Core Mastery Points are too few

muon.1630

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> it’s completely different trying to do some of the mastery requirements now compared to when the mastery component of the game was fresh.

It's different, not completely different. Some things are easier now, some things take more patience.

> Bosses die faster and no one is likely to hold off on a Zerg kill just so someone on a lagged out oceanic connection can jump ten waves before the boss is melted in the blink of an eye.

This applies to a single achievement and a single boss. In all other cases, world bosses dying more quickly makes getting achievements easier, not harder. Getting most achievements on Tequatl, for example, is just a matter of showing up these days. Whereas when I earned them, it took a lot of prep time.

> New players haven’t had years to accumulate these points with the whole player base doing it with them.

It's a mistake to assume that most people got their mastery points when they were first made available. Some people did that, but a lot of people took their time. In my case, I didn't even start working on HoT achievements (outside the minimum required for story) until over a year later, somewhat after LS3 started.

> And as to “earning” the “privilege” of mastery completion?? Please. Again, it’s old content. Every other mmorpg makes old content easier to acquire.

First, masteries aren't "content." They are an optional feature that allows players additional tools in playing the game.

Second, you're the only person using the word privilege.

Third, as noted, some masteries are easier, some are harder; it really depends.

> The issue isn’t wanting it all for free,

Again, no one is saying that. One claim is that there aren't enough mastery points and that's been refuted: there are plenty to spare. The second claim (which you make several times) is that they are too hard. And again, there are plenty of points that aren't hard.

> it’s that new or recently retuned players didn’t get the introduction to how masteries work, so many of us fill in the “cheap” ones first, then realise far too late that those apparently decorative boxes we ticked can lock us out of content (like legendary crafting) with no way to reassign the points if we choose the wrong thing.

No one got this imagined "introduction to how masteries work" because lots of players filled in the easy ones first. If I had a chance to redo HoT & Core, I'd have done them in a completely different order. Autoloot would have been my top priority, for example.

If anything, it's easier now because people have written out the pros and cons of mastering this track versus that, so newer players have the advantage of having the opportunity to learn from the mistakes of veterans.

> And argue all you like, the fact is that there are vastly more mastery points that are far more easily obtainable for the xpacks than vanilla.

The fact is that Core Tyria has a bigger excess by far than any of the expansions.

* Core Tyria: 82 points available; 49 needed to max. Excess: 67%

* HoT with LS3 (but not raids): 186 available; 136 needed to max. Excess: 37%

* HoT without LS3 or raids: 138; 120 needed to max. Excess: 15%

* PoF with LS4: 110 available; 81 needed to max. Excess: 36%

* PoF without LS4: 86 available; 64 needed to max. Excess: 34%

Are they easier? Well, again, that really depends. Some people absolutely hate adventures and cannot manage them. Some can't make their mounts do their bidding. Some have trouble with story missions. There are still incredibly long threads calling for a nerf to the chef's assistant mastery point in Amnoon. There are definitely some core points that are laborious, some that require a level of patience that I lack, and some that are actually difficult. But it's not reasonable to say that they are all harder.

> I’ve still got most of the achievements and a whole map plus season 3 to go and I’ve almost completed my Maguuma masteries. On one toon. I’m still struggling to get the 14 odd points I need for vanilla and I’ve spent hours and hours, completed stories on multiple raced toons, and spent hundreds of gold faffing around trying to get those last points because

If your goal is to get the last 14 even points, then I'm happy to go over with you your remaining and help you identify which are likely to be easier, and how to go about making it happen.

> I filled out the “cheapest” masteries first having no idea that the dumb point allocation was not only irreversible but could lock me out of certain content.

Again, hardly anyone realizes this until they make the mistake or go online looking for a guide. This isn't something that only confronts newer players.

> Perhaps stop calling people lazy and just accept the fact that it’s a huge oversight not including a way to reallocate points... even if it were to require a cash purchase or a sizeable gold investment. It just makes sense to include it.

It's an opinion, not a fact. I believe it's working as designed, that ANet considered and decided it did not make sense to allow re-allocation, even for a cost, because people would just swap out points whenever they wanted. The idea was to give us incentives to keep doing things, to progress our mastery forward, not back & forth.

