Can we nerf Hero Challenges in Heart of Thorns already?

> @"artemis.6781" said:

> And everyone saying "no don't" have probably unlocked every espec on every character and have no need to visit these HPs.

I haven't fully unlocked every espec except on just two characters. There are plenty of especs I haven't fully unlocked on even one character. I think they are fine the way they are right now and should be left alone *because there are more valuable things Anet could do with their time*. Unless you play at a weird time when there are only three other people in the game, you're able to get people together to do these HPs.

EDIT: text fixed. I suck at being coherent.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's literally no reason for the HoT hero challenges to spawn champion enemies, when the core game gives you veterans. _Literally none_. Anet clearly learned this lesson, because they dialed that nonsense back in PoF.

There's plenty of random champions running around the HoT maps if you really want to test your skills or whatever the hell.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> There's literally no reason for the HoT hero challenges to spawn champion enemies, when the core game gives you veterans. _Literally none_. Anet clearly learned this lesson, because they dialed that nonsense back in PoF.

>

> There's plenty of random champions running around the HoT maps if you really want to test your skills or whatever the hell.

Hmmmm....I quite remember them advertising HoT as a challenging expansion. So in that regard, it makes perfect sense to have HoT hero challenge harder than core.

Likewise, they advertised PoF to be an expansion based on exploration and less challenge. So in that regard, it makes sense to have PoF hero challenge be more in line with core.

**Hands off HoT difficulty**. That being said the latter part of OP post makes a lot of sense.

WvW has it's own currency that can be used to purchase xpac hero point completion, so you don't have to go and grind HP if you have been playing enough WvW.

Why there is no such currency for spvp'ers is bit beyond me...

> @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> **Hands off HoT difficulty**. That being said the latter part of OP post makes a lot of sense.

> WvW has it's own currency that can be used to purchase xpac hero point completion, so you don't have to go and grind HP if you have been playing enough WvW.

> Why there is no such currency for spvp'ers is bit beyond me...

sPvP’rs have everything unlocked.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"ZeftheWicked.3076" said:

> > **Hands off HoT difficulty**. That being said the latter part of OP post makes a lot of sense.

> > WvW has it's own currency that can be used to purchase xpac hero point completion, so you don't have to go and grind HP if you have been playing enough WvW.

> > Why there is no such currency for spvp'ers is bit beyond me...

>

> sPvP’rs have everything unlocked.

Only in spvp. Meanwhile you can earn perfectly valid legendary armor set by playing spvp, a reward that has 0 value in spvp itself, but has huge value in other two game modes.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

>

> I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> @"bladezero.9470" said:

> Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

>

> Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

There's almost no chance that HoT would be nerfed. Why would they bother doing it now? If they were going to do it, they would have done so prior to advertising it with PoF. HoT's more likely to be added to the free client, especially considering it was designed for an active population.

They would certainly never nerf the hero challenges for the sake of legendaries, since that's kind of the point. Legendaries are meant to be a grind and show dedication to various aspects of the game. For everyone else, there's enough solo ones in HoT to unlock the elite, so that's not a problem. It does block map completion, but there's plenty of other complaints about that, so I doubt most people bother. There's simply not a big enough reason to warrant wasting resources on it. Just look at how they didn't bother to fix the final instance until the living world brought a wave of people back to it.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> Hmmmm....I quite remember them advertising HoT as a challenging expansion. So in that regard, it makes perfect sense to have HoT hero challenge harder than core.

They would have been more challenging than core even if they were the basic HoT enemies. Making them group content was simply to slow down progress, as HoT was designed to be an endgame grind and waste your time. This was the big problem they had at launch, where many quit within the first few weeks due to having nothing to do, no endgame to grind. The whole point of mastery points for example is to force you into playing the content, since people were skipping everything on their rush to 80, then complaining about the lack of content.

If they actually wanted to make hero challenges challenging, they would have been _hero_ challenges, where you had to solo them like adventures. It would be even better however if they made them "challenges" rather than simple kills. This is where they could have easily slipped in tutorials, where you absolutely had to deal with a break bar for example.

> @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> >

> > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

>

> Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

>

> > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> >

> > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

>

> The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

>

In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > >

> > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> >

> > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> >

> > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > >

> > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> >

> > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> >

>

> In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

Map completion should never be tied behind a meta, for solo or time restrained players

> > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > >

> > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > >

> > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > >

> > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > >

> > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > >

> > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > >

> >

> > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

>

> But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> **Map completion should never be tied behind a meta**, for solo or time restrained players

Why not?

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > > >

> > > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > > >

> > > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > > >

> > > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > > >

> > > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > > >

> > >

> > > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

> >

> > But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> > **Map completion should never be tied behind a meta**, for solo or time restrained players

>

> Why not?

Frustration, time restraints, the lack of reason. It doesn't keep many people on the map, that care to do the meta. I've alt+f4 so many times because I have no interest or ability to wait 45 minutes to an hour for anything map completion related.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > > >

> > > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > > >

> > > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > > >

> > > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > > >

> > > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > > >

> > >

> > > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

> >

> > But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> > **Map completion should never be tied behind a meta**, for solo or time restrained players

>

> Why not?

Why yes?

