Legendary Dilemma, help needed!

Rococo.8347

Being way behind the curve im only now getting around to crafting a Legendary having been here on and off since 2012.

The problem is, having looked at them, nothing since The Moot has ever really stood out for me other than the GS which everyone and their dog seems to have, I only ever have played scholar classes and prefer ranged to melee, so I don't have a use for mace that I can think of, ive also got a tonne of HoT related account bound mats so a second generation weapon would make sense.

I also really want a Legendary for its 'bling' if im honest, rather than its ability to stat change, ive heard some don't really have obvious footfall, animations etc which doesn't appeal - but beyond all of the above im abit overwhelmed with the choices - im also aware that the Gen 2 hasn't completed yet although I assume all the weapon types are catered for through gen1 and 2?

I could do with some thoughts and advice, im thinking:

1. are there any good soldier, class/specialization/builds that isn't melee only so I could finally justify making Moot?

2. if I were to make a gen 2 weapon as well which weapons are likely to come up in LS4 to complete the set? ( I also need a few masteries yet for Legendary gen 2 on the track which may be a pain)

3. what would be the most bang for your buck weapon that all three scholar classes could use and possibly other classes? I tend to play Necro and Ele

4. which weapons from both Gens have poor animations and effects? - as you can see with The Moot i'de rather be gaudy than subtle and which have the most outstanding?

5. Im not too worried about mats, im a hoarder, but did wonder, are gen 1 precursors generally cheaper to buy than craft?

Chuka and Champ bow though it's short. Raven staff has alot of bling as well. Ipos is ok but not as flash as the bow or staff. They are the only 3 legends I have or want really because as you said Gen 1 are easily bought and common. Youtube em. I've seen a few Gen 1 pres drop in Istan metas.

Legendaries left in gen2:

Longbow

Scepter

Dagger

Greatsword

Warhorn

I don't think any class uses mace as ranged weapon, nor really have a prominent ranged build that synergizes with mace. Also, as a hint, if you want a legendary for shiiiny (same here!) don't get one you're not certain you'll like to use!

As said before, Nevermore is seriously shiny/bling! Have a look at what it would need versus what you have. Or wait to see how the Scepter looks!

Bear in mind on the HoT legendaries (and I think on the newest ones you can also use PoF for, though would need confirmation from those that have made them), the footfalls have a much shorter lifespan than the "vanilla" legendaries. If a long trail of footprints is vital to you, you may want to focus on the earlier weapons even if some of the newer ones are more (subjectively) awesome.

For scholar classes, consider the Bifrost. You leave rainbows everywhere, and the staff itself looks like something one could actually wield. Besides Necro/Ele/Mesmer, Staff can also be used by Revenants, Thieves (when Daredevil), Guardians, and Rangers (when Druid). So only Warriors and Engineers cannot use it (yet, who knows what Elites may come).

For cool effects, I like HOPE (pistol, so fewer professions can use). You get colored electricity on your arm when wielding (both arms if you double skin), shiny red/blue circuitry footsteps (though they fade fast), and laser pew-pew shots with their own sound effect. The gun itself is wieldy and gun shaped, unlike many a game pistol.

Ele, Necro and Mesmer all have good Scepter builds. For soldier classes, Guardian also uses scepter to good effect. Meteorlogicus is very flashy so that could fit what you desire. The 2nd gen scepter has not yet been released though.

Incidently, all of those classes (Scourge elite for Necro only), along with Ranger and Warrior (Berserker only) can use Torch. So you could make Rodgort first gen. or Flames of War second gen.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> Legendaries left in gen2:

> Longbow

> Scepter

> Dagger

> Greatsword

> Warhorn

>

> I don't think any class uses mace as ranged weapon, nor really have a prominent ranged build that synergizes with mace. Also, as a hint, if you want a legendary for shiiiny (same here!) don't get one you're not certain you'll like to use!

>

> As said before, Nevermore is seriously shiny/bling! Have a look at what it would need versus what you have. Or wait to see how the Scepter looks!

