This profession is such a garbage...

KelyNeli.4516

I always wanted to play elementalist in this game because it looked really fun to have all those diverse offensive skills available to me just like that especially with weaver spec. So i made one and got him to lvl 80 and got all the points needed for all traits.

I have tried him both condi, power weaver and tried some tempest and i have to say, this profession is utter garbage, sorry this comes from a mouth of a player who always played warrior berserker even before the buffs.

I die too much, and even if dont die and do some weird healing defense rotation my damage is completely useless and it takes many deaths to do any solo content. Never did i had so much problems playing a profession through storyline, but on elementalist i did, thanks to the pathetic health pool and defenses.

The rotation of skills for DPS is completely insane, i still cant learn it and i just give up trying, because that makes no sense at all. I dont see elementalist EVER surpassing my mediocore berserker with marauders in dps, which not only has way easier rotation but is three times as tanky as elementalist ever will be.

I have read a ton of comments and information on the internet and it seems like the class is OVERNERFED horribly and that Arenanet has some stupid vendetta against this fun to play profession, why?

The might changes, the many many different condi build nerfs, that just doesnt make sense. I barely see anyone playing elementalist today, and you keep nerfing him, why?

To clarify im only talking about PVE content here, solo, dungeons, fractals you name it, in all of them this profession struggle.

Poor newbie players who find themselves unable to progress the story because how garbage this class is, this shit is what drive players away from this game.

Oh and adding a salt to the wound.

Why does ele doesnt have a good ranged weapon or a reliable and fast aoe with it? Why is this class forced to go melee range, when it dies by a single hit from a boss of any sort? Have you ever seen a mage in ANY game out there in the world that would be completely useless when using a mage weapon - a staff? I never did, but i guess guildwars2 and its developers tried their best to make the class design of this game make absolutely no sense at all.

Not to mention, majority of the skills on the hotbar plays no significant role to the gameplay, while other professions has skills packed with utility buffs, mechanics and more. Elementalist? All he has is some damage, some condi, have fun. Jesus this profession sucks.

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> Oh and adding a salt to the wound.

> Why does ele doesnt have a good ranged weapon or a reliable and fast aoe with it? Why is this class forced to go melee range, when it dies by a single hit from a boss of any sort? Have you ever seen a mage in ANY game out there in the world that would be completely useless when using a mage weapon - a staff? I never did, but i guess guildwars2 and its developers tried their best to make the class design of this game make absolutely no sense at all.

> Not to mention, majority of the skills on the hotbar plays no significant role to the gameplay, while other professions has skills packed with utility buffs, mechanics and more. Elementalist? All he has is some damage, some condi, have fun. Jesus this profession sucks.

>

Staff sucks cuz of wvw nerfs. Try fresh air tempest with glyph of storms.

https://snowcrows.com/raids/guides/elementalist/tempest/power/

What sort of build did you try for condi weaver? It should not feel low damage or squishy for open world/story.

Here's a clip of a quick burst. This kind of damage just melts things in open world/story content, but at the same time it has 3.5k armor with excellent protection uptime and 18k health!

Try something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKPnvaA-zRJYkRD/YkoA6kA6nFf90A-e

If you prefer a more reliable stunbreak, swap out the glyph or signet utilities for Twist of Fate. You could also use the elemental summon elite. I hear it makes a good tank but can also CC, heal, or deal damage. Not my style, but there should be plenty of flexibility here without giving up too much damage.

ele in pve isnt exactly a player-friendly experience unless you play one of those ubertank condi builds (like the one listed above) since it provides massive qol in the form of not dying

meanwhile power ele in pve is 100% masochist gameplay, dont play it unless you got some meta comp going that can validate your existence unless you really like the aesthetic or pain of playing one

Ele is not garbage because you can't play it.

I have played all professions so I know a bit.

Warrior has passive defense (high armor, high health) while ele is active defense. It means you need a lot of experience to use it properly.

You just can't play ele for 1 month and think it is bad because it needs a lot more. I see ele dying everywhere in OW (mostly vs champions), I would never die myself but I did while learning.

Warrior dies less while learning but with experience, I survive better with ele, with less single target damage but more aoe damage.

Power ele is hard, but it can work. Condi is a lot easier though.

