Obtaining gold isn't fun, and this is a problem.

Sylv.6514

> @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > I agree with you in as much as I do not enjoy the scrounging aspect of GW2 a lot, but what really puzzles me... 1g/h? Surely that must be a gross exaggeration or your really have no idea what you are doing at all.

>

> unless all you do is farming, 1G/h is quite allot.....

How do you play if you consider finding 4 rare items in one hour difficult? You get bombared with items just by setting foot into drizzlewood.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > I'm going to put this out there: If your whole reason to play GW2 is to gather gold, then nothing will be fun. You're just going to look at playing GW2 as a means to an end.

>

> People play GW2 for many reasons. It doesn't all have to be about conflict. I personally do a variety of things in the game but following a gathering routing helps fight off depression. Doing it without getting tagged by creatures is fun; sort of like the concept of '[counting coup](https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counting_coup)'. I love getting creatures to fight while I'm gathering. I wish there was a 'counting coup' endless achievement that rewards for getting chests and farming around hostile creatures near some of the farms without taking damage.

>

> Gathering is like shopping but in the time of covid 19 real world shopping isn't fun anymore. Also part of gathering is making gold to spend in the game. If someone wants to be a supplier of materials and they enjoy it then for them it's not a wrong way to play the game. Someone has to gather the materials people craft with. If it's someone that enjoys it then why say they are doing it wrong?

>

I agree ... but that doesn't really change what I said. If the focus is earning gold and the activities are just the way to get it ... it's not going to be that fun.

The best way to make gold in this game is to avoid playing the game almost entirely and get other people to do the hard work for you. Alternatively, if you like exploring, you can repeatedly do world completions for Gifts of Exploration and vis a vis sell them for ~500g a pop.

You don't really make money in game though. You get other people to burn their spirit shards to convert mats for you so you can craft 10 leggies while you give them one as their payment for farming up 20k spirit shards for you. You don't sell things on the TP because the TP tax eats profits; you sell, buy and do most of your serious trading on Reddit.

If you're running around SIlverwastes farming for coin, that'd be fine if you enjoyed it, but who you know, what you can provide for them and who you can get to do what for you is all that really matters in the end. Everything else is tedium and busywork.

> @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

>

> Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> >

> > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

>

> What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

Where’s your math behind this? Full clears have never yielded that much for me unless I get a lucky drop. I get about half of what you’re claiming.

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> >

> > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

>

> What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

Because you get 2g or 4g per kill, not between 5g and 10g. The way you typed it is stupidly misleading. If you only kill W5-7 then sure, you may end up with that. But if you do a wing from W1-4 expecting 5-10g/boss you're gonna end up really disappointed. It's really RNG on what exotic you have drop, and whether it is armour or a weapon.

You're capped at 150 magnetite and gaeting crystals a week, you can't make magnetite into gaeting crystals. The Djinn doubloon is 39g at sell price, and costs 150 crystals + 20g, so you're gaining about 15g from that after fees, assuming you can sell it at sell price and do not have other uses for the crystals. The Peerless Infusion is around 390g and costs 2000 crystals + 20g, it takes a while to get 2000 crystals and is less profit than the doubloon. I can't think of a single item for magnetites that gives any sort of profit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> > > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> > >

> > > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

> >

> > What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

>

> Where’s your math behind this? Full clears have never yielded that much for me unless I get a lucky drop. I get about half of what you’re claiming.

You can get 25 LI/LD a week, which essentially means you get 25 liquid gold rewards. Assuming the two double wings are W1 and W7, you're getting 28g from those and 36g from the remaining ones. I can't for the life of me remember how much gold you get from Gate and Bandits before Sabetha, but add those on too. It's a lot of gold, but it also takes a fair bit of time (the less time the more experienced you/your group are). This means 64g, add up the exotics you get drop, it goes up even more, but it's RNG at that point. It's still rarely going to be 90g after food, and 15g of that requires you to spend all the gaeting crystals you get that week.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> > > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> > >

> > > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

> >

> > What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

>

> Because you get 2g or 4g per kill, not between 5g and 10g. The way you typed it is stupidly misleading. If you only kill W5-7 then sure, you may end up with that. But if you do a wing from W1-4 expecting 5-10g/boss you're gonna end up really disappointed. It's really RNG on what exotic you have drop, and whether it is armour or a weapon.

