Either tone down achievement rewards or raise the amount of achievements we can get

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.

> > Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

> >

>

> I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

What happened, out of curiosity?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.

> > > Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

> > >

> >

> > I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

>

> What happened, out of curiosity?

A user complained that said title gave out ap since they were a ap hunter and would probabely never be able to get said title, it then got removed.

Said user then turned around and wanted fractal god/godess to have a even bigger ap number since it took so much resources to accuire.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.

> > > > Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

> >

> > What happened, out of curiosity?

>

> A user complained that said title gave out ap since they were a ap hunter and would probabely never be able to get said title, it then got removed.

> Said user then turned around and wanted fractal god/godess to have a even bigger ap number since it took so much resources to accuire.

thats idiotic.

Every. Single. High end/insane number of resources/time title should give out AT LEAST 25AP in my opinion.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.

> > > > > Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

> > >

> > > What happened, out of curiosity?

> >

> > A user complained that said title gave out ap since they were a ap hunter and would probabely never be able to get said title, it then got removed.

> > Said user then turned around and wanted fractal god/godess to have a even bigger ap number since it took so much resources to accuire.

>

> thats idiotic.

> Every. Single. High end/insane number of resources/time title should give out AT LEAST 25AP in my opinion.

Yes, but that player is bad at pvp while his main competition on AP leaderboard actually plays pvp, so devs removed the reward for whole playerbase because of personal agenda of that player.

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"Auri.1365" said:

> > > If the cap would have been 30k AP, people who already have it would then complain they lost their reason to play and that the cap should be made higher.

> > > Then anet listen and the cap goes to 40k AP, then after people have reached this, people want more...and so on till one day it reaches the 60k AP we have now.

> > > So with setting it very high you won't have this discussions for a very long time and no dev time is required to change the cap again and again.

> >

> > Thing is, with the actual pace of releases, people will never reach more than 40k AP by the end of GW2. Not to mention 60k....

>

> Its like you dont even see beyond your own reason. The reason the AP gain is so low, is because there are no REWARDS beyong 44k atm!

It's like you don't even count that titles ARE rewards!

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"Perses.9683" said:

> > > > > Max Achievement isn’t meant to be reached ~~yet~~ and that’s okay.

> > > >

> > > > I fixed your message. It's indeed the point of my topic, it's not meant to be reached now **or ever** if things continue this way. So things must change sooner or later.

> > >

> > > You're a mad man. Why would anyone want to hit the max AP cap? It doesnt do anything then to remove alot of content for you. And if anyone were ever near the cap, I bet Anet would make it higher. Its only there to give out rewards for veteran players.

> >

> > Why making content if that content is not meant to be reached by any player? That sounds like total nonsense to me. I know that having a goal to reach is nice but that goal must be reached eventually.

>

> Not in MMOs if that goal is to finish the game. As soon as you do everything, more gets added. The goal should be to continue, not to end.

It will eventually end, like gw1, gw2 can't last forever.

> @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > @"Perses.9683" said:

> > > > > > > Max Achievement isn’t meant to be reached ~~yet~~ and that’s okay.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I fixed your message. It's indeed the point of my topic, it's not meant to be reached now **or ever** if things continue this way. So things must change sooner or later.

> > > > >

> > > > > You're a mad man. Why would anyone want to hit the max AP cap? It doesnt do anything then to remove alot of content for you. And if anyone were ever near the cap, I bet Anet would make it higher. Its only there to give out rewards for veteran players.

> > > >

> > > > Why making content if that content is not meant to be reached by any player? That sounds like total nonsense to me. I know that having a goal to reach is nice but that goal must be reached eventually.

> > >

> > > Not in MMOs if that goal is to finish the game. As soon as you do everything, more gets added. The goal should be to continue, not to end.

> >

> > Perhaps, but individual goals should be able to be finished. The continuation should be about setting new goals to be attained. Imagine wanting a certain six piece armor set. You get halfway through earning it and the devs double the cost for the remaining pieces. As you get close to the next piece the cost is increased by an order of magnitude. Never finishing that goal is a source of frustration. Adding a new armor set to be pursued after you have finished acquiring the previous one is how you keep things continuing.

>

> Getting to max achievement points is more of a final goal, since everything gives you points. What is the next goal after completing that? To do that would require most of the achievements to be finished, there would be no goal after that.

getting max rank in WvW.

winning a sPvP tournament

getting all legendary gear for all characters

getting whatever new armor set comes out

learning to solo fractals

becoming a respected commander in WvW.

accumulating 10,000 gold.

accumulating 100,000 gold.

The list is potentially endless, all representing goals one could set after maxing AP.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Klowdy.3126" said:

> > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Perses.9683" said:

> > > > > > > > Max Achievement isn’t meant to be reached ~~yet~~ and that’s okay.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I fixed your message. It's indeed the point of my topic, it's not meant to be reached now **or ever** if things continue this way. So things must change sooner or later.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You're a mad man. Why would anyone want to hit the max AP cap? It doesnt do anything then to remove alot of content for you. And if anyone were ever near the cap, I bet Anet would make it higher. Its only there to give out rewards for veteran players.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why making content if that content is not meant to be reached by any player? That sounds like total nonsense to me. I know that having a goal to reach is nice but that goal must be reached eventually.

> > > >

> > > > Not in MMOs if that goal is to finish the game. As soon as you do everything, more gets added. The goal should be to continue, not to end.

> > >

> > > Perhaps, but individual goals should be able to be finished. The continuation should be about setting new goals to be attained. Imagine wanting a certain six piece armor set. You get halfway through earning it and the devs double the cost for the remaining pieces. As you get close to the next piece the cost is increased by an order of magnitude. Never finishing that goal is a source of frustration. Adding a new armor set to be pursued after you have finished acquiring the previous one is how you keep things continuing.

> >

> > Getting to max achievement points is more of a final goal, since everything gives you points. What is the next goal after completing that? To do that would require most of the achievements to be finished, there would be no goal after that.

>

> getting max rank in WvW.

> winning a sPvP tournament

> getting all legendary gear for all characters

> getting whatever new armor set comes out

> learning to solo fractals

> becoming a respected commander in WvW.

> accumulating 10,000 gold.

> accumulating 100,000 gold.

>

> The list is potentially endless, all representing goals one could set after maxing AP.

Doesn't matter that all these arbitrary goals can be set for yourself. Once the game no longer gives you the message and points for something it starts to feel unrewarding. I can understand not wanting to continue at that point. Psychological thing in there. Same with maxing out luck. It's super unimportant but once you realize every single luck point you get will be essentially wasted you feel a lot worse about it existing.

I don't remember the Devs stating there is a max AP cap. Just because, so far, that's all that's been found in the files doesn't mean there's a cap.

If the game is still up and running when a good portion of players, or even 1 players, hits 60K, I'm sure more tiers will be added. Probably, long before, in fact.

The Devs have never, to my knowledge, talked about AP caps, at all, even though the topic comes up now and then. I'm guessing they like the way it's being handled. /shrug

(I do wish the Daily AP cap would be removed; that certainly plays a part in me not logging in every day, now.)

Let's do some math:

Top player has 37758 achievement points, meaning they need 2442 more to get to 40k

Heart of Thorns gave us 235 achievement points

LS3 gave us 643 achievement points in the story journal or 107.2 per episode

5 Tradesman achievement points

56 Explorer achievement points

110 Shatterer achievement points

22 Mastery Insight achievement points

185 Specialization achievement points

439 Side Stories achievement points

477 Year of the Ascension achievement points

80 PVP Conqueror achievement points (Revenant)

460 Raid achievement points

88 Fractals of the Mists achievement points

35 Nightmare Fractal achievement points

35 Shattered Observatory achievement points

18 Legendary Armor achievement points

31 Legendary Trinket achievement points

95 Basic Collection achievement points

46 Rare Collection achievement points

74 SAB Collection achievement points

Grand total after Heart of Thorns: 3135 achievement points

Festivals 371+ AP (missing some):

Wintersday 2015: 193

Wintersday 2016: ???

Lunar New Year 2016: 109

Lunar New Year 2017: 69

Path of Fire gave us 159 story achievement points

LS4 gave us 255 achievement points so far or 127 per episode

48 Slayer achievement points

2 Tradesman achievement points

25 Explorer achievement points

60 Sunken Treasure Hunter achievement points

40 Mastery Insights achievement points

135 Specialization achievement points

468 PVP Map achievement points (I'm not sure exactly when Revenge of Capricorn / Eternal Coliseum rewards were added, but I think it was after Path of Fire)

15 PVP Conqueror achievement points

115 Raid achievement points

15 Twilight Oasis achievement points

40 Basic Collection achievement points (Path of Fire + Lunatic Court)

90 Rare Collection achievement points

9 Legendary Trinket achievement points

Grand total as of episode 2: 1476 achievement point points

Festivals:

Halloween 2017: ???

