[Suggestion] Three Glyph Slots instead of Per-Tool Glyphs

Zoe.8310

I love the Glyphs as an idea, but I don't feel very compelled to get a variety of them. I feel that each one would be more interesting to obtain if I could have three uniquely equipped Glyphs instead of them being tied to one specific Tool. This would be a more engaging meta than it's current form, especially as more and more are added in the coming months :-)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> If I understand what you’re asking you want the UI to hold the Glyphs, up to 3 unique Glyphs at a time. Does this mean we’d get all 3 bonuses per strike rather than one?

Yes, that would be correct.

How do the glyphs handle with regular Gathering Tools? If so I could see how it might look prettier if the slots were sepparate from the tools in the hero panel. I don't see the problem when using infinite use ones. I decided on what toon I want to use what kind of glyph and should I find out something that I can improve for myself, should the meta shift or should they add something more desireable, I'll just switch the glyph. No big deal. I think it would have been a terrible move if you needed to remove the glyphs like you have to remove runes/sigils/infusions, i.e. using an item(sold sepparately) and sometimes trusting your luck. But ANet didn't, they did the consumer friendly choice and made them swappable w/o cost/loss.

I see how f.e. having both, a sprocket glyph and glyph of indutry, is very desirable. But where does that desire stop(why not have 3 slots, or 10, 22?)? Where is desire balanced out and what kind of balance is both 1) a QoL upgrade ppl will want to spend time/gold/gems and 2) profitable enough for ANet to keep the show running? I think they did it right with giving us one slot per tool, swappable and giving us the possibility to skin the tools now...

Speaking about the cosmetic side of things: who cares about GatherWars2 when FashionWars2 has just received a totally new level of depth and complexity. Similar to the way mounts changed the FashionWars meta this was a step into a bright future where everyone will look their best when scavenging the ground for truffles or lumbering away in rural Ascalon...

Speaking of silly metas, aka all the puns that came to mind while typing: Will Speedfarms and tournaments among farming and crafting guilds will become a thing, now that we have a meta? Do we need an addition to the lfg UI? Will there be gathering benchmarks? Should gathering reward a unique legendary trophy, like LI in raids, to 1) craft legendary harvesting tools and 2) destinguish the pros from the noobs? Will ANet add holographic gathering nodes(they don't give mats, it's only for science;)) to the Special Forces Training Area? If we can't have legendary gathering tools, can we get ascended tools with built in glyphs and an infusion slot?

tl;dr: All is well. Thanks Anet for the overall improvement of things, special thanks for making them skins and that swapping a glyph doesn't charge us extra. Some puns added for good measure. Have a nice day. :)

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > If I understand what you’re asking you want the UI to hold the Glyphs, up to 3 unique Glyphs at a time. Does this mean we’d get all 3 bonuses per strike rather than one?

>

> Yes, that would be correct.

Why stop at 3 then. Why not have a slot for each unique bonus and have all of them give their bonus for each strike?

If they were going to do multiple slots per tool, they'd have specific slots for the different types of glyphs, allowing you 1 of each. The speed increase and bonus items for example would be 2 different slots. They could use crafting to offer weaker or temporary versions of the glyphs, up to stronger ascended/legendary variants. They could also do crafted gathering tools with varying slots and charges, with the legendary tier being the equivalent of a permanent tool, while the others would be repaired through a gold or material sink. There's a lot of potential.

Unless you are talking about the glyphs becoming unlocks so that your entire ACCOUNT can use each one without swapping them around, then this idea is absolutely terrible.

Right now, I can socket the Glyph into the pick, then share the pick in my shared inventory slot and ALL of my characters can quickly swap it in and use it.

With the Glyph and the Tool being in separate slots, then I'd have to reserve twice as many shared inventory slots to swap tools.

> @"mtpelion.4562" said:

> Unless you are talking about the glyphs becoming unlocks so that your entire ACCOUNT can use each one without swapping them around, then this idea is absolutely terrible.

>

> Right now, I can socket the Glyph into the pick, then share the pick in my shared inventory slot and ALL of my characters can quickly swap it in and use it.

>

> With the Glyph and the Tool being in separate slots, then I'd have to reserve twice as many shared inventory slots to swap tools.

Conversely, I'm already finding it a bit of a nuisance to swap out the glyph for each different gathering thing I run into, moving it from one tool to the other.

So I agree that it would have been great to have it as an account-wide bonus, to solve both problems.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"mtpelion.4562" said:

> > Unless you are talking about the glyphs becoming unlocks so that your entire ACCOUNT can use each one without swapping them around, then this idea is absolutely terrible.

