New races please,and their heritage skins

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > > > > @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> > > > > > @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > > > > > I often read they have 'too few resources', 'too many skins to re-do'. People should think outside of the box. There are numerous ways to circumvent this. Either you just don't give them a vast amount of old skins and/or you give them some race specific skins only for this race. Problem solved.

> > > > >

> > > > > that is precisely the point, if anet only do a few, it will open up pandora's box, people will whine about not enough skins, after all it's Fashion Wars 2

> > > >

> > > > Sure, there are always people who will complain, but ultimately you have to go a way which results in the least complaining. I am not sure whether this is the right way, but at least it's an effort.

> > >

> > > the right way would be not creating new race, spend those time creating new skins for gem store so we can fund them for the next expansion ;)

> >

> > I'd call that complacency. Expecting to just pile on more flashy skins to unlock and expecting people to just keep buying into it.

> >

> > Saying that that is the right way would be like saying the devs should have just kept releasing unlimited gathering tools and keep raking in money. No, that's complacency. Instead, they looked at ways to enhance the wardrobe system and add functionality to it to facilitate players buying more of the tools.

> >

> > I'm not going to say making new races is the "right" way, but just pushing out more and more skins without any other considerations to expand features isn't the right way.

>

> a new race isn't a feature, it's cosmetic, just like new skins, but with no monetary attach to it; it will have additional maintenance cost attached to it.

> say it takes 1 day to create and tweak a skin to make it pretty for a race's male + female variation, it will take 5 days for the current 5 races, throwing in extra race mean for every new skin they release in the future it will cost them 1 extra day

>

1. A new race doesn't have to be just cosmetic. In fact, I'd prefer it weren't.

2. It can be monetized.

3. Argue against it all you like.

Threatening the devs by saying I'm not going to buy more of their skins is pointless. I'd rather speak with my wallet by suggesting to them what I *will* spend money on. Far more constructive.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whenever the topic of new races gets brought up, I have no problems expressing how much I'd enjoy seeing centaur become a new player race. I've always liked how Anet has designed them visually, and the overall story seems to be leaning toward a possible truce similar to humans/charr. Centuar are almost never playable in games, so it would be a huge deal if Anet actually accomplished a feat of this magnitude.

Now, do I expect this to happen? Of course not. Not even a little. I'm well aware of the limitations and hurdles the centaur would bring. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't be totally awesome if it somehow were to come to fruition. If any race were ever to be added in the future, my bet is, logically, the tengu. A fully customizable centaur as a player character is a fun dream though, I'll admit. ;)

As far as I see it centaurs are a GW3 ask by now (assuming not _all_ other races are... which is very possible). After the introduction of mounts, some of which are _required_ to navigate significant parts of the open world, it would be a big problem to add a race that didn't have access to them. Unfortunately, there don't seem to be too many ways to get a centaur to ride something that aren't comically dumb. The best I can come up with is to make the raptor and springer "movement modes", where there is no mount but just a separate set of animations, and for the skimmer, to make said centaur ride them like a surfboard. And I don't really like those ideas much either - it just seems really contrived/shoehorned.

To be honest, though, even tengu seem like a long shot now. If you cut as many corners as you can get away with (no pre-introduction personal story, ergo no retroactive voicing; pre-existing armor skins not supported) I could see a race like them maybe fitting into a similar budget to e.g. mounts, which would mean they'd have to be the biggest selling point of that expansion. It's plausible, just, but I'm not sure that's where ArenaNet is going these days. Reading between the lines I have a suspicion they were originally going to release tengu as a new playable race for HoT, which is why we got the new models and voice adjustments there, but decided it was too expensive to finish the job and gave up on it. I'm not really sure they'll reconsider now, and the arc of the living world story doesn't have any foreshadowing that would suggest it's in the cards. After Primordus was sent back to dormancy, the tengu have less motivation than ever to concern themselves with the world outside their walls.

So, again, maybe GW3. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but I can't see the end of the tunnel yet.

