Remember

Remember saving orphans in the ruins of Lion's Arch?

Remember Aetherblades suddenly dropping out of the sky as you were crossing Kessex?

Remember the hammer train and SacRX (or any good WVW commander, really) screaming his lungs out?

There was a heady time when this game felt groundbreaking, original, "dynamic" even.

Does it still?

Don't get me wrong--It's not like I'm deleting my account and going back to wow.

Still, it feels like the best days are behind us.

Heck - these days I'd even take a bit of the old Queensdale champ train, just for the nostalgia.

So convince me I'm wrong. Or join me in remembering what was ----ing glorious about the days of old.

Remember that every single player who happened to not be here during Escape from Lion's Arch or Aetherblade attacks can't experience them now and can never experience them again. It was great for people who were here all along, who played every day. It was also pressure on people to show up and get those achievements because 2 weeks to a month later they couldn't get them. People would take vacations and miss out. They couldn't go back and finish stuff once it was gone. There were myriad complaints about that.

First time I did Dragon Stand was as good as that, with the proviso that I can do Dragon Stand again. Sure it was great having a living, breathing changing world, but if that stuff were still here and had been here all along, it would be like Octovine all over again. You'd have done it to death and it would be lost in the past. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

It was changed because of the vast number of complaints which you may not remember...but I do.

> @"franandlaura.1382" said:

> Remember saving orphans in the ruins of Lion's Arch?

>

> Remember Aetherblades suddenly dropping out of the sky as you were crossing Kessex?

>

> Remember the hammer train and SacRX (or any good WVW commander, really) screaming his lungs out?

>

> There was a heady time when this game felt groundbreaking, original, "dynamic" even.

>

> Does it still?

>

> Don't get me wrong--It's not like I'm deleting my account and going back to wow.

>

> Still, it feels like the best days are behind us.

>

> Heck - these days I'd even take a bit of the old Queensdale champ train, just for the nostalgia.

>

> So convince me I'm wrong. Or join me in remembering what was ----ing glorious about the days of old.

>

>

Those are some nice days.. :(

Even going on champ train ... Bounty hunter isn't the same idk why

Remember transmuting stats onto skins on a item per item basis?

Remember when 5 players failed an open world event for the whole map fo 120ish ppl that was only available for a limited amount of time?

Remember when players who had everything(or at least a lot of stuff already) raging at LvL3 chars in queensdale because only certain ppl are allowed to kill champs?

Remember when map completion required you to complete WvW maps and how well that worked out for everyone?

Don't get me wrong. I have fond memoriesof the LS1 events. Marionette was awesome but also tiring. The three LA releases were the best I think and I had great times with my guild farming the everloving kitten out of the event.. Still I think GW2 has moved on and things are overall better now.

I like to look forward on the things to come, instead of backward on things that passed but to each their own I guess ;)

>

> Remember Aetherblades suddenly dropping out of the sky as you were crossing Kessex?

>

> Remember the hammer train and SacRX (or any good WVW commander, really) screaming his lungs out?

>

> There was a heady time when this game felt groundbreaking, original, "dynamic" even.

>

> Does it still?

>

> Don't get me wrong--It's not like I'm deleting my account and going back to wow.

>

> Still, it feels like the best days are behind us.

>

> Heck - these days I'd even take a bit of the old Queensdale champ train, just for the nostalgia.

>

> So convince me I'm wrong. Or join me in remembering what was ----ing glorious about the days of old.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

I'm not going to convince you you're wrong. How could I? I never played the game prior to HoT. But I can tell you my impressions of core Tyria content haven't changed: Pretty, but fairly generic and boring environments, combat that doesn't allow an otherwise top-notch combat system (balancing aside) to stretch its wings at all, little reward and not much action, generally. That's how I viewed the core game from the start.

The expansions (especially HoT) are more my speed. The combat is much more challenging, which provides the requisite pressure to force players to adapt by delving into their toolkit. The environments are crazy and nearly awe-inspiring in their complexity. The action is all around you and easy to find. The big events are enjoyable and combined with the rewards keep me coming back again and again.

PoF brought us mounts, which are absolutely amazing in this game! The maps, while not as interesting as HoT layouts, still make a great playground for the new mounts. I dislike the move back toward a core Tyria-style event structure, but the bounty system has provided me with a lot of challenge-on-demand to keep me busy when I feel PoF is otherwise lacking a bit in action.

