Raise the sell price limit on the trading post

Ubi.4136

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> It really isn’t. They earned their gold either by paying for it with real money or by playing the game and keeping gold. They have found a way to earn it. You don’t have to like it. To quote Gordon Gecko: ‘greed is good’

And here i thought that Gordon Gecko was the bad guy in that story...

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > It really isn’t. They earned their gold either by paying for it with real money or by playing the game and keeping gold. They have found a way to earn it. You don’t have to like it. To quote Gordon Gecko: ‘greed is good’

> And here i thought that Gordon Gecko was the bad guy in that story...

>

Depends on how old you are... ?

Of course, they DID give him the name of a lizard.....

Maybe they meant Geico?

> > @"Fuchslein.8639" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> > > > Increase the drop rate of these items. They have done it before. Yes they should raise the cap but increasing the drop rate for a handful of items seems easy enough. Items worth more than the TP limit invites people to put buy offers at the limit then sell them outside the TP for huge profit and this simply should not be possible. It takes advantage of players that are unwilling to break the rules and can only sell for the max TP amount.

> > >

> > > Which wouldn’t be an issue if the cap was higher.

> >

> > Would a higher price cap really prevent this? As far as I keep reading reddit and co, most people avoid the TP because of the fee. And there will be a fee if the cap would be increased.

>

> Agreed. Those that are trading at higher levels will continue to do so.

>

> > And to say that an item is worth what it pays is wrong too. Most people have no choice if they want the item sooo much.

>

> .....which is why it’s worth a lot.... Demand. The more something is in demand, the higher it’s price. Lower the price by increasing the supply.

>

> > I know one person who saved for it for over a year because she wanted the Chack Eggsack so much and gave up everything else. And in the end she was mega Happy, but she always said that she doesn't recommend anyone to support something like that. Because after that she had no real desire to play because of these people.

>

> Her desire to play was Not destroyed because of ‘these people’. She put a ton of effort into getting (as a guildie if mine used to say) 1’s and 0’s. It’s pixels.. She burned herself out because she HAD to have something. It’s not the player with the item.

>

> (Keep that in mind if you ever want to sell a house. Make sure you sell it for below market value because some buyer might have to work really hard to afford the price.....)

>

>

> >

> > I mean, what for?

> > 10k is an incredible amount and I don't understand how much you have to love gold to sell an item for even more.

> > And when I read here that there is someone who is buying up all these items to sell them for even more... that's not flipping anymore, that's just greed. And there the buyers have nothing more to talk about in the end. Either they pay the asking price, or they leave it. And for a fashion based game that is supposed to be fun, that is a pretty bad tactic.

>

> It really isn’t. They earned their gold either by paying for it with real money or by playing the game and keeping gold. They have found a way to earn it. You don’t have to like it. To quote Gordon Gecko: ‘greed is good’

This has the same energy as saying you should just stop playing the game because you are critical of something ... but with an item and comparing RL for a game.

I myself do not say btw that these people are to blame. Even though I don't understand how much one can be invested in a game to sell Items through Reddit and Co. But this is just my way of playing and the other is their way of playing, I have no say in it.

I see the blame here mainly on Anet, that they create such a shortage that most players will never own these items, even if they save for years.

I don't understand why Anet doesn't want to adjust the drop rate so that it falls to the level of the Invisible Boots or something.

Take raids as a comparison. While we are on comparisons ;) . Everyone is complaining that such a thing has no place in a casual game like GW2, because it's just too hard for the majority, no matter what the reasons are.

But then where do such items have the right to be so expensive that the majority of players(much more people who simply cannot find access to raids) will never be able to afford them if they don't give up everything else?

> And let’s say your suggestion to raise the limit comes into being: would you allow a refund of all listing fees of items listed BEFORE the cap was raised?

