Enough with the "New Race"

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > Enough with people telling others what to say or what to no say. Let people ask for what they want, and the devs will decide what to do. It's not your job.

> >

> > Pretty much this.

> >

> > Companies often spend significant resources trying to find out what their customers want. These forums allow Anet at least a small insight into their customers' desires. Arguing to deprive the company of this resource does no one any good.

>

> While telling people that wanting to have more races is pointless, its not stupid to express your own thoughts if you see no need for more races. If people who dont want or care for it dont express their opinion too, then anet gets a skewed idea of what percent are interested in it.

>

> I dont care either way. Asura master race.

I am all for people expressing a preference for not adding new races. I am not as good with those, such as the OP, telling others to not express their preferences for new races. Attempting to suppress feedback, whatever side it is on, does the game a disservice IMO.

That said, the post you quoted is more than seven months old. I am surprised that this thread is back on the front page.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"coso.9173" said:

> > > > Enough with people telling others what to say or what to no say. Let people ask for what they want, and the devs will decide what to do. It's not your job.

> > >

> > > Pretty much this.

> > >

> > > Companies often spend significant resources trying to find out what their customers want. These forums allow Anet at least a small insight into their customers' desires. Arguing to deprive the company of this resource does no one any good.

> >

> > While telling people that wanting to have more races is pointless, its not stupid to express your own thoughts if you see no need for more races. If people who dont want or care for it dont express their opinion too, then anet gets a skewed idea of what percent are interested in it.

> >

> > I dont care either way. Asura master race.

>

> I am all for people expressing a preference for not adding new races. I am not as good with those, such as the OP, telling others to not express their preferences for new races. Attempting to suppress feedback, whatever side it is on, does the game a disservice IMO.

>

> That said, the post you quoted is more than seven months old. I am surprised that this thread is back on the front page.

Yeah, why not make a new thread lol

Are u one of those Mount NO people? if enough people are willing to spend money on that Anet will do it.

I personal dont need another race in the game Combat Tonics could the solution for everybody

you can make a Norn look like a Drawf already with a Tonic and u can make a Largos use a Sylvary and that backpack from the gemstore, Koda Combat tonic is also already here.

now just need be able to mount and done

New race not necessarily have to be part of story so far.

Lets see, when Tera introduced first new class: reaper, it has gotten own starting zone, own story, to don't break the flow. They made exeptinal rules, repaers would start from lv 40 (cap was 65) and played had to have a lv 65 on acc in order to get a reaper. Something like this would work in GW2. Not a big fun of Tengu and I bet even if it comes most pepole that ask for it, won't play it.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> New race not necessarily have to be part of story so far.

> Lets see, when Tera introduced first new class: reaper, it has gotten own starting zone, own story, to don't break the flow. They made exeptinal rules, repaers would start from lv 40 (cap was 65) and played had to have a lv 65 on acc in order to get a reaper. Something like this would work in GW2. Not a big fun of Tengu and I bet even if it comes most pepole that ask for it, won't play it.

I don't know if you have noticed or not but the entire story up to level 30 is based on race, not profession, in GW2.

> @"Einsof.1457" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > New race not necessarily have to be part of story so far.

> > Lets see, when Tera introduced first new class: reaper, it has gotten own starting zone, own story, to don't break the flow. They made exeptinal rules, repaers would start from lv 40 (cap was 65) and played had to have a lv 65 on acc in order to get a reaper. Something like this would work in GW2. Not a big fun of Tengu and I bet even if it comes most pepole that ask for it, won't play it.

>

> I don't know if you have noticed or not but the entire story up to level 30 is based on race, not profession, in GW2.

What would be wrong with picking up a RACE from lv 60 and getting trough very personal starting zone on any profession?

Thtat was just an example how devs went on other game, just an idea, that could work for anything.

Reminder that the [New Playable Races - Choose your favorite](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/21242/new-playable-races-study-choose-your-favorite) thread is still going strong, with more than 550 votes.

The interest is real, that's undeniable.

> @"Einsof.1457" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > Lets see, when Tera introduced first new class: reaper, it has gotten own starting zone, own story, to don't break the flow. They made exeptinal rules, repaers would start from lv 40 (cap was 65) and played had to have a lv 65 on acc in order to get a reaper. Something like this would work in GW2. Not a big fun of Tengu and I bet even if it comes most pepole that ask for it, won't play it.

>

> I don't know if you have noticed or not but the entire story up to level 30 is based on race, not profession, in GW2.

They can skip everything perfectly. Make the commander storyline be over, and let us go freelance.

Then make new races start their story in the future, when the commander business is already over. Do not allow them to play older stories, and that's it.

We don't even need new capital cities, cultural armor, or anything like that. In fact, most games which have introduced new playable races have almost never given them the same treatment the release races got.

