Mount Mechanic Speculation - Climb

WillowFae.9528

My guildmates and I have tossed possible new mount ideas over but didn't come to any conclusions that the current Mounts introduced in PoF had already solved. That is until we settled on "Climb" featuring a Gecko/Lizard mount.

Imagine if you would that you have neither the Griffon nor Skyscale, and the Springer, for all of its massive jumping capabilities, cannot reach that tall cliff holding a boss that everyone is striking down at an alarming rate. Simply utilize Stamina pools for a Climbing Lizard mount to scale the walls with a greater chance of reaching that target; it would sacrifice the speed of the Springer for precision/accuracy with maybe a 'climb-lunge' as an added mechanic for the cost of even more reduced Stamina. Level up your Climber and scaling those surfaces will help the newer players keep up with the others that have flight-advantages.

I'm not illustrating that this is necessary, but it's the only feature that I could think of that may give a plausible inclusion of an additional mount. Content as we are with our current roster, eventually the playerbase will hunger for more, and I honestly think that this would be a perfect choice for that. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Works for me since it would encourage me not to use the Skyscale which often feels like I'm cheating or at leats cheapening the experience.

Ultimately though, would it actually do something the Skyscale can't already do better? I meant flight/hover/surface grab does seem to be a superior mechanic to wall climb

I mean I like it, but unless wall surfaces became something we needed to explore with precision, it feels like a cool thing to have rather than something that is actually needed

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Works for me since it would encourage me not to use the Skyscale which often feels like I'm cheating or at leats cheapening the experience.

>

> Ultimately though, would it actually do something the Skyscale can't already do better? I meant flight/hover/surface grab does seem to be a superior mechanic to wall climb

>

> I mean I like it, but unless wall surfaces became something we needed to explore with precision, it feels like a cool thing to have rather than something that is actually needed

A very excellent point, and I can see why the Skyscale would take the gold medal in most utilities. The only reason I can argue against it, however, is that the Skyscale can 'cling' to walls but cannot climb them, and its Altitude meter often keeps it from scaling (_no pun intended_) to greater heights without having to rest, or be leveled further along its chain to be more efficient at recovering both Altitude and Stamina.

A Climbing mount would also be more accessible to the players that can't afford the time and energy/resources/farming put into getting a Skyscale or Griffon, so it would at least be a reasonable compensation-mount or easier opportunity for them to keep up with the meta-pack in terrain that has several levels to maneuver about. Skyscale is superior in hovering and flight in comparison to the Griffon, saving its elevation and longevity over the cost of its speed in which the Griffon outclasses in some cases, but a Climbing would definitely offer that functionality that would appeal to casual players that desire to do other things or have large workloads at their jobs.

I hope the explanation is acceptable, even if not fully-agreeable!

Make it move slower than most of the other mounts, but then give it a special ability to use its tongue like the grappling hook vine power from earlier LS. NOW it does something the skyscale can't, but doesn't totally invalidate any of the other mounts due to slower speed.

(To clarify, that ability is in addition to climbing walls. So it could pull to a wall, and stick there or climb further.)

The only problem is that any mount that really climbs will remove any remaining barriers on people getting to places they shouldn't be. That might be an issue.

> @"Cynova.1236" said:

> I thought they were gonna give this to the now-scrapped spider mount with the webs. Would be a fun mount.

I think that was going to use the Oakheart's mastery (Spiderman) mechanics instead of actual climbing. There's currently no system for climbing in the game whatsoever, not even simple ladders, so they'd have to make it from scratch.

Imagine a climbing mount in Draconic Mons.

A climbing mount could climb upside down and in to hidden crevasses in places a skyscale and springer couldn't reach.

Ah that is such a good idea.

The only downside I could see is that it might end up being a niche mount like the Beetle. Beetle is useful but not as useful as any of the main mounts. Another downside is that the devs would have to go over every map again with a fine tooth comb and install more invisible walls LOL!

Still...I REALLY love the idea of a climbing mount.

> @"Astyrah.4015" said:

> > @"Obliviscaris.6937" said:

> > I'd rather just have our characters be able to climb.

>

> yes this. instead of a mount or something, i'd rather they just gave us something like a "Climbing Mastery" and let us climb mountains/cliffsides/walls BotW-style

Give us access to a grapple. That'd be revolutionary for the game. And it would see a lot of amazing use in Kaineng City.

I loved the Oakheart mechanic in Draconis, I could get on board with a mount that uses that. Except that the mount would be able to cling to the rock after a grapple. Grapples could be limited by Endurance, but when you cling you should be able to regenerate Endurance so you can do more grapples.

If we would get such a Mount I am afraid the Springer will become totally obsolete though. Although the Skyscale already took care of that. :)

My theory is that Cantha won't introduce new mounts, and instead expand the existing ones, together with new models. For example, a Kirin remodel for the Jackal, or a Saltspray Dragon remodel for the Skyscale. I also expect the raptor and the warclaw to be merged into the same mount as different skins.

Aside from large vehicles and warbeasts (with multiple passenger options), which you won't be able to use outside special areas, I think there's room for just one extra mount, which you might have seen me talk about on other threads:

**The Lobster**

Inspired by the crustacean monsters of the Jade Sea and the scrapped spider mount, the lobster (name not final) would have two main abilities:

* Crawl over vertical surfaces on ground. Gets slower as it climbs, and it will stop advancing after a certain point. The springer and the skyscale would be faster, so the idea is to use this mount to traverse complex terrain and caves where jumping wouldn't be efficient.

* Crawl across the seafloor on water. Instead of floating and swimming like the skimmer, the lobster would work like a normal ground mount underwater, sinking to the bottom and letting you traverse underwater environments on foot.