>

> You're capped at 150 magnetite and gaeting crystals a week, you can't make magnetite into gaeting crystals. The Djinn doubloon is 39g at sell price, and costs 150 crystals + 20g, so you're gaining about 15g from that after fees, assuming you can sell it at sell price and do not have other uses for the crystals. The Peerless Infusion is around 390g and costs 2000 crystals + 20g, it takes a while to get 2000 crystals and is less profit than the doubloon. I can't think of a single item for magnetites that gives any sort of profit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

>

>

At work but here the figures you presented. Gold /kill 2-4 so let's say 3 gold average. 25 reward boxes for full clears per week. Average result is 75 gold per week. If we include 25 drops I can see this number being reasonably close to my estimate. Let me know what you think.

Cheers

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > @"panzerdragon.8791" said:

> > > > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> > > >

> > > > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

> > >

> > > What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

> >

> > Where’s your math behind this? Full clears have never yielded that much for me unless I get a lucky drop. I get about half of what you’re claiming.

>

> You can get 25 LI/LD a week, which essentially means you get 25 liquid gold rewards. Assuming the two double wings are W1 and W7, you're getting 28g from those and 36g from the remaining ones. I can't for the life of me remember how much gold you get from Gate and Bandits before Sabetha, but add those on too. It's a lot of gold, but it also takes a fair bit of time (the less time the more experienced you/your group are). This means 64g, add up the exotics you get drop, it goes up even more, but it's RNG at that point. It's still rarely going to be 90g after food, and 15g of that requires you to spend all the gaeting crystals you get that week.

I see where you are coming from. Perhaps your numbers are more in line with reality. Either way the the gold intake is very low to keep up with constant crafting.

Thanks for your clarifications .

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > I'm in the same spot as op. Legendary armor cost about 250 per piece. Daily fracs net about 30 gold per day. Raids only pay between 5 and 10 gold per kill , so a full clear runs about 90 gold after food. Mystic clovers are ridiculous to roll for as well. If I'm crafting then yes things are very tight.

> > > >

> > > > Lol what? A boss gives you 2g or 4g, plus magnetite shards and an exotic weapon, plus the chance for raid specific drop. That's kitten.

> > >

> > > What exactly is lol about the data. Liquid gold and tradable items across 7 wings net minimum 90ish gold.

> >

> > Because you get 2g or 4g per kill, not between 5g and 10g. The way you typed it is stupidly misleading. If you only kill W5-7 then sure, you may end up with that. But if you do a wing from W1-4 expecting 5-10g/boss you're gonna end up really disappointed. It's really RNG on what exotic you have drop, and whether it is armour or a weapon.

> >

> > You're capped at 150 magnetite and gaeting crystals a week, you can't make magnetite into gaeting crystals. The Djinn doubloon is 39g at sell price, and costs 150 crystals + 20g, so you're gaining about 15g from that after fees, assuming you can sell it at sell price and do not have other uses for the crystals. The Peerless Infusion is around 390g and costs 2000 crystals + 20g, it takes a while to get 2000 crystals and is less profit than the doubloon. I can't think of a single item for magnetites that gives any sort of profit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> >

> >

>

> At work but here the figures you presented. Gold /kill 2-4 so let's say 3 gold average. 25 reward boxes for full clears per week. Average result is 75 gold per week. If we include 25 drops I can see this number being reasonably close to my estimate. Let me know what you think.

>

> Cheers

It’s either 2G or 4G depending on whether it’s W7 or has the buff. The other five wings will give 2G per encounter that rewards gold. You averaging it to 3G is misleading.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Where’s your math behind this? Full clears have never yielded that much for me unless I get a lucky drop. I get about half of what you’re claiming.

>

> You can get 25 LI/LD a week, which essentially means you get 25 liquid gold rewards. Assuming the two double wings are W1 and W7, you're getting 28g from those and 36g from the remaining ones.

I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion. Many of them were just regular events that Anet later added LI to.

> I can't for the life of me remember how much gold you get from Gate and Bandits before Sabetha, but add those on too.

You don’t get any beyond whatever a standard event in the game gives perhaps.

> It's a lot of gold, but it also takes a fair bit of time (the less time the more experienced you/your group are). This means 64g, add up the exotics you get drop, it goes up even more, but it's RNG at that point. It's still rarely going to be 90g after food, and 15g of that requires you to spend all the gaeting crystals you get that week.

