Staff DD: Useless for sPvP?

Dido.9148

Please don't throw the pitchforks at me because I'm new and I'm legitimately curious and concerned about my build.

Staff DD is the only appealing build to me. Not really a fan of daggers or pistols. I understand that D/P seems to be the meta for thief pvp but is there a place for Staff DD in pvp at all, particularly conquest?

I'm still learning about roles in pvp and I know that my primary purpose of to decap and +1, however, i feel like the build overall is...well...lackluster?

I find myself just running around capping points. My damage seem to be lackluster, gets rekt in just about any 1v1 situation, even in team fights my damage feels non-impactful.

Any tips? Is this just a major L2play issue?

Unfortunately the D/P build is what Thief best performs at right now.

People can meme all day about how they have managed to perform well as a node dueling god-monster-thing but when yu actually face players running Meta Bunker Condi builds, Thieves might as well be less than maggots flopping about.

The only way they can perform in the meta is using their absurd mobility and stealth to uncap and +1.

Heck I've seen thieves lose to Condi mesmer these days in spite of the Mesmer nerfs because their damage basically went out the window.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a hijack, but about WvW? I made a Thief specifically for PvP+WvW -- mostly the latter. Lots of the top builds on MetaBattle are Daredevil, so i figured it'd be versatile. I've finally fully unlocked DD, and it feels disappointing compared to D/P. Is it just another case of MetaBattle being wildly outdated?

> @"LSD.4673" said:

> Bit of a hijack, but about WvW? I made a Thief specifically for PvP+WvW -- mostly the latter. Lots of the top builds on MetaBattle are Daredevil, so i figured it'd be versatile. I've finally fully unlocked DD, and it feels disappointing compared to D/P. Is it just another case of MetaBattle being wildly outdated?

I run D/P + staff and it's pretty satisfying as both are really useful imo!

D/P has :

1. best single target damage (HeartSeeker and BackStab),

2. stickiness (with dual wield ability) and

3. stealth access (Black Powder + HS or BP + Bound dodge).

4. best and most available interrupt on 4th ability

Staff has :

1. good CC : Hook Strike (staff's stealth attack) is a 2sec knockdown, 2nd ability puts weakness which is further improved with DD second minor trait and 3rd ability puts cripple with a good duration.

2. best AoE damage

3. harder to pin down thanks to the dodge incorporated into the 5th and 3rd abilities + immobile condition removal.

4. good crowd management between it's AoE damage and easy-to-apply weakness, cripple, vulnerability and blinds.

Also, surprisingly, sigil of celerity + sigil of impact, when opening with the staff's stealth attack, makes for great single target burst too.

• 4 weeks later...

> @"LSD.4673" said:

> Bit of a hijack, but about WvW? I made a Thief specifically for PvP+WvW -- mostly the latter. Lots of the top builds on MetaBattle are Daredevil, so i figured it'd be versatile. I've finally fully unlocked DD, and it feels disappointing compared to D/P. Is it just another case of MetaBattle being wildly outdated?

as someone who has been maining thief in wvw for years i am sad to report that staff thief really doesn't have a place in wvw anymore. You can make it work but the problem is it is outclassed wildly by other stuff atm.