Do Heart of Thorns adventures need an update?

Lonami.2987

> @"Savanna Wind.4805" said:

> I truly wish they fix the time on all these mini games or take the item you need for a collection out of them then I can just ignore these incredibly annoying and in my opinion stupid things. I like the PoF ones , they may take time and effort but are doable . the HoT ones are not doable due to lack of time , lags in the game and other such things, but I am forced to do them because I want the item I need for the collection and I consider it to be highly unfair of them. Sent in at least 6 complaints and all they say is go to the forums, well here I am now lets see if they will now just ignore me like they have been doing since HoT came out. Give us more time to actually do it 2 and a half minutes is not enough for those games, and if your not gonna give us more time then let me get the items for the collections in an other way.

I had forgotten some of the Legendary item collections do require some of these "mini-games" without an alternative method of obtaining said item. In my opinion, this really needs to be looked at again. I already have Bifrost and Kudzu legendary weapons and decided to see about obtaining the Legendary Axe: The Device. I also contemplated finishing up my collection for Nevermore, the Raven Staff for my necro. But realized that The Device requires the Fallen Masks adventure, which I've never been able to complete even on bronze.....due to the time issue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any game content that 80% of the game population avoids doing or returning to.

Should be at the top of Anets fix it now list. I've spent months worth of time grinding

out just silver achieve's in all the HoT adventures. Never managed a Gold due to bad wrist

pain and the #$%#**%# timers that didn't need to be there at all.

> @"Darktiger.2435" said:

> Any game content that 80% of the game population avoids doing or returning to.

> Should be at the top of Anets fix it now list. I've spent months worth of time grinding

> out just silver achieve's in all the HoT adventures. Never managed a Gold due to bad wrist

> pain and the #$%#**%# timers that didn't need to be there at all.

Not sure I agree that content that 80% of the intended audience dislikes should receive additional dev resources.

> @"lynspottery.6529" said:

> > @"Savanna Wind.4805" said:

> > I truly wish they fix the time on all these mini games or take the item you need for a collection out of them then I can just ignore these incredibly annoying and in my opinion stupid things. I like the PoF ones , they may take time and effort but are doable . the HoT ones are not doable due to lack of time , lags in the game and other such things, but I am forced to do them because I want the item I need for the collection and I consider it to be highly unfair of them. Sent in at least 6 complaints and all they say is go to the forums, well here I am now lets see if they will now just ignore me like they have been doing since HoT came out. Give us more time to actually do it 2 and a half minutes is not enough for those games, and if your not gonna give us more time then let me get the items for the collections in an other way.

>

> I had forgotten some of the Legendary item collections do require some of these "mini-games" without an alternative method of obtaining said item. In my opinion, this really needs to be looked at again. I already have Bifrost and Kudzu legendary weapons and decided to see about obtaining the Legendary Axe: The Device. I also contemplated finishing up my collection for Nevermore, the Raven Staff for my necro. But realized that The Device requires the Fallen Masks adventure, which I've never been able to complete even on bronze.....due to the time issue.

Getting bronze is easy for Fallen Masks.

All you need is the one bouncing mushroom and a bit of gliding.

![](https://i.imgur.com/Ly9d5mR.jpg "")

Face east before you start then run forward to grab the first mask that is on the ground then just use the mushroom indicated in the picture which bounces you high enough to get to any of the masks. Glide over to the mask then run back to that mushroom for the next mask and just repeat.

The HoT adventures were so unfun that I have not attempted any of the PoF adventures.

I hated that you couldn't do them when it was convenient for you (the map meta had to be at a certain stage).

I hated that for several of them, randomness was a core function.

I hated that for many, the controls were changed (either new skill bar, clunky movement-based nonsense, or that active cam thing).

I hated that for some, the bar for completion was set at an absurdly high level.

I managed silver/gold for the ones I bothered to work at (for the skins or the MPs), but I don't ever return to them and would prefer that the existing content around them be deleted from the game before any more resources are sunk into the abysmal failure that they represent.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"lynspottery.6529" said:

> > > @"Savanna Wind.4805" said:

> > > I truly wish they fix the time on all these mini games or take the item you need for a collection out of them then I can just ignore these incredibly annoying and in my opinion stupid things. I like the PoF ones , they may take time and effort but are doable . the HoT ones are not doable due to lack of time , lags in the game and other such things, but I am forced to do them because I want the item I need for the collection and I consider it to be highly unfair of them. Sent in at least 6 complaints and all they say is go to the forums, well here I am now lets see if they will now just ignore me like they have been doing since HoT came out. Give us more time to actually do it 2 and a half minutes is not enough for those games, and if your not gonna give us more time then let me get the items for the collections in an other way.

> >

> > I had forgotten some of the Legendary item collections do require some of these "mini-games" without an alternative method of obtaining said item. In my opinion, this really needs to be looked at again. I already have Bifrost and Kudzu legendary weapons and decided to see about obtaining the Legendary Axe: The Device. I also contemplated finishing up my collection for Nevermore, the Raven Staff for my necro. But realized that The Device requires the Fallen Masks adventure, which I've never been able to complete even on bronze.....due to the time issue.