Fact is, there has to be an additional feature with the new expansion. Well it does not have to, but usually a company will feature something in addition to make people buy their product (aside from new story/landmass):

- HoT gave us gliding and the revenant class

- PoF gave us mounts

These were big selling points and my theory for expansion #3 is one or several of those:

- refinded UW combat with more choices of UW weapons (unlikely)

- new weapons or remade UW weapons for land use

- new race with new starting zone and maybe even a separate quest/story line which is set _after_ the events we have today

At least that's something I would do as a company.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Well **duh**.

>

> My point is **obviously** about every line the Commander has across all races which would have to re-recorded twice - and these make up the vast, vaaaast majority of voice acting done for the Commander and would be a massive undertaking as a result.

>

> Now go unnecessarily nitpick somewhere else.

Um, actually, recorded twice *in every language*, making it even more unlikely.

(Sorry, had to pick that nit. :P)

But, even with armor and voice acting needed to fill in for 1-80 content, and two expansions, and two living world seasons, **gimme burbs**.

..Or at least some viable outfits (not tonics) to make races we'll never have access to.

> @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > @"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

> > I just want a tonic that allows me to look like a toxic krait, while in combat.

>

> I want a ton of more combat tonics. They could make Tengu, dwarf, mursaat - conflicts a bit with gemstore sales, but let's be real - combat tonics are freaking awesome and they serve as a great middle ground between new races and the work it'd undertake to make a new race.

Pre-PoF, I would have agreed. But mounts are critical to the new content and utterly incompatible with tonics. Given that body pieces can be completely replaced via Outfits, I'd love to see that avenue explored for giving more "races" that ANet is otherwise skittish to give.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"Cuddy.6247" said:

> > > @"Trevor Boyer.6524" said:

> > > I just want a tonic that allows me to look like a toxic krait, while in combat.

> >

> > I want a ton of more combat tonics. They could make Tengu, dwarf, mursaat - conflicts a bit with gemstore sales, but let's be real - combat tonics are freaking awesome and they serve as a great middle ground between new races and the work it'd undertake to make a new race.

>

> Pre-PoF, I would have agreed. But mounts are critical to the new content and utterly incompatible with tonics. Given that body pieces can be completely replaced via Outfits, I'd love to see that avenue explored for giving more "races" that ANet is otherwise skittish to give.

Just have it transform you back into normal toon if you mount. And the tonics don't need to display specific armor skins, just different weapons.

This topic has been covered over both old and new forums and by several people.

I like Anet's pace with coming out with new maps (LW), expansions, and general bug fixes and world polishes. A lot of players will have an argument against adding new races etc (some already stated in this thread) and ask Anet to continue to focus on the game as it stands while keeping up the pace of new and engaging content for the community as a whole.

While I see your point ... I strongly disagree and hope Anet keeps up its awesome work and commitment to providing us with quality content and new maps/expansions.

> @"EpicName.4523" said:

> From what I've heard revenant is the least polished, most buggy and currently somewhat underpowered profession in this game. This probably has to do with the fact it was not part of the original GW2. Why would you want to introduce more half-finished and constantly forgotten classes like this one?

>

> Also, how can you imagine something like centaur using a mount? Introducing the features asked in this thread is not only pointless from a gameplay point of view, but will also bring numerous bugs and visual problems when it comes to fitting those skins in existing armors.

>

> Why WoW does it? Well, WoW is in decline. WoW is slowly suffocating because the magic of the earlier versions of this game died with the Lich King. The devs have a lot of resources at their disposal to make something happen and this is one of their desperate attempt to justify the monthly fee of more than a 10 year old product.

Wow is not decline they have more people going to wow because of the maghar orcs,lightforged dreanei,high mountain tauren and zandalar changing up the story now.sylvanas has seen to that.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"EpicName.4523" said:

> > Also, how can you imagine something like centaur using a mount? Introducing the features asked in this thread is not only pointless from a gameplay point of view, but will also bring numerous bugs and visual problems when it comes to fitting those skins in existing armors.

