Can we have a Dervish playable class?

1. we won't get a new class, elite specs cover that ground in anet's eyes

2. dervish mechanics are already in game but spread out over multiple classes (daredevil staff being one of them) (if you just want dervish for a mechanic that isn't in game already then it would need to be reworked entirely to work with gw2's combat system)

3. dervish's theme doesn't work outside of humans because of the human god aspect, if you remove the human god aspect you're left with a revenant.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what you ask for that started in Gw1, look to be disappointed when translated to Gw2. Be prepared for that.

The simplest classes, which are very core, didn't see a dramatic change; warrior, ranger, mesmer, and elementalist. The monk was nixed because now everyone has a self-heal, the necro is close, but has enough upgrades to set it apart. There are no real equals to any of the expansion classes; assassin, dervish, paragon, or ritualist.

Dervish while nice looking in GW1 I think must be my least played and least liked profession. There was something fun swinging with that scythe, but the class mechanics where not what I loved about GW1.

I remember me having more fun with my assassin scythe build before they nerfed that.

Not that sad that we do not get to play it in GW2 :/

I really do hope they will consider to "re-create" their weapon mechanism playable from NPCs to make it even better and polish it for us players. Polearm perhaps?

I really want Ritualist, Paragon, Dervish (_and Assassin_).

I got hope and fingers crossed?

I mean.. they did add Sword to Ele, sniper to Thief as the most requested weapons from the playerbase.

Spear and Scythe could still be a staff weapon if that's too hard to create the new weapon mechanism but uses similar as Rev and Daredevil, battle staff.

I didn't play my Dervish a lot, nowhere near as much as I played my Assassin, Paragon, and hoo boy my second Ritualist. People often say that aspects of these professions got folded into various GW2 professions, but to me that's like saying aspects of Godzilla got folded into Barney. It just ain't the same. So, anyway, yeah. Please do bring the Dervish back. Bring 'em ALL back. Monk, too. Pretty please with sugar on top.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> I think now the dervish would make a great elite spec for the Elementalist.

> Dancing around, with an axe in both hands. Guided by 4 Djinn representing one of each elements. Like the storm elemental from the event chain in Ohlmakan

That's a good idea but I doubt Ele will ever get dual axes. Only War is the "master of arms" and get to equip 2x of a one-handed weapon. (2x axes, 2x maces, 2x swords etc)

I would personally hope that they will somehow go with Dervish's original design, channeling to the gods, but as all the races are able to use it.

Why cant non-humans follow the gods anyway? Similar to Ranger's Soulbeast, I get a huge feeling that it's based on Norns spirits. Dolyak, Moa, Wolf etc stances.

Perhaps it will be a similar feature as the Rev does channeling the legends but the Dervish get access to channeling the Six gods? / the elite skill will be channeling to the gods but a mix of their skill abilities?

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > I think now the dervish would make a great elite spec for the Elementalist.

> > Dancing around, with an axe in both hands. Guided by 4 Djinn representing one of each elements. Like the storm elemental from the event chain in Ohlmakan

>

> That's a good idea but I doubt Ele will ever get dual axes. Only War is the "master of arms" and get to equip 2x of a one-handed weapon. (2x axes, 2x maces, 2x swords etc)

> I would personally hope that they will somehow go with Dervish's original design, channeling to the gods, but as all the races are able to use it.

> Why cant non-humans follow the gods anyway? Similar to Ranger's Soulbeast, I get a huge feeling that it's based on Norns spirits. Dolyak, Moa, Wolf etc stances.

>

> Perhaps it will be a similar feature as the Rev does channeling the legends but the Dervish get access to channeling the Six gods? / the elite skill will be channeling to the gods but a mix of their skill abilities?

Warrior is not the only class that gets to dual wield one handed weapons

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > I think now the dervish would make a great elite spec for the Elementalist.

> > > Dancing around, with an axe in both hands. Guided by 4 Djinn representing one of each elements. Like the storm elemental from the event chain in Ohlmakan

> >

> > That's a good idea but I doubt Ele will ever get dual axes. Only War is the "master of arms" and get to equip 2x of a one-handed weapon. (2x axes, 2x maces, 2x swords etc)

> > I would personally hope that they will somehow go with Dervish's original design, channeling to the gods, but as all the races are able to use it.

> > Why cant non-humans follow the gods anyway? Similar to Ranger's Soulbeast, I get a huge feeling that it's based on Norns spirits. Dolyak, Moa, Wolf etc stances.

> >

> > Perhaps it will be a similar feature as the Rev does channeling the legends but the Dervish get access to channeling the Six gods? / the elite skill will be channeling to the gods but a mix of their skill abilities?

>

> Warrior is not the only class that gets to dual wield one handed weapons

Yeah, I know, but I was referring to Elite Specs weapons.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> 1. we won't get a new class, elite specs cover that ground in anet's eyes

>

> 2. dervish mechanics are already in game but spread out over multiple classes (daredevil staff being one of them) (if you just want dervish for a mechanic that isn't in game already then it would need to be reworked entirely to work with gw2's combat system)

>

> 3. dervish's theme doesn't work outside of humans because of the human god aspect, if you remove the human god aspect you're left with a revenant.