>

> Because without doing that, those people who listed it before, would have a definitive grievance about their listing fees

Um actually a terrible point. There are no listing's at 10k for these infusions. It's not like my 10 k chak infusion is sitting there and no one is buying it. There are 545 buy orders for it tho. So no one has to relist but any player that gets the drop now can get 20 k for his infusion or w/e the new max becomes w/o risking the black market or even not knowing how to use the black market

> @"Jilora.9524" said:

> > And let’s say your suggestion to raise the limit comes into being: would you allow a refund of all listing fees of items listed BEFORE the cap was raised?

> >

> > Because without doing that, those people who listed it before, would have a definitive grievance about their listing fees

>

> Um actually a terrible point. There are no listing's at 10k for these infusions. It's not like my 10 k chak infusion is sitting there and no one is buying it. There are 545 buy orders for it tho. So no one has to relist but any player that gets the drop now can get 20 k for his infusion or w/e the new max becomes w/o risking the black market or even not knowing how to use the black market

You have a good point. Was thinking this part bassackwards.

> @"Fuchslein.8639" said:

> > > @"Fuchslein.8639" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Super Hayes.6890" said:

> > > > > Increase the drop rate of these items. They have done it before. Yes they should raise the cap but increasing the drop rate for a handful of items seems easy enough. Items worth more than the TP limit invites people to put buy offers at the limit then sell them outside the TP for huge profit and this simply should not be possible. It takes advantage of players that are unwilling to break the rules and can only sell for the max TP amount.

> > > >

> > > > Which wouldn’t be an issue if the cap was higher.

> > >

> > > Would a higher price cap really prevent this? As far as I keep reading reddit and co, most people avoid the TP because of the fee. And there will be a fee if the cap would be increased.

> >

> > Agreed. Those that are trading at higher levels will continue to do so.

> >

> > > And to say that an item is worth what it pays is wrong too. Most people have no choice if they want the item sooo much.

> >

> > .....which is why it’s worth a lot.... Demand. The more something is in demand, the higher it’s price. Lower the price by increasing the supply.

> >

> > > I know one person who saved for it for over a year because she wanted the Chack Eggsack so much and gave up everything else. And in the end she was mega Happy, but she always said that she doesn't recommend anyone to support something like that. Because after that she had no real desire to play because of these people.

> >

> > Her desire to play was Not destroyed because of ‘these people’. She put a ton of effort into getting (as a guildie if mine used to say) 1’s and 0’s. It’s pixels.. She burned herself out because she HAD to have something. It’s not the player with the item.

> >

> > (Keep that in mind if you ever want to sell a house. Make sure you sell it for below market value because some buyer might have to work really hard to afford the price.....)

> >

> >

> > >

> > > I mean, what for?

> > > 10k is an incredible amount and I don't understand how much you have to love gold to sell an item for even more.

> > > And when I read here that there is someone who is buying up all these items to sell them for even more... that's not flipping anymore, that's just greed. And there the buyers have nothing more to talk about in the end. Either they pay the asking price, or they leave it. And for a fashion based game that is supposed to be fun, that is a pretty bad tactic.

> >

> > It really isn’t. They earned their gold either by paying for it with real money or by playing the game and keeping gold. They have found a way to earn it. You don’t have to like it. To quote Gordon Gecko: ‘greed is good’

>

> This has the same energy as saying you should just stop playing the game because you are critical of something ... but with an item and comparing RL for a game.

>

> I myself do not say btw that these people are to blame. Even though I don't understand how much one can be invested in a game to sell Items through Reddit and Co. But this is just my way of playing and the other is their way of playing, I have no say in it.

> I see the blame here mainly on Anet, that they create such a shortage that most players will never own these items, even if they save for years.

> I don't understand why Anet doesn't want to adjust the drop rate so that it falls to the level of the Invisible Boots or something.

>

> Take raids as a comparison. While we are on comparisons ;) . Everyone is complaining that such a thing has no place in a casual game like GW2, because it's just too hard for the majority, no matter what the reasons are.

> But then where do such items have the right to be so expensive that the majority of players(much more people who simply cannot find access to raids) will never be able to afford them if they don't give up everything else?