And finally, perhaps re-read what people have written. The more thoughtful respondants aren't calling anyone lazy. Perhaps avoid calling people names because they disagree. Perhaps consider the possibility that there are more things in Tyria and the Mists than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aaand this is where I just accept the fact that contrary to popular belief, the GW2 forum is just like any other and remove myself before I get frustrated enough to get myself banned. OP you are spot on and I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone who is completely ignoring what people are saying, calling us whining and entitled while simultaneously admitting the content completed in the YEARS prior to mastery inclusion counted to your acquisition of mastery points... just go re-read what you’re saying. Or better yet, go make a new account, fill out your mastery points again, THEN come back and rejoin the conversation.

Either way, I’ve been solidly reminded why I avoid forums as much as I avoid fractals and PVP. Tah...

Actually I do have a second account thanks to kung fu tea...and then because of my frustration with(out)mounts and autoloot upgraded it.

It is FAR easier getting mastery points this time around. I know what to do. I'm not afraid of the community to ask hey can we kill chickens? In fact when I did I found another person in the group who needed them too!

Granted. I have not maxed them out yet but I will. Also I'd be willing to help others get them too. Feel free to message if on na.

Let's take a look.

There are 82 Mastery Unlocks available: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery_point_unlocks

Of these you need 49 https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery#Mastery_points to unlock everything

Pact Commander requires 19 mastery points.

19 super easy Mastery Points enough to fully unlock Pact Commander:

Master of Heroics, reach level 80 on one character

Personal Story Chapter x8, finish the personal story, there are 8 of these

Mastery Insights x9, spread on multiple maps

Lion's Arch Exterminator is a scavenger hunt in LA, use a guide and this is no problem

6 relatively easy ones

Koutalophile requires buying items for a tiny amount of karma or some silver. Only one item requires laurels and some gold to buy

Karka Queen Killer is probably the easiest of the boss mastery points. You will need to be fast because she dies very quickly

Slaughter in the Swamp, kill Tequatl the Sunless, easily doable nowadays, lots of players gather to kill it

Been There, Done That requires your first map completion, which you should do at least once anyway

Hidden Garden, not a hard jumping puzzle, but unique

Justice of the Blade, you can find veteran bounties to complete this one

Now you need 13 more to fully unlock Legendary Crafting, your options:

4 mastery points from killing legendary bosses in the Silverwastes. Just shout in map chat and players will come. Silverwastes is done every day.

14 easy fractal achievements that you can do at T1 while solo. Or make an LFG list to ask for specific achievements (like killing all mobs in Solid Ocean, or killing all chicken in Ascalon)

Those alone will give you enough Mastery Points to unlock Legendary Crafting. However, you can mix & max them with the following:

7 very easy Mastery Points from LS2, or 14 Mastery Points if you do all the achievements, some are hard though

Echoes of the Past requires completion of the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

Entanglement requires completion of the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

Point of No Return, from the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

Seeds of Truth, from the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

Tangled Paths, from the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

The Dragon's Reach pt1, from the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

The Dragon's Reach pt2, from the episode, plus an extra point if you do all achievements

3 Collections mastery points

Bioluminescence in Silverwastes, still doable

Ambrite Weapon Collection, better done with PVP/WVW reward tracks, it's an easy collection that way. Otherwise it requires a lot of grinding in Dry Top

Ascended Accoutrement, craft one of each Ascended armor skin

4 mastery points with some higher difficulty

Dive Master requires going around looking for diving goggles, there is one hard to reach in the aetherblade jumping puzzle, the rest of them are easy

Ruler of Shinies is a Dry Top mastery point. Requires Tier 4 Dry Top

The Emperor's New Wardrobe requires a lot of gold to buy the cultural armors, but is doable and shows progress

Dungeons Discovered need to complete all dungeon story modes

The others are probably of a higher difficulty.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> Aaand this is where I just accept the fact that contrary to popular belief, the GW2 forum is just like any other and remove myself before I get frustrated enough to get myself banned. OP you are spot on and I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone who is completely ignoring what people are saying, calling us whining and entitled while simultaneously admitting the content completed in the YEARS prior to mastery inclusion counted to your acquisition of mastery points... just go re-read what you’re saying. Or better yet, go make a new account, fill out your mastery points again, THEN come back and rejoin the conversation.