Predicting the following order of release:

Warhorn

Scepter

Dagger

Longbow

Greatsword

The most important thing with a legendary is that **you** like how it looks and want to use it. In the unlikely event that anyone else cares you've got it they're highly unlikely to tell you that - at best you may occasionally notice someone else standing next to you for no apparent reason, and they may be looking at your weapon/character. Or they might be using chat, or going through their inventory or answering the phone or...

(If it's important to you that other people acknowledge you've got it then I recommend making The Dreamer. Quite a few people don't know about the Mute Unique Item Sounds options so you'll periodically get angry whispers from them about how much they hate it, and you for using it.)

If you want something all 3 casters can use then The Bifrost or Nevermore are probably the best choices, because all 3 can use staff and it's one of the most widely used weapons in the game. IMO both are also quite flashy, although the footsteps on Bifrost are quite subtle.

There's videos on Youtube of each legendary in use by various professions, those might be helpful for choosing which one you like best.

Sound advice so far in this thread. You really want to ask yourself what you want and some answers you will find for yourself that way.

Meteorologicus was my first Legendary, made it in 2013, stil using it and the skin on different chars to this day, I really like it. But I'd wait, and hoard ;), until they release the Gen2 Scepter, should you go for scepter. The Juggernaut has a very special effect and is a ranged weapon for Revenants.

Both SB Legys are quite flashy and can be used by Renegades(PoF Rev Elite), who also use a mace...or a staff for that matter. Giving you the opportunity to go Dreamer-Moot-Bifrost for maximum gaudyness...add in Shoshadoo as well if you have the mats to spare ;).

I'm quite happy with my thief as well. Went for a steampunk look wielding Incinerator/H.O.P.E. and Predator, the lasersounds are awesome...the rifle makes so much noise.

Quip, while visually not as present as other Legys, leaves an impression wit its sound efffects as well and it's not that common. Aurora has a nice flashy effect, might consider dumping your stuff there or into one of the backpieces.

Solution: Make all of them. :D

I'd suggest getting a character slot and creating a character entirely on the theme of The Moot (I've done this with Quip). Or if there is another weapon that you feel would work better there, go for that one.

The thing about crafting a legendary is that for a number of people, crafting that first one can be this grueling grindy task that seems to take forever.

Then... you finally throw those four pieces into the forge, forcing Zomorros to present you with the weapon of your dreams.

You equip it. Marvel at it. Run in circles for a bit to watch the footfalls, go and bash some mobs with it, and really enjoy your work.

You sit there admiring the weapon and go "Never again."

Then someone runs past you with a different legendary, and your brain goes "No... I... maybe... I've done it once before.. I know where I could save time... "

I built my Necro around the 'Nevermore' leggie. Used a character contract to go with an all celestial/blue aura theme...from the hair....gear....used cash to buy glow-gloves and wings. I find that 'Fashion Wars' does take over for me on a couple of my toons.

In regards to the above post about "Never again."....been there after Nevermore. I don't farm (90% PvP oriented), so mats/gold are few...and real life cash/gem conversion gets expensive.....but I am drooling over 'Ipos' and might have to bite the bullet.

This is all great! thank you - im still obsessed with Moot though having slept on it, and having looked again the Dreamer and Bifrost are pretty cool second tier choices for me though Dreamer wouldn't get used that much

- im surprised I like the gaudy ones so much, in terms of 'prestige' though that's not my motivation at all, I think I just want something that makes me smile more than anything.

Is there any remotely acceptable build for soldier professions with mace that I could still range for 50% of the time? im ok with that compromise of it exists because I really want that Moot.

Also holding out for the 2 gen sceptre is looking like a very good idea for a second weapon, considering what everyone has said about builds. Im assuming all of them come out with LS4? and LS4 should be on going for at least another year? im thinking 6 episodes 6 weapons to go....