In fact, look no further than GW1, where newer professions had nothing for them in the older expansions.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> Are u one of those Mount NO people? if enough people are willing to spend money on that Anet will do it.

>

> I personal dont need another race in the game Combat Tonics could the solution for everybody

>

> you can make a Norn look like a Drawf already with a Tonic and u can make a Largos use a Sylvary and that backpack from the gemstore, Koda Combat tonic is also already here.

>

> now just need be able to mount and done

I might just be crazy here, and hear me out on this...but you can't customize combat tonics...

I mean, can we replace the whole of the wardrobe system with combat tonics? Yes, that works? Okay, then let's get rid of armor and the custom character creator and make-over kits and outfits and let's just have human, asura, sylvari, etc tonics instead!

> @"Einsof.1457" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

>

It was an example, i.e. Reaper introduced new content where you start at 45, do some stuff and then flow right back into the main game.

In the context of GW2, a new race can have some new content but skip the normal zhaitan/mordremoth part and flow into the current stuff.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> What would be wrong with picking up a RACE from lv 60 and getting trough very personal starting zone on any profession?

>

> Thtat was just an example how devs went on other game, just an idea, that could work for anything.

Well I'm quite sure if they ever add a new race, it will "skip" all previous content and start from the most current expansion. Maybe they'll need a low level starting zone to get to 80, but that can also be ignored by having the new race characters only available at level 80, further, if they make them level-80 only, they won't have to design the new map for low levels, instead make the new map level 80 as well. Make the new race available only to players that finished the current expansion story, so you can't make a character with the new race if you haven't beaten the expansion at least once. Give a character slot and a level-80 booster with the expansion that provides the race and we are all set for a very good sale. Make this race a Tengu because they have a starting city, culture, lore, animations similar to charr, and they can work wonderfully in GW2.

I'm positive that creating the entire personal story, the living world, and two expansions worth of voice acting for a new race will be a royal waste of resources and money, so it will never happen, after all as you said, other games aren't doing that either.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > What would be wrong with picking up a RACE from lv 60 and getting trough very personal starting zone on any profession?

> >

> > Thtat was just an example how devs went on other game, just an idea, that could work for anything.

>

> Well I'm quite sure if they ever add a new race, it will "skip" all previous content and start from the most current expansion. Maybe they'll need a low level starting zone to get to 80, but that can also be ignored by having the new race characters only available at level 80, further, if they make them level-80 only, they won't have to design the new map for low levels, instead make the new map level 80 as well. Make the new race available only to players that finished the current expansion story, so you can't make a character with the new race if you haven't beaten the expansion at least once. Give a character slot and a level-80 booster with the expansion that provides the race and we are all set for a very good sale. Make this race a Tengu because they have a starting city, culture, lore, animations similar to charr, and they can work wonderfully in GW2.

>

> I'm positive that creating the entire personal story, the living world, and two expansions worth of voice acting for a new race will be a royal waste of resources and money, so it will never happen, after all as you said, other games aren't doing that either.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > What would be wrong with picking up a RACE from lv 60 and getting trough very personal starting zone on any profession?

> >

> > Thtat was just an example how devs went on other game, just an idea, that could work for anything.

>

> Well I'm quite sure if they ever add a new race, it will "skip" all previous content and start from the most current expansion. Maybe they'll need a low level starting zone to get to 80, but that can also be ignored by having the new race characters only available at level 80, further, if they make them level-80 only, they won't have to design the new map for low levels, instead make the new map level 80 as well. Make the new race available only to players that finished the current expansion story, so you can't make a character with the new race if you haven't beaten the expansion at least once. Give a character slot and a level-80 booster with the expansion that provides the race and we are all set for a very good sale. Make this race a Tengu because they have a starting city, culture, lore, animations similar to charr, and they can work wonderfully in GW2.

>

> I'm positive that creating the entire personal story, the living world, and two expansions worth of voice acting for a new race will be a royal waste of resources and money, so it will never happen, after all as you said, other games aren't doing that either.

I might even say go so far as to introduce new characters as the side-kicks, tailoring such an expansion to a "new" main protagonist making even more sense. You could still have your old characters participate and star in the content but it would feel just as organic as creating a new character and exploring a new side of the plot.

I mean, I think I've read enough "[insert important character] should die" threads/posts to believe it wouldn't be wholly hated to push a few more characters into the background.

> @"Lonami.2987" said:

> The interest is real, that's undeniable.

People are also interested in open world dueling, eliminating raids, adding new raids, getting more loot, getting less loot. There's interest in all sorts of things.

> They can skip everything perfectly. Make the commander storyline be over, and let us go freelance.

Or they can skip adding a new race and avoid the issue, too. ANet has said repeatedly that they are not interested in the idea of adding a new race and having it be anything less than the existing ones. (not necessarily 'equal', but not a less race either)

> We don't even need new capital cities, cultural armor, or anything like that.