1: And how the heck do you know that?

2: sure, there are some... no wait... there's not... the daredevil staff have no relation to the scythe. It's not a Large AOE weapon as the scythe was, an Axe/Axe warrior is closer to a Dervish than the daredevil will ever come. It's not even close in resemblance.

Reworking the Dervish, would not be all that hard. Looking at all the other elite specs, the dervish wouldn't be all that tough to make.

3: That is simply not true. The Revenant have none of the feel of the Dervish nor any of the mechanics that made the Dervish fun to play. The Dervish did have some Avatar forms which were elite skills, but those were not the a main mechanic to the class. They were, to a large extent, AOE melee fighters, with powerful enchantments. Enchanting themselves was their main focus, removing enchantments from themselves, was their secondary focus. Some dervishes set themselves up to debuff, but they weren't ever close to being as good at it as the mesmer was. We have NOTHING in game that resemble a dervish enchantment. We have NOTHING in game that resemble a Scythe. Sure, we have something that to a minor extent could hint about the avatar forms, but they work in a vastly different way.

That said the Dervish channelled the elements. It was lore wise related to the human Gods, sure. But the class was used wide and broad on things that had no relation to Gods, such as a wide variety of animals, monsters, Golems (MOX for instance)... and roller beetles. The Dervish in guild wars 2, they are all over Istan, use Dervish skills, even the avatar forms, even though the Gods have left both us and their own realms, for good.

Hence it's quite obvious to assume that the Dervish skills never had a true relation to the gods.

> @"Zelanard.5806" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > 1. we won't get a new class, elite specs cover that ground in anet's eyes

> >

> > 2. dervish mechanics are already in game but spread out over multiple classes (daredevil staff being one of them) (if you just want dervish for a mechanic that isn't in game already then it would need to be reworked entirely to work with gw2's combat system)

> >

> > 3. dervish's theme doesn't work outside of humans because of the human god aspect, if you remove the human god aspect you're left with a revenant.

>

> 1: And how the heck do you know that?

this was specificly said by anet (if i recall correctly it was said in a post during the lead up on hot)

> 2: sure, there are some... no wait... there's not... the daredevil staff have no relation to the scythe. It's not a Large AOE weapon as the scythe was, an Axe/Axe warrior is closer to a Dervish than the daredevil will ever come. It's not even close in resemblance.

> Reworking the Dervish, would not be all that hard. Looking at all the other elite specs, the dervish wouldn't be all that tough to make.

never underestimate the difficulty of game design

> 3: That is simply not true. The Revenant have none of the feel of the Dervish nor any of the mechanics that made the Dervish fun to play. The Dervish did have some Avatar forms which were elite skills, but those were not the a main mechanic to the class. They were, to a large extent, AOE melee fighters, with powerful enchantments. Enchanting themselves was their main focus, removing enchantments from themselves, was their secondary focus. Some dervishes set themselves up to debuff, but they weren't ever close to being as good at it as the mesmer was. We have NOTHING in game that resemble a dervish enchantment. We have NOTHING in game that resemble a Scythe. Sure, we have something that to a minor extent could hint about the avatar forms, but they work in a vastly different way.

> That said the Dervish channelled the elements. It was lore wise related to the human Gods, sure. But the class was used wide and broad on things that had no relation to Gods, such as a wide variety of animals, monsters, Golems (MOX for instance)... and roller beetles. The Dervish in guild wars 2, they are all over Istan, use Dervish skills, even the avatar forms, even though the Gods have left both us and their own realms, for good.

> Hence it's quite obvious to assume that the Dervish skills never had a true relation to the gods.

what i meant with theme is the lore/flavor aspect (ranger is the nature dude, necro is your dark magic user, rev is the mystic invoker) not the mechanical theme.

The classes of GW1 reflect the world of GW1. Which was 250ish years and a LOT of changes in the world before GW2. The human gods have abandoned Tyria; they said as much themselves in PoF. Whatever of their power is left in Tyria is just a remnant of their presence, which will eventually be exhausted. And as that happens, so too will the humans abandon the gods that abandoned them. That process was already in motion, however slightly, at the end of PoF. So no dervishes, no monks, none of that religious stuff. Tyria is a different world now, where the greatest powers that remain arguably are the Elder Dragons...and us. Humans, Charr, Norn, Sylvari, Asura. We are it, with the classes we have. And how the game deals with that reality going forward, will be interesting to experience for sure.

> @"Knighthonor.4061" said:

> Dervish already exist in the form of Revenant. They literally go by the same magical system of calling on beings from the Mist. And Rev has Melee Staff as well.

Revenant is the spiritual (no pun intended) successor to Ritualist, not Dervish. But on the topic of getting Dervish as a new class or specialization, I think it's highly unlikely they will add it with future expansions if they didn't already add it with Elona, the place of its origin.