How important are specific builds?

I was reading a thread in General called "PoF Intro Mission Impossible to Solo. What's up with the Difficulty Spike?" https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/44477/pof-intro-mission-impossible-to-solo-whats-up-with-the-difficulty-spike

The OP was having trouble with the intro mission, and the advice from a number of posters was that you have to have this build or that stat or these specific pieces with those numbers, etc.

It all got really confusing and detailed.

I'm really not that kind of player.

Is GW2 really such an involved game that a super casual person can't just go along, get gear from quests and such with what appears to be higher numbers, and go to it?

Or am I going to need a spreadsheet and blueprints on boss mechanics to just barely survive?

I don't see why your choice of build should matter that much. For solo pve play, you should be fine with pretty much any build you choose unless you are wilfully making it as crappy as you can. However, you shouldn't expect an easy time of story missions if you have under-level gear, lack the knowledge of how to play your class, or have a really poor arrangement of specializations (or haven't selected any). Even if you do though, it may be hard but not impossible. Other than the thread you refer to, I've never heard of anyone saying that first PoF mission was too hard.

Yeah I suggest dont follow specific guides if you want to just casually enjoy the game. Read suggestions, learn your class skills and build your own gameplay and you'll be fine.

Also I struggled a little in Sparkling the Flame because I just reached Lv 80 and a *** pop up alert prompting me to unlock masteries was annoying the heck out of me back then, so I tried it when I was still unexperienced. But after some weeks, I got exotic equipment and afterwards I tried again and it was pretty much a walk in the park.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> I don't see why your choice of build should matter that much. For solo pve play, you should be fine with pretty much any build you choose unless you are wilfully making it as crappy as you can. However, you shouldn't expect an easy time of story missions if you have under-level gear, lack the knowledge of how to play your class, or have a really poor arrangement of specializations (or haven't selected any). Even if you do though, it may be hard but not impossible. Other than the thread you refer to, I've never heard of anyone saying that first PoF mission was too hard.

>

I totally agree with this sentiment.

GW2, in casual solo pve play, really is easy enough to allow for build diversity.

The trick is to actually put _some_ thought into it, instead of going for a completely random hodgepodge of gear and traits. For instance, if you like condition damage, you'd want to make sure you pick some traits that help you dish out more of that, as well as weapons that apply conditions.

And no, you don't need nearly the amount of information overload suggested by "spreadsheet and blueprints of boss mechanics" to make a successful solo build. Just read the traits, ability descriptions, and weapon ability descriptions and keep in mind that you want them all to work together on some level.

I easily survived the first phases of the new episode on a full glass cannon berserker build, it's not that hard.

> @"Faline.8795" said:

> I was reading a thread in General called "PoF Intro Mission Impossible to Solo. What's up with the Difficulty Spike?" https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/44477/pof-intro-mission-impossible-to-solo-whats-up-with-the-difficulty-spike

>

> The OP was having trouble with the intro mission, and the advice from a number of posters was that you have to have this build or that stat or these specific pieces with those numbers, etc.

>

> It all got really confusing and detailed.

>

> I'm really not that kind of player.

>

> Is GW2 really such an involved game that a super casual person can't just go along, get gear from quests and such with what appears to be higher numbers, and go to it?

>

> Or am I going to need a spreadsheet and blueprints on boss mechanics to just barely survive?

In that particular thread, the issue was that a player skipped to the PoF story after leveling to 80. That is skipping a ton of content and as a result he was both woefully undergeared and really didn't understand basic mechanics.

If you work your way through content in sequence, most players won't have these issues.

Having said that, there's no way to outgear content in gw2, so if you're struggling you need to consider mechanics, build, strategy, etc. Or it will never get easier for you.

> @"Faline.8795" said:

> I was reading a thread in General called "PoF Intro Mission Impossible to Solo. What's up with the Difficulty Spike?" https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/44477/pof-intro-mission-impossible-to-solo-whats-up-with-the-difficulty-spike

>

> The OP was having trouble with the intro mission, and the advice from a number of posters was that you have to have this build or that stat or these specific pieces with those numbers, etc.

>

> It all got really confusing and detailed.

>

> I'm really not that kind of player.

>

> Is GW2 really such an involved game that a super casual person can't just go along, get gear from quests and such with what appears to be higher numbers, and go to it?

>

> Or am I going to need a spreadsheet and blueprints on boss mechanics to just barely survive?

Honestly, this is one of the most solo/casual friendly games I have played. The problem is sometimes new players see the builds on Snow Crows and Metabattle and think they "need" that specific ascended set for open world story/quests. Then they get frustrated because they are dying. The first thing I learned to accept about this game, is death. This game has a downed state for a reason and you die ALOT in this game when compared to other games. The second thing I learned to accept was that you can't outgear this game so sometimes, you need more than 1 gear set. I have 1 for WvW, 1 for Raids/Fractals and a DPS set I run about in for WBs etc (I play Druid heals but flip to Soulbeast sometimes)