> >

> > Right now, I can socket the Glyph into the pick, then share the pick in my shared inventory slot and ALL of my characters can quickly swap it in and use it.

> >

> > With the Glyph and the Tool being in separate slots, then I'd have to reserve twice as many shared inventory slots to swap tools.

>

> Conversely, I'm already finding it a bit of a nuisance to swap out the glyph for each different gathering thing I run into, moving it from one tool to the other.

> So I agree that it would have been great to have it as an account-wide bonus, to solve both problems.

Then what you need is three glyphs, really, one for each tool.

I think you find that that will be ArenaNet's solution to the problem, after all, one man's problem is another man's opportunity (to sell more gemstore items).

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > @"mtpelion.4562" said:

> > > Unless you are talking about the glyphs becoming unlocks so that your entire ACCOUNT can use each one without swapping them around, then this idea is absolutely terrible.

> > >

> > > Right now, I can socket the Glyph into the pick, then share the pick in my shared inventory slot and ALL of my characters can quickly swap it in and use it.

> > >

> > > With the Glyph and the Tool being in separate slots, then I'd have to reserve twice as many shared inventory slots to swap tools.

> >

> > Conversely, I'm already finding it a bit of a nuisance to swap out the glyph for each different gathering thing I run into, moving it from one tool to the other.

> > So I agree that it would have been great to have it as an account-wide bonus, to solve both problems.

>

> Then what you need is three glyphs, really, one for each tool.

>

> I think you find that that will be ArenaNet's solution to the problem, after all, one man's problem is another man's opportunity (to sell more gemstore items).

You upseller you. :)

It's still a bother in the UI to have to swap them, I guess is really what I'm getting at, even if I had spares to run with.

I'm grateful that it's there, of course, but I'm also a big fan of elegant design execution. :P

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > I wish I could stack them too, but I absolutely understand why they didn't do this.

>

> If you could only equip one of each kind, it could be balanced for sure.

They don't want any player to be in a situation where they can gain 3 types of bonus materials from a single swing. Imagine getting watchwork sprockets, unbound magic, and volatile magic (whenever that becomes a thing in glyph form) from a single swing of your pickaxe. There's already enough people unhappy with gem store tools giving you extra mats from gathering period, but this would be worse

> @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > I wish I could stack them too, but I absolutely understand why they didn't do this.

> >

> > If you could only equip one of each kind, it could be balanced for sure.

>

> They don't want any player to be in a situation where they can gain 3 types of bonus materials from a single swing. Imagine getting watchwork sprockets, unbound magic, and volatile magic (whenever that becomes a thing in glyph form) from a single swing of your pickaxe. There's already enough people unhappy with gem store tools giving you extra mats from gathering period, but this would be worse

All they have to do is make the "unopened" ones for those, and then they can appear on the TP, problem solved ;-)

> @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > @"OriOri.8724" said:

> > > @"Zoe.8310" said:

> > > > @"Ardenwolfe.8590" said:

> > > > I wish I could stack them too, but I absolutely understand why they didn't do this.

> > >

> > > If you could only equip one of each kind, it could be balanced for sure.

> >

> > They don't want any player to be in a situation where they can gain 3 types of bonus materials from a single swing. Imagine getting watchwork sprockets, unbound magic, and volatile magic (whenever that becomes a thing in glyph form) from a single swing of your pickaxe. There's already enough people unhappy with gem store tools giving you extra mats from gathering period, but this would be worse

>

> All they have to do is make the "unopened" ones for those, and then they can appear on the TP, problem solved ;-)

What?

It *would* be nice if there was a sickle glyph slot, an axe glyph slot and a mining pick glyph slot. Mostly for people who do not own unlimited tools. That way it wouldn't reattaching every time.

Other than that I don't think it needs to go any further. Sure I wouldn't mind(probably) if glyphs were account unlocks or if you could attach a pile of glyphs on to one tool but I don't think that is necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> It *would* be nice if there was a sickle glyph slot, an axe glyph slot and a mining pick glyph slot. Mostly for people who do not own unlimited tools. That way it wouldn't reattaching every time.

>

That's a decent enough idea

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> It *would* be nice if there was a sickle glyph slot, an axe glyph slot and a mining pick glyph slot. Mostly for people who do not own unlimited tools. That way it wouldn't reattaching every time.

>

>

Really agree, also I wish there was no confirmation dialogue box when inserting the glyph - if u put it in the wrong tool (once in forever) just remove and reinsert.

And definitely, ty for making the removal free