The next expansion should not be more expensive

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After the HoT debacle that was a complete PR failure, they did just fine with PoF. So hopefully they will still have that learning experience when doing the next expansion.

I am guessing that at some point, HoT will join GW2 for f2p and the only version you can buy is PoF and if you own that, you get bonuses or cheaper cost on Exp3 (which contain PoF version).

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> After the HoT debacle that was a complete PR failure, they did just fine with PoF. So hopefully they will still have that learning experience when doing the next expansion.

>

> I am guessing that at some point, HoT will join GW2 for f2p and the only version you can buy is PoF and if you own that, you get bonuses or cheaper cost on Exp3 (which contain PoF version).

maybe

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> After the HoT debacle that was a complete PR failure, they did just fine with PoF. So hopefully they will still have that learning experience when doing the next expansion.

>

> I am guessing that at some point, HoT will join GW2 for f2p and the only version you can buy is PoF and if you own that, you get bonuses or cheaper cost on Exp3 (which contain PoF version).

Hmm. For the next expansion, it would be much better for them to tie HoT free of charge with the purchase of the next expansion imo and offer PoF in the bundle with an extra cost of money.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > After the HoT debacle that was a complete PR failure, they did just fine with PoF. So hopefully they will still have that learning experience when doing the next expansion.

> >

> > I am guessing that at some point, HoT will join GW2 for f2p and the only version you can buy is PoF and if you own that, you get bonuses or cheaper cost on Exp3 (which contain PoF version).

>

> Hmm. For the next expansion, it would be much better for them to tie HoT free of charge with the purchase of the next expansion imo and offer PoF in the bundle with an extra cost of money.

then what about ppl who had bought Hot , did they just waste their money , u know it was complaint when ppl who bought the core game never got any benefits and when the expansion got out most of the features of the "core" game became free , and ppl who had the core game HAD TO AGAIN BUY THE EXPANSIONS LIKE F2P PLAYERS , so will, A.net still repeat history....

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

one thing ,u are mean, and i love gaming but my family just doesn't love the idea of it , they despise it and even i get A's in every subject they still dont allow me , for now i just game so i can escape the horrors of life till im independent

I'm guessing that there will be some expansion combo pack at some point, where you buy all the expansions and get your free core account converted to full benefits. Just like there's a pack to purchase the entirety of GW1. I would think it highly unlikely that any of the GW2 expansions will ever be free of charge or be sold at varying prices separately.

> @"NEOTHEGAMER.9824" said:

> > @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

>

> one thing ,u are mean, and i love gaming but my family just doesn't love the idea of it , they despise it and even i get A's in every subject they still dont allow me , for now i just game so i can escape the horrors of life till im independent

An opinion is not mean. It's not even personal, but a logical train of thought if you for some reason can't afford to buy the expansions at their current price.

It sucks that you don't have control over what you play and if you're even allowed to play it. Some parents are just blind to how things actually are and buy into the negative feedback games tend to get from that part of the population. Horrors of life? Sounds a bit dramatic, to be honest. Well, a lot more than a bit, actually. Unless you're sold into slavery or something of the sort. Somehow I highly doubt that. Just chill. Your time will come. Life isn't/won't always be the drama you perceive it to be. A sense of perspective goes a long way in this world.

> > They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

>

> one thing ,u are mean, and i love gaming but my family just doesn't love the idea of it , they despise it and even i get A's in every subject they still dont allow me , for now i just game so i can escape the horrors of life till im independent

Well than save up some money. Or wait till your birthday, whatever. You can't expect something to be cheap because you can't afford it (yet).

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> They should and will price it as they see fit. Not to be mean, but if you can't afford 30 bucks to play a game you shouldn't waste time gaming at all.

Ok, I'll bite. I couldn't currently afford to buy an expansion for a game. My husband lost his job in January so we've been living on just my salary and conservation doesn't pay well. We can afford what we need to get by but not a lot else, and already had a few holidays booked which are going to use up any spare cash we do have. Does that mean I shouldn't play GW2 - a game I already owned and which costs me absolutely nothing extra to keep playing? What am I supposed to do when I get home from work? Sit and stare at the wall and feel sad that I'm poor? Or am I supposed to try and get a second job (which I'd then quit as soon as he gets one again) and never see my family at all?

I understand saying that people shouldn't expect to get an expansion for less than retail price just because they can't afford what the developers want to charge for it. (Although there's a fine line between complaining that it's more than you can afford right now and stating that it's too expensive for what it is. I thought HoT was overpriced and said so at the time, even though I could easily afford it - and actually bought the Ultimate Edition because in my head that meant I could subtract £40 from the cost price for the cost of the gems, and end up paying what I'd expected for the Deluxe Edition.)

But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

Depends what they are giving us in the expansion as to whether or not it's worth the price (what ever the price is)

And considering we get an expansion every few years.. it's not like people can't save a £5 a month or every 2 months and be able to afford it when it comes out.

I'm assuming that like other people have said, it will be a similar price to PoF, which was cheaper than HoT. I think Anet learned their lesson after the mess that was the HoT announcement.