I don’t complain about raids. Nor do I complain about listing prices.

Her lack of continued motivation is no one

Else’s fault but hers. No one forced her to grind for a cosmetic nor do people force anyone to grind training to get the raid armor.

It is a choice. She, and the people who complain about raids have choices.

And item isn’t expensive because the item chooses to be. People make that item expensive because of the demand for it.

No demand=no expense.

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> If they increase the limit to 100k or even 1kk, it will change nothing. The next super-rare drop will automatically be listed for the TP maximum. Not because it is worth the price, but because people think this is a _smart_ move. A lot of the items which are traded on the black-market are nowhere near as expensive as they are claimed to be.

>

> Increasing the limit once may just lead to increase it over and over, because people tend to list rare stuff on cap.

No, this is not how it works.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > > @"Ubi.4136" said:

> > > There are items that drop in game that are worth more than 10k gold.

> >

> > I don't think any item should be worth over 10k gold.

>

> Nah, it's fine. Just nobody going to pay the TP tax for valuable items.

Gold's gotta leave the economy somehow.

And i think players should never be allowed to decide the prices of anything themselves, because as i'm sure we all know, people are greedy. You might say "it's only worth as much as someone is paying for it!" or something like that, and while true, it just proves my point: everyone is greedy. Which is to say, just another day on planet earth. *sigh*

> @"Tiilimon.6094" said:

> Basically anything a new player might need in the game drops in such quantities, that there will always be a cheap source even if the TP maximum prices were pushed up to a billion.

> There are already plenty of individuals playing the game who could just buy all t6 materials off the trading post and reprice em as they like to 10k, but they will have to stay online 247 to keep buying things as they are listed, and they can't stop the cheaper stuff that people are instantly selling to people who order em for low prices.

>

> If you don't sell or buy items over 10k, this change would never affect you at all in any way tbh.

>

> People generally are afraid of things they don't seem to understand, and I see a lot of that sort of fear in this thread.

Except it will eventually affect everything in the game. When you don't cap what players can sell for, they sell for what they think someone will pay. As players start generating more funds, other items start going up, and it doesn't take very long at all before a Minor Fire Sigil is a few hundred gold. I've seen base items listed in a game's AH for billions of the game's currency. Not capped, maxed out gear, but the base items. That's not a typo either, billions. By the time they started trying to add significant sinks for the currency, it was way too late.

So no, I'd rather not see the currency devalued so badly that new players looking for odds and ends see those prices, look at what they generate a day, and just quit.

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"Tiilimon.6094" said:

> > Basically anything a new player might need in the game drops in such quantities, that there will always be a cheap source even if the TP maximum prices were pushed up to a billion.

> > There are already plenty of individuals playing the game who could just buy all t6 materials off the trading post and reprice em as they like to 10k, but they will have to stay online 247 to keep buying things as they are listed, and they can't stop the cheaper stuff that people are instantly selling to people who order em for low prices.

> >

> > If you don't sell or buy items over 10k, this change would never affect you at all in any way tbh.

> >

> > People generally are afraid of things they don't seem to understand, and I see a lot of that sort of fear in this thread.

>

> Except it will eventually affect everything in the game. When you don't cap what players can sell for, they sell for what they think someone will pay. As players start generating more funds, other items start going up, and it doesn't take very long at all before a Minor Fire Sigil is a few hundred gold. I've seen base items listed in a game's AH for billions of the game's currency. Not capped, maxed out gear, but the base items. That's not a typo either, billions. By the time they started trying to add significant sinks for the currency, it was way too late.

>

> So no, I'd rather not see the currency devalued so badly that new players looking for odds and ends see those prices, look at what they generate a day, and just quit.

What you're suggesting would never happen. Increasing the cap would only impact the items that have hit it.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > @"Tiilimon.6094" said:

> > > Basically anything a new player might need in the game drops in such quantities, that there will always be a cheap source even if the TP maximum prices were pushed up to a billion.