Maybe you don't feel the same way? Or maybe you're just remembering that new game smell? Who knows? I'm enjoying this game since signing on with the expansions.

nothing beats raiding, sorry. i was here during the lion's arch destruction thing and it didn't keep me in the game. but raiding does. also there was literally nothing to do back then besides speed running dungeon and i didn't like doing the same EASY content over and over. at least raid requires 1 brain cell of mine. nowadays i have specializations to play, mounts and gliding, it's so much more fun. GW2 has improved A LOT for me.

Both of those were before my time...

I do. And I have to say, I did then, and I do now, prefer commanders who are able to effectively lead a squad while keeping some decorum and using their humour and charisma to keep things friendly even when it all goes south, to those who constantly scream invective (at the other team when it goes well and at their own followers when it doesn't).

I do fondly remember blob smashing back before the stability nerfs and I wish the pirate ship meta had never happened.

> Does it still?

It does, to me. Every time I look at another MMO and do a quick comparison, I come out the other end convinced that, while ANET occasionally effs up the small (and sometimes medium) scale stuff, GW2 is still as great and original as it was back then.

Oh, heck no! The Queensdale champ train was a cesspit of toxicity and vitriol and was nerfed with good reason.

Bounty Trains do a passable job at imitating the old champ trains, IMO. Sadly, the community seems to generally view them as insufficiently rewarding and has mostly been doing legendary-only Bounty Trains as of late, and those are not the same a-tall, a-tall...

The content we have now isn't really any different to what we got in Season 1, the only difference is it's permanent so people have time to get bored with it and don't get the same sense of nostalgia because you can always go back and relive the good and bad aspects and remember _exactly_ how it is.

For example when the Vinewrath fight was first introduced to Silverwastes a lot of people praised it for being just like the Marionette fight from Season 1, except that a whole lane goes in to fight the boss instead of a few random people from each. The only difference is it's been around long enough that people learned how to do it easily and so it got boring. The first time I did it, about a month after it was released, we got a perfect run (no carriers lost, all bosses killed on the first try) and everyone was celebrating in map chat saying they didn't think that was possible and it was amazing to finally get a map where everyone knew exactly what to do (I stayed quiet about it being my first time). Now that's expected and people throw a fit if one carrier is lost and declare the entire map failed and full of bots/idiots if a boss isn't killed on the first attempt.

Personally having played at least a bit of every Season 1 release I much prefer what we have now. I think the content is better because Anet can spend more time working on it (we would never have gotten a new map with each release in S1). But also, because players don't need to blast through it all in 2 weeks they can also make harder or more in-depth content, stuff which takes multiple tries or a lot of exploration and investigation to solve.

Most importantly though I love that I can do it when it's convenient for me rather than whenever I can manage the time within the short period it's available. At the time I was working a job that meant I left home at 7:15am and got back at 7:10pm (on a good day) and often had to work weekends too. Add in family commitments and other hobbies and I often found I was having to plan things around GW2 to make sure I had time to do the activities and achievements I wanted before they were taken away again. It was a huge relief when Season 2 hit and I didn't have to do that any more. To this day I sometimes make a point of **not** playing a new release on the first day, just because I like that I don't have to jump in and start planning which bits I want to get done and how to do them ASAP.

I had some good times during Season 1, but I wouldn't go back to that for anything.

Honestly, sounds like your mind's already made up.

And GW2 doesn't have to be your main game. Get bored, come back when there's something fresh (every three months or so).

I swing by for dailies and go wander elsewhere if my guild's not up to much, so I don't exactly fault anyone else for doing other things with one's time.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> To this day I sometimes make a point of **not** playing a new release on the first day, just because I like that I don't have to jump in and start planning which bits I want to get done and how to do them ASAP.

I understand that, but I'm increasingly in favour (for myself) of diving in in full gung-ho mode so that I can't rely on the Wiki or Dulfyesque guides to help me through.

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> Remember that every single player who happened to not be here during Escape from Lion's Arch or Aetherblade attacks can't experience them now and can never experience them again.

You know - that's kind of what I liked about it. Not that I wanted a notch in my belt that other players didn't have. Heck, I easily missed half of season one playing other games. But I didn't mind that. The content updates created the feel of a world that was changing, fluid. Things were happening that_ might not happen again_ and that added a sort of excitement lacking in other games where the repetition of content was not only possible, but often required to obnoxious degrees--AKA the grind. The content updates kept the game consistently fresh and made the world seem larger somehow.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> It is great in hindsight, yes , but often ppl remember only the good things. Overall, what we have now is healthier and sustainable

I hear that. I can't imagine it was too good for the blood pressure, sleep habits, or marriages of the developers coming up with updates every two weeks. Still, I do miss that aspect of the game and I really feel that that, more than anything else, was what set it apart. New instanced content and new maps are cool, no doubt, but I'd like more to do in the vanilla zones than just stand around waiting for Teq.

