More “paths” to legendary gear...

Swagger.1459

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> So, convenience? I still don't see any.

You don't have to. It's MY reasons for getting them. If you have other reasons that's fine too. The reason people want shiney's is ultimately completely irrelevant to whether working towards them should be possible in all game modes.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > So, convenience? I still don't see any.

>

> You don't have to. It's MY reasons for getting them. If you have other reasons that's fine too. The reason people want shiney's is ultimately completely irrelevant to whether working towards them should be possible in all game modes.

Of course everyone has their own reasons. I'm not questioning that. I'm questioning one particular reason because it just doesn't make any sense.

Also I should point out that all game modes have shinies to work toward.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > Inventory space has objective value defined by the price of the bag plus the price of an extra bag slot in gold. It's cheap. Compared to the price of a legendary, it's dirt cheap.

> > > > Lol, nope. Inventory space has a subjective value that depends on whether the person needs more space or not. I know people that feel perfectly fine with base bag slots filled with 12-slot crafted bags, that simply do not understand how someone can run out of inventory space. I know people for whom a fully unlocked set of 32 slot bags would not be enough. While for both of them the bags have the same price, the _value_ of inventory space would be completely different.

> > >

> > > Maxed bag slots, all 20-slot bags except one 32 one. Nah, I can't run out of it. And I do carry lots of spare ascended items for build swapping, different foods and so forth. Still, my armor saves me 5 inventory slots (because I still need to carry the extra rune set I'm using), and costs much, much more. For instance, I can upgrade a 20-slot to a 32-slot bag for less than 1/10th of the price, getting 12 instead of 5 free slots. Nothing subjective here.

> >

> > Not being rude.. and nothing against you if this is how you roll, but this is beyond silly to me. Make several sets of ascended armor? Are you people insane? I guess, to the elitist power gamer that is swimming in Ascended drops from all those T4 CM fractals, this is a nothing issue.

> >

> > But to average gamers.. LOL.. more then one set of armor.. not going to happen.

>

> Suuuuure. But a set of legendary armor is totally plausible, right? Nevermind the x10 cost. :lol:

It's still only one set, and the only set I would ever need to make.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > > Would be nice to have a path to all legendary gear (weapons, armors, trinkets and back pieces) for every mode (owpve, dungeons, fractals, raids, spvp, wvw)... so players can play how they want.

> > > >

> > > > Just remember folks... “It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.” - Mike O’Brien

> > >

> > > That makes no sense though ... you don't need it ... so you CAN play how you want.

> > The players asking for raids didn't need them either.

> >

> >

>

> Nobody needs to play a game. But if you assume they wanted to keep playing this game, then yes, they did need them. And unlike "I want shiny or quit", which is just petty, "I want something that's not boring or I quit" is a pretty valid stance.

How is _I want Raids and all the Gear and Special Shinies that go with it_ .. any less petty?

At least maybe now you realize how petty you look. And truth be told none of you would have quit if they didn't put them in, those that would have, had already quit years ago, those that stuck around would have hemmed and hawed, but stayed playing. Nothing personal and not being rude, but reality is, it was a mistake to cater to that demographic, the game would have been better off if the people that needed to find validation in a game in the form of raids moved on to one of the many other games that already had them implemented and were built around them, like maybe Wildstar or something, as opposed to having them shoehorned into GW2.

Not being rude, but raids have added nothing positive to this game as far as I see it, and I would wager a bet they lost well over 10% of their casual player base due to adding raids, which far outstrips the few that they retained by inclusion into the game.

But again.. all this is irrelevant.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > Would be nice to have a path to all legendary gear (weapons, armors, trinkets and back pieces) for every mode (owpve, dungeons, fractals, raids, spvp, wvw)... so players can play how they want.

> > > >

> > > > Just remember folks... “It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.” - Mike O’Brien

> > >

> > > That makes no sense though ... you don't need it ... so you CAN play how you want.

> >

> >

>

> Nobody needs to play a game. But if you assume they wanted to keep playing this game, then yes, they did need them.

Not any more than i "need" legendary armor. They didn't need them. They wanted them. There's no difference whatsoever.

> And unlike "I want shiny or quit", which is just petty, "I want something that's not boring or I quit" is a pretty valid stance.

It's not "I want something that's not boring or I quit". It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit". Please, don't tell me it's more valid stance, because i really don't see any difference (well, besides the one where i _don't_ want to forbid anything to you, but you do want exactly that, which i consider to be far more petty actually)

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Swagger.1459" said:

> > > Would be nice to have a path to all legendary gear (weapons, armors, trinkets and back pieces) for every mode (owpve, dungeons, fractals, raids, spvp, wvw)... so players can play how they want.