I always played mage class in MMOs, but here, i confess that dislike much. Even have fun with it, but thinking its not functional at all. The build above is very specific for open world, but u need a total focus build on dps if u will play in raids or fractals tier 3 + and of course CMs. I dislike for the same reason that u point in your opinion, force a glass class on melee combat.

> @"Ravenous.7281" said:

> I always played mage class in MMOs, but here, i confess that dislike much. Even have fun with it, but thinking its not functional at all. The build above is very specific for open world, but u need a total focus build on dps if u will play in raids or fractals tier 3 + and of course CMs. I dislike for the same reason that u point in your opinion, force a glass class on melee combat.

Let me be clear that I am not advocating using an open world build like this for fractals. Tanky condi builds are never going to be the meta there! However, condi weaver performs more than adequately in T4s and I have completed the CMs with it as well. Here's a clip of a fractal boss on T4 that requires a minimum DPS output from the group within a time window in order to succeed.

32.5k average DPS and I'm actually using the fire/arcane version of the build with dire stats, which deals less damage than fire/earth. There is no reason you can't contribute to pretty much any T4 daily pickup group you care to join as DPS using condi weaver. There are so many miles between that and the guys at discretize.eu, for instance. But people get so caught up in the meta they forget that you will literally never see a group like that just joining randoms to get your dailies done.

I also want to point out that I'm not suggesting that ele doesn't have issues. It definitely does! But garbage? Can't do T3s? Can't sustain in open world? I just don't think that's accurate.

You are talking about PVE. I will talk about instanced content mainly.

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> I have read a ton of comments and information on the internet and it seems like the class is OVERNERFED horribly and that Arenanet has some stupid vendetta against this fun to play profession, why?

Sure, it is overnerfed given it is the most squishy class, and isn't the best choice for most things, but not garbage at all.

Power weaver is an ok build in raid **(tho holosmith is strictly better, with more CC, higher burst damage, range ability, more tanky, also potential to bring "pinpoint distribution" for group buff).** It is a strong build for CA, which has huge hitbox.

It is a strong build in fractal, **if you have a organized static group**.

Condition weaver is a much stronger build than power weaver, in the sense that it is more tanky(through earth trait), higher burst damage (first golem number), also higher sustained damage. It can really compete with classes like condition renegade, condition mirage(except Largos) if you know how to play it. **But beating them may be hard if skill levels are same, and they bring more group utility than you.** For fractal, it is pretty good on several bosses (those that doesn't phase too much).

Heal tempest is an strong heal build. Most groups that fail boneskinner should consider bringing a heal tempest instead of HB. Strong 10 man heal, might bot, group projectile control. Sadly, the whole ele class has no group offensive boon, no quickness, no alacrity etc.

Power tempest is an ok build.. Well, not so great. Only place I find it useable is CA and Samarog and Slothasor, and Nightmare fractal cms. But you can give some group might and boon extension.

Condition tempest. I just don't like this class at all. Slow condition ramp up. Multiple overloads feel awkward.

It definitely deserves some love from Anet, but again, it is not garbage at all. Still usable.

> @"Euclid.2517" said:

> You are talking about PVE. I will talk about instanced content mainly.

>

> > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > I have read a ton of comments and information on the internet and it seems like the class is OVERNERFED horribly and that Arenanet has some stupid vendetta against this fun to play profession, why?

>

> Sure, it is overnerfed given it is the most squishy class, and isn't the best choice for most things, but not garbage at all.

> Power weaver is an ok build in raid **(tho holosmith is strictly better, with more CC, higher burst damage, range ability, more tanky, also potential to bring "pinpoint distribution" for group buff).** It is a strong build for CA, which has huge hitbox.

> It is a strong build in fractal, **if you have a organized static group**.

>

It is not only a strong build in a fractal static. you just need support in the form of alac, quickness and might. You can also play masters fortitude which puts you at 14k hp.

Statics play it without a healer, why should it struggle in your standard hfb pug. Pugs just dont use everything it brings like conjure share but its still very good.

Holo brings pinpoint on exactly 1 boss and holo is taken for the vuln there anyways.

