Your Deadliest Enemy?

Just something I thought about while playing on Siren's Landing..

What is the deadliest enemy (to you) ?

For me it's gotta be the Magma Elementals in Balthazar's Reliquary and the Putrid Broodmother during the Shrine event. The former because they just maul you down relentlessly while being tanky as hell, pumping out burning and high damage constantly. The latter because this thing is a legit one shot machine. The poison "trail" that is more like an aoe of instant death for anybody in melee range combined with a frontal.. flailing attack? The animation is weird, but it one shots my warrior every time. The map was definitely designed with the map's mechanics in mindk, which just doesn't really work out if there aren't enough people around to actually use the different songs

So what are some enemies that absolutely tear you guys apart?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, the canids. I remember going to great lengths in another thread about why exactly so many of the PoF enemies are obnoxious and perhaps even poorly designed at times. Canids are one of the biggest offenders, exactly because they have absolute zero tells and little you can do against them

For me at least, Canids aren't the worst as long as you don't ignore them, and pocket raptors and rolling devils can be dealt with once you know their attack patterns. The enemies I hate the most are Awakened Abominations, and Bristlebacks. The abominations just seem to pump out tons of damage, and I have yet to figure out which attack I need to avoid to mitigate that. If I'm ever forced to deal with them, like fending off troublemakers at the necropolis, I usually just try to lure everyone else to the other side of the room and hope the other enemies respawn before I have to deal with him. For bristlebacks of anything vet or above, if I don't have a stealth or reflect on my bar, it's really tough to take one down in a straight-up brawl in open ground. It seems to be a simple question of can I break agro or block/reflect projectiles on command. They can fire off hard hitting attacks in quick succession, enough that you'll run out of blocks/dodges before they run out of steam unless you can get out of there. High-ranked smokescales hit about as hard, but you can avoid the worst with a well-timed doge and careful positioning.

> @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> For me at least, Canids aren't the worst as long as you don't ignore them, and pocket raptors and rolling devils can be dealt with once you know their attack patterns. The enemies I hate the most are Awakened Abominations, and Bristlebacks. The abominations just seem to pump out tons of damage, and I have yet to figure out which attack I need to avoid to mitigate that. If I'm ever forced to deal with them, like fending off troublemakers at the necropolis, I usually just try to lure everyone else to the other side of the room and hope the other enemies respawn before I have to deal with him. For bristlebacks of anything vet or above, if I don't have a stealth or reflect on my bar, it's really tough to take one down in a straight-up brawl in open ground. It seems to be a simple question of can I break agro or block/reflect projectiles on command. They can fire off hard hitting attacks in quick succession, enough that you'll run out of blocks/dodges before they run out of steam unless you can get out of there. High-ranked smokescales hit about as hard, but you can avoid the worst with a well-timed doge and careful positioning.

I was suuuper frustrated with Bristlebacks until I started farming Treasure Mushrooms. The one in Auric Basin is basically in Bristleback City. I learned to avoid their stupid attack, all you have to do is walk to the side until they finally stop lmao

Path of Fire harpies, especially in the Highlands. Those things are brutal, more so if you have to fight them in a small space eg atop a pillar by a vista. I've gotten decent at dealing with them but nothing else has wrecked me so hard in a long time, not since the early pre-nerf-pre-learning-curve HoT.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > For me at least, Canids aren't the worst as long as you don't ignore them, and pocket raptors and rolling devils can be dealt with once you know their attack patterns. The enemies I hate the most are Awakened Abominations, and Bristlebacks. The abominations just seem to pump out tons of damage, and I have yet to figure out which attack I need to avoid to mitigate that. If I'm ever forced to deal with them, like fending off troublemakers at the necropolis, I usually just try to lure everyone else to the other side of the room and hope the other enemies respawn before I have to deal with him. For bristlebacks of anything vet or above, if I don't have a stealth or reflect on my bar, it's really tough to take one down in a straight-up brawl in open ground. It seems to be a simple question of can I break agro or block/reflect projectiles on command. They can fire off hard hitting attacks in quick succession, enough that you'll run out of blocks/dodges before they run out of steam unless you can get out of there. High-ranked smokescales hit about as hard, but you can avoid the worst with a well-timed doge and careful positioning.

>

> I was suuuper frustrated with Bristlebacks until I started farming Treasure Mushrooms. The one in Auric Basin is basically in Bristleback City. I learned to avoid their stupid attack, all you have to do is walk to the side until they finally stop lmao

Is ... is... is this real? That works? They are the one HoT enemy I have not worked out yet. I am no longer in fear of the raptors, or the mushrooms, or anything else other than the dang bristlebacks. I swear I tried this -- well, dodging to the side anyway -- and it didn't work, but next time I'm gonna try it and see!

PoF Harpies are nasty, but you can cull them slowly, one by one, starting from the casters to be in the sure side. They are slow anyway, so kiting them is easy. Canids seems to be very fast and invisible and invulnerable a lot of the time, and not very predictable. This is what makes me so afraid of them.

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:

> > > For me at least, Canids aren't the worst as long as you don't ignore them, and pocket raptors and rolling devils can be dealt with once you know their attack patterns. The enemies I hate the most are Awakened Abominations, and Bristlebacks. The abominations just seem to pump out tons of damage, and I have yet to figure out which attack I need to avoid to mitigate that. If I'm ever forced to deal with them, like fending off troublemakers at the necropolis, I usually just try to lure everyone else to the other side of the room and hope the other enemies respawn before I have to deal with him. For bristlebacks of anything vet or above, if I don't have a stealth or reflect on my bar, it's really tough to take one down in a straight-up brawl in open ground. It seems to be a simple question of can I break agro or block/reflect projectiles on command. They can fire off hard hitting attacks in quick succession, enough that you'll run out of blocks/dodges before they run out of steam unless you can get out of there. High-ranked smokescales hit about as hard, but you can avoid the worst with a well-timed doge and careful positioning.

> >

> > I was suuuper frustrated with Bristlebacks until I started farming Treasure Mushrooms. The one in Auric Basin is basically in Bristleback City. I learned to avoid their stupid attack, all you have to do is walk to the side until they finally stop lmao

>

> Is ... is... is this real? That works? They are the one HoT enemy I have not worked out yet. I am no longer in fear of the raptors, or the mushrooms, or anything else other than the dang bristlebacks. I swear I tried this -- well, dodging to the side anyway -- and it didn't work, but next time I'm gonna try it and see!

I couldn't believe it either how simple it is. I usually use Q and E to walk to the sides instead of A D

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> Of all the areas I traveled, Orr is home to the most vicious and deadly creature you can come across. This thing can easily 1-shot entire parties and has probably slaughtered more unwary adventurers than the Mouth of Zhaitan. Champion Risen Drake Broodmother

>

>

for the longest time the monster with the most player kill was just a plain old risen, cant remember which variant, think it was one of the casters though.

Harpies(POF ones on my ele), Canids on anything, and fucking smokescales for some reason i have more trouble with them than i do just about everything else.