You don't, perhaps. I would. Half the fun for me with a new race are all the little things.

Even in your simplistic scenario (with which ANet doesn't agree), we'd still need all other armor sets updated.

> In fact, look no further than GW1, where newer professions had nothing for them in the older expansions.

They had a new story in the new expansion, that older professions didn't join in.

That's not "less" work.

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> I love how everyone says this is impossible. It isn't; it would just require some creativity.

Hardly anyone is saying it's "impossible." The point is that it's a lot more work (including the creativity) than some people are assuming in their remarks. The question isn't "can ANet do it" but "should they," given all the other suggestions that we would like them to implement, all the plans they already have for the game, and the fact that they don't have infinite resources.

I looked on this thread but didn’t see the quote asking about the likelihood of new races, so here it is

>[GW2 Meet and Greet](

)

>I asked whether they have even considered adding a new race for PoF. Mike said that no and then added that new races in GW2 are "not impossible but very unlikely" to appear in the future. Implementing them would require a lot of resources that can be spent better on creating new content relevant for all players.

In other words, it would be a resource hog and those resources would be better put to use on new content that all players can access, not just the ones that would create a new race.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> > I love how everyone says this is impossible. It isn't; it would just require some creativity.

>

> Hardly anyone is saying it's "impossible." The point is that it's a lot more work (including the creativity) than some people are assuming in their remarks. The question isn't "can ANet do it" but "should they," given all the other suggestions that we would like them to implement, all the plans they already have for the game, and the fact that they don't have infinite resources.

So you're trying to pit other suggestions against this one.

Why? If Anet wants to implement those ideas, they can/will. If Anet wants to put in work to make other races playable, they can/will. It's not a matter of this vs that or finite resources but merely time and choice. To put it plainly, suggestions on the forums don't have to be ideologically or objectively exclusive and in the case of this suggestion, are not exclusive to the talking points you made.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> Never say never. Look at what happenwd with mounts. Enough said.

ANet never said never on mounts. They didn’t even say very unlikely for mounts. What they said was ‘not at launch but maybe later.’ It was some of the players who said that mounts were unnecessary because of waypoints and because they were basing their opinion on mounts in other games, which are closer to riding chairs with a movement speed than the mounts that ANet created.

Also, races _done right_ (not the lesser options, discount version suggested by some people that would be sure to displease all who want the real deal) would require a lot of resources (armor, voice acting, story, cities, home map, etc...) that mounts do not, as well as mounts being far easier to monetize and recoup the costs.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> So you're trying to pit other suggestions against this one.

No. I'm pointing out that it's not free nor cheap nor cost effective to implement new races, which is what some people claimed in this thread among others. I'm pointing out that to implement this one means that ANet won't be doing something else.

>

> If Anet wants to put in work to make other races playable, they can/will.

Indeed.

But they have stated explicitly that, for now at least, they do not want to.

> It's not a matter of this vs that or finite resources but merely time and choice.

Why do you think that "time" is different from "finite resources" or "choice" different from "this vs that"? It's **always** a matter of this vs that, it's always a matter of finite resources. Game studios can only do so many things; they have to choose.

> To put it plainly, suggestions on the forums don't have to be ideologically or objectively exclusive

And I haven't ever implied otherwise. I would love to see new races; I think (done well) they are a big part of what makes games fun for me, as well as many, many others. But I understand that it takes time, creativity, and resources, all of which are also needed for conceiving, designing, implementing, and testing other features & content.

If people want to talk about what next race they'd like to see, great. If people want to talk about how a new race might be implemented, good. But when people claim that this is easy or cheap, I'll post again to point out that this isn't easy or cheap. When people claim that a new race can be watered down to just a new skin, I'll point out that lots of people expect a new race to include the things that make new races different from the existing ones. And most of all, I'll remind people that ANet doesn't often comment about long range plans, but in the case of new races, they have: they aren't planning to add any.

> @"Rikimaru.7890" said:

> Ok let's assume we get a new race like Tengu, so how are we going to introduce them to the story now?

* Create racial city and 1-15 zone.

* Create Chapter 1-3 of PS

* Do VA for rest of PS, S2, HoT, S3, and S4

That's how. It wouldn't be a case of "this character enters the stage after all these events take place."

It'd be introduced no differently than revenant. More work, yes, by quite a bit, but not all that fundamentally different, and it'd work better than revenant since there'd be no "what strange magic is this that you're using and our pal here used from the beginning but we never bring it up".

They just need to create the lvl 1-30 story that is unique for each class and make ONE single link to the main story after that ... not that hard in term of developpement compared to what you are all saying !!

the hardest part is the animation - texture adaptation of armors - voice acting ! these are huge since the story could fit into 5 books already !