>

> Getting bronze is easy for Fallen Masks.

>

> All you need is the one bouncing mushroom and a bit of gliding.

>

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/Ly9d5mR.jpg "")

> Face east before you start then run forward to grab the first mask that is on the ground then just use the mushroom indicated in the picture which bounces you high enough to get to any of the masks. Glide over to the mask then run back to that mushroom for the next mask and just repeat.

Ok, I'll try that out next time. So far the best I've gotten is 8 count, on the last 3 runs I've tried. So you recommend just using that one bouncing mushroom to reach all of the masks up high then. Appreciate the tip.

• 2 weeks later...

Changes incoming, [developer reply on reddit](

):

> I will be adding additional time to a number of adventure timers for an upcoming release:

>

> * Fallen Masks: 30 seconds

> * Shooting Gallery: 30 seconds

> * Scrap Rifle Field Test: 30 seconds

> * Haywire Punch-o-Matic Battle: 25 seconds

It could be more, but it's a very, very good start. It addresses the worst adventures, at least by the analysis above. Shows these kind of discussions are worth the effort, even if haters and defeatists keep telling us it's a waste of time.

Good job everyone!

> @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> Hey Lonami,

>

> Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

>

> I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

>

> b.

I play with 400 ping and i had lost all hope to get gold on those adventures.

Thank you, my hope has been restored :)

I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

> Hey Lonami,

>

> Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

>

>

> b.

I am very disappointed to hear this.

What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

>

> > @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> > Hey Lonami,

> >

> > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> >

> > I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

> >

> > b.

>

> I am very disappointed to hear this.

> What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

> I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

>

> > Hey Lonami,

> >

> > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> >

> >

> > b.

>

> What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

I think it's fine to make these particular adventures easier because they are tied to masteries and having better access to those benefits everyone. I think you're looking at it as you typically do with anything AP related: a way for less invested people to catch up to you.

The good thing with newer (PoF and beyond) adventures is they have nothing to do with masteries I think, so they can have any difficulty and most people won't complain.

If they are going to ease the timers again, maybe they could give us a mastery free additional tier as well, and maybe they could give it a daily reward which isn't laughable (current gold rewards don't even compete with soloing champion hero points most of the time).

And talking about adventures ... Is there any reset plan for the current PoF adventure scores? I mean, I guess it's a minor issue, but after griffon changes we basically have old GDR records all over the place.

Adventures were and are a great idea. However, I feel that HoT's adventures were simply given too low rewards and too high difficulty. Meanwhile, PoF's adventures are all the same thing - just run to points A through E and back to Start. While the difficulty was lowered with PoF, the variety was dumbed to extreme measures too. The best part of PoF's adventures would be the mastery point rewards - I feel it was needless to put one behind both silver and gold, just behind one would be fine.

A variety of difficulty is a good thing, so I think HoT's occasional high difficulty is okay (though Fallen Masks being complete RNG in its difficulty in a too literal sense is a problem), but the rewards are certainly not befitting.

Accessibility to the adventures is another issue - a lot of adventures are in out of the way locations.

But overall, I hope ArenaNet doesn't do away with the non-race adventures, and perhaps even includes them retroactively to core and S3 maps.

> @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

> >

> > > @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> > > Hey Lonami,

> > >

> > > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> > >

> > > I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

> > >

> > > b.

> >

> > I am very disappointed to hear this.

> > What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> > Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

>

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

> >

> > > @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> > > Hey Lonami,

> > >

> > > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> > >

> > > I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

> > >

> > > b.

> >

> > I am very disappointed to hear this.

> > What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> > Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

>

> I think it's fine to make these particular adventures easier because they are tied to masteries and having better access to those benefits everyone. I think you're looking at it as you typically do with anything AP related: a way for less invested people to catch up to you.

>

> The good thing with newer (PoF and beyond) adventures is they have nothing to do with masteries I think, so they can have any difficulty and most people won't complain.

Mastery points are a non issue. They are so easy to get, especially HoT ones, that I wonder why they even added a mastery system at all. I do not see how even easier access to mastery points benefits everyone. And catching up should happen by introducing new achievements, possibly by adding more than anyone can complete instead of making old ones (these are not even that hard, but yet some of the few ones that actually need a bit of practice or skill) obsolete.

> > @"Lunateric.3708" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

> > >

> > > > @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> > > > Hey Lonami,

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> > > >

> > > > I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

> > > >

> > > > b.

> > >

> > > I am very disappointed to hear this.

> > > What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> > > Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

> >

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > I dont think they need any changes. Getting the gold tier should be very challenging and take a few hours of practice.

> > >

> > > > @"Byron Miller.4629" said:

> > > > Hey Lonami,

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for the post and the data. I'm aiming to make some changes to smooth out some of the frustration points in Adventures, and this is a good glimpse into some places that might need some work.

> > > >

> > > > I'll update this thread with updates as they become available.

> > > >

> > > > b.

> > >

> > > I am very disappointed to hear this.