> > >

> > > Just remember folks... “It all gets back to our basic design philosophy. Our games aren’t about preparing to have fun, or about grinding for a future fun reward. Our games are designed to be fun from moment to moment.” - Mike O’Brien

> >

> > That makes no sense though ... you don't need it ... so you CAN play how you want.

> The players asking for raids didn't need them either.

>

>

What is your point? I don't see how that's related to my comment. OP wants to relate this to 'playing how you want' ... except he's misunderstood what Anet meant by that statement; it was never Anet's intent to allow players to play how they want to get things they want to have. It was to play how you want, period. There is no expectation for obtain loot or being successful or anything attached to that statement ... so when people attach things to it like "I should be able to play how I want _to get legendary gear_", they are just abusing the intent.

How that relates to players not needing legendary gear for raids ... is a leap in logic you're going to have to provide.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> Not being rude, but raids have added nothing positive to this game as far as I see it, and I would wager a bet they lost well over 10% of their casual player base due to adding raids, which far outstrips the few that they retained by inclusion into the game.

I think they would maybe lose 0,001% or less of the player population if they dropped raids like dungeons. I can't imagine someone looking up games for raiding on the Internet, and then deciding to start playing GW2 because the raids are so popular. They would play WoW or FF14, not GW2.

I wonder what Anet's expectation was when it comes to how many players of the community end up raiding, and how far away this number is from reality.

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> What is your point? I don't see how that's related to my comment.

His point is that "don't need" is a pointless remark for anything. You only really need is water, food, air, shelter and maybe community. Anything else is a want, but it's what drives us.

> > And unlike "I want shiny or quit", which is just petty, "I want something that's not boring or I quit" is a pretty valid stance.

> It's not "I want something that's not boring or I quit". It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit". Please, don't tell me it's more valid stance, because i really don't see any difference (well, besides the one where i _don't_ want to forbid anything to you, but you do want exactly that, which i consider to be far more petty actually)

>

>

>

Wrong. The exclusive shinies are just a necessity. You'll find them in every single piece of new content. Like the just released new map came with an exclusive backpack skin, an exclusive free 32-slot bag and an exclusive shoulder (I think it is) skin. You don't bitch about them, you bitch about envoy armor, but there is zero difference. In both cases it's an exclusive reward which is put there to ensure there's a critical mass of players drawn to this content.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > > Inventory space has objective value defined by the price of the bag plus the price of an extra bag slot in gold. It's cheap. Compared to the price of a legendary, it's dirt cheap.

> > > > > Lol, nope. Inventory space has a subjective value that depends on whether the person needs more space or not. I know people that feel perfectly fine with base bag slots filled with 12-slot crafted bags, that simply do not understand how someone can run out of inventory space. I know people for whom a fully unlocked set of 32 slot bags would not be enough. While for both of them the bags have the same price, the _value_ of inventory space would be completely different.

> > > >

> > > > Maxed bag slots, all 20-slot bags except one 32 one. Nah, I can't run out of it. And I do carry lots of spare ascended items for build swapping, different foods and so forth. Still, my armor saves me 5 inventory slots (because I still need to carry the extra rune set I'm using), and costs much, much more. For instance, I can upgrade a 20-slot to a 32-slot bag for less than 1/10th of the price, getting 12 instead of 5 free slots. Nothing subjective here.

> > >

> > > Not being rude.. and nothing against you if this is how you roll, but this is beyond silly to me. Make several sets of ascended armor? Are you people insane? I guess, to the elitist power gamer that is swimming in Ascended drops from all those T4 CM fractals, this is a nothing issue.

> > >

> > > But to average gamers.. LOL.. more then one set of armor.. not going to happen.

> >

> > Suuuuure. But a set of legendary armor is totally plausible, right? Nevermind the x10 cost. :lol:

>

> It's still only one set, and the only set I would ever need to make.

It is still a lot more expensive than crafting multiple sets. Which makes the latter a lot more realistic scenario for the casual gamer, contrary to what you claim.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> How is _I want Raids and all the Gear and Special Shinies that go with it_ .. any less petty?

See above the answer to @Astralporing.1957. Yeah, it's not petty at all because the second part of the sentence is all wrong. It is "I want raids and **fair** rewards". And a fair reward means equal treating. You want this? Then you put the same effort everyone else did. Simple. Fair.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

>

> yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

>

No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

> @"yann.1946" said:

> What people call the raid armour is actually the HOT armour.

>

> So how would you implement the Core/POF armour?

> Let's make this a productive debate instead of the typical i want this/No you don't we usually get.

Well anet havent said they would ever do a core or pof armor so they dont need to implement it.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

> >

> > yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> >

>

> No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

True,. but it also shows that by Human Nature, people are lying about wanting more challenge, they simply want exclusive stuff to be put out reach of others. Very pitiful really, can't understand why Anet fell for it either.

> @"Voltekka.2375" said:

> @"STIHL.2489" Why dont you make wvw leggy or PvP leggy armor? What is stopping you?

Humm let me think.. why don't I just go play a **more challenging game mode like PvP**, which requires more skill, more time and more effort to be good at, for the armor.. Wow.. well.. beyond the obvious of it being more demanding, requiring more skill, and having more challenging opponents.. I can't think of any reason not to do that path.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

> > >

> > > yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> > >

> >

> > No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

>

> True,. but it also shows that by Human Nature, people are lying about wanting more challenge, they simply want exclusive stuff to be put out reach of others. Very pitiful really, can't understand why Anet fell for it either.

And that's why there are folks in ANet designing games and you don't. Although the explanation is really simple. The problem is, you don't like it and you don't want to accepted. Luckily, that's your own problem.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

> > > >

> > > > yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> > > >

> > >

> > > No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

> >

> > True,. but it also shows that by Human Nature, people are lying about wanting more challenge, they simply want exclusive stuff to be put out reach of others. Very pitiful really, can't understand why Anet fell for it either.

>

> And that's why there are folks in ANet designing games and you don't. Although the explanation is really simple. The problem is, you don't like it and you don't want to accepted. Luckily, that's your own problem.

And a change in rewards, like I proposed, serves to drive up retention rates, provides longer term paths to rewards that’s enjoyable for all players and gets more players participating in the game economy... Happier players leads to higher quarterly financials for a game development team that constantly says, in various ways, that they “don’t have the resources” to modernize, fix and make various improvements. ...And that’s what some of you don’t understand.

Edit- and for the record... I have 15 legendary weapons, a full set of medium legendary raid armor, warbringer and aurora.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > > > > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

> > > >

> > > > yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> > > >

> > >

> > > No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

> >

> > True,. but it also shows that by Human Nature, people are lying about wanting more challenge, they simply want exclusive stuff to be put out reach of others. Very pitiful really, can't understand why Anet fell for it either.

>

> And that's why there are folks in ANet designing games and you don't. Although the explanation is really simple. The problem is, you don't like it and you don't want to accepted. Luckily, that's your own problem.

Well it's not really my problem.

I mean.. it's not something I have to deal with to be honest, as we have already clearly said many times over, none of us need to play games, and given how saturated the market is right now.. none of us need to play **this** game.

Yah I know it's a broken record about walking away and taking our money with us, but, given that my demographic is not the one that comes in and complains and cries that the game needs to change to suit them or how we need more challenge or what have you, we just show up, if the game is fun to us we stick around and spend money, given most of us are casual by real life commitments like jobs and family, we do have at least some disposable income to toss at our hobby, and enjoy the game, and often do so because we can't just dump the hours to grind for everything we want, so we stay, play and pay into the system for as long as it remains accessible to us.

When or if the company decides to do something insanely stupid like make the game inaccessible to us, by and large we quietly move on. Some of us may say something, most of us don't. I mean lets get real, there are like 3 "casuals" in this discussion with far more raid proponents, and only around 5% of the game does raids, that should give an idea how disproportionate the forum ratios are, and even I am saying something now, I know I didn't say anything after leaving because I didn't like HoT... I didn't fuss they needed to fix the game.. I just walked away.

And again, given the market saturation there is no shortage of other games to chose from, all of which are more then happy to welcome someone willing to spend money on their hobby and quietly enjoy their game.

So.. No.. alienate my demographic and losing the funds that go with it, is decidedly Anet's problem, speaking of which, are you enjoying being price gouged by the mounts.. you can thank the dwindling casuals for that.. after all Anet needs to make money, and since we are spending ours somewhere else, that bill is now YOUR problem.. not mine.

Enjoy the Raids.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> given most of us are casual by real life commitments like jobs and family....

> So.. No.. alienate my demographic and losing the funds that go with it....

I'm in the casual "demographic". I don't currently raid and also don't feel in the least "alienated". Please refrain from assuming that your feelings are shared by everyone in a similar circumstance.

> given the market saturation there is no shortage of other games to chose from....

Yet GW2 actually has one of the best combat mechanic systems around; if you give some of the other titles a try, you might see that they fail to match on several levels.

Back on topic - there are three ways to obtain leg armor and that is how the game designers have created it. Your proposal seems to be to simplify the acquisition methods, therefore simplify those aspects of the game. Studies have shown that given two options, a player will predominantly chose the "safer", long grind over the faster, "riskier" method. So you will end up with 80% of those trying to obtain leg armor taking the long grind route. Everyone can relate, that the grind way is boring; which could lead to people leaving the game because of lack of stimulation.

There is definitely no need for any other "paths" to leg gear in my opinion.

> And again, given the market saturation there is no shortage of other games to chose from, all of which are more then happy to welcome someone willing to spend money on their hobby and quietly enjoy their game.