>

> Either way, I’ve been solidly reminded why I avoid forums as much as I avoid fractals and PVP. Tah...

Im not calling your intitled or whiny.

Your plain wrong that there is to few core mastery points.

I would happily replay the core story for the 8 mastery points and world compeltion if it was replayable on the same toon, since thats what we got for our years completion

Edit

Forgot about the 1 for being level 80 since I couldent down level myself to 79 to redo 1 level I guess that one was unavoidable too.

I repeat my offer: share with me (or us) what you've done so far (the easiest way to do so is via an API key, because GW2 Efficiency will make the list for you). And I will filter the unlocks that I think will enable you to max with the least amount of effort.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> Either way, I’ve been solidly reminded why I avoid forums as much as I avoid fractals and PVP. Tah...

I think it's unfortunate that you're so sure of your assumptions that you can't see anything valuable in anything that anyone else has written, unless it's in accord with your beliefs.

I don't question that you & the OP are frustrated. I'm not suggesting that you drink some kool-aid and pretend otherwise. I'm asking you to reconsider what's available for you to do. I'm asking to let others help you see that it might be achievable without you pulling out your hair.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> Everyone who is completely ignoring what people are saying,

In fact, people are pointing out that some of what you have written isn't accurate.

> calling us whining and entitled

Maybe I haven't looked hard enough, but I only see you discussing entitlement or whininess.

> while simultaneously admitting the content completed in the YEARS prior to mastery inclusion counted to your acquisition of mastery points...

Again, that's not what people are saying.

> just go re-read what you’re saying.

I wish you would do the same. You seem to have assumed that because people disagree with your conclusion that they must be wrong, without going back to reconsider your assumptions.

> Or better yet, go make a new account, fill out your mastery points again, THEN come back and rejoin the conversation.

Some of us have done so. Some of us have re-done the things needed to obtain mastery points, either in helping others or for collections or other reasons. Some of us have taken time to identify the various ways to get mastery points more easily. I'm not sure why that doesn't count, even in your philosophy that only people working on masteries can have an opinion about how difficult they are to obtain.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> > @"hellsqueen.3045" said:

> > > @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> > > Aaand this is where I just accept the fact that contrary to popular belief, the GW2 forum is just like any other and remove myself before I get frustrated enough to get myself banned. OP you are spot on and I agree wholeheartedly. Everyone who is completely ignoring what people are saying, calling us whining and entitled while simultaneously admitting the content completed in the YEARS prior to mastery inclusion counted to your acquisition of mastery points... just go re-read what you’re saying. Or better yet, go make a new account, fill out your mastery points again, THEN come back and rejoin the conversation.

> > >

> > > Either way, I’ve been solidly reminded why I avoid forums as much as I avoid fractals and PVP. Tah...

> >

> > You are mad because we played the game.

> > There are plenty of masteries that can be gathered fairly quickly, but not all of them should be able to be done quickly.

> > They are masteries, extra unique levels given for playing the game.

> > You should play the game like everyone else and earn them, just because we earned some of ours before the masteries came out, we still did them. We put that work in.

> > Not everything should be handed to you on a silver platter.

> > They already added extra masteries in the map to make it easier for newer people, but that isn't enough for you all.

>

> See... this is EXACTLY what I’m talking about. People assuming that we’re not “playing the game”and that we’re “not doing the content/running fractals”. I’ve been mashing my head against a brick wall for WEEKS because none of the groups TIER 1 OR OTHERWISE will slow down to do the achievements, and the world boss runs either die before I can do the achievement requirements due to zerging or simply fail before they start!

>

> I started triple trouble 3 times yesterday, asking in guild AND map chat and ended up with the pre events FAILING every time. The third time the groups merged two guilds in the finder and I didn’t get a spot before the world flagged “full” so I didn’t get to participate. My partner and I have been trying to complete the SM dungeons for months but there are 3 that we simply can’t get through on our own and no one EVER answers the finder or map calls.

>

> I have the spoons, the Silverwastes bosses, the Shinies ach, and the map/“extra” points. I’ve finished all of LWS1,2 and the vanilla storylines.

