How good (or bad) is Chrono support?

Veprovina.4876

I'm thinking of switching to like, full minstrel or something and going support.

I know it's not like it used to be, but is it horrible, or can i do something with it?

Also, how hard will it be to do open world content with it? Since it has no power whatsoever...

Mostly WvW and Fractals content. Some open world when i need collections or whatever.

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> Like solo open world content? Forget it, minstrel Chrono has no damage at all.

Yup! That's what i was worried about.

And i don't mean solo champions, just that i can get by on the map without dying to a regular or veteran mob.

Would that damage be sufficient to just survive?

And do hearts that require killing mobs?

So I took my Chrono to Drizzlewood Coast and put her in full Minstrel gear. Weapons were GS and sword/fokus. I picked the same traits and utilities I usually have for WvW roaming. My opinion is: It is doable, but tedious. It works, but it it takes much longer to kill stuff. And while you don't take as much damage, fights last much longer. So you end up taking more damage that way. If you are okay with a very slow laid back playstyle this might work for you.

> @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> Mostly WvW

on wvw u can take any build, class, and armor, no one care. Target - get fun.

> and Fractals content.

on fractals current mechanic not acceptable for most fractals, where u need put wells and wait wait wait 3 tick .. so they current wells is not acceptable and smell fail ..

Also as support chrno anyway u need have deviner set, and make not only boon but and more than average 8k+ dps if we talk about normal party ..

>Some open world

any build, class, and armor,

the wvw build on metabattle is dumb. you need to spam traited mantra of pain for heals or else its not support, just a regular utility mes. i highly recommend taking mantra of concentration for a good stunbreak and tell your commander he is an idiot if he thinks walking into wvw zergs without a stunbreak is a good idea. yes you lose a utility slot but boo hoo.

something like this:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAYx3lZgNhViJz2LA-zVJYjK1McJ47s43mF-w

It was good before when they didn’t nerf the signet of inspiration but now it’s just....people want us for Alac/Quick and that’s it....but even so, ANET is giving our boons/utilities to other professions so....

Here’s hoping EoD gives us something on par to what FBs have...(healing/boon wise)

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> So I took my Chrono to Drizzlewood Coast and put her in full Minstrel gear. Weapons were GS and sword/fokus. I picked the same traits and utilities I usually have for WvW roaming. My opinion is: It is doable, but tedious. It works, but it it takes much longer to kill stuff. And while you don't take as much damage, fights last much longer. So you end up taking more damage that way. If you are okay with a very slow laid back playstyle this might work for you.

Thanks! I hope you had legendary and could switch easily! :astonished: And that you didn't waste your money on trying this out.

Anyway, thanks for the test. So it's doable but tedious. Well, if i end up switching to minstrel, i'll be glad to know it's not a one trick pony and that i can do content with it.

I'm already low damage with Wanderer's gear, Minstrel is basically the same but swaps power for healing. And that power isn't really big anyway i think, idk...

Thanks for trying it out!!! :smile:

> @"lare.5129" said:

> > @"Veprovina.4876" said:

> > Mostly WvW

> on wvw u can take any build, class, and armor, no one care. Target - get fun.

>

> > and Fractals content.

> on fractals current mechanic not acceptable for most fractals, where u need put wells and wait wait wait 3 tick .. so they current wells is not acceptable and smell fail ..

> Also as support chrno anyway u need have deviner set, and make not only boon but and more than average 8k+ dps if we talk about normal party ..

>

> >Some open world

> any build, class, and armor,

>

Not really, i mean, you can't just take your Raids build and expect to do well in WvW.

There's tons of people compaining on the forums how WvW sucks and they get instakilled by everything and everyone is toxic for killing them, and when you investigate further - They're running berserker's gear and are expecting to do their PvE rotations on people, like, seriously? Yeah, good idea going in with no defense...

Also, if you want to be useful to idk, your guild in WvW raiding, then it's good to actually think about your build, not just "take whatever".

The "whatever" approach might work if you're following a zerg, that's basically PvE and fights rarely happen. But if you're actively looking for fights, then it's another story.

> @"Stand The Wall.6987" said:

> the wvw build on metabattle is dumb. you need to spam traited mantra of pain for heals or else its not support, just a regular utility mes. i highly recommend taking mantra of concentration for a good stunbreak and tell your commander he is an idiot if he thinks walking into wvw zergs without a stunbreak is a good idea. yes you lose a utility slot but boo hoo.

> something like this:

> http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwAYx3lZgNhViJz2LA-zVJYjK1McJ47s43mF-w

I'm not using the metabattle build, it's weird yeah. I'm using a build my guild gave me. I like it, but i think i can do more with it - so i'm considering options. I tried the mantra heal thing, but eh, you need healing power on your gear for that, otherwise it's crap.

Also, my commander knows what he's doing. :wink: We have stunbreaks and clenses in our configuration.

> @"Tseison.4659" said:

> It was good before when they didn’t nerf the signet of inspiration but now it’s just....people want us for Alac/Quick and that’s it....but even so, ANET is giving our boons/utilities to other professions so....

