Gratz Anet! You made it to top 10 in 2017!

Swagger.1459

http://massivelyop.com/2018/01/30/guild-wars-2-makes-superdatas-top-10-list-of-premium-pc-games-by-revenue-for-2017/

I knew you all could do it! Great job team!

Just wondering... think the team could use some of that phat loot and revamp profession, revamp wvw, upgrade the game engine, make hero-tron weapon skins, make dye channels for legendary weapons and back pieces, fix mounts so some of us don't get sick and make PLAYABLE DWARVES?

> @"Swagger.1459" said:

> http://massivelyop.com/2018/01/30/guild-wars-2-makes-superdatas-top-10-list-of-premium-pc-games-by-revenue-for-2017/

>

> I knew you all could do it! Great job team!

>

> Just wondering... think the team could use some of that phat loot and revamp profession, revamp wvw, upgrade the game engine, make hero-tron weapon skins, make dye channels for legendary weapons and back pieces, fix mounts so some of us don't get sick and make PLAYABLE DWARVES?

>

>

I don’t know that the game engine needs updating. Maybe in efficiency in some areas but the graphics are still beautiful. And I don’t want to have to lower my settings or buy a new comp. :p

Keep in mind that the word was revenue, not profit.

I have noticed that the Gem Store is not doing nearly enough sales on storage space. The only storage sales I've noticed in the past 5 months were one sale on bank space and one sale on shared inventory slots. Sales on storage space of all sorts should be happening every two to three weeks. You want to make a huge amount of revenue quick? Put a 32-slot bag up in the Gem Store for 3200 gems.

> @"nedlee.5943" said:

> GW2 made around 40M in Q1, Q2 and Q3 combined in 2017, so I find those numbers very unlikely. We'll gonna see when we have the official Q4 sales number from NC.

> @"evilsofa.7296" said:

> Keep in mind that the word was revenue, not profit.

According to the NCSOFT, _revenue_ for Q1-3 combined was $40M. For Q4 to be $47M would require ANet to have one of it's biggest quarters ever, which seems unlikely. Even $20M for Q4 would be surprising.

The source _Massively_ used is thought to be generally reliable, but since I don't have access to their data (it's gated behind a pay wall, which is perhaps a bit ironic under the circumstances), it's difficult to draw conclusions. Could be a mistake, could be that _Massively_ misunderstood some context or nuance, or could be that the source is measuring something different from what NCSOFT posted in its shareholder reports. I don't think it's likely to be a problem with converting Korean Won to US Dollars; the difference is too big.

But even $60M still keeps GW2 in the top 10 for "premium" games (apparently meaning "buy to play" without subscription).

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The source _Massively_ used is thought to be generally reliable, but since I don't have access to their data (it's gated behind a pay wall, which is perhaps a bit ironic under the circumstances), it's difficult to draw conclusions. Could be a mistake, could be that _Massively_ misunderstood some context or nuance, or could be that the source is measuring something different from what NCSOFT posted in its shareholder reports. I don't think it's likely to be a problem with converting Korean Won to US Dollars; the difference is too big.

Personally I am not really trusting those data. For an example it shows Divintiy Original Sin 2 right below Guild Wars 2 at $85M sales. According to Larian, the developer, they sold half a million units during the initial week and overall sold 1 million copies by the end of November 2017. The standard edition is $45. The game has no DLC or microtransactions (sans collectors edition, which only few people would have bought) so I find it very hard to believe that D:OS2 actually reached that number.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the numbers are accurate, but that the original source is measuring differently from how _Massively_ is reporting it. (It wouldn't be the first time the good folks at the fanzine misunderstood some critical nuance.) Again, without seeing the original report, it's hard to know why the numbers seem out of whack.

The reason I'm willing to believe that it's a reporting problem: if a couple of GW2 fans on Reddit/forums can do this back-of-envelope math in 2 minutes of Google, why didn't the good folks at Massively do the same? It's an obvious sanity check on the data that they could have cleared up with a quick phone call or email.

I would love to see this to be true. This would mean that their new approach to gemstore is working, especially that mounts (which devs said are expensive to create) are paying for themselves.

This also should close all discussions about new rng scam boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> "gaem ded"

>

> Its nice to see GW2 on the list but when you look at certain games making *billions* you just have to double facepalm and think "what have we become?"...

Yeah, if you aren't making billions why are you even in business, right? Making tens of millions of dollars is chump change! No room in the market for games like that!

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> This also should close all discussions about new rng scam boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

It wouldn't show that, since they are part of the current revenue stream. Even if the data is accurate (and there's reason to believe it isn't or that it's out of context), we don't know (from this source) how much of the money comes from Mountfits, how much from BL Keys, how much from other gem shop items, how much from sales of the game, how much from transfers, etc.