I get maybe 10-15G worth of exotics depending on whether I get lucky with good sigils/runes. There’s nothing to sell with shards/crystals other than infusions and those take more than a week to obtain enough for.

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Because you get 2g or 4g per kill, not between 5g and 10g. The way you typed it is stupidly misleading. If you only kill W5-7 then sure, you may end up with that. But if you do a wing from W1-4 expecting 5-10g/boss you're gonna end up really disappointed. It's really RNG on what exotic you have drop, and whether it is armour or a weapon.

> >

> > You're capped at 150 magnetite and gaeting crystals a week, you can't make magnetite into gaeting crystals. The Djinn doubloon is 39g at sell price, and costs 150 crystals + 20g, so you're gaining about 15g from that after fees, assuming you can sell it at sell price and do not have other uses for the crystals. The Peerless Infusion is around 390g and costs 2000 crystals + 20g, it takes a while to get 2000 crystals and is less profit than the doubloon. I can't think of a single item for magnetites that gives any sort of profit. Correct me if I'm wrong.

> >

> >

>

> At work but here the figures you presented. Gold /kill 2-4 so let's say 3 gold average. 25 reward boxes for full clears per week. Average result is 75 gold per week. If we include 25 drops I can see this number being reasonably close to my estimate. Let me know what you think.

>

> Cheers

No, the average is not 3g. Only one wing of W1-4 is doubled, and only one wing of W5-7 is doubled. That makes the average 2.57g assuming they all have the same number of encounters, which they do not - some have 3 some have 4. This makes it 64g not 75g. That is 15% less than what you're saying.

Raiding still makes good gold, but it's probably something that you do not do ONLY for the gold. Wing 5 and 6 are especially difficult.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

>

> I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

>

Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

I have been playing on and off for 8 years and sometimes I take a year break.

I never ever farmed gold. I do not have the patience for running around in a circle doing the same thing over and over again.

Instead I just play all aspects of the game, even dungeons. Just whatever is fun for me at the time.

I always save my gold and sell any unwanted mats in my bank that I have. You'd be surprised at the amount of gold you actually have.

I now have many legendaries just as a product of the fun I've had in this game.

You can look at others for inspiration, but don't try to be them. Be your own self, forge your own story and do you.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> >

> > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> >

> Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > >

> > > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> > >

> > Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

>

> Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

You skip Spirit Run? The event between VG and Gorseval, which also gives an LI, every week? :no_mouth:

@panzerdragon.8791

I actually take it back. Assuming 64g from liquid gold, 10-15g from exotics, AND you selling the Djinn Doubloon for 10-15g profit, it's pretty close to 90g. Obviously take a couple of gold off for food, and know that it could be less than 10g from exotics some weeks, and there is still TP fees, but aside from the 5g-10g/boss thing, what you said is not that far from the truth. I did not factor in the doubloon with the exotics correctly above.

I still argue that raids are not good purely for gold, if you consider the time it takes for an average player with no static to make a full clear. But if you find them fun, then... it's a really nice bonus each week.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > >

> > > > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> > > >

> > > Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

> >

> > Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

>

> You skip Spirit Run? The event between VG and Gorseval, which also gives an LI, every week? :no_mouth:

We all have no use for LI as there’s no sink for them once you have enough for all the armor weights and ring.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> > > > >

> > > > Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

> > >

> > > Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

> >

> > You skip Spirit Run? The event between VG and Gorseval, which also gives an LI, every week? :no_mouth:

>

> We all have no use for LI as there’s no sink for them once you have enough for all the armor weights and ring.

Yeah I was confused more as to why you'd skip something that takes about 3 minutes and still gives gold, and also how you'd skip it? You do VG and get an opener for Gorse? It just doesn't seem that efficient.

> @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> > > > > >

> > > > > Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

> > > >

> > > > Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

> > >

> > > You skip Spirit Run? The event between VG and Gorseval, which also gives an LI, every week? :no_mouth:

> >

> > We all have no use for LI as there’s no sink for them once you have enough for all the armor weights and ring.

>

> Yeah I was confused more as to why you'd skip something that takes about 3 minutes and still gives gold, and also how you'd skip it? You do VG and get an opener for Gorse? It just doesn't seem that efficient.

