Inappropriate Guild Names need a report button

Eevee.9107

I'm really sick of seeing disgusting guild names in-game that would be banned in a heartbeat if they were player names. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but I feel like I should at least be able to submit a screenshot somewhere other than the bug report page to bring it to devs' attention.

> @"Schimmi.6872" said:

> As far as I can remember a dev once said, that they also check pet- and guild-names, if a player is reported for an inappropriate name.

> Don't know, if that's still true. You can also try to report it via a support-ticket, maybe they can tell you the right way to handle it.

That's my understanding too, if you report a player for an inappropriate name they check the guild name too (as well as things like the account name and pet names).

But if you think that's not sufficent and you're concerned it might be missed or it might not be clear why it's a problem you can take a screenshot and report it via a support ticket. They won't tell you what actions are taken because they don't discuss that with anyone except the player being warned/banned/whatever but at least you'll know the message has gotten through.

Can't say I've seen any guild names in need to changing lately, or really any time in the last six or seven years. From my understanding they get a bit more scrutiny compared to mere player names. It may be (as others have suggested here but I'll go against my nature and try to state more politely) that your own subjective views on what is or is not offensive or inappropriate do not match that of Anet or most people in general. Do you think you can provide an example so we better know what you're talking about? I'm sure you can get around the forums filter well enough to inform the rest of us.

I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

>

I guess I would ask which posters above are mocking the OP?

> @"firedragon.8953" said:

> Could you imagine if someone reported a guild name as offensive so that they could steal said guild name. How crazy would that be?

>

> As others have said, if they violate the naming conventions of Anet just report the player name and it is likely they will look at the guild and pet names as well.

Reports aren't automated, that's why it can take a while for anything to happen. They're checked by real people and only actioned if they actually break the rules. If you report a guild which isn't breaking the rules on naming then nothing will happen to them. If you report a guild that is breaking the rules then try to use the name yourself either it will have already been added to the banned list and you won't be able to get it, or you'll get it force-changed as well when they notice it's in use again.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> > I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> > Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> > I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> >

>

> I guess I would ask which posters above are mocking the OP?

Mocking maybe isn't the right word, but a lot of players have queried either why the OP cares or if a guild name can be inappropriate and would need reporting, implying there cannot actually be a problem and the OP is being overly sensitive.

That's in spite of the fact that (as various people have pointed out) Anet has already defined rules for inappropriate names and it's largely irrelevant whether any individual players think they're right or wrong, if they break the rules then they're not allowed.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> > > I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> > > Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> > > I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> > >

> >

> > I guess I would ask which posters above are mocking the OP?

>

> Mocking maybe isn't the right word, but a lot of players have queried either why the OP cares or if a guild name can be inappropriate and would need reporting, implying there cannot actually be a problem and the OP is being overly sensitive.

Or they are just curious and others are inferring a different meaning.

>

> That's in spite of the fact that (as various people have pointed out) Anet has already defined rules for inappropriate names and it's largely irrelevant whether any individual players think they're right or wrong, if they break the rules then they're not allowed.

They have, and people have also pointed out where Anet has made changes and has a function for the OP to report.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> > I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> > Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> > I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> >

>

> I guess I would ask which posters above are mocking the OP?

There were some last night that were deleted in the time between your post and Obfuscate's post, and they definitely weren't said out of curiosity.

> @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > > I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> > > Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> > > I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> > >

> >

>

> There were some last night that were deleted in the time between your post and Obfuscate's post, and they definitely weren't said out of curiosity.

Yes, they were bullying the OP, who has a valid point about reporting guild names.

As a general comment, backing Zephire's (I think) implicit point - please correct me here if I'm wrong - we all need to stop giving mockers the benefit of the doubt, e.g. "or they are just curious". So-called devil's advocate opinions should be limited to counter_factuals_ and not excusing negative behaviour on the part of other players.

To quote Churchill: "Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. Some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."

Coming back again, under the ToS that Anet have about naming policies, it is clear that players can't go around using any old name that they wish to use. Any player can report another player for a character string that meets any of Anet's criteria for offensive names. The alternatives would be to:

1. have an Anet employee validate every single character string that people use in guild and character names immediately they are created, which would introduce a time duration between constructing a name and having it approved, and/or

2. have a list of strings that people cannot use, and all the problems associated with that.

Thus, a player report system has been implemented. And yes, it would be good if there was a report guild name option. The in-game report function does not provide an ability to give context (the guild name is being reported, not the player name).

The alternative appears to be opening a support ticket, which enables all relevant information to be provided in a text field. However, this does require the player to go outside the game in order to produce a ticket, and therefore is a more onerous option. Including a report option in-game would be great.

> @"Hesione.9412" said:

> > @"Zephire.8049" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> > > > I am kind of confused why people are mocking the OP in the responses here. Arenanet has clearly defined rules when it comes to names.

> > > > Guild names and pet names must also be subjected to the same rules character names are.

> > > > I have seen a handful of blatantly hateful guild names in 8 years; guild names that included hate speech and slurs. Some of these were obviously troll guilds designed specifically to provoke people. Troll or not, they are against the Terms of Service and it would be nice to have a more convenient way to report them.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I guess I would ask which posters above are mocking the OP?

> >

> > There were some last night that were deleted in the time between your post and Obfuscate's post, and they definitely weren't said out of curiosity.