Having checked my hoards of mats was surprised to find that I only have 20 sparks compared to almost 2000 auric dust, this sounds really out of whack? any tips of farming that should I go gen 2 would be appreciated

[Condi-Renegade](https://snowcrows.com/raids/revenant/ "Condi-Renegade") uses a mace and is quite good. Since you want a ranged variant and the meta dooesn't have a second weapon set, i think you're free to go for SB, i.e. the dreamer.

For any of the HoT stuff, just do the events, spend some time on the maps, open chests and you'll have your mats/currencies soon.

@OP:

Another thing you can do is start gathering the T6 materials. Gen 1 Legendary weapons take a full stack of each of those for the Gift of Fortune. Getting yourself a side reserve of 100Gold is something else you can do while you are still deciding. If you go with Gen 1, you'll need it for Icy Runestones. If you go with Gen 2, you can use it for various other items. If you don't have 500 Obsidian Shards, you can gather those two while thinking things over (~250 needed to craft 77 mystic clovers required for crafting either the Gift of Fortune (Gen. 1), or the Mystic Tribute (Gen 2)).

You'll also need at least 250 Mystic coins, regardless of what Legendary you want to craft.

So, in that respect, there are a number of items you can work on obtaining before you even decide which one to craft. :)

In response to your questions:

1. Are there any Mace-wielding builds that aren't primarily melee?

Yes, Revenant uses the Mace quite well, has enough variation in effective ranges through its kit, and its Renegade spec focuses on zone control and the Shortbow.

2. What new Legendaries are coming up?

We simply don't know what the "second generation" legendaries will be or look like. We can infer that a Greatsword, Warhorn, Scepter, Longbow, and Dagger are coming in before other skins.

3. What is the most "bang for your buck"?

Depends on how you quantify that. For sheer utility, you can't beat a Sword. Every profession, barring Necromancer, can use a Sword (though Engi and Ele require Elite Specs to do so). Spear is usable by 7/9 professions without Elite specs, though is limited to underwater content, and 7/9 can use the Staff, including all five "caster" classes (six if you count Druid Ranger). In terms of prettyness/aesthetic, well... that's too subjective. Personally, I love Kamohoali'i Kotaki because summoning giant sharks is awesome.

4. Which weapons have the least impressive visuals?

Again, that's subjective, but I'm told that Quip doesn't work properly. I'll link you the [Gallery](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_legendary_weapons "Gallery"); you can search for yourself.

5. Are "Gen1" Precursors cheaper to buy than craft?

Yes, they are... currently. Though market values fluctuate rapidly, especially around materials like that, the cost in Gold usually ends up being less buying the Precursor directly than crafting one yourself. The difference in time spent completing the collections and farming specific mats vs farming hundreds of Gold is negligible.

> @"Neural.1824" said:

> @OP:

> Another thing you can do is start gathering the T6 materials. Gen 1 Legendary weapons take a full stack of each of those for the Gift of Fortune. Getting yourself a side reserve of 100Gold is something else you can do while you are still deciding. If you go with Gen 1, you'll need it for Icy Runestones. If you go with Gen 2, you can use it for various other items. If you don't have 500 Obsidian Shards, you can gather those two while thinking things over (~250 needed to craft 77 mystic clovers required for crafting either the Gift of Fortune (Gen. 1), or the Mystic Tribute (Gen 2)).

> You'll also need at least 250 Mystic coins, regardless of what Legendary you want to craft.

> So, in that respect, there are a number of items you can work on obtaining before you even decide which one to craft. :)

I almost never sell anything lol - I have enough already for one legendary in terms of mystic coins/clover, obsidian shards and T6, off the top of my head - im assuming by the time the new sceptre turns up and ive finally ground out all my Tyria mastery I will be broke, ive heard obsidian is hard to get to be honest ive only got 500 because ive almost never used my cache the whole time ive played same for mystic coins

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> In response to your questions:

I found a really good youtube series earlier on the Gen 1 and looked again for gen2 weapons and have now decided against Bifrost, because you lose Ele animations which is a shame as like you said I could use staff a lot ( nevermore is too specific a look for me) I also saw that there have been updates to animations etc over the years so am now 'up to date'

To be honest its still Moot at the top with what's currently available, and I like The Dreamer, Minstrel and Bolt as second choices - im going to wait to see the new sceptre and possibly GS aswell, but I guess if im being pragmatic it should be Bolt for my first one as im assuming most classes will have a reasonable build that would use it.

