Total Biscuit RIP

I just saw this myself. While I didn't view many of his videos and reviews, I can appreciate his passion for games and critiquing them. It's the same cancer that my mother and her mother died of, and it can be particularly aggressive. I hope he was able to get some measure of peace and comfort before he passed, and I hope his wife, friends and family can find some peace as they grieve their loss.

I’ve been playing Guild Wars since release and I remember stumbling onto TB’s video on Cataclysm Beta with the Worgen starting instance. I loved the video and was curious if anyone did this kinda stuff for GW, which led me right into Wooden Potatoes.

A tragedy, the guy had some real talent. Rest In Peace, TB.

> @"eyelogix.1654" said:

> Could ArenaNet possibly add a character of TB as a memory. He was kind of a big deal in the game industry imho.

>

> He made a video about this game as well before it was released, and needless to say. He did have an impact in most of the gamers lives through YouTube and Twitch.

Nah, I mean, I get he’s popular, but there are lots of people who fill that bill. And he wasn’t particularly active in the GW2 franchise.

Not out of disrespect, but I dont think a memorial for him would fit in gw2.

I can only think of WoodenPotatoes for being legible of a memorial should he ever pass.

> @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > I wonder if there will be any memorial planned in game?

> >

> > I understand the sentiment, but he's not part of GW2 community. He's general gaming journalist/youtuber.

>

> Well we have siege master dulfy in fractals, so why not

Because Dulfy is the most active GW2 community reporter, next only by WP, so yea.

And TB has too little attachment to gw2 to ‘qualify’

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > I wonder if there will be any memorial planned in game?

> > >

> > > I understand the sentiment, but he's not part of GW2 community. He's general gaming journalist/youtuber.

> >

> > Well we have siege master dulfy in fractals, so why not

>

> Because Dulfy is the most active GW2 community reporter, next only by WP, so yea.

> And TB has too little attachment to gw2 to ‘qualify’

True. You are right :)

Unlike many people, I found TotalBiscuit through GW2, and not the other way around. His channel had far and away the most complete coverage of GW2 beta shows, and he seemed really enthusiastic about the game before he got tired of MMOs entirely. I've been a fan of his ever since. I followed his various crusades in the name of consumers' and creators' rights and his harsh but fair criticisms of the gaming medium. I respected the hell out of the man as an entertainer, as an advocate, as a critic, and just in general. He was someone you could count on for honest, well-thought-out opinions and hard facts. That's super rare these days, especially among journalists and games journalists in particular. TB will be missed.

He no doubt had a big influence on this game's initial popularity, to the point where I'm a little surprised it took as long as it did for a thread like this to pop up. That said, I don't expect ANet to memorialize him the way they did with folks like Ravious or Oldroar. TB was never really part of our community post-beta after meeting, according to him, a "less than warm" welcome initially (which made no kitten sense to me, but the internet is the internet) and getting burned out on MMO's as a whole (which makes perfect sense). I would, however, be interested in any thoughts or comments folks at ANet might have... especially Ruby, as a fellow journalist.

(I would also point out that the Tophat skin was added after he requested one in an interview, and his suggestion of "an attack that punts a gnome at the opponent" may have partially inspired certain Story steps and Activities. As far as I know, these are unconfirmed references, so... grains of salt all around.)

> @"sokeenoppa.5384" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > I wonder if there will be any memorial planned in game?

> >

> > I understand the sentiment, but he's not part of GW2 community. He's general gaming journalist/youtuber.

>

> Well we have siege master dulfy in fractals, so why not

And Dulfy is literally the most if not the famous player in this game. Of course that's a big difference from a guy who recorded **only** the game during BETA.

Very sad news but he was not really apart of the GW2 Community.

Cancer is kitten, may he Rest in Peace. :expressionless: