would probably be useful for some, as long as it stays around half the price of a character slot :)

> @"garngikel.9406" said:

> > @"Kulvar.1239" said:

> > I never understood why they're not account bound...

> > Losing the 7-10 level don't matter.

>

> Was the Exp that much? lol never knew. I guess the exp part isn't really a good reason to not make it account bound then. I wonder if its cus of the immersion?

Leveling to 400 is worth 7 level, level to 500 is worth +3 level (so 10 total). It would be an expensive way to level.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> i dont think i ever played an MMO that had account wide crafting, or at least at the time when I played them

>

> not having it account wide helps a bit with moving materials off the TP

I have trash characters with the professions for me. Most players will only level each job once.

Also, the "other MMO I know don't do it" is not a valid argument.

I don't know any MMO that does things like GW2, and I sure hope they don't.

Mounts, meta events, gameplay, and horizontal progression.

What are the benefits of having transferable disciplines as a player though ? What problems does it really solve ? Why bother with such a mind-numbing change when it come to the spaghetti code for Anet ?

Other than that, you can have all crafting discipline on one character if you wish to. All it takes is one second and a very minor cost of less than 1 gold to change your crafting disciplines depending on what you need to craft if you are not into that alt-friendly shenanigans.

All I see is that you may be annoyed of taking 30 seconds of your time switching between characters.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally.. I would really LOVE to clean up my character slots. Right now I have a two rangers. One of them is very old.. I stopped playing him cause of him beeing a Sylvari, which I do not fancy i gues.. I want to delete him, !BUT!, he is maxed out in weaponsmithing and huntsman.. If I could transfer these diciplines to my other ranger, it would be awesome! Also, I want to make a new mesmer.. But my current mesmer i maxed out artificier..

I do not understand why they have not added this as a GemStore product..

I would like to move one of my crafting to other character, so accout recipies would be good.

Experience points? Who cares, I get millions of experience and it doesn't go anywhere anymore.

It's not about exp, it's about invested money and time.

> @"Garn.7502" said:

> True. The whole crafting system needs some looking at.

I agree. While crafting could be fun and interesting. In GW2 crafting is not so good, more like money sink at the moment. Most of items what can be made in crafting aren't worth of selling, because it cost more money to make the item what you get it from TP. Hole economy around crafting is disfunctional. There isn't even here forum section for "Crafting", that tells alot about state of crafting in GW2. Hole system need's to be redesign.

I was just crafting ring, one of material was needed 750 piece, just for one ring.

Also why items are soul bound at all? Accout bound is more than enough.

How many games actually have an interesting crafting system? Most are just "watch the progress bar move".

Path of Exile's crafting can be interesting if you understand how all the parts of that puzzle works together but the item and economy are a completely different. An item can be trash or treasure depending on the needs of a build and some properties are good enough that just having it can justify all other stats on the item being useless.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> How many games actually have an interesting crafting system? Most are just "watch the progress bar move".

You are right, there aren't really many good interesting crafting systems as far I know, some may little more interactive than this, but almost all are the same. It's like nobody even tries to make good one. I do remember Ryzom had interesting material gathering system, it even has group gathering. I have never used/seen Final Fantasy crafting, but some say it's good.

I don't think GW2 developers can change too much crafting system it self, but they could improve it. They should at least try to make crafting economy to work. I mean GW2 crafting side doesn't really offer much for players. It's almost like leveling crafting up and making ascended gears are the only purpose it has. As long you don't count it as just for money sink.

I think part of why the crafting system is failing, is that GW2 economy around crafting has become disfunctional. Too many green and blue item supply from everywhere.

They should remove almost all blue and green items from loot/rewards and replace them with something else, at least loots above begining zones. I mean many higher level characters doesn't need blue or green items, they however get alot of them, higher level rewards should be targeted better. Hole reward system has become little bit obsolite in many ways, because TP based economy has slowly changed. Also there should not even be blue items above level 40-60, even in crafting.

Crafting items while leveling is almost all about blue and green items. If these items supplay as economy would be more in the crafting side, it could make hole crafting experience better, as worth of doing for everyone. Of cause if there is still too many crafters and supply, then it would require new ways to balancing crafting material requirements and material supplay. So that supplay and demand would be more balance.

Interface could also be little better, now it's just big list of stuff.