• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

> > >

> > > Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

> > >

> > > Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

> >

> > How does that solve the problem that you have to finish your character creation within a specific, short amount of time? I have actually started making screenshots for every step in character creation out of fear that I'll have to start over. Just when you were happy after fiddling around with the sliders, boom, every setting is reset. The game should at least save the last settings you made.

>

> Must be a connection issue. I've never been kicked from character creation and sometimes I've taken over an hour. And you weren't talking about the first 9 steps, you were just talking about taking an hour to find a name. My previous post did offer a solution for that: first reserve a name, then create the character.

I've never had that problem either and I've started, gone for lunch, then come back and it's still up and running: while creating a character you're not actually in game (you're basically still at the character select stage) so you aren't going to be kicked.

The only time I have been fully "kicked out" of the game is when the client loses connection to the login servers.

Never had a problem myself, Named a character "Alice", already existed, so I changed it to "Field Marshal Alice" and it was fine.

Also I use names like "Angry Goblin Kobold"

> @"Rhiannon.1726" said:

> It's even possible to find a suitable name for an Asura that isn't taken. I recently made one called Rhiqqa.

"Angry Goblin Kobold" ;) You could do something like this, maybe change Angry to Crazy

> @"Rhiannon.1726" said:

> It's even possible to find a suitable name for an Asura that isn't taken. I recently made one called Rhiqqa.

Prajix says hi. ^^

I always thought Noxious Pod would be a good sylvari name. But when I made my last keyfarmer, it was taken. So was Obnoxious Pod. He ended up being called Doc Burdock.

Your best hope for a simple name is to get away from the obvious.

I normally do it the other way around: I'll have chosen a name, and have a few ideas on alternatives or ways to modify it if the original is taken, before I even touch the character creator. But then I probably spend longer than any sane person would making my permanent characters. I usually spend several days, or even a couple of weeks, thinking about what I want to do - their race, gender, profession, what they look like, their backstory (both the biography choices and the extra details I make up), and of course their name. Some of that I'll know right away - for example my latest was because I wanted a 2nd elementalist, and he's a human male because I hadn't done that combination yet - but then I had to fit everything else in around that.

Fortunately those names are rarely taken (it helps that I like giving my characters 2nd names), but if they are I've always got a few options in mind. I don't think I've ever had a permanent character where I couldn't get the name I wanted at all. More often when I've checked I find that several of the variations I've picked are available.

> @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

>

> Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

>

> Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

You can even skip (right bottom corner) that creation section and getting redirected right to the name selection.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> Players need to think of something more complex than Danerys of Gondor Targaryen McDonalds

I'm going to guarantee the op tried at least one of those names.

I've literally never had a problem with making up a name, its more the process of what name fits the character that is stumping

> @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> I'm going to guarantee the op tried at least one of those names.

> I've literally never had a problem with making up a name, its more the process of what name fits the character that is stumping

EXACTLY! I'm sitting on 3 level 80 boosts across 2 accounts because I haven't come up with names I like.

> @"Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946" said:

> > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > I'm going to guarantee the op tried at least one of those names.

> > I've literally never had a problem with making up a name, its more the process of what name fits the character that is stumping

>

> EXACTLY! I'm sitting on 3 level 80 boosts across 2 accounts because I haven't come up with names I like.

Freeing up names (by taking them from not-recently active accounts) won't solve that problem. Each time a name is freed, only one other person can grab it and there's no reason to expect that the OP will be that one person.

A nearly 6 year old game with over 3 million players is going to result in a few of the more popular names being taken. But that's why we have two name fields and the ability to do spaces.

Has your hyper unique and totally unused character name _Xx Sephiroth xX_ been taken? That's a-ok! Because you can now be _IXx Sephiroth xXI_ !

Basically- just think of a last name and you'll be fine making a character.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > > > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

> > > >

> > > > Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

> > > >

> > > > Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

> > >

> > > How does that solve the problem that you have to finish your character creation within a specific, short amount of time? I have actually started making screenshots for every step in character creation out of fear that I'll have to start over. Just when you were happy after fiddling around with the sliders, boom, every setting is reset. The game should at least save the last settings you made.