Im going to get my Revenant and Guardian out and play around and see if I actually like the play style with a mace ( ive also seen a wacky video for double mace Spellbreaker?!) if I like two of them then I can justify the Moot!

I play Guardian and much like you I was looking for bling.

Started off with Twilight because back then it was just so cool and at the time most people couldn't afford to craft one. But now I literally have reskinned it to the Dreamthistle GS because it fits in better with my Sylvari look. Turns out I'm not as into the dark broody shadow look as I previously thought.

Next I crafted the Fractal backpiece to have as legendary backpiece. Rarely use the skin. Some alt uses it somewhere, but again I reskinned it.

I almost always would run a Scepter as my ranged weapon so I decided to go the Meteorlogicus route. I'm a big fan. I still use it (it's a bit gaudy but I like the footfalls).

Currently I'm working on Astralaria now that I'm running Firebrand. It's been a pretty slow process so far since you need pretty much a bunch of the various map currencies that I never bothered to save (I'm kicking myself now for it lol).

If you aren't interested in the swappable stats (one of main reasons I make them), then absolutely pick a weapon that a) you will definitely use and b) you like the effects.

Moot is one of those that would be rarely used. My PvP build uses mace, but that's not really a good enough reason to make it for me.

Gen 2 legendaries are not a small endeavor. You don't want to change your mind halfway through, that's for sure. Gen 1 legendaries are different since you can just purchase them outright, or purchase the precursor and slowly gather the mats to make it. There is a bunch of overlap once you have the precursor so in the mean time while you think about what weapon you want, start collecting T6 mats, ectos, mystic clovers, etc. Those are used for crafting every legendary.

> @"Rococo.8347" said:

> I almost never sell anything lol - I have enough already for one legendary in terms of mystic coins/clover, obsidian shards and T6, off the top of my head - im assuming by the time the new sceptre turns up and ive finally ground out all my Tyria mastery I will be broke, ive heard obsidian is hard to get to be honest ive only got 500 because ive almost never used my cache the whole time ive played same for mystic coins

Obtaining Obsidian Shards is mostly a matter of grinding karma or running around in the Silver Wastes zone. I prefer to buy them with karma at the NPC in Straits after the temple of Balthazar is open.

There are essentially three approaches to choosing a legendary:

* Pick your favorite bling and then adjust your main to a build/character design that makes good use of it.

* Pick one of the weapons already in use by your main

* Make them all (eventually), to avoid having to deal with such difficult decisions.

So for example, in @"Danikat.8537"'s example, if you chose the Dreamer, you'd probably end up with a human Bearbow (annoying sounds/animations to match the build that unhinges so many players) or an asura Dragonhunter (dressed up as a power-ranging smurf). Or I know people who rolled a new mesmer just to make use of [The Binding of Ipos](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Binding_of_Ipos).

Or choose the optimum bling to suit your current main. If you're a condi ranger, you might want [Chumbawamba](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Chuka_and_Champawat) _or_ [Astralaria](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Astralaria) plus [Rodgort](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rodgort)

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> So for example, in @"Danikat.8537"'s example, if you chose the Dreamer, you'd probably end up with a human Bearbow (annoying sounds/animations to match the build that unhinges so many players)

Hey I resemble that stereotype! Although traditionally a bearbow build uses a longbow so they can stay safely out of danger, letting the pet tank and using minimal effort to complete things, and of course the Dreamer is a shortbow. And _my_ human female ranger is usually right in the middle of things, which is one reason I eventually chose the shortbow over longbow (that and it shoots freaking unicorns!).