> > > There are already plenty of individuals playing the game who could just buy all t6 materials off the trading post and reprice em as they like to 10k, but they will have to stay online 247 to keep buying things as they are listed, and they can't stop the cheaper stuff that people are instantly selling to people who order em for low prices.

> > >

> > > If you don't sell or buy items over 10k, this change would never affect you at all in any way tbh.

> > >

> > > People generally are afraid of things they don't seem to understand, and I see a lot of that sort of fear in this thread.

> >

> > Except it will eventually affect everything in the game. When you don't cap what players can sell for, they sell for what they think someone will pay. As players start generating more funds, other items start going up, and it doesn't take very long at all before a Minor Fire Sigil is a few hundred gold. I've seen base items listed in a game's AH for billions of the game's currency. Not capped, maxed out gear, but the base items. That's not a typo either, billions. By the time they started trying to add significant sinks for the currency, it was way too late.

> >

> > So no, I'd rather not see the currency devalued so badly that new players looking for odds and ends see those prices, look at what they generate a day, and just quit.

>

> What you're suggesting would never happen.

What I'm suggesting has already happened. It's even happened to more than just the one MMO. They just recently changed publishers, who took a look at the in game economy, and wiped the servers. I'm not buying "But this is GW 2, people aren't that greedy here", or similar, in a thread insisting that the max sell price for items be raised above what it is now.

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > > > @"Tiilimon.6094" said:

> > > > Basically anything a new player might need in the game drops in such quantities, that there will always be a cheap source even if the TP maximum prices were pushed up to a billion.

> > > > There are already plenty of individuals playing the game who could just buy all t6 materials off the trading post and reprice em as they like to 10k, but they will have to stay online 247 to keep buying things as they are listed, and they can't stop the cheaper stuff that people are instantly selling to people who order em for low prices.

> > > >

> > > > If you don't sell or buy items over 10k, this change would never affect you at all in any way tbh.

> > > >

> > > > People generally are afraid of things they don't seem to understand, and I see a lot of that sort of fear in this thread.

> > >

> > > Except it will eventually affect everything in the game. When you don't cap what players can sell for, they sell for what they think someone will pay. As players start generating more funds, other items start going up, and it doesn't take very long at all before a Minor Fire Sigil is a few hundred gold. I've seen base items listed in a game's AH for billions of the game's currency. Not capped, maxed out gear, but the base items. That's not a typo either, billions. By the time they started trying to add significant sinks for the currency, it was way too late.

> > >

> > > So no, I'd rather not see the currency devalued so badly that new players looking for odds and ends see those prices, look at what they generate a day, and just quit.

> >

> > What you're suggesting would never happen.

>

> What I'm suggesting has already happened. It's even happened to more than just the one MMO. They just recently changed publishers, who took a look at the in game economy, and wiped the servers. I'm not buying "But this is GW 2, people aren't that greedy here", or similar, in a thread insisting that the max sell price for items be raised above what it is now.

Please provide examples and include **all** of the information to back them up.

It makes zero sense for the cap to impact items in this game unless it was already limiting them. Raising the cap isn't going to magically cause minor sigil prices to suddenly inflate.

Saying that it would essentially ignores basic economic theory. It doesn’t change the demand for an item. It doesn’t change the supply for an item. It certainly doesn’t impact the available gold that players have to spend on the item. But by all means... please provide the logic behind how raising the cap would cause all prices to inflate.

I would also like to see the examples, as I play a lot of MMOs and have never heard of such a thing happening, ever.

Fear mongering and tall tales I'd say.

edit: The example item here was a minor sigil of fire, right?

I'm just gonna say that the sigil bags can be bought for some map currencies, guild currency and karma, so I don't think it would ever raise in price, and trying to sell one for a hundred gold would simply make it stay in the TP till the end of days.

How much of an increase would it have to be though?

As I would guess that +0.1% wouldn't really bring the prices down that much, considering that there's a lot of people willing to buy these for 10k+

10%? Then everyone would have one in a few hours of farming and buying them would seem kinda pointless.