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > This also should close all discussions about new rng scam boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

> It wouldn't show that, since they are part of the current revenue stream. Even if the data is accurate (and there's reason to believe it isn't or that it's out of context), we don't know (from this source) how much of the money comes from Mountfits, how much from BL Keys, how much from other gem shop items, how much from sales of the game, how much from transfers, etc.

>

You are correct, we don't know this, but that's not what I'm talking about in the quoted part. I mean that when Anet introduces new RNG scam box like mount licenses, noone can say game isn't making enough profit already or that we **need** such practices to feed anet.

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > See also the earlier post:

> > https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26402/were-doing-just-great-thanks

>

> So you're saying they made the Top 2 posts about GW2 making the Top 10? :#

I'm saying there was already an earlier thread with an identical topic (although different title).

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > This also should close all discussions about new rng ...boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

> > It wouldn't show that, since they are part of the current revenue stream. Even if the data is accurate (and there's reason to believe it isn't or that it's out of context), we don't know (from this source) how much of the money comes from Mountfits, how much from BL Keys, how much from other gem shop items, how much from sales of the game, how much from transfers, etc.

> >

>

> You are correct, we don't know this, but that's not what I'm talking about in the quoted part. I mean that when Anet introduces new RNG ... box like mount licenses, noone can say game isn't making enough profit already or that we **need** such practices to feed anet.

No, we can't say that because we don't know how much profit ANet makes with RNG items in the gem shop. And we can't say if the other methods are sustainable enough to continue making the same amount of money. What if 1% of the revenue came from the 2k Mountfits and 5% came from selling BL keys since Statuettes were introduced? Having data on total revenues tells us nothing about the source; we can draw no conclusions other than, "dang, that's a lot of money."

> @"evilsofa.7296" said:

> Keep in mind that the word was revenue, not profit.

>

> I have noticed that the Gem Store is not doing nearly enough sales on storage space. The only storage sales I've noticed in the past 5 months were one sale on bank space and one sale on shared inventory slots. Sales on storage space of all sorts should be happening every two to three weeks. You want to make a huge amount of revenue quick? Put a 32-slot bag up in the Gem Store for 3200 gems.

You would actually pay that much? There can't be too many people who would. That's like $40.oo for an in-game bag.

> It wouldn't surprise me at all to find that the numbers are accurate, but that the original source is measuring differently from how _Massively_ is reporting it. (It wouldn't be the first time the good folks at the fanzine misunderstood some critical nuance.) Again, without seeing the original report, it's hard to know why the numbers seem out of whack.

Isn't this the original report?

https://superdata-research.myshopify.com/products/year-in-review

Or you are talking about the original raw data they used?

As far as I know the report is not done by Massively but by Superdata.

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > This also should close all discussions about new rng ...boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

> > > It wouldn't show that, since they are part of the current revenue stream. Even if the data is accurate (and there's reason to believe it isn't or that it's out of context), we don't know (from this source) how much of the money comes from Mountfits, how much from BL Keys, how much from other gem shop items, how much from sales of the game, how much from transfers, etc.

> > >

> >

> > You are correct, we don't know this, but that's not what I'm talking about in the quoted part. I mean that when Anet introduces new RNG ... box like mount licenses, noone can say game isn't making enough profit already or that we **need** such practices to feed anet.

>

> No, we can't say that because we don't know how much profit ANet makes with RNG items in the gem shop. And we can't say if the other methods are sustainable enough to continue making the same amount of money. What if 1% of the revenue came from the 2k Mountfits and 5% came from selling BL keys since Statuettes were introduced? Having data on total revenues tells us nothing about the source; we can draw no conclusions other than, "dang, that's a lot of money."

>

>

We can say that what they generate now is enough if those numbers are close to being correct. So again, what I said is people can no longer justify **new** rng scams saying that anet is starving.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > This also should close all discussions about new rng ...boxes - game doesn't need them as it's making enough money already.

> > > > It wouldn't show that, since they are part of the current revenue stream. Even if the data is accurate (and there's reason to believe it isn't or that it's out of context), we don't know (from this source) how much of the money comes from Mountfits, how much from BL Keys, how much from other gem shop items, how much from sales of the game, how much from transfers, etc.

> > > >

> > >

> > > You are correct, we don't know this, but that's not what I'm talking about in the quoted part. I mean that when Anet introduces new RNG ... box like mount licenses, noone can say game isn't making enough profit already or that we **need** such practices to feed anet.

> >

> > No, we can't say that because we don't know how much profit ANet makes with RNG items in the gem shop. And we can't say if the other methods are sustainable enough to continue making the same amount of money. What if 1% of the revenue came from the 2k Mountfits and 5% came from selling BL keys since Statuettes were introduced? Having data on total revenues tells us nothing about the source; we can draw no conclusions other than, "dang, that's a lot of money."

> >

> >

>

> We can say that what they generate now is enough if those numbers are close to being correct. So again, what I said is people can no longer justify **new** rng scams saying that anet is starving.

We cannot say that the items generating the current, or recent past, levels of income will continue to do so.