Do you really think that devs from other games always do exactly as their customers request? Do you think they'll roll out a velvet carpet for you when you announce you're joining them?

Lastly, with all due respect, your post comes across as rather passive aggressive, sure you can complain about whatever you like, but trying to not-so-subtlety apply pressure by suggesting you're going to move on, is just juvenile.

> @"STIHL.2489" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit".

> > >

> > > yah.. this whole "Challenge" is just a mask to ask for Exclusive Content and Stuffs, that they feel the unwashed masses should not get. It's always the same, across all games. It's never the challenge, as they all openly admit if they made an easy mode with similar rewards, no one would do hard. So it's not a drive for challenge, it's an insidious way to demand exclusive stuff.. which is pretty much the epitome of being petty if you ask me.

> > >

> >

> > No thats just human nature if there is a easier way to get something they do that.

>

> True,. but it also shows that by Human Nature, people are lying about wanting more challenge, they simply want exclusive stuff to be put out reach of others. Very pitiful really, can't understand why Anet fell for it either.

They want challenge true but they also want to be rewarded for said challenge.

Why cant you spvp or wvw for your legendary armor no challenge needed just time.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> They want challenge true but they also want to be rewarded for said challenge.

Sure, but do those rewards need to be exclusive? That's where the "want" comes.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Why cant you spvp or wvw for your legendary armor no challenge needed just time.

I'm working for the WvW one as well, thank you very much (got burned out on spvp due to getting the Ascension, so currently that option is closed for me).

Still, it's telling that a lot of purely PvE players i know prefer to get the legendary armor through PvP means over the PvE option.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > And unlike "I want shiny or quit", which is just petty, "I want something that's not boring or I quit" is a pretty valid stance.

> > It's not "I want something that's not boring or I quit". It's "I want that content, _and exclusive shinies to go with it, ones noone else is allowed to have_ or i quit". Please, don't tell me it's more valid stance, because i really don't see any difference (well, besides the one where i _don't_ want to forbid anything to you, but you do want exactly that, which i consider to be far more petty actually)

> >

> >

> >

>

> Wrong. The exclusive shinies are just a necessity.

You don't need them at all. You just want them.

> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> You'll find them in every single piece of new content. Like the just released new map came with an exclusive backpack skin, an exclusive free 32-slot bag and an exclusive shoulder (I think it is) skin.

The 32-slot bag is not exclusive - there is one more source for those (just not a free one). Additionally both bag and backpack are low engagement - you can progress towards those with casual dropping in/out for 15 minutes apiece, with no preparation. Notice how the part that's harder to get (the meta skin reward) for each LS has also two alternate paths to obtain it (WvW and SPvP reward tracks).

If envoy armor required the same engagement level in raids as the LS stuff, we wouldn't be having this conversation at all.

Now, if you want to complain about Aurora and ask it to be available through raids somehow (or ask for a full raid trinket set), i would _not_ be opposed to that.

> @"MarshallLaw.9260" said:

> Yet GW2 actually has one of the best combat mechanic systems around; if you give some of the other titles a try, you might see that they fail to match on several levels.

Buahahaha ha ha ha ha ha...

GW2 is _decent_.. I'll give you that.. but it is nowhere near the engaging combat of a game like BDO, in fact games like DDO (made in 2006) has better combat mechanics. So lets put this whole thing to rest, it's decent.. not great.. and nowhere near the best out there. And in comparison to the MOBA I am playing (which to be honest is considered pretty bad on the MOBA circuit, I just like IP) , GW2' class balance is horrible.

Just want to clear that up, it's not the combat that holds me, if it holds you, then, No offence but your sampling was pretty bad.

>

> Lastly, with all due respect, your post comes across as rather passive aggressive, sure you can complain about whatever you like, but trying to not-so-subtlety apply pressure by suggesting you're going to move on, is just juvenile.

and this is different then the people that cried for harder content and that they were losing interest how? Hint: It's not.

And I am not suggesting anything, I know for a fact people are leaving over this issue. As for suggesting, LOL, nahh.. I am flat out saying that it's a matter of time at this point.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"yann.1946" said:

> > What people call the raid armour is actually the HOT armour.

> >

> > So how would you implement the Core/POF armour?

> > Let's make this a productive debate instead of the typical i want this/No you don't we usually get.

>

> Well anet havent said they would ever do a core or pof armor so they dont need to implement it.

True but this whole debate is based on the fact that people would like another option so i'm quite interested how people see this option.

What do they want to do to get it etc.

> Still, it's telling that a lot of purely PvE players i know prefer to get the legendary armor through PvP means over the PvE option.

>

>

I know.. Brilliant idea.. Why don't all the PvE scrubs go and farm PvP for their PvE loot.. I bet the WvW and sPvP players would love that!

Do these people even think about what they are saying?