Holo is not strictly better. both builds are quite equal on a lot of bosses and both builds struggle vs pChrono stack. Holos more bursty nature can also be bad when phase times dont align or during splits. just slight buffs would put it above holo easily. Like normalizing fgs cd to reasonable levels or buffing fresh air slightly with maybe buffing twin strikes. fresh air weaver has high cc aswell.

Because many pug don't give aegis/stab well, as long as cannot even maintain 10 stacks above might as well, which make power overwhelming useless.

Also these days pug are just bad, since most veteran instanced content player like you don't play anymore, since there is almost no update in this game. I once saw a team where there is a core necro, doing less damage than alac, yet all of them have title. I guess you are one of the fractal **elitists** who rarely pug these days (based on your style of history reply), and underestimate how bad pug are.

And it is truly annoying when you see pug saying lf condi FB only, as even our static scourge can do 32k+ on dark Ai, and we are even skipping breaking bar for every odd occurence. While most pug Cfb cannot do more than 24k target dps....

[https://dps.report/RdtB-20210222-205917_ai](https://dps.report/RdtB-20210222-205917_ai)

Holo has bell to reset burst, A.E.D. to skip mechanics, and range possibility through grenade, more tanky, etc. Yeah, maybe equal when you can consistently hit a boss like golem, like Gorseval etc. But is it fair to be just equal? Given all these shortcomings? So why should I play Pweaver in raid when there is a build that is almost equally strong, and with a lot of better things?

> @"Nephalem.8921" said:

> > @"Euclid.2517" said:

> > You are talking about PVE. I will talk about instanced content mainly.

> >

> > > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > > I have read a ton of comments and information on the internet and it seems like the class is OVERNERFED horribly and that Arenanet has some stupid vendetta against this fun to play profession, why?

> >

> > Sure, it is overnerfed given it is the most squishy class, and isn't the best choice for most things, but not garbage at all.

> > Power weaver is an ok build in raid **(tho holosmith is strictly better, with more CC, higher burst damage, range ability, more tanky, also potential to bring "pinpoint distribution" for group buff).** It is a strong build for CA, which has huge hitbox.

> > It is a strong build in fractal, **if you have a organized static group**.

> >

>

> It is not only a strong build in a fractal static. you just need support in the form of alac, quickness and might. You can also play masters fortitude which puts you at 14k hp.

> Statics play it without a healer, why should it struggle in your standard hfb pug. Pugs just dont use everything it brings like conjure share but its still very good.

> Holo brings pinpoint on exactly 1 boss and holo is taken for the vuln there anyways.

> Holo is not strictly better. both builds are quite equal on a lot of bosses and both builds struggle vs pChrono stack. Holos more bursty nature can also be bad when phase times dont align or during splits. just slight buffs would put it above holo easily. Like normalizing fgs cd to reasonable levels or buffing fresh air slightly with maybe buffing twin strikes. fresh air weaver has high cc aswell.

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> I always wanted to play elementalist in this game because it looked really fun to have all those diverse offensive skills available to me just like that especially with weaver spec. So i made one and got him to lvl 80 and got all the points needed for all traits.

> I have tried him both condi, power weaver and tried some tempest and i have to say, this profession is utter garbage, sorry this comes from a mouth of a player who always played warrior berserker even before the buffs.

> I die too much, and even if dont die and do some weird healing defense rotation my damage is completely useless and it takes many deaths to do any solo content. Never did i had so much problems playing a profession through storyline, but on elementalist i did, thanks to the pathetic health pool and defenses.

> The rotation of skills for DPS is completely insane, i still cant learn it and i just give up trying, because that makes no sense at all. I dont see elementalist EVER surpassing my mediocore berserker with marauders in dps, which not only has way easier rotation but is three times as tanky as elementalist ever will be.

> I have read a ton of comments and information on the internet and it seems like the class is OVERNERFED horribly and that Arenanet has some stupid vendetta against this fun to play profession, why?

> The might changes, the many many different condi build nerfs, that just doesnt make sense. I barely see anyone playing elementalist today, and you keep nerfing him, why?

> To clarify im only talking about PVE content here, solo, dungeons, fractals you name it, in all of them this profession struggle.

> Poor newbie players who find themselves unable to progress the story because how garbage this class is, this kitten is what drive players away from this game.

