Suggestion: More maps like silverwastes, please

> @Ayrilana.1396 said:

> Reduce the loot people can get from it down to the amount of loot people can get from meta events on the core maps. How popular will it be without it being a gold farm?

It would be an empty wasteland. The reason SW is popular is because of the chest farms and those who go to get their quick rewards that push some fortress here and there and then see the map progressed and invite new players for the meta. Remove the amazing chest rewards, or rather remove the chests from the game, and you'll see very few, if anyone ever in SW because the bar would never move. Only LFG entries for meta are when the map is close to Vinewrath and never to prepare a map to go for Vinewrath, most "meta maps" start filling when the bar is already progressed a lot, at least 50%. Which means that initial push happened while players were chest farming around, remove those rewards and the meta counter will be stuck at 0%.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > > > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > > > > @Ashen.2907 said:

> > > > > > > @TexZero.7910 said:

> > > > > > > > @Goettel.4389 said:

> > > > > > > > SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

> > > > > > > > Let's not pretend personal preference is somehow fact.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Stop. Like please, stop.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Players only like SW for the loot.

> > > > > > > If VB was a mind numblingly easy to get the loot as SW, you'd be there instead.

> > > > > > > This is exactly why SW was a baron wasteland during the days of AB multi. Players go where the gold is for the least effort. They always have and they always will.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Perhaps you only like SW for the loot, but you certainly dont speak for the player base as a whole.

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not the one making a claim of the maps inherent popularity either.

> > > > > I'm merely debunking the popularity claim with easily provable game trends. Most players go where the money is, hence why you rarely see players in Lornar's Pass for example.

> > > >

> > > > He said, "evidently popular," and then stated that he personally enjoyed it. You then claimed to know the thoughts of other people, made a claim that he did not enjoy what he stated he enjoyed.

> > >

> > > Not once did i make that claim, i said people would play SW a lot less if other maps had as good reward for little effort.

> > >

> >

> > Weird, I thought that it was you who said, when he stated that he enjoys SW, 'stop, just stop, players only like it for the loot.'

> >

> >

>

> Context is important. If you only read half of whats there you only get half the picture.

I read it all, including your inaccurate blanket statement that implies that you know whata player thinks better than they do.

> @Goettel.4389 said:

> SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

It's popular because it's one of the most profitable maps in the game. If Anet nerfed the rewards to match the rest of the game, it'd be a ghost town within a day.

> @"Crystal Black.8190" said:

> Personally I like the silver wastes meta because its progress depends on events done and not on a timer. Like it used to be with the world bosses in core tyria were you could spawn a boss by doing the events instead they now are on a timer too. Why is it so popular in gw2 to put stuff like this on a timer?

The world bosses were always on a timer, it was just less fixed. And the timers were specific to each instance of the map, so they were incompatible with the megaserver.

I am sorry to say that in my very personal case, out of all the maps that were added either via expansion packs or via living stories, Silverwastes is the only one where I do not return at all, ever (well, on second thought, there is one sporadic exception: When the vista in Camp Resolve counts for daily).

For me, SW map was the worst ever, so that alone the title of the OP got me running away screaming! LOL... No no, not that bad, joking as always. ;-)

More seriously: I really dislike this map and would therefore prefer not to see any more maps like SW. But of course, it remains a matter of taste, as always.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @Goettel.4389 said:

> > SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

> It's popular because it's one of the most profitable maps in the game. If Anet nerfed the rewards to match the rest of the game, it'd be a ghost town within a day.

This meme needs to stop.

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > @Goettel.4389 said:

> > > SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

> > It's popular because it's one of the most profitable maps in the game. If Anet nerfed the rewards to match the rest of the game, it'd be a ghost town within a day.

>

> This meme needs to stop.

>

>

So as many people as there are today would still play that map if the rewards were nerfed to match that of other core Tyria event rewards?

To me it sounds like people might GO there for the loot, but LOVE it because there's people regularly participating there. Most other metas and maps are 10 minutes of action then an hour of deadtime, or just don't attract enough people to have even the overflow maps feel populated.

The meta is okay, but it's pretty much constantly running. That counts for a lot.

I'm not sure this game needs more zerg-driven meta events. I mean, the reason why Silverwastes is so empty and unproductive today is because we now have 2 expacs worth of endgame content to sift through, complete with their own profitable meta events. If you add to many, it stands to reason you'd only serve to stretch the player base out, or create dead content.

Why I love Silverwastes:

- Nearly all areas are accessible, all the time, regardless of meta status.

- Excellent farm.

- Plenty of achievements to do, places to explore, things to collect.

- Inspiring soundtracks.

- First desert theme introduced alongside Dry Top; not as confusing as Dry Top bar the Jumping Puzzle.

- Meta is off-timer.

- Feels historic and connects to LW2.

It's easily in my Top 3 maps, and I think the structure of it is often underappreciated.

There is a lot of presmptions and hyperbole in this thread with generalisations about what players def do or not do as absolute fact.

I enjoy silverwastes, but i have rarely purely gold farmed there. I enjoy the event of the map itself and working towards the boss. Even on my own, i can usually capture and hold a fort. For me I find that fun and if we get to work as a map to take down vinewrath, I call that a successful gaming session. I get a bit of challenge if im alone, some karma, some craftng mats and a fun time overall.

Silverwastes maps work because it creates options for gold farming or a highly accessible and enjoyable meta session. It wont appeal to everyone, but that is why we need a variety of different maps. I for one would welcome at least one more copy of how SW works

> @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > @Goettel.4389 said:

> > > SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

> > It's popular because it's one of the most profitable maps in the game. If Anet nerfed the rewards to match the rest of the game, it'd be a ghost town within a day.

>

> This meme needs to stop.

>

>

I agree, lets end the meme once and for all ANet!

Prove to the player base that rewards don't matter. the map can stand on it's own.

Remove the chest farm from SW and put it in Vabbi instead.

> @Mahou.3924 said:

> Never did the SW meta as meta maps themselves aren't very appealing to me. (DS once and never again *blargh*). But from the the few times I spent a bit longer there, it seemed to be always quite active.

Yesterday I was playing in the Desert Highlands, and someone on map chat said something like "We'll get a new Living World episode soon! What's the best way to farm gold?".

And someone replied, "Silverwastes. Always Silverwastes".

So yeah, no wonder it's quite active.

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @Shiyo.3578 said:

> > > @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > > > @Goettel.4389 said:

> > > > SW is evidently popular, and I for one find it great content.

> > > It's popular because it's one of the most profitable maps in the game. If Anet nerfed the rewards to match the rest of the game, it'd be a ghost town within a day.

> >

> > This meme needs to stop.

> >

> >

>

> I agree, lets end the meme once and for all ANet!

> Prove to the player base that rewards don't matter. the map can stand on it's own.

> Remove the chest farm from SW and put it in Vabbi instead.

PoF metas certainly doesn’t help their case either.

While i agree that a big part of why SW is a great map is because of the profit, i still think SW got a lot of things right. I like that no matter where you are (above ground) you are contributing to the meta and it's plain to everyone what's going on. The LW3 maps you easily miss the "big" events if you are not nearby. Take ember bay where destroyer can be killed without you ever getting any notice in the ui.

SW is okay. It surely is not the model we should follow. We needless of rewards locked behind a long meta. I do not always want or have the time to play a map for 45mins - 1 hour.

I still think we should have map wide metas, though they should be a bit smaller and a bit shorter. Like the events in bloody fen.