There are players from various clear groups that group up and do the encounters beforehand so that they be an opener for their groups.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > @"Lottie.5370" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I’ll have to check but I don’t recall encounters that don’t have a boss as providing gold on completion.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Spirit Run in Spirit Vale does not have a boss, yet gives gold and an LI. Gate in W7 also gives gold, but not an LD.

> > > > >

> > > > > Ah. We always skip those two so I wasn’t sure.

> > > >

> > > > You skip Spirit Run? The event between VG and Gorseval, which also gives an LI, every week? :no_mouth:

> > >

> > > We all have no use for LI as there’s no sink for them once you have enough for all the armor weights and ring.

> >

> > Yeah I was confused more as to why you'd skip something that takes about 3 minutes and still gives gold, and also how you'd skip it? You do VG and get an opener for Gorse? It just doesn't seem that efficient.

>

> There are players from various clear groups that group up and do the encounters beforehand so that they be an opener for their groups.

I know that... I've just never seen anyone bother to skip that one.

Just did some gathering to check the actual g/h using https://gw2efficiency.com/account/farming-tracker

!(https://i.imgur.com/3C9tfeb.jpg)

That is way more than "1g per hour"

The set of WPs used for that in case anyone is interested. Stick it into a spare guild slot's MOTD to make it easier to use.

1 [&BGMAAAA=][&BEEBAAA=][&BAQAAAA=]

2 [&BBIAAAA=][&BPMAAAA=][&BPwAAAA=]

3 [&BKsAAAA=][&BJMBAAA=][&BFEGAAA=]

4 [&BL8AAAA=][&BF4BAAA=][&BB4CAAA=]

5 [&BBoCAAA=][&BO4BAAA=][&BO8BAAA=]

6 [&BP0BAAA=][&BEsBAAA=][&BGUCAAA=]

7 [&BFICAAA=][&BNQCAAA=][&BMkCAAA=]

8 [&BK0BAAA=][&BMkBAAA=][&BKgCAAA=]

9 [&BKYCAAA=][&BK8CAAA=][&BOQGAAA=]

Using these tools

Molten sickle with Glyph of the Herbalist, the glyph is bad but I bought one before knowing that :(

Molten axe without any glyph

Molten pick with Glyph of the Watchknight, the sprockets accounted for 3g79s60c

> @"DirtyDan.4759" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > I agree with you in as much as I do not enjoy the scrounging aspect of GW2 a lot, but what really puzzles me... 1g/h? Surely that must be a gross exaggeration or your really have no idea what you are doing at all.

> >

> > unless all you do is farming, 1G/h is quite allot.....

>

> How do you play if you consider finding 4 rare items in one hour difficult? You get bombared with items just by setting foot into drizzlewood.

> @"DirtyDan.4759" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > > @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > > I agree with you in as much as I do not enjoy the scrounging aspect of GW2 a lot, but what really puzzles me... 1g/h? Surely that must be a gross exaggeration or your really have no idea what you are doing at all.

> >

> > unless all you do is farming, 1G/h is quite allot.....

>

> How do you play if you consider finding 4 rare items in one hour difficult? You get bombared with items just by setting foot into drizzlewood.

then you must be lucky, the best i get in an hour is 1 single cheap rare and a bunch of masterwork junk worth about 2-3 silver.

Obtaining *anything* in GW2 isn't all that fun. It's mostly [do this event 15-100 times for some achievement-related things] or some 40-item hide-and-seek collection, all designed to pad game time instead of *fun* time.

Gold itself is gradual, but easy. Not a huge problem, except for the super-rare items that cost out the nose to get due to low drop rates, while 'common' items are near worthless due to insufficient sinks. We're only just recently starting to see that get better in Drizzlewood and the annual Zephyrite trade-ins. ..not that cloth and leather ever got a consistent means of acquisition..

> @"Sylv.6514" said:

>Playing literally all day to enjoy the activities i like then seeing i only made like 1g per hour is just sad. Especially considering how old this game is.

If you are only making 1g an hour OW gathering you are doing it poorly.... very very poorly.

Maybe start improving your route, buffing yourself correctly, dealing with trash mobs better.

Because 1g/hour for gathering mats Open World is more indicative of a problem with how you are playing than a problem with the game.