> > > What is the point in having 3 tiers if even gold is usually done on first try (was the case for me on PoF adventures)

> > > Just make one achievement called "beat the adventure" if you want everything to be faceroll easy

> >

> > I think it's fine to make these particular adventures easier because they are tied to masteries and having better access to those benefits everyone. I think you're looking at it as you typically do with anything AP related: a way for less invested people to catch up to you.

> >

> > The good thing with newer (PoF and beyond) adventures is they have nothing to do with masteries I think, so they can have any difficulty and most people won't complain.

> Mastery points are a non issue.

For you, perhaps. They are also no issue for me being capped already and having 30 points or so leftover. For newer people they are definitely not a non-issue and that may be something inherent to the mastery system but this particular measure helps with that.

Adventures are not suppose to be hardcore content like raids and fractal.

Doing some of them with 400 ping is completely impossible atm.

I have over 1000Li and do 100cm with 1 eye shut, but I cant do Shooting Gallery gold coz takes 0.5sec longer for the skill to activate or I cant do Fallen Masks gold coz takes 0.5sec longer for the bouncing mushroom to work...

So are adventures suppose to be harder than raids and fractals?

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> You should have included a fourth option....I don't care about Adventures and never play them.

That was the option I was looking for. I only did them to get mastery points, and if a collection for a legendary weapon required it. There are "adventures" I've never even started. Yesterday I did the drone race with my second account because I can use the mastery points and it was daily. I got my points and will never visit it again.

>

> > Hey Lonami,

> >

> >

> >

> > b.

>

He didn't say he'll make the changes OP asks for. Maybe he makes the adventures that you can get gold in with the first attempt harder, so they are more in line with the others ^^

> Hey Lonami,

>

>

>

> b.

Thank you for paying attention to this. I really like adventures, and it was very depressing to see them getting so much hate for the wrong reasons (availability, masteries, etc). Seems you guys haven't still given up on them (PoF adventures and Lunar Festival adventure), so the sooner HoT adventures get redeemed, the better for future new adventures.

As I already said, PoF adventures feel really better because they have much more time. Are they easier? Yes, but they're more enjoyable as well, and something you could get to replay now and then without feeling you're wasting your time. And if you want to compete, there's a lot of room beyond gold. That's why I would go even further and add 1-2 min to each HoT adventure, but I'm really happy with the changes so far anyway, and they might be enough to fix most of the completion problems.

Adventures have a lot of potential for secondary activities, specially for guilds, so I hope you keep giving them some love :smile:.

>

> > Hey Lonami,

> >

> >

> >

> > b.

>

My ideal scenario would be something like this:

* **Bronze:** Complete it, no time limit required.

* **Silver:** Somewhat decent score, with a good time, once you learn the adventure.

* **Gold:** Good score, with an even better time. Should take practice, but be doable without crazy effort.

* **Competition:** Scores above gold, now here's where the crazy numbers should come.

Right now, it's impossible to compete in many adventures, because there's no margin for improvement after gold. People who want some fun competition can't have any, and those who don't care about adventures too much get to hate them because gold is too hard.

PoF adventures are a vastly superior experience compared to HoT adventures because of this. You can complete them without watching guides, try different paths without being punished, and still get silver/gold easily. HoT adventures force you to look guides, and that kinda ruins the fun. Sometimes the guide is the only path that works, which makes it even worse, since you're wasting your time if you don't follow the guide.

So yeah, these changes are all for the better. Adventure lovers have more space, and adventure haters won't be struggling so much, and maybe get to love adventures some day.

> @"Vargamonth.2047" said:

> If they are going to ease the timers again, maybe they could give us a mastery free additional tier as well, and maybe they could give it a daily reward which isn't laughable (current gold rewards don't even compete with soloing champion hero points most of the time).

> And talking about adventures ... Is there any reset plan for the current PoF adventure scores? I mean, I guess it's a minor issue, but after griffon changes we basically have old GDR records all over the place.

Ideally, every week the top 100 should get some bonus reward, and then the scores should reset.

But that's talking big, and would require work. Let's focus on easy fixes for now, like timer adjustments, and once adventures start to get redeemed, then we can talk about better rewards.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> Adventures were and are a great idea. However, I feel that HoT's adventures were simply given too low rewards and too high difficulty. Meanwhile, PoF's adventures are all the same thing - just run to points A through E and back to Start. While the difficulty was lowered with PoF, the variety was dumbed to extreme measures too. The best part of PoF's adventures would be the mastery point rewards - I feel it was needless to put one behind both silver and gold, just behind one would be fine.

>

> A variety of difficulty is a good thing, so I think HoT's occasional high difficulty is okay (though Fallen Masks being complete RNG in its difficulty in a too literal sense is a problem), but the rewards are certainly not befitting.

>

> Accessibility to the adventures is another issue - a lot of adventures are in out of the way locations.

>

> But overall, I hope ArenaNet doesn't do away with the non-race adventures, and perhaps even includes them retroactively to core and S3 maps.

Guild Rushes could be transformed into racing adventures somewhat easily. Then add adventures to the guild missions rotation, and you have a lot of new content with barely any development effort. A really good solution for two game modes that are struggling now.