>

> Here’s hoping EoD gives us something on par to what FBs have...(healing/boon wise)

Yeah, funny how other professions get to have our stuff, but mesmers don't get anything. Necros can now portal, seemingly everyone can do alacrity... Eh...

> @"Aceofsppades.6873" said:

> In wvw its a good build.

>

> In fractals its pretty bad, fb and ren have taken over the quickness and alac roles for that content.

Yeah, that's what i mostly do, so i'm basing this build to first be good in WvW, and then other content.

I also have a Berserker for fractals and that's an easy DPS right now so i mostly do Fractals with him anyway.

> > @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > It was good before when they didn’t nerf the signet of inspiration but now it’s just....people want us for Alac/Quick and that’s it....but even so, ANET is giving our boons/utilities to other professions so....

> >

> > Here’s hoping EoD gives us something on par to what FBs have...(healing/boon wise)

>

> Yeah, funny how other professions get to have our stuff, but mesmers don't get anything. Necros can now portal, seemingly everyone can do alacrity... Eh...

And don’t forget about Thieves getting a portal too lol...next thing you know they’ll give warriors a portal just because....

> Not really, i mean, you can't just take your Raids build and expect to do well in WvW.

on wvw it depend how you understand words "do well", gameplay style, and many factors.

> There's tons of people compaining on the forums how WvW sucks and they get instakilled by everything and everyone is toxic for killing them

this is part of fun - cry on forums. Welcome on mmo games world.

>They're running berserker's gear and are expecting to do their PvE rotations on people, like, seriously?

it depend from style and strategy, and setup around u. No bad gear. There is bad tactic.

> Also, if you want to be useful to idk, your guild in WvW raiding

on each giuld you need check that biuld wait from chrno .. It depend from giuld, and have many variation.

> I'm not using the metabattle build, it's weird yeah. I'm using a build my guild gave me.

same for me.

> @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > > @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > > It was good before when they didn’t nerf the signet of inspiration but now it’s just....people want us for Alac/Quick and that’s it....but even so, ANET is giving our boons/utilities to other professions so....

> > >

> > > Here’s hoping EoD gives us something on par to what FBs have...(healing/boon wise)

> >

> > Yeah, funny how other professions get to have our stuff, but mesmers don't get anything. Necros can now portal, seemingly everyone can do alacrity... Eh...

>

> And don’t forget about Thieves getting a portal too lol...next thing you know they’ll give warriors a portal just because....

>

>

Thieves have a portal too?

Wow that is a new low for Mesmers... :disappointed:

> @"lare.5129" said:

> > Not really, i mean, you can't just take your Raids build and expect to do well in WvW.

> on wvw it depend how you understand words "do well", gameplay style, and many factors.

>

> > There's tons of people compaining on the forums how WvW sucks and they get instakilled by everything and everyone is toxic for killing them

> this is part of fun - cry on forums. Welcome on mmo games world.

>

> >They're running berserker's gear and are expecting to do their PvE rotations on people, like, seriously?

> it depend from style and strategy, and setup around u. No bad gear. There is bad tactic.

>

> > Also, if you want to be useful to idk, your guild in WvW raiding

> on each giuld you need check that biuld wait from chrno .. It depend from giuld, and have many variation.

>

> > I'm not using the metabattle build, it's weird yeah. I'm using a build my guild gave me.

> same for me.

Yeah, it depends on the people around you too, and strategy, but since most people will be following public commanders or roaming, going in without any toughness or vitality isn't the greatest idea. But could work if you have a ton of boons and healers and whatnot...

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> Don't worry I already had a full minstrel setup.

Oh, cool then. :smile: I'm going to farm myself some bloodstone ascended and maybe try minstrel. Those bloodstone ascended can be reset with unbound magic lol, so they're great for testing. Someone from my guild is also testing a DPS chrono so i'll see what they come up with and what's needed.

> @"necromaniac.7629" said:

> Isn't Harrier's gear with inspirations line suppose to be good, idk, never player support chrono as a mes main but thats what i thought of considering https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Prism especially, because you can do damage while healing

Oh interesting! Yeah, i've been looking at that trait as well.

But harrier in WvW? I don't know, at that point, i better stick with Wanderer's since it's also Power and concentration, but has vitality and toughness as well.

You really don't want to go in WvW without some toughness. I know it doesn't have healing power but on harrier's i'd really miss that toughness stat. For PvE, sure, it would totally work as a damage/healer but in WvW i'm not so sure.

For WvW, for that i'd then use Crusader's, but then you miss out on concentration...

Idk, there's not one "be all end all" combo that has it all lol. :tongue:

> > @"necromaniac.7629" said:

> > Isn't Harrier's gear with inspirations line suppose to be good, idk, never player support chrono as a mes main but thats what i thought of considering https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Prism especially, because you can do damage while healing

>

> Oh interesting! Yeah, i've been looking at that trait as well.

> But harrier in WvW? I don't know, at that point, i better stick with Wanderer's since it's also Power and concentration, but has vitality and toughness as well.

> You really don't want to go in WvW without some toughness. I know it doesn't have healing power but on harrier's i'd really miss that toughness stat. For PvE, sure, it would totally work as a damage/healer but in WvW i'm not so sure.