No don't. HoT has been made easier again and again. If you want to stroll around in a friendly environment, there's always Queensdale to greet you. HoT-landia is a warzone, it's enemy territory in a very literal sense and I don't mind it being a bit harder than anything else. On the legendary, If I remmeber correctly you now have the option to get at least the legendaries after Eureka from PoF maps which are easier to solo. It will be grindy though, you've been warned so pls don't open up a "ZOMG SO MUCH GRIND ANET!!!!!!!" thread after seeing what you need to do there ;)

> > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > >

> > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > >

> > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > >

> > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > >

> > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > >

> > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > >

> >

> > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

>

> But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> Map completion should never be tied behind a meta, for solo or time restrained players

In my opinion, an MMO should never be designed to cater only to the solo or time restrained player. Not only do such players typically spend little or no money on the game, but they also don't add much to the community by virtue of having so little time and spending most of it alone. Not that GW2 isn't THE MMO to play if you're that sort of player. All the easy mode you want and no structure to speak of! But it also has no replay value and virtually nothing to challenge players who actually, you know, spend time playing the game! HoT was the cure for that.

> @"bobsort.4097" said:

> > > > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > > > >

> > > > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > > > >

> > > > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

> > >

> > > But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> > > **Map completion should never be tied behind a meta**, for solo or time restrained players

> >

> > Why not?

>

> Why yes?

There's nothing to suggest that it should be one way or the other. However, Anet designed it to specifically be this way.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"bobsort.4097" said:

> > > > > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > There are enough soloable HP’s in HoT to max all skill lines.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I’m not sure what legendary weapons have to do with hero challenges.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Just off the top of my head, map completion? For those legendaries?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > @"bladezero.9470" said:

> > > > > > > Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The easiest way would be to just get tokens from WvW. Or wait for a train.

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > In order to do those legendaries, you have to do other group content. I don’t see the point in singling out the HP’s because you need them for map completion towards legendaries when you have to do other group content anyway for them.

> > > >

> > > > But you still need them :p and this fella isn't wrong though.

> > > > **Map completion should never be tied behind a meta**, for solo or time restrained players

> > >

> > > Why not?

> >

> > Why yes?

>

> There's nothing to suggest that it should be one way or the other. However, Anet designed it to specifically be this way.

It should go without saying that it is generally incumbent upon the party pressing for change to establish why the requested change is necessary/desirable. We know the motive: Convenience. But why is it necessary? There is no universal truth of game design that states that personal progression (map completion, in this case) must always be a 100% solo affair.

The issue I have with the proposal is that it would kill one of my favorite activities for the sake of convenience. There are other possible solutions that could give both sides what they want, however. PoF did it by implementing the bounty system (great for people like me who like to solo champs and lead open world squads!) and making the HP challenges veteran only. However, PoF maps don't really have the big map-wide events like HoT does. That conflict would need to be addressed in some way.

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> It should go without saying that it is generally incumbent upon the party pressing for change to establish why the requested change is necessary/desirable. We know the motive: Convenience. But why is it necessary? There is no universal truth of game design that states that personal progression (map completion, in this case) must always be a 100% solo affair.

But map completion IS personal. It does not affect any one else. It should never be tied behind timed events, there should be alternative ways to reach the completion. Making a game mechanic hostage for the sake of "group content" makes 0 sense and turns people away damn fast.

> The issue I have with the proposal is that it would kill one of my favorite activities for the sake of convenience. There are other possible solutions that could give both sides what they want, however. PoF did it by implementing the bounty system (great for people like me who like to solo champs and lead open world squads!) and making the HP challenges veteran only. However, PoF maps don't really have the big map-wide events like HoT does. That conflict would need to be addressed in some way.

Which Anet seems to have the worst problem with, solo verses fun group content. Everything after HoT just became a "why". No real value after you get achievements for most, and loot is sub par.

Good luck trying to get groups to make Aurora, now a days.

> @"bladezero.9470" said:

> Nobody cares that you tried to make interesting and challenging content. The jungle was a failure. Just nerf it already.

>

> Either that or give us better pathways to finish legendaries.

It literally takes at maximum like 2 people to complete most champion hero points.

Nothing there needs to be nerfed, it is fine as is.

Please don't speak for everyone just because you want to press one and hope to one shot everything.

Furthermore, you can use the WvW Heroic Tokens to just buy the hero points at random. So if you can't complete any, buy them later. You are whining about things that have a work around.

Op, i did most of the hero points alone or with help from anyone that was near it.

Some are tough, i must admit and those i couldn't finish, i just simply use my tokens (thousands that i have) from WvW to unlock them.

This is a double edge sword, while some here do not agree with you but when it comes to them making a legendary...guess what....

They cry and chuck a fit about how "Gift of Battle" is locked behind WvW and they don't do WvW etc etc.

I find that so funny and wish that ArenaNet never change that cos its so easy to do in just few hours.

> @"Despond.2174" said:

> There are like 8 > @"artemis.6781" said:

> > And everyone saying "no don't" have probably unlocked every espec on every character and have no need to visit these HPs.

>

> "Everyone" lol no. It takes 2 hours to get enough HOT mastery points. Plus if you want Dragon stand points are just walk up and click, and there are 8 HPs over the first 2 zones that require no fighting. For the rest, just ask map or join a HOT train. I am always making alts and redoing HPs, it's not hard at all and it doesn't need changing. Some classes also can completely solo the champions, for example necro minion build.

>

> They nerfed PoF system by making every point non-champs, so you could actually do POF first, and use your elite spec to /lol the HoT ones. HoT isn't old content, GW2 doesn't work like this. HoT metas are still current so thinking "Well its an older xpac lets nerf it because it doesn't matter" doesn't apply with this MMO. If you get to cherry pick what time gates you want removed then after awhile there would be nothing left.

>

>

I can attest to this, my recent Reaper steamrolled a few Champ Hero Points on Maguuma, any other class well . . .