The class isn't garbage ... in fact, it's some of the most capable PVE class in the game, EVEN if you believe the conspiracy theory comments that Anet hates it and just wants to nerf it all the time. It simply doesn't suit you and how you play. Not every class will.

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> I always wanted to play elementalist in this game because it looked really fun to have all those diverse offensive skills available to me just like that especially with weaver spec. So i made one and got him to lvl 80 and got all the points needed for all traits.

> I have tried him both condi, power weaver and tried some tempest and i have to say, this profession is utter garbage, sorry this comes from a mouth of a player who always played warrior berserker even before the buffs.

> I die too much, and even if dont die and do some weird healing defense rotation my damage is completely useless and it takes many deaths to do any solo content. Never did i had so much problems playing a profession through storyline, but on elementalist i did, thanks to the pathetic health pool and defenses.

> The rotation of skills for DPS is completely insane, i still cant learn it and i just give up trying, because that makes no sense at all. I dont see elementalist EVER surpassing my mediocore berserker with marauders in dps, which not only has way easier rotation but is three times as tanky as elementalist ever will be.

> The might changes, the many many different condi build nerfs, that just doesnt make sense. I barely see anyone playing elementalist today, and you keep nerfing him, why?

> To clarify im only talking about PVE content here, solo, dungeons, fractals you name it, in all of them this profession struggle.

> Poor newbie players who find themselves unable to progress the story because how garbage this class is, this kitten is what drive players away from this game.

I'm a main weaver, yes elementalist is not easy at the start, yes anet did alot of nerfs to the class but it is still my favorite class. Once you catch how to play with it its alot of fun and competitve with most class I fight in WvW. Learn the basic of your combos, without them, yeah the damage and sustain are very disappointing. If u look for the easy stuff, well dont play ele!

> @"Euclid.2517" said:

> Because many pug don't give aegis/stab well, as long as cannot even maintain 10 stacks above might as well, which make power overwhelming useless.

>

Any hfb ren group struggling with might cant be helped. as a weaver i would just play fresh air in that situation, swap to earth and blast my firefield 4 times for 12 area might. could even take arcane blast for more might.

> Also these days pug are just bad, since most veteran instanced content player like you don't play anymore, since there is almost no update in this game. I once saw a team where there is a core necro, doing less damage than alac, yet all of them have title. I guess you are one of the fractal **elitists** who rarely pug these days (based on your style of history reply), and underestimate how bad pug are.

>

Actually i joined some t3 SO and even regular t4s for fun on weaver. Sure it cant compete with cfb in those situations because it lacks selfbuffs but its still good and even easier to stay alive on than pchrono because you dont need your heal for dps.

> And it is truly annoying when you see pug saying lf condi FB only, as even our static scourge can do 32k+ on dark Ai, and we are even skipping breaking bar for every odd occurence. While most pug Cfb cannot do more than 24k target dps....

> [https://dps.report/RdtB-20210222-205917_ai](https://dps.report/RdtB-20210222-205917_ai)

>

> Holo has bell to reset burst, A.E.D. to skip mechanics, and range possibility through grenade, more tanky, etc. Yeah, maybe equal when you can consistently hit a boss like golem, like Gorseval etc. But is it fair to be just equal? Given all these shortcomings? So why should I play Pweaver in raid when there is a build that is almost equally strong, and with a lot of better things?

>

Holo bell is an exploit that might get fixed. A.E.D is strong but you can skip the adina shockwave with polaric leap aswell. Equal is better than one being simply better. Otherwise nobody would play holo like it was for a long time. I play weaver in our static runs and regularly outdps holos aswell.

So why should you play something thats not better and just equal? Maybe because someone likes the playstyle more? I like ff14 approach in this regard. everything is so incredible close to each other that it doesnt really matter what you play. play what you enjoy. GW2 has up to 40% difference between classes but holo and weaver are not the outliers.

This doesnt mean that i wouldnt change something about ele. It lacks a decent way to generate boons without sacrificing all damage. Fiery greatsword cd is ridiculous for what it does. Most conjures have been nerfed too hard with flame axe always being a meme. Twin strike could hit harder but those wouldnt even change the dps that much.

I will say weaver is particularly overly complex for mediocre results. This game has a lot of classes like that though where simple classes with no skill requirements are balanced on par or even better than well played very complex classes. The elementalist is fairly complex in the same way that engineer can be.