> >

> > Must be a connection issue. I've never been kicked from character creation and sometimes I've taken over an hour. And you weren't talking about the first 9 steps, you were just talking about taking an hour to find a name. My previous post did offer a solution for that: first reserve a name, then create the character.

>

> I've never had that problem either and I've started, gone for lunch, then come back and it's still up and running: while creating a character you're not actually in game (you're basically still at the character select stage) so you aren't going to be kicked.

>

> The only time I have been fully "kicked out" of the game is when the client loses connection to the login servers.

It's quite possible that it was a temporary issue when I started playing the game. After it happened to me two or three times, I just made sure I get through this quickly, so I wouldn't know if it still happens.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> The character creator should not kick you out unless you're completely inactive for a long period of time (I'm not sure how long but it's more than 10 minutes). If you're pressing buttons, moving sliders or trying names it should not kick you at all - that sounds like connectivity issues. If you're trying to think of names to try and concerned you might get kicked out just click to go back to the previous screen and then forward again (or type a name you know is taken) so the game knows you're not inactive.

>

Even WvW takes 25 minutes to kick. That being said ... I am not sure if anything in character creation counts as activity. I know that in game chatting does NOT count.

I find it hard to believe that some of the names I've tried were taken. They're so specific to things I'm personally familiar with. Basically, you have to use two names - first and surname, if you want an easy time of it.

Meanwhile, when I first opened my account it took literally almost an hour to find a password that wasn't taken.

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> Tip: make a list of ten or twenty names **not related to LOTR or any other mainstream IP, or standard mythological names.** Then rush through character creation to get to the naming screen and see if any of them is available. Once you got one and the character is made, delete it and start over with character creation. You'll have some time (I've read 24 hours somewhere?) during which the name will remain reserved.

Best tip in bold!

Unbold part is good too. Also, use spaces.

> @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > @"Faaris.8013" said:

> > > Even more frustrating, when you eventually find a name after an hour, you will have to start your character creation from scratch because you have been logged off for being idle. It makes people hurry through character creation and maybe pick names they never wanted. Maybe they are selling more makeover kits that way, but you should never bee kicked from character creation, even if you left the computer for an hour.

> >

> > Easily solved. Click your way through character creation without doing anything, and get your name. Then delete the character and start over for real. The name will be reserved.

> >

> > Or pick an original name to begin with. The only time I ever ran into naming problems is when I tried to make a jokey name.

>

> How does that solve the problem that you have to finish your character creation within a specific, short amount of time? I have actually started making screenshots for every step in character creation out of fear that I'll have to start over. Just when you were happy after fiddling around with the sliders, boom, every setting is reset. The game should at least save the last settings you made.

Well mate, i've been doing very minute character creation since launch and i never got dcd for idling...

I think my first character took me 15 minutes just deciding the hairstyle... And still i created the character without issues.

Here's a naming style I've used in many games to come up with fantasy-sounding names that tend to be available:

Firstname (basically anything) Lastname (Color + Animal)

If you do encounter one that's already chosen, it's easy to just change either the first name, the color or the animal to get a different name that likely isn't taken.

> @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> Here's a naming style I've used in many games to come up with fantasy-sounding names that tend to be available:

> Firstname (basically anything) Lastname (Color + Animal)

>

> If you do encounter one that's already chosen, it's easy to just change either the first name, the color or the animal to get a different name that likely isn't taken.

>

I like it.

Hippy Chartreusegerbil.

All joking aside, something like this is a solid approach.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Kalendraf.9521" said:

> > Here's a naming style I've used in many games to come up with fantasy-sounding names that tend to be available:

> > Firstname (basically anything) Lastname (Color + Animal)

> >

> > If you do encounter one that's already chosen, it's easy to just change either the first name, the color or the animal to get a different name that likely isn't taken.

> >

>

> I like it.

>

> Hippy Chartreusegerbil.

>

> All joking aside, something like this is a solid approach.

Obviously, the results are going to depend heavily on what colors and animals you find suitable for the game world. Primary colors, black, white, grey, silver, gold (or golden) and predator-type animals usually tend to work the best.

I suspect that "Hippy Chartreusegerbil" would likely be available in most games, but now that you've gone and listed it, someone has probably gone and claimed it by now. ;)