> @"Gudy.3607" said:

> The Queensdale champ train was a cesspit of toxicity and vitriol and was nerfed with good reason.

I still see plenty of toxicity and vitriol. No matter the game type or zone.

But overall I see I'm in the minority here. And I agree GW2 is still better than anything else out there. Just wouldn't mind at all if the devs revisited some of those original ideas about a changing world where players' actions have real (or at lease cleverly simulated) impact.

As a new player, allow me to re-assure you that the game is still awesome. GW2 has a few deficiencies, like any MMO, but overall I'm very glad I decided to get into this game.

Of major note to me is just how much I enjoy leveling new characters. In previous MMOs I've played, like WoW, I hated questing, I hated the "go get me 10 of these" quests - I would spend all my time in dungeons just so I could skip to endgame and do better dungeons.

But in GW2, I have 2 LV80's , 4 characters between 10-30, and I still have my 2x LV80 boosts in the bank. I keep thinking I should use them, but at the same time, I don't want to miss the journey to 80.

And why 4 characters at 10-30? I've abandoned my 1st LV80 and made the 2nd one my 'main', but there is just so much content for me to do! I completed HoT this past weekend, and have started on LS3...but that still leaves me with PoF and LS4, not to mention completing achievements and masteries in HoT (specialization collections...drool).

I love dungeons (I'm in a great guild!), I love fractals, I love questing, meta events and world bosses! I 'enjoy WvW even if I'm not great at it, and I really like that even with 2 LV80s, I still have parts of the map that I haven't visited, and many a heart / hero point unclaimed.

My only major complaint with the game is that crafting is so major league unfun it I wish I didn't need to do it. Crafting in other games was always a side activity that paid rewards either through gear, toys, achievement or gold. But in order to do higher level fractals and reach the required AR, you must level crafting, and that is just a huge time and gold sink which yields little enjoyment.

So I sympathize with the OP, but at the same time, I want to re-assure them that while they may not be experiencing this game the way they used to, other new players like me are, so the magic isn't gone!

>

>

No, because I was still playing Guild Wars, and not Guild Wars 2 yet.

I'm a little slow, what can I say? :)

> > @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > Remember that every single player who happened to not be here during Escape from Lion's Arch or Aetherblade attacks can't experience them now and can never experience them again.

>

> You know - that's kind of what I liked about it. Not that I wanted a notch in my belt that other players didn't have. Heck, I easily missed half of season one playing other games. But I didn't mind that. The content updates created the feel of a world that was changing, fluid. Things were happening that_ might not happen again_ and that added a sort of excitement lacking in other games where the repetition of content was not only possible, but often required to obnoxious degrees--AKA the grind. The content updates kept the game consistently fresh and made the world seem larger somehow.

>

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > It is great in hindsight, yes , but often ppl remember only the good things. Overall, what we have now is healthier and sustainable

>

> I hear that. I can't imagine it was too good for the blood pressure, sleep habits, or marriages of the developers coming up with updates every two weeks. Still, I do miss that aspect of the game and I really feel that that, more than anything else, was what set it apart. New instanced content and new maps are cool, no doubt, but I'd like more to do in the vanilla zones than just stand around waiting for Teq.

>

> > @"Gudy.3607" said:

> > The Queensdale champ train was a cesspit of toxicity and vitriol and was nerfed with good reason.

>

> I still see plenty of toxicity and vitriol. No matter the game type or zone.

> But overall I see I'm in the minority here. And I agree GW2 is still better than anything else out there. Just wouldn't mind at all if the devs revisited some of those original ideas about a changing world where players' actions have real (or at lease cleverly simulated) impact.

>

>

The notch in your belt isn't really worth disadvantaging every single new player and every player who took a break at that time or couldn't be there. More to the point,. if a person took a year off, they'd come back to almost the same game. Why work on content that only stays up for 2 week or a month. That's crazy. It's a complete waste of resources, because it's done and gone. There are still people running dungeons and that's content to them. If the Aetherblade Dungeon was still in there, and the marionette, and the battle for lions arch and the nightmare tower, it would have been a lot more content to do during times like the content drought, keeping more people playing. Your individual I have this and you don't point of view might be good for you, but in my opinion it's terrible for the game. And what's good for the game is better for me. Again my opinion.