Wintersday 2017: ???

Including festivals, we get about 3.5k achievement points every 2 years. It will take the top player approximately 6 years to reach 60k Achievement Points at the Heart of Thorns pace, we'll see once LS4 finishes if Path of Fire will have more or less achievement points total.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> Let's do some math:

> Top player has 37758 achievement points, meaning they need 2442 more to get to 40k

>

> Heart of Thorns gave us 235 achievements

> LS3 gave us 643 achievements in the story journal or 107.2 per episode

> 5 Tradesman achievements

> 56 Explorer achievements

> 110 Shatterer achievements

> 22 Mastery Insight achievements

> 185 Specialization achievements

> 439 Side Stories achievements

> 477 Year of the Ascension achievements

> 80 PVP Conqueror achievements (Revenant)

> 460 Raid achievements

> 88 Fractals of the Mists achievements

> 35 Nightmare Fractal achievements

> 35 Shattered Observatory achievements

> 18 Legendary Armor achievements

> 31 Legendary Trinket achievements

> 95 Basic Collection achievements

> 46 Rare Collection achievements

> 74 SAB Collection achievements

> Grand total after Heart of Thorns: 3135 achievement points

> Festivals 371+ AP (missing some):

> Wintersday 2015: 193

> Wintersday 2016: ???

> Lunar New Year 2016: 109

> Lunar New Year 2017: 69

>

> Path of Fire gave us 159 story achievements

> LS4 gave us 255 achievements so far or 127 per episode

> 48 Slayer achievements

> 2 Tradesman achievement

> 25 Explorer achievements

> 60 Sunken Treasure Hunter achievements

> 40 Mastery Insights achievements

> 135 Specialization achievements

> 468 PVP Map achievements (I'm not sure exactly when Revenge of Capricorn / Eternal Coliseum rewards were added, but I think it was after Path of Fire)

> 15 PVP Conqueror achievements

> 115 Raid achievements

> 15 Twilight Oasis achievements

> 40 Basic Collection achievements (Path of Fire + Lunatic Court)

> 90 Rare Collection achievements

> 9 Legendary Trinket achievements

> Grand total as of episode 2: 1476 achievement points

> Festivals:

> Halloween 2017: ???

> Wintersday 2017: ???

>

> Including festivals, we get about 3.5k achievement points every 2 years. It will take the top player approximately 6 years to reach 60k Achievement Points at the Heart of Thorns pace, we'll see once LS4 finishes if Path of Fire will have more or less achievement points total.

Why are you counting achivements and not AP in total you get from them? Thats kind of arbitrary tbh.

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > Let's do some math:

> > Top player has 37758 achievement points, meaning they need 2442 more to get to 40k

> >

> > Heart of Thorns gave us 235 achievements

> > LS3 gave us 643 achievements in the story journal or 107.2 per episode

> > 5 Tradesman achievements

> > 56 Explorer achievements

> > 110 Shatterer achievements

> > 22 Mastery Insight achievements

> > 185 Specialization achievements

> > 439 Side Stories achievements

> > 477 Year of the Ascension achievements

> > 80 PVP Conqueror achievements (Revenant)

> > 460 Raid achievements

> > 88 Fractals of the Mists achievements

> > 35 Nightmare Fractal achievements

> > 35 Shattered Observatory achievements

> > 18 Legendary Armor achievements

> > 31 Legendary Trinket achievements

> > 95 Basic Collection achievements

> > 46 Rare Collection achievements

> > 74 SAB Collection achievements

> > Grand total after Heart of Thorns: 3135 achievement points

> > Festivals 371+ AP (missing some):

> > Wintersday 2015: 193

> > Wintersday 2016: ???

> > Lunar New Year 2016: 109

> > Lunar New Year 2017: 69

> >

> > Path of Fire gave us 159 story achievements

> > LS4 gave us 255 achievements so far or 127 per episode

> > 48 Slayer achievements

> > 2 Tradesman achievement

> > 25 Explorer achievements

> > 60 Sunken Treasure Hunter achievements

> > 40 Mastery Insights achievements

> > 135 Specialization achievements

> > 468 PVP Map achievements (I'm not sure exactly when Revenge of Capricorn / Eternal Coliseum rewards were added, but I think it was after Path of Fire)

> > 15 PVP Conqueror achievements

> > 115 Raid achievements

> > 15 Twilight Oasis achievements

> > 40 Basic Collection achievements (Path of Fire + Lunatic Court)

> > 90 Rare Collection achievements

> > 9 Legendary Trinket achievements

> > Grand total as of episode 2: 1476 achievement points

> > Festivals:

> > Halloween 2017: ???

> > Wintersday 2017: ???

> >

> > Including festivals, we get about 3.5k achievement points every 2 years. It will take the top player approximately 6 years to reach 60k Achievement Points at the Heart of Thorns pace, we'll see once LS4 finishes if Path of Fire will have more or less achievement points total.

>

> Why are you counting achivements and not AP in total you get from them? Thats kind of arbitrary tbh.

When I say Achievements I mean AP. It's the total AP you gain, not the number of achievements.

Edit: Changed it to add the word "points" everywhere to clear any misunderstanding

> > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > Let's do some math:

> > > Top player has 37758 achievement points, meaning they need 2442 more to get to 40k

> > >

> > > Heart of Thorns gave us 235 achievements

> > > LS3 gave us 643 achievements in the story journal or 107.2 per episode

> > > 5 Tradesman achievements

> > > 56 Explorer achievements

> > > 110 Shatterer achievements

> > > 22 Mastery Insight achievements

> > > 185 Specialization achievements

> > > 439 Side Stories achievements

> > > 477 Year of the Ascension achievements

> > > 80 PVP Conqueror achievements (Revenant)

> > > 460 Raid achievements

> > > 88 Fractals of the Mists achievements

> > > 35 Nightmare Fractal achievements

> > > 35 Shattered Observatory achievements

> > > 18 Legendary Armor achievements

> > > 31 Legendary Trinket achievements

> > > 95 Basic Collection achievements

> > > 46 Rare Collection achievements

> > > 74 SAB Collection achievements

> > > Grand total after Heart of Thorns: 3135 achievement points

> > > Festivals 371+ AP (missing some):

> > > Wintersday 2015: 193

> > > Wintersday 2016: ???

> > > Lunar New Year 2016: 109

> > > Lunar New Year 2017: 69

> > >

> > > Path of Fire gave us 159 story achievements

> > > LS4 gave us 255 achievements so far or 127 per episode

> > > 48 Slayer achievements

> > > 2 Tradesman achievement

> > > 25 Explorer achievements

> > > 60 Sunken Treasure Hunter achievements

> > > 40 Mastery Insights achievements

> > > 135 Specialization achievements

> > > 468 PVP Map achievements (I'm not sure exactly when Revenge of Capricorn / Eternal Coliseum rewards were added, but I think it was after Path of Fire)

> > > 15 PVP Conqueror achievements

> > > 115 Raid achievements

> > > 15 Twilight Oasis achievements

> > > 40 Basic Collection achievements (Path of Fire + Lunatic Court)

> > > 90 Rare Collection achievements

> > > 9 Legendary Trinket achievements

> > > Grand total as of episode 2: 1476 achievement points

> > > Festivals:

> > > Halloween 2017: ???

> > > Wintersday 2017: ???

> > >

> > > Including festivals, we get about 3.5k achievement points every 2 years. It will take the top player approximately 6 years to reach 60k Achievement Points at the Heart of Thorns pace, we'll see once LS4 finishes if Path of Fire will have more or less achievement points total.

> >

> > Why are you counting achivements and not AP in total you get from them? Thats kind of arbitrary tbh.

>

> When I say Achievements I mean AP. It's the total AP you gain, not the number of achievements.

>

> Edit: Changed it to add the word "points" everywhere to clear any misunderstanding

Oh sorry I misread your whole post, my fault!

I have been keeping count on the total AP since HoT too, and its surely a huge disappointment every time a new episode come out and its about 100-140 AP per 3 months.

Tbh, for anyone that has hit the Daily AP cap, AP is kind of arbitrary, even expansions have a limit to not that much over 1k.