>

>

>

> As a general comment, backing Zephire's (I think) implicit point - please correct me here if I'm wrong - we all need to stop giving mockers the benefit of the doubt, e.g. "or they are just curious". So-called devil's advocate opinions should be limited to counter_factuals_ and not excusing negative behaviour on the part of other players.

And while I agree with you, evidently someone did the correct thing and **reported** the posts they suspected of being mocking.

As has been suggested for the OP in some of the comments that I have read. (And I do realize I evidently missed some of the offending posts)

>

> To quote Churchill: "Everyone is in favor of free speech. Hardly a day passes without its being extolled. Some people's idea of it is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone else says anything back, that is an outrage."

Which would technically also include those ‘mocking posts’ however, not within the rules or TOS of this forums which any private company has the rights to limit said speech.

>

> Coming back again, under the ToS that Anet have about naming policies, it is clear that players can't go around using any old name that they wish to use. Any player can report another player for a character string that meets any of Anet's criteria for offensive names.

>

> Thus, a player report system has been implemented. And yes, it would be good if there was a report guild name option. The in-game report function does not provide an ability to give context (the guild name is being reported, not the player name).

Which has been successful in the past. And currently, much like reporting ‘hacking’, you are limited to using the best available option. Having one for guild names, while it would be good, is not currently **necessary.**

>

> The alternative appears to be opening a support ticket, which enables all relevant information to be provided in a text field. However, this does require the player to go outside the game in order to produce a ticket, and therefore is a more onerous option. Including a report option in-game would be great.

Which is always an alternative.

But, within the reporting function, there is a blank area to describe your issue. Including the guild name in that window along with A description of the issue would certainly provide the OP with the mechanism to report offending names whether of guilds, pets or players.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"firedragon.8953" said:

> > Could you imagine if someone reported a guild name as offensive so that they could steal said guild name. How crazy would that be?

> >

>If you report a guild that is breaking the rules then try to use the name yourself either it will have already been added to the banned list and you won't be able to get it, or you'll get it force-changed as well when they notice it's in use again.

Oh that's good to know! I didn't know there was a ban list that automatically blocked the reuse of such names. I just imagined that if this wasn't the case, then it would give a whole new meaning to "Guild Wars" haha.

I had an old Revenant/Renegade Charr named "Pogrom Redclaw."

The backstory I had created for him, along with the game story, was a young warrior cub whose village was wiped out by those who wished to kill all Charr in the name of racial purity. He entered the Mists and came out a Revenant bent on helping those in need so no-one else would ever feel what he had gone through.

He chose the new name as a reminder that a "Pogrom" is a fight to wipe out racial/ethnic/religious groups and "Redclaw" because he wasn't afraid of getting blood on his hands.

The problem with the name is that a "Pogrom" is a term not only used in the generic term for ethnic cleansing , but has a specific meaning for the Jews in Russia from the early 1900s through to WWII. I didn't receive any notices, but took the character down anyway.

If ANET deems a character name offensive, they should provide a soul-bound name-change contract for free and lock the character in an instance until an appropriate name is chosen.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> I had an old Revenant/Renegade Charr named "Pogrom Redclaw."

>

> The backstory I had created for him, along with the game story, was a young warrior cub whose village was wiped out by those who wished to kill all Charr in the name of racial purity. He entered the Mists and came out a Revenant bent on helping those in need so no-one else would ever feel what he had gone through.

>

> He chose the new name as a reminder that a "Pogrom" is a fight to wipe out racial/ethnic/religious groups and "Redclaw" because he wasn't afraid of getting blood on his hands.

>

> The problem with the name is that a "Pogrom" is a term not only used in the generic term for ethnic cleansing , but has a specific meaning for the Jews in Russia from the early 1900s through to WWII. I didn't receive any notices, but took the character down anyway.

>

> **If ANET deems a character name offensive, they should provide a soul-bound name-change contract for free and lock the character in an instance until an appropriate name is chosen.**

If a character has a sanctioned name you can’t completely log on until you change it. The change is free.

[[Naming Policy]](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-naming-policy/)

> If a character name is reported to us and is in violation of the guidelines above, for the first offense, you will be required to rename your character upon your next login....

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"firedragon.8953" said:

> > Could you imagine if someone reported a guild name as offensive so that they could steal said guild name. How crazy would that be?

> >

> > As others have said, if they violate the naming conventions of Anet just report the player name and it is likely they will look at the guild and pet names as well.

>

> Reports aren't automated, that's why it can take a while for anything to happen. They're checked by real people and only actioned if they actually break the rules. If you report a guild which isn't breaking the rules on naming then nothing will happen to them. If you report a guild that is breaking the rules then try to use the name yourself either it will have already been added to the banned list and you won't be able to get it, or you'll get it force-changed as well when they notice it's in use again.

>

> > >

> >

>

> Mocking maybe isn't the right word, but a lot of players have queried either why the OP cares or if a guild name can be inappropriate and would need reporting, implying there cannot actually be a problem and the OP is being overly sensitive.

>

> That's in spite of the fact that (as various people have pointed out) Anet has already defined rules for inappropriate names and it's largely irrelevant whether any individual players think they're right or wrong, if they break the rules then they're not allowed.

I saw those more as being curious as to what the OP considered inappropriate because they hadn't seen anything offensive, themselves, or concern over such a report function being abused.

...NM, I missed the part where the posts in question have been moderated and removed already.