> @"FrownyClown.8402" said:

> > @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> > Oh and adding a salt to the wound.

> > Why does ele doesnt have a good ranged weapon or a reliable and fast aoe with it? Why is this class forced to go melee range, when it dies by a single hit from a boss of any sort? Have you ever seen a mage in ANY game out there in the world that would be completely useless when using a mage weapon - a staff? I never did, but i guess guildwars2 and its developers tried their best to make the class design of this game make absolutely no sense at all.

> > Not to mention, majority of the skills on the hotbar plays no significant role to the gameplay, while other professions has skills packed with utility buffs, mechanics and more. Elementalist? All he has is some damage, some condi, have fun. Jesus this profession sucks.

> >

>

> Staff sucks cuz of wvw nerfs. Try fresh air tempest with glyph of storms.

>

> https://snowcrows.com/raids/guides/elementalist/tempest/power/

Well a few years back meteor was nerfed along with lava font. At the time on big hitboxes the staff weaver topped the chartsin PVE (not WVW), by over 20% although on small hitboxes it was maybe 5-10% over the average DPS class.

I do second the fresh air tempest suggestion though. If you are struggling with survival, then fresh air tempest with marauder armor (or trinkets) + water traitline (i.e . the old meta build which is still meta in fractals) is pretty decent.

https://discretize.eu/builds/elementalist/power-tempest

---

> @"Cromx.3941" said:

> I will say weaver is particularly overly complex for mediocre results. This game has a lot of classes like that though where simple classes with no skill requirements are balanced on par or even better than well played very complex classes. The elementalist is fairly complex in the same way that engineer can be.

About 2 years ago before power overwhelming was changed I believe the average benchmark for weaver was only 33K or something on sword. Raging Storm also was changed to add a massive 180 ferocity bonus with fury. It's in a far better spot now, the only thing that exceeds it is rifle deadeye (low cleave) and power chrono with danger time damage bonus (which requires chrono stacking).

Power weaver (BttH variant) mainly focuses on two attunements: fire+ air which makes it comparable to the typical DPS class with 2 weapons.

Master's Fortitude blunts some of the vitality drawback if you run sword.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> What sort of build did you try for condi weaver? It should not feel low damage or squishy for open world/story.

>

> Here's a clip of a quick burst. This kind of damage just melts things in open world/story content, but at the same time it has 3.5k armor with excellent protection uptime and 18k health!

>

>

>

> Try something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKPnvaA-zRJYkRD/YkoA6kA6nFf90A-e

>

> If you prefer a more reliable stunbreak, swap out the glyph or signet utilities for Twist of Fate. You could also use the elemental summon elite. I hear it makes a good tank but can also CC, heal, or deal damage. Not my style, but there should be plenty of flexibility here without giving up too much damage.

>

>

Sorry for the late response, but I must say. That's some pretty mad good gameplay there. I can say you have peaked as an Ele (I'll never be able to play ele due to the difficulty of doing all this).

Btw I also reference another video you uploaded once (I think it was you?) where you soloed the Tetrad in VB right?

> @"Grand Marshal.4098" said:

> > @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> > What sort of build did you try for condi weaver? It should not feel low damage or squishy for open world/story.

> >

> > Here's a clip of a quick burst. This kind of damage just melts things in open world/story content, but at the same time it has 3.5k armor with excellent protection uptime and 18k health!

> >

> >

> >

> > Try something like this: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAw2lZwmYXMJmJOKPnvaA-zRJYkRD/YkoA6kA6nFf90A-e

> >

> > If you prefer a more reliable stunbreak, swap out the glyph or signet utilities for Twist of Fate. You could also use the elemental summon elite. I hear it makes a good tank but can also CC, heal, or deal damage. Not my style, but there should be plenty of flexibility here without giving up too much damage.

> >

> >

>

> Sorry for the late response, but I must say. That's some pretty mad good gameplay there. I can say you have peaked as an Ele (I'll never be able to play ele due to the difficulty of doing all this).

>

> Btw I also reference another video you uploaded once (I think it was you?) where you soloed the Tetrad in VB right?

Yes, that was me (although I know Lord Hizen has also done it using condi weaver). Thanks for the compliment!