> For WvW, for that i'd then use Crusader's, but then you miss out on concentration...

> Idk, there's not one "be all end all" combo that has it all lol. :tongue:

oh didn't know you were talking wvw

> > @"necromaniac.7629" said:

> > Isn't Harrier's gear with inspirations line suppose to be good, idk, never player support chrono as a mes main but thats what i thought of considering https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Prism especially, because you can do damage while healing

>

> Oh interesting! Yeah, i've been looking at that trait as well.

> But harrier in WvW? I don't know, at that point, i better stick with Wanderer's since it's also Power and concentration, but has vitality and toughness as well.

> You really don't want to go in WvW without some toughness. I know it doesn't have healing power but on harrier's i'd really miss that toughness stat. For PvE, sure, it would totally work as a damage/healer but in WvW i'm not so sure.

> For WvW, for that i'd then use Crusader's, but then you miss out on concentration...

> Idk, there's not one "be all end all" combo that has it all lol. :tongue:

Ummm....I've gone in WvW with both minstrel AND harrier and it still doesn't make much of a difference, that's where you have to mostly rely on mobility and cleansing skills to get by. But if you just wanna play a support role and stay in the backline and just buff/heal then yeah sure minstrels. But I run harriers for PvE (when required).

> Thieves have a portal too?

> Wow that is a new low for Mesmers... :disappointed:

Yeah that was a really bright idea. Portal on the class with the highest mobility and highest on demand stealth uptime in the game. Brilliant. A single thief in a enemy keep going for the lols can easily entertain 5 - 10 opponents who may chase him for hours. And you can not ignore him, because he will port his zerg into the keep as soon as you go away.

The downside to their portal is it is one way only and they can only port 5 people, but if one of those 5 is a Mesmer...

> @"Tseison.4659" said:

> > > @"necromaniac.7629" said:

> > > Isn't Harrier's gear with inspirations line suppose to be good, idk, never player support chrono as a mes main but thats what i thought of considering https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Healing_Prism especially, because you can do damage while healing

> >

> > Oh interesting! Yeah, i've been looking at that trait as well.

> > But harrier in WvW? I don't know, at that point, i better stick with Wanderer's since it's also Power and concentration, but has vitality and toughness as well.

> > You really don't want to go in WvW without some toughness. I know it doesn't have healing power but on harrier's i'd really miss that toughness stat. For PvE, sure, it would totally work as a damage/healer but in WvW i'm not so sure.

> > For WvW, for that i'd then use Crusader's, but then you miss out on concentration...

> > Idk, there's not one "be all end all" combo that has it all lol. :tongue:

>

> Ummm....I've gone in WvW with both minstrel AND harrier and it still doesn't make much of a difference, that's where you have to mostly rely on mobility and cleansing skills to get by. But if you just wanna play a support role and stay in the backline and just buff/heal then yeah sure minstrels. But I run harriers for PvE (when required).

Depends. The server i play on, everyone has toughness AND can kill you in 1 hit if you don't.

So it pays to have some defense as well. Not just for big fights, but for roaming too, although, for roaming you could get away with less toughness or vitality.

For PvE i currently switch to Mirage cause i like that playstyle, or Chrono if needed for wells and alacrity. But if i'm soloing open world, Trailblazer's Mirage is way stronger than a Wanderer's Chrono so i go for that because stuff dies faster that way, and Mirage is flashier lol. The only thing i miss about mirage is Chrono's increased movement speed. It's actually noticable lol! :astonished:

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> > Thieves have a portal too?

> > Wow that is a new low for Mesmers... :disappointed:

>

> Yeah that was a really bright idea. Portal on the class with the highest mobility and highest on demand stealth uptime in the game. Brilliant. A single thief in a enemy keep going for the lols can easily entertain 5 - 10 opponents who may chase him for hours. And you can not ignore him, because he will port his zerg into the keep as soon as you go away.

> The downside to their portal is it is one way only and they can only port 5 people, but if one of those 5 is a Mesmer...

Meanwhile, thieves STILL have permaevade and permastealth, but that's not enough, we need to give them other tricks from other professions as well.

When mesmers are good at something, and not even the best at it - they get nerfed to the ground, remove one dodge, remove boonshare, remove everything. Mesmers can't have anything good or it's "OP". Daredevils with 3 dodges, permaevade and permastealth laugh at us, and now they got our portal... Just... Wow...

Sometimes i feel like i'm being punished for playing a Mesmer honestly.

The only great thing about Chrono in WvW is focus pull and Gravity Well.

But hey, that's "good" we can't have mesmers having anything good or useful so i'm just waiting til they nerf that too. And i bet Firebrands will get to keep their pull along with everything else because Anet logic.

> @"Yoci.2481" said:

> I thought the metabattle support Chrono _was_ the boonstrip version?

Well it's not terrible, but there's some questionable things in there. It is the boonstrip version, but eh, i think there's better ways to achieve that than the build presents.

All in all, i view all those builds as a guideline only, i don't copy each build exactly, i swap either utility and traits as needed. Each person's playstyle is a bit different, and maybe someone uses the same thing differently a bit to suit their playstyle. It's all good.