But I also agree that the price might depend on what's included. And what it's _worth_ will be different for each player. At the moment I'm not even sure I'd buy it at all, because I have no idea what's in it. It's unlikely but Anet could make an expansion I have zero interest in playing, and then I'm not going to have any reason to buy it. Or it might be mildly interesting but over priced for me (following on from my previous post I'm assuming I will have spare cash again by the time it's announced) and then I'll wait until I can get it on sale.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>

> Ok, I'll bite. I couldn't currently afford to buy an expansion for a game. My husband lost his job in January so we've been living on just my salary and conservation doesn't pay well. We can afford what we need to get by but not a lot else, and already had a few holidays booked which are going to use up any spare cash we do have. Does that mean I shouldn't play GW2 - a game I already owned and which costs me absolutely nothing extra to keep playing? What am I supposed to do when I get home from work? Sit and stare at the wall and feel sad that I'm poor? Or am I supposed to try and get a second job (which I'd then quit as soon as he gets one again) and never see my family at all?

>

> I understand saying that people shouldn't expect to get an expansion for less than retail price just because they can't afford what the developers want to charge for it. (Although there's a fine line between complaining that it's more than you can afford right now and stating that it's too expensive for what it is. I thought HoT was overpriced and said so at the time, even though I could easily afford it - and actually bought the Ultimate Edition because in my head that meant I could subtract £40 from the cost price for the cost of the gems, and end up paying what I'd expected for the Deluxe Edition.)

>

> But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

Well, if you read OP's posts, it's pretty obvious he/she is a teenager, still in school and living with their family/parents, who are apparently not a big a fan of computer games (to put it mildly). Hardly a similar situation. I'm guessing he/she is living off an allowance which is usually nowhere near a full paycheck. Coupled with the fact that parents don't like them playing games, it makes for a difficult but completely different situation compared to yours.. And no, it doesn't mean you shouldn't play GW2. But asking for expansions to be cheaper because you can't afford them at the moment is taking it a bit too far. ANet's first priority is to pay their employees and keep the game and company running, not cater to everyone's personal financial situation.

> I Know that A.net is right now developing the 3rd expansion , but i just want to say that it should at least cost little less for players who bought the both expansions

Why?

All players, new and old should get the same content for the same price if purchased at the same time. I understand how some people feel that ANet owes them something for being "loyal customers" but it's really the company's choice if they have a loyalty system or not.

IMO, there is a case for loyalty rewards perhaps for gem purchases as they are more frequent but not really for expansions. It's like returning to the same electronics store to purchase a new TV every few years and expecting them to give you a discount.

I'm completely in support of bundle deals for older content and it's understandable that as it ages it depreciates.

Consider that somebody purchasing HoT might get it cheaper but does not have any of the LW seasons unlocked without further payments.

> > @"flog.3485" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > After the HoT debacle that was a complete PR failure, they did just fine with PoF. So hopefully they will still have that learning experience when doing the next expansion.

> > >

> > > I am guessing that at some point, HoT will join GW2 for f2p and the only version you can buy is PoF and if you own that, you get bonuses or cheaper cost on Exp3 (which contain PoF version).

> >

> > Hmm. For the next expansion, it would be much better for them to tie HoT free of charge with the purchase of the next expansion imo and offer PoF in the bundle with an extra cost of money.

>

> then what about ppl who had bought Hot , did they just waste their money , u know it was complaint when ppl who bought the core game never got any benefits and when the expansion got out most of the features of the "core" game became free , and ppl who had the core game HAD TO AGAIN BUY THE EXPANSIONS LIKE F2P PLAYERS , so will, A.net still repeat history....

The price of what you paid in the past will always go down in the future, to the point of being worthwhile at some point.

Still I think it feels better to tie the content of an expansion to a purchase, no matter what amount of cash, than to straight up giving away an entire expansion for free to players who only had access to the core game beforehand.

Edit: I also would like to add that the full content of GW2 isn’t all comprised in the expansion purchase.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

>

> Ok, I'll bite. I couldn't currently afford to buy an expansion for a game. My husband lost his job in January so we've been living on just my salary and conservation doesn't pay well. We can afford what we need to get by but not a lot else, and already had a few holidays booked which are going to use up any spare cash we do have. Does that mean I shouldn't play GW2 - a game I already owned and which costs me absolutely nothing extra to keep playing? What am I supposed to do when I get home from work? Sit and stare at the wall and feel sad that I'm poor? Or am I supposed to try and get a second job (which I'd then quit as soon as he gets one again) and never see my family at all?

>

> I understand saying that people shouldn't expect to get an expansion for less than retail price just because they can't afford what the developers want to charge for it. (Although there's a fine line between complaining that it's more than you can afford right now and stating that it's too expensive for what it is. I thought HoT was overpriced and said so at the time, even though I could easily afford it - and actually bought the Ultimate Edition because in my head that meant I could subtract £40 from the cost price for the cost of the gems, and end up paying what I'd expected for the Deluxe Edition.)

>

> But I don't understand this thinking that if you can't afford to pay full price for an expansion pack/new game you shouldn't be playing ones you already own.

No offense, but to be honest, if you can't afford an expansion to a video game for $20, $30, $40 you have much, much bigger priorities in your life you really need to take care of before gaming.......

I lost my career job 7 years ago (I'm all better now) a month after my mom passed away, and my house went into foreclosure. I was homeless for a month living out of my own car as I struggled to find a new job. Gaming online was the absolute least of my problems as it should have been.

> @"Martimus.6027" said:

> How about, if you can't afford $40 for a game expansion, you have bigger priorities in your life that need to be taken care of besides gaming.

whats wrong in asking for lower price , im not asking 50 or 40% discount , but something minor like 5 or 10%, its not like im blackmailing them, im just giving them a possibility, its their choice , and do u want to spend 30 bucks when it could when less. and i mean ppl who bought both expansions.