>

> Anyone else remember the era of gaming where game devs pushed the envelope and had to think creatively when they had hard limitations to work around?

Centaur heritage,and mount speed since their half horse anyway.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> New race means that all armor skins have to be re-done. A new personal story has to be created m together with a home town and a new starter zone, they need to re-record all lines the player speaks in all 5 languages for both sexes. This is a huge amount of resources, pulling them away from releasing other new content that is much easier to deliver. So given the amount of work, it’s not worth it.

Personal story,lol,the devs had knocked on that door already.i meant centaur heritage set and mount speed.we could use multiple languages to make it interesting.guild wars 2 has been making new content since the release but haven't changed the charr to be more like gw1

• 4 weeks later...

New classes, races are something expected from an mmo and are a good way to generate excitement for a new expansion. I've recently started playing gw2 while I wait for BFA to come out for Wow and it doesn't really seem like much has changed. maybe they anticipated this game having a definite shelf life? in some ways it seems like they don't want this game to appeal to more people since they seem uninterested or incapable of adding things that are commonplace in the mmo realm: dungeons, races, classes and raids.

WotlK set standards for any MMO in my opinion. It has a fantastic villain, little sidetrecks, gripping story, much more dramatic and impactful cutscenes and Undead as playable race. I would be really hard pressed to name the one feature out of that three that drew me the most into playing it.

It would not hurt Anet to follow suit and design an expansion like that. Not the same theme and not as big of course, but something akin to that.

> @"Torolan.5816" said:

> WotlK set standards for any MMO in my opinion. It has a fantastic villain, little sidetrecks, gripping story, much more dramatic and impactful cutscenes and Undead as playable race. I would be really hard pressed to name the one feature out of that three that drew me the most into playing it.

>

> It would not hurt Anet to follow suit and design an expansion like that. Not the same theme and not as big of course, but something akin to that.

WotLK was fantastic, the best WoW expansion IMO however undead were playable in vanilla WoW. In Wrath they added Death Knights.

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> why when i type "heritage set skins" in google image, i get neutrogena creams???

>

> anyway i never played wow... i like the idea of new races, but not the idea of cloning another game... gw2 is great because it has unique ideas

> ![](https://i.imgur.com/K0lbo2X.png"")

>

You don't. You get a variety of brands of skin products (Amorepacific, Sulwhasoo, Elysee, etc). As for why, if you look at the picture, those products literally say "heritage set" on them and they are skin care products.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Torolan.5816" said:

> > WotlK set standards for any MMO in my opinion. It has a fantastic villain, little sidetrecks, gripping story, much more dramatic and impactful cutscenes and Undead as playable race. I would be really hard pressed to name the one feature out of that three that drew me the most into playing it.

> >

> > It would not hurt Anet to follow suit and design an expansion like that. Not the same theme and not as big of course, but something akin to that.

>

> WotLK was fantastic, the best WoW expansion IMO however undead were playable in vanilla WoW. In Wrath they added Death Knights.

Yes, my bad, I tend to group all undead creatures into just Undead^^.

Death Knights appealed to the old Pool of Radiance and other classic RPG games player in me, so I took the bait hook and sinker so to say. Friends and cooleagues who never played the classics also were totally eager to play an undead Knight, it was just a cool concept from head to toe.

• 7 months later...

I dont understand why people are making such a big deal out of 'so many resources to do thousands of armour pieces'

For example if the Tengu were introduced, all of the leg and foot armour has already been shaped into a digitigrade shape for the Charr, which could easily be manipulated into something thinner for bird legs

For the top half the Tengu have no hunch in their backs so normal shaped armour would fit. The only harder part would be the headgear for a race with a beak.

I dont see 'redesigning' armour to be such a huge issue when they already have years of assets to use

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > We have classes 3 of each weight now, the Elite specs are technically Anets way of doing new classes.

>

> To counter this though, why would professions have to be perfectly symmetrical in regards to armor classes? Other RPGs don't usually care about this.

OCD?