New thing called dpsmeter

I met someone in a fractal party that was going near toxic on me because he was monitoring my dps it wasn’t enough at his taste. This is the first time I see this since I’m returning back to the game after 2 - 3 years of stop (I’m a veteran player)

What can I do against that?

It remind me the early meta people of cof p1 full zerk under 1 min epidemic

Unfortunately you can't really block their use of it, although monitoring other players dps with an app is, if memory serves, against the tos of the game. You can report them or just walk away from these kinds of people. I usually ignore anyone with that kind of attitude so all they end up doing is being toxic to thin air.

Toxic whingers like these are a minority in this game and the more players ignore them, the more they will just band together in their own tight groups and leave everyone else alone to play and have fun

> @"pepebart.5187" said:

> I met someone in a fractal party that was going near toxic on me because he was monitoring my dps it wasn’t enough at his taste. This is the first time I see this since I’m returning back to the game after 2 - 3 years of stop (I’m a veteran player)

>

> What can I do against that?

>

> It remind me the early meta people of cof p1 full zerk under 1 min epidemic

>

Same thing you did before: /block and move on.

(If their chat crosses the line into abuse, /report them. Or not.)

There have always been people so focused on "top DPS" that they don't stop to consider that their own behavior also affects the potential success of their team. I'm almost pleased when they identify themselves so clearly early on, because it gives me an opportunity to dodge that bullet

> @"Sakiko.5432" said:

> Well, the best way to fight that is creating your own LFG and adding something like "chill" or "all welcome". Peeps like that usually don't come in that kind of LF

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> ArcDPS is a greenlit DPS meter, you cannot report people for using it. You automatically agree to it's usage when joining a group or squad.

But you can report someone when they use it to be toxic or hateful to another player.

> @"pepebart.5187" said:

> I met someone in a fractal party that was going near toxic on me because he was monitoring my dps it wasn’t enough at his taste. This is the first time I see this since I’m returning back to the game after 2 - 3 years of stop (I’m a veteran player)

>

>

>

There's nothing you can do to stop it. If you're in the same group, arcdps will display your damage output to anyone using the software.

However, there is an easy solution: Make your own group. If you're just getting back into the swing of things, it might be a good idea to start with lower tier fractals and use LFG to get a group of players who aren't going to care about DPS numbers. I generally do this by adding "New players welcome!" to the description. Once you're back in practice your performance should improve and this will likely become a rare issue.

Also, it might not be a bad idea to download arcdps yourself so you can see what you're working with. Since you're recently returned after a few years off, a lot has changed and the builds we have today can dish out a lot more damage. Arcdps is a useful tool for giving you a better idea of how your build is performing. Yes, some players use it to give other players crap in an online game. That's unfortunate. But Arcdps itself is quite useful for players who want to improve their own performance. Most of us aren't out to get you!

Edit: Also, if the "toxicity" is bad enough, reporting and blocking the player in question might not be uncalled for.

> @"pepebart.5187" said:

>

>

>

There is nothing you can really do. Unless this was done along side some verbal abuse, just kicking you from a party is not really a reportable offense.

Just get yourself the DPS meter or train your self on the in-game PvE golem that tracks your dps and compare it to the typical to make sure that his comment does not have merit. Other than that just block him so that you never see him again in LFG and move on.

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > @"Sakiko.5432" said:

> > Well, the best way to fight that is creating your own LFG and adding something like "chill" or "all welcome". Peeps like that usually don't come in that kind of LF

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > ArcDPS is a greenlit DPS meter, you cannot report people for using it. You automatically agree to it's usage when joining a group or squad.

>

> But you can report someone when they use it to be toxic or hateful to another player.

People can be toxic as much as they want in their own group. Dont like it? leave group

New thing? No it's not new. It's been around almost two years.

It's funny how so many ppl that against it previously is now using it. I hv them installed but rarely hv it on. The build template comes with it is really awesome.

RE toxic.. Just leave the group of u feel unhappy with any party member. Better for you and better for them too.

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > > @"Sakiko.5432" said:

> > > Well, the best way to fight that is creating your own LFG and adding something like "chill" or "all welcome". Peeps like that usually don't come in that kind of LF

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > ArcDPS is a greenlit DPS meter, you cannot report people for using it. You automatically agree to it's usage when joining a group or squad.

> >

> > But you can report someone when they use it to be toxic or hateful to another player.

> People can be toxic as much as they want in their own group. Dont like it? leave group

Joining a group doesn't suspend the game's terms of service (which state very clearly "you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players") nor provide an excuse for being a jerk in a party. People can and should report people choosing to use these meters as a way to shame or harrass other players.

If someone cannot behave like a rational person within the confines of the very clear TOS, then they're probably playing the wrong kind of game.

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > > @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > > > @"Sakiko.5432" said:

> > > > Well, the best way to fight that is creating your own LFG and adding something like "chill" or "all welcome". Peeps like that usually don't come in that kind of LF

> > > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > > ArcDPS is a greenlit DPS meter, you cannot report people for using it. You automatically agree to it's usage when joining a group or squad.

> > >

> > > But you can report someone when they use it to be toxic or hateful to another player.

> > People can be toxic as much as they want in their own group. Dont like it? leave group

>

> Joining a group doesn't suspend the game's terms of service (which state very clearly "you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players") nor provide an excuse for being a jerk in a party. People can and should report people choosing to use these meters as a way to shame or harrass other players.

>

> If someone cannot behave like a rational person within the confines of the very clear TOS, then they're probably playing the wrong kind of game.

Then maybe forbid the metet is healthier

After 2-3 years the game has had a rather steep inflation in dps and a matching difficulty. It very likely that what you had was once a useful and contributing character, but now it is not contributing anything worthwhile to the objectives in fractal and as such the other four players has to either replace you or carrying you through the content as if they were just four people doing five people content.

You don't need dps meters to see this. 99cm for example has a game mechanic where if you can't solo a specific target then the whole group take massive damage and all will know who failed. DPS meters makes the work of seeing who is doing what easier and more convenient in all the other fights, but in the end it is always rather obvious when four people are doing the job of five. Even worse when a single player is doing the job of three, which is usually when the "toxicity" start to bubble up on party chat. Personally I just leave at that point, as carrying more than one person is a hassle that I rather avoid most days.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > Report so maybe anet banns use of it if enough

>

> You can report the behavior of people and the account owners will get punished, if appropriate. But the use of the DPS meter itself is neutral.

Not exactly true, now with dps meters you can know exactly who's the black sheep(s) in a party and most of the time he/they will be kicked, in the old days when you didn't have enough dps as a squad you couldn't _exactly_ know who was the specific cause of it, so to succeed in that specific encounter you had either to leave the party and search for another better one or try to explain the content and get better together (I miss those times).

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> improve your dps. why r some ppl content with being mediocre?

> it's not toxic, for me, i always aim to improve myself and learn all the classes... why can't others do the same.

Mmh, maybe, just maybe, it's because not every people think the same way...

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > > > Well, the best way to fight that is creating your own LFG and adding something like "chill" or "all welcome". Peeps like that usually don't come in that kind of LF

> > > > ArcDPS is a greenlit DPS meter, you cannot report people for using it. You automatically agree to it's usage when joining a group or squad.

> > >

> > > But you can report someone when they use it to be toxic or hateful to another player.

> > People can be toxic as much as they want in their own group. Dont like it? leave group

>

> Joining a group doesn't suspend the game's terms of service (which state very clearly "you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players") nor provide an excuse for being a jerk in a party. People can and should report people choosing to use these meters as a way to shame or harrass other players.

>

> If someone cannot behave like a rational person within the confines of the very clear TOS, then they're probably playing the wrong kind of game.

Well yes. You can still report this guy if you find him deliberately harassing ppl with dps meter.

> @"Blaeys.3102" said:

> > >

>

>

Try to report them. Nothing will happen. Those legal documents are always stricter than reality so they have all options when they feel like it.

90%+ of the games population would be permanently banned by now if Anet would take everything in the legal documents literally and apply it with a zero tolerance policy.

> @"Susy.7529" said:

>

> > @"Samnang.1879" said:

> > improve your dps. why r some ppl content with being mediocre?

> > it's not toxic, for me, i always aim to improve myself and learn all the classes... why can't others do the same.

> Mmh, maybe, just maybe, it's because not every people think the same way...

If someone doesn't want to improve themselves and are content with their skill level the way it is, then why complain when others don't think they're suitable for a particular event/frac/boss?

If you want to stay the way you are, then you can't complain when others criticize your skill level.

Another case of "having the cake and eat it too".

> @"Samnang.1879" said:

> improve your dps. why r some ppl content with being mediocre?

> it's not toxic, for me, i always aim to improve myself and learn all the classes... why can't others do the same.

Obviously, that is good advice (albeit delivered provocatively). However, not everyone is on the same level, skill-wise. While that certainly doesn't excuse players who lack the ability (for whatever reason) from demanding that others carry their weight in high end content, neither does it give players a pass to treat others like dirt. That is the definition of "toxicity".

No matter which side of this debate you're on, there's no excuse for riding someone else's nuts in a pickup group for poor DPS. Back off. If the performance issues are causing the entire group to struggle, then politely explaining the situation should suffice. If the less-skilled player goes toxic and refuses to leave after that, then that's on them - /kick. Just be nice to each other. It doesn't cost you anything, while constantly sniping at people in party chat wastes your time and will likely cause the group to disband when you wipe!

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > Report so maybe anet banns use of it if enough

>

> You can report the behavior of people and the account owners will get punished, if appropriate. But the use of the DPS meter itself is neutral.

True, but anet has shown a willingness to act against the object if its users are sufficiently toxic to impact the game.

> @"Susy.7529" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > > Report so maybe anet banns use of it if enough

> >

> > You can report the behavior of people and the account owners will get punished, if appropriate. But the use of the DPS meter itself is neutral.

>

> Not exactly true, now with dps meters you can know exactly who's the black sheep(s) in a party and most of the time he/they will be kicked, in the old days when you didn't have enough dps as a squad you couldn't _exactly_ know who was the specific cause of it, so to succeed in that specific encounter you had either to leave the party and search for another better one or try to explain the content and get better together (I miss those times).

People used to /kick during the heyday of dungeons just because they saw you with the wrong weapon or you joined the party on the wrong prof. They didn't even wait for a problematic encounter. People who care that much about what other people are running don't need DPS meters to overreact; they do just fine with or without them.

So, again, the use of the DPS meter is neutral. It's what people do afterward that can be toxic and possibly report-worthy; depending on the situation, it can also result in accounts getting unwanted attention from ANet.

Or as phrased more colorfully by one of our fellow posters:

> @"AliamRationem.5172" said:

> No matter which side of this debate you're on, there's no excuse for riding someone else's nuts in a pickup group for poor DPS.