I won't try to BS you and say that weaver is easy to play. However, a build like this could possibly help because even if you don't really know what you're doing, just rotating in and out of fire while using your utility and dual skills will deal more than enough damage to get you through most anything you encounter in open world/story content.

With this much armor you already take very little damage. In addition, you have protection on fire aura with Elemental Shielding and you have fire aura in both mainhand and offhand fire attunements (Sun Spot and Focus 5). The only thing you need to do to take advantage of it is rotate in and out of fire. Luckily for you, rotating in and out of fire also gives you access to your strongest damage skills (pyrovortex and lava skin) and makes the best use of your attunement-specific skills like primordial stance and glyph of elemental power.

So, if you're overwhelmed by the complexity, try to keep it simple. Stop worrying about perfect rotations. Instead, just worry about your next attunement swap. Already in fire/x? Rotate to air, earth, or (if you've previously used both of those in the last two rotations) fire. Need CC? Rotate to air or water. Need healing? Water again. Doing this will not produce top DPS or a perfect rotation, but it will keep protection up while also keeping the burns stacking. This should be more than sufficient to faceroll through most open world/story content.

Here's a quick video demo where all I do to wipe out a group of mordrem is pop my utilities and drop pyrovortex. I then stand there and let them beat on me, but just that alone is enough to kill even the armored frog veteran! Keep in mind in this clip I am actually using fire/arcane and not fire/earth and dire stats rather than trailblazer. With the fire/earth build you will have about 500 more armor and great protection uptime, so you will take quite a bit less damage than the build in this clip!

> @"Ravenous.7281" said:

> I think all the point is, we choose elementalists because we like to play as a mage. We like to be a mage, why the f*** they do a duelist class? And of course, the problem that we dont have a good range weapon. Force a mage plays in melee for do something.

Right ... and the OP has done that and doesn't like the way it plays for him because it's CERTAINLY not the garbage class he says it is. So what you suggest he do? Here is the TWO options:

1. Play it because he like mage, warts and all

2. Play a different class, EVEN if it's not mage

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

It looks like you enjoy spreading some false information and play a victim by claiming "anet targets your class to be useless" or w/e (you're not alone in that, it seems to be fairly prevalent on this forum in respective profession subforums), which is as true as it is for any other class -so not at all.

All/most your recent complaints about "ele having no dmg and dying in one hit" seem to be nothing else than an "l2p issue".

> The might changes, the many many different condi build nerfs, that just doesnt make sense. I barely see anyone playing elementalist today

Interesting, I see them all the time. And while I'm not exactly constantly grinding ele myself, I don't have a problem playing it and having fun every now and then while definitely being *efficient enough* to not struggle with content. Make sure to pick a build that fits your playstyle preferences, understand it and keep improving it (or look at online sources / get help from better ele players). If you think it's too hard or just doesn't fit your expectations then... play a different profession.

No, not really.

I mean if you even fail to progress the story and you think it's specifically because the class is too bad for it then... oof.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Ravenous.7281" said:

> > I think all the point is, we choose elementalists because we like to play as a mage. We like to be a mage, why the f*** they do a duelist class? And of course, the problem that we dont have a good range weapon. Force a mage plays in melee for do something.

>

> Right ... and the OP has done that and doesn't like the way it plays for him because it's CERTAINLY not the garbage class he says it is. So what you suggest he do? Here is the TWO options:

>

> 1. Play it because he like mage, warts and all

> 2. Play a different class, EVEN if it's not mage

Ele not realty a mages though there no magic dmg in this game condis are about as close as you can get but other then that every thing that is power dmg is physical dmg. At best ele has the animation of an mage but that it the ele class is more of an ranger class.

Maybe if they gave ele self quickness and alacrity for an "mages" dps boon but it mostly just has the stander boons that every class has.

Elementalist is basically a mage class aka magician / wizard or magic using spellcaster. I don't know why anyone would think otherwise.

The only projectile attacks tend to be the autos which are magical in nature (i.e. stone shards, stoning). Even on a physical weapon such as dagger or sword it will use elemental attacks such as lightning whip or vapor blade. The instant damage in this game just hasn't been split between "actualized physical damage" and "actualized magical damage" and conditions and frankly it doesn't need to because damage is damage and it isn't specified as physical.