First, I forgot to add the 228 Achievements from the Legendary Weapon journeys that were added with Heart of Thorns

Also the 45 Specialization collection achievements from Heart of Thorns (includes the Mistward heavy armor set).

Then the 27 Specialization collection achievements from Path of Fire

Heart of Thorns: 3408

Path of Fire (as of now): 1503

Time to go a bit further back now.

LS2:

548 Story Journal AP

229 Silverwastes AP

114 Dry Top AP

110 Collection AP

LS2 total: 1001 AP

Let's find out the AP total of LS1 now:

25 Seasonal AP

474 Super Adventure Box AP

3426 Historical AP

246 Retired AP

100 Twilight Assault AP

135 Triple Trouble AP

116 Tequatl AP

115 Bosses AP

4637 AP

There are 891 collection achievement points if we subtract the 141 from Heart of Thorns and the 130 from Path of Fire, we get 620 bringing the total of LS1 to 5257 AP Achievement Points from October 2012 (first content update) to May 2014 (end of LS1)

In the 19 months of LS1 we got 5257 AP, 277 AP per month

In the 7 months of LS2, we got 1001 AP, 143 AP per month

In the 23 months of Heart of Thorns, we got 3408 AP, 148 AP per month

In the 9 months of Path of Fire, we got 1503, 167 AP per month

Note: I'm not counting the Festivals here. Arenanet named some of them the same "Shadow of the Mad King" for example, making it really hard, if not impossible, to tell which part of achievements is from which year. Some have a year included but I think it wouldn't be fair to include only those. If anyone has the Festival totals per year I'll include them to the totals. For anyone interested, there is a total of 1398 AP from ALL Festivals.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > you know AP distribution lacks any reason behind it when you get 25 AP for kneeling before Pale Tree and 0 AP for getting God of PvP title.

> > > > Blame a certain known achiever for that last one.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I absolutely do. But even if we ignore his involvment, most "special snowflake" pvp title was 10 AP only if I recall correctly.

> >

> > What happened, out of curiosity?

>

> A user complained that said title gave out ap since they were a ap hunter and would probabely never be able to get said title, it then got removed.

> Said user then turned around and wanted fractal god/godess to have a even bigger ap number since it took so much resources to accuire.

Having an AP leaderboard at all was a terrible idea, IMO. If there was no AP leaderboard then there wouldn't have to be a Daily Cap, for example, and things like whining to get AP removed off a title wouldn't happen.

I just think that daily cap should be increased a bit every year, maybe by 1000 points ? Maybe more, but not too much.

Achievments realy need another look at, there are way too many that give too little points (1ap) which could easily be at least 5, and some which just give way too much, mainly ls1 meta achievments rewarding 50ap and such, though i dont mind that ;)

Anyone has any idea what the hellfire infusion might be ? Possibly a reward after the backpieces (48k ap) ?

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> Having an AP leaderboard at all was a terrible idea, IMO. If there was no AP leaderboard then there wouldn't have to be a Daily Cap, for example, and things like whining to get AP removed off a title wouldn't happen.

Having a leaderboard or not doesn't change the need for a daily cap. The daily cap exists because AP rewards is an infinite reward track, infinite reward tracks need capped acquisition too. If they did not have a cap then every player that joins later in the game's history won't ever get access to some of the rewards. This is terrible reward design and the reason caps exist.

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > Having an AP leaderboard at all was a terrible idea, IMO. If there was no AP leaderboard then there wouldn't have to be a Daily Cap, for example, and things like whining to get AP removed off a title wouldn't happen.

>

> Having a leaderboard or not doesn't change the need for a daily cap. The daily cap exists because AP rewards is an infinite reward track, infinite reward tracks need capped acquisition too. If they did not have a cap then every player that joins later in the game's history won't ever get access to some of the rewards. This is terrible reward design and the reason caps exist.

Yeah, one of the primary reasons given for the cap in the past was to give new players a chance to "catch up" with veteran players on the Leaderboard. This is nonsense, of course, as those new players can never catch up with early veterans that are still playing because the new player missed LS1 and all the AP there. Turning APs into a competition was a terrible idea to begin with.

The Achievement Rewards Track ends at 60,000 AP either way and it's a heck of a lot easier for new players (and veterans) to get close to that if they're not capped at 15,000 daily points.