>

> So... where are all these magical spare points coming from? I’d dearly love to know because TRUST ME it’s NOT for lack of playing or trying. I’m even falling to my death 2 hours a week trying to get to the last effing set of diving goggles I need. I’d seriously rather be stuck in the clock tower, it’s easier by far, but I can’t get the jump right to get up to the last platform.

>

> Im so glad you have hours a day to spare perfecting your game and are lucky enough to play when everyone is awake and doing all of the things with you... but I work 6 days a week and I’m also studying full time. If the hours and hours I put into this game aren’t enough then I have no idea what you/the devs expect...

>

1. Find Guild Mates or People willing to do the achievements. One of my guild mates solo-ed T1 Fractals for us when we needed certain achievements.

2. Look for guilds that host Triple Trouble, like TTT and RnT, because those are huge events that need coordination of commanders.

3. I have done over 12k worth of achievements and I have worked hard for them, a lot of them likely collection based. I still have more achievements I can get masteries from.

I don't necessarily have hours to spend playing this game or W/E, but the game doesn't control when people host challenging content.

Sure, the game chooses how difficult some content should be, but why should they change content that has been around for ages for you?

People have no problem getting the stuff done, you are an exception because you are busy but that should not mean content should be changed to work around you.

Content revolves around the majority of players and what they can achieve. If you cannot make it work, then that is unfortunate.

It is an MMO, they have always been grindy. Just because this one is less than the usual, doesn't mean it should be changed to have everything handed to you. I am sorry your schedule doesn't allow you to do what everyone else does, but that's just the way it is.

I started playing 4 months ago (US server) and had no problems getting all core masteries. Here are some tips on how I did some of the ones you seem to be having trouble with.

1) For TT, the LFG tool is your best bet. I had no problems finding groups for TT 1 hour after daily reset or when it starts at xx:30 (about 12 hours after daily reset). Make sure to join the map instance 15 minutes before pre starts. There are online guides you can read and videos you can watch to help understand how to do all the achievements. I did TT a total of 5 or 6 times and got all the achievements associated with TT using some videos and Dulfy guide.

2) For the Not so Secret diving goggle, you can ask for a Mesmer's help to port you there. You can ask in map chat. I noticed that, sometimes, there are Mesmers just waiting in that map to help players so just check every 20 minutes or so. For me, some random player ported me up there and even taught me how to jump down properly. He wouldn't even accept any gold as a thank you. The trick to jumping down from the top platform, is to perfectly face the left most beam while standing at the center, then dodge backwards.

All other diving goggle JP's can be skipped using mounts.

3) For fractals, my guess is if you ask the group for help with MP's before you start, players who know will most likely be happy to help. If you get no replies, try another group.

Also, I recommend reading some of the tips people posted here, as well as watch videos online. They're very helpful in letting you figure out which MP's may be best suited for you. Hope you get them all soon and good luck.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I didn't see the (3, I think) JPs listed, the Current Events/Side Stories, the Badges, LA Exterminator; these are all doable, I would say.

Just finishing up the current events, that will get me two of the missing points. Been plugging through the season 2 ach’s but I kinda suck at a couple of the chapters so it’s taking forever lol. Done the badges, done exterminator (that was actually fun!). Which Jps are you talking about? I did the big one where most of the badges were at the same time, but not sure about the others... I’ve been following the mastery symbol next to all the relevant ach’s.

The remaining world bosses and the group content is problematic, because (as I mentioned earlier) I’m on oceanic time. It’s delightfully simple to catch groups at peak US times as some people seem to love telling me over and over, but I’m REALLY struggling with groups. There’s two main guilds that seem to run WBs when I’m on, and they expect players outside their guild to be online and begging for slots up to an hour before they run. Every damn time there’s about 25 of us left out and we get stuck with “world full” notifications and have to try and muddle through on our own. None of us can coordinate properly because none of us have ever gotten a successful kill. We’ve dubbed ourselves the “misfit leftovers” because it happens so often! That being said, I’ve got all the Tequatl ach’s except for the waves (he dies so fast I’m only getting one per kill lol), and all the TT ach’s except the actual kills.

And I finally... FINALLY managed to get 3 people together for sorrows embrace yesterday, but still no luck with the last one in mt maelstrom.

I’ll double check the Jps to see if I missed any though... thanks for the suggestion. It would just be so much easier if I could just reassign the damn fractal tree points to the legendary tree :( *edit: I’ve done the the jp that starts at the upside down boat and the hidden garden, I’ll be checking to see if I missed any others when I get home. Thanks! :D

*edited for typos and to add this https://youtu.be/53gbMMJnhx8. For anyone else who’s struggling! :)

You know, it's funny. I started playing this game almost midway through 2017 and I was maxed out in mastery points, with some to spare, in less than a year. I took the time to research AND SOLO all needed points before they introduced the insights in Core Tyria. Mind you, they helped once they were introduced, but that was of little consequence. Didn't take me long, even soloing, because I was determined to get them and get everything I needed to fully enjoy the GW2 experience.

Call me a masochist, but it was easy enough once I buckled down and focused.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> Ugh such elitist attitudes... it’s completely different trying to do some of the mastery requirements now compared to when the mastery component of the game was fresh.

My husband started to play GW2 about 3 months ago, and has no more problem getting core Tyria mastery points than I do on my alt account that I've been actively playing for 5 years. In fact, he had an easier time with some of them than I ever will, since boss fights (Tripple Trouble, Tequatl) are much more his kind of gameplay than mine.

Core Tyria mastery points have never been easy to get. When HoT brought the mastery system, almost none of the people I play with had enough Core Tyria points to unlock all masteries. On the contrary, due to the fact that the commune points didn't exist it was even more difficult back then to gain enough points to unlock everything. The difference between those of us who have been playing since masteries were introduced to those that start today is simply that we've had more time to gain experience and points.

Unlike other MMOs this game (mostly) doesn't invalidate old content. Core Tyria masteries are just as relevant as in-game progression today as they were back when HoT was released. There is no reason for ANet to shortcut those qol and prestige unlocks the pact and legendary mastery lines grant you (not counting fractal masteries, as those unlock organically simply by playing fractals), since it's a progression that's just as relevant to the game today as it was several years ago. It doesn't lock you out of participating, as the content played for that progression is still as relevant and played as much as it used to be when masteries were introduced.

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> The remaining world bosses and the group content is problematic, because (as I mentioned earlier) I’m on oceanic time. It’s delightfully simple to catch groups at peak US times as some people seem to love telling me over and over, but I’m REALLY struggling with groups. There’s two main guilds that seem to run WBs when I’m on, and they expect players outside their guild to be online and begging for slots up to an hour before they run. Every kitten time there’s about 25 of us left out and we get stuck with

For Teq & TT on NA try to get on the maps 30 minuts before. Guilds that run often are /TEA/ and /qute/ on NA. I work weird hours, so my playtime is almost oceanic evening or morning :) Maps get filled pretty quickly as those bosses have a chance for ascended drop. On TT commanders explain the mech and achievements you need for mastery. Good luck.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Noctoi.1965" said:

>

> > The remaining world bosses and the group content is problematic, because (as I mentioned earlier) I’m on oceanic time. It’s delightfully simple to catch groups at peak US times as some people seem to love telling me over and over, but I’m REALLY struggling with groups. There’s two main guilds that seem to run WBs when I’m on, and they expect players outside their guild to be online and begging for slots up to an hour before they run. Every kitten time there’s about 25 of us left out and we get stuck with

>

> For Teq & TT on NA try to get on the maps 30 minuts before. Guilds that run often are /TEA/ and /qute/ on NA. I work weird hours, so my playtime is almost oceanic evening or morning :) Maps get filled pretty quickly as those bosses have a chance for ascended drop. On TT commanders explain the mech and achievements you need for mastery. Good luck.

Thanks! I managed to finish work early today and nabbed a spot for the TT run, and they respawned it to do it twice. Got a couple of mastery points so I only need two more now!going to try my luck again for some fractals and see how I go. Thx to everyone who listened and gave awesome advice, you rock :)

> @"Noctoi.1965" said:

> Thanks! I managed to finish work early today and nabbed a spot for the TT run, and they respawned it to do it twice. Got a couple of mastery points so I only need two more now!going to try my luck again for some fractals and see how I go. Thx to everyone who listened and gave awesome advice, you rock :)

So glad that you only need 2 more mps.

Try to get Dancing with Hologram in Aetherblade and not to fall in larva in Volcanic Fractal or Kill all mobs in Solid Ocean are the easiest.