What I tell every new player that I have helped while in game is to ignore the "meta builds" for raids etc when you are learning and/or just running the stories. All you need is a good exotic set of toughness and vitality gear for survivability (Soldiers and/or Dire for Condi are cheap on the TP) with DPS runes (scholar or strength for power builds/berserker for Condi but there are others as well). So don't worry about meta builds while learning and instead, save yourself some grief and go with Soldiers or Dire but but get the runes, build and some of the utilities for your professions. This way you will start to learn the "raid" rotation of skills but still survive. The hardest part about POF intro is the condi iirc that does require the player to use a heal with a cleanse or cleanse abilities and resistance as well as dodge.

yes, PoF contents are much more punishing, the issue is the core does not teach you how to play your class, it just let players do whatever they like

i.e. dodge tutorial is out in the open world, i only ran into one with my second toon

it would be better if anet worked the basic character control tutorials into story instances, and make dungeon story modes to be a mandatory progression through the core story as it teaches many mechanics and tactics against difficult foes

Is "a spreadsheet and blueprints" necessary? **No. Far from it.**

Can I get through content without bothering at all with gear and traits? Nope, you'll get flattened.

You need to create a coherent build for your character, but there's *a lot* of room for variation and experimenting if you aren't min-maxing every last drop of DPS.

Basically, you only have to make sure your weapons, stats and traits *all pull in the same direction*. Don't use a weapon dealing most of its damage via Conditions while only a few pieces of gear give the stat Condition Damage and none of your traits interact with conditions.

Also, gear is easy to get up to Exotic - make sure to have a full set of both weapon, armor and trinkets that are exotic quality (or better) with a coherent stat set (doesn't have to be the same across all of it, just pulling in the same direction) before starting expansion content.

> @"crepuscular.9047" said:

> i.e. dodge tutorial is out in the open world, i only ran into one with my second toon

And don't forget that the dodge tutorial teaches you no more than the buttons to press if you want to dodge. It doesn't teach you the more important aspect: why you want to dodge, what it does for you, and most important of all, *WHEN* you should dodge.

Let me make this simple and give a rough overview of what is required for different parts of the PVE game in GW2:

**Vanilla Campaign and core open world maps**

You can do whatever. There is literaly no way to die even if you tried to. You can go by what ever pictures on a skill you enjoy the most and then proceed to map all hotkeys to your auto attack 1 and bang your head against your keyboard. Done.

**Living World Season 2**

A very slight step up from the original campaign. Still very scripted and some of the missions might require you to read through the skills you were provided with (in some mission you play as an NPC in flashbacks). 2-3 of the associated achievements can be tricky.

**Heart of Thornes**

Has been nerfed so often that enemys barely pose a challenge BUT barely does not mean none (thus the difficulty is perceived as higher than core Tyria). You now actually have to dodge out of enemy aoe attacks and might have to take a couple of defensive utility skills. Which automatically implies you actually have to know what your skills do. Basically the way the active combat was/is meant to be played. Well designed builds will still tear through this content. Absolute trash builds with 0 synergy and thought put in (not spread sheet level but at least know what you are doing and why you picked certain utility skills) will get wrecked.

The meta events require some basic understanding of were to go (or blindly follow the commander) as well as some basic ability to dodge.

**Living World Season 3**

Some of the missions here can be tricky for inexperienced players and might need some optimization. Difficulty does not scale so very weak players can bring along some friends to help out. Still absolutely solo able.

**Path of Fire**

Actually way easier than the original HoT content. Most enemys are far apart, the navigation thought the maps is a lot easier due to less height design wise. Some enemys have powerful attacks which need to get dodged. I'd say about as hard as HoT, maybe a bit easier. The meta events usually are back to mostly just stick together and press 1.

**Living World Season 4**

Similar to LWS3 again with certain "boss" battles which might be tricky. Still all solo able and or have friends come along to help out.

Don't worry at all, most of us who have been playing for a while go through these story missions like a breeze.

That being said, there are a few steps that can make your life easier:

1. Work on getting rare or exotic gear, preferably all with the same stats. If not using condi, find a set with "Power" as main attribute, for condi swap power with "Condition Damage". (Suggestions: Valkyrie, Soldier, Cleric, Dire, Aopothecary and Shaman)

2. Don't jump straight into these things, start doing your personal story (can be finished within a day if you are already lvl 80). Then play a few episodes of the HoT expansion if you have it. Do a few world bosses. These things teach you the basic mechanics of PvE enemies, and allow you to practice your reaction and skill use in a relatively safe environment.

3. When you get to more challenging content like the instance you mentioned - learn from your mistakes. Learn what to avoid. When to use range. Swap out some utility skills for more defense. Or offense if it helps you kill faster. Look at your weapons and their skills - do they only do raw damage or do they apply conditions? With 1900 power or 900 condition damage (can be seen in the hero (press H) panel) you have more than enough damage to kill anything in PvE :)

There is nothing to worry about if you just pay a little attention and somewhat streamline the stats of your gear. Most people's problem in this situations are actually that they do too little damage and end up being whittled down. Simplest advice is hit but don't get hit as much as possible, use corners, distance and dodges until you make it and you will quickly find yourself to never ever have an issue with these npc enemies again.

I think some people definitely over think it...or rather they get too caught up in insisting you must use absolutely the best possible choices in each situation and only 1 specific build is 'right' for that. Like people who want different weapons for each dungeon so they can have the right Sigil of [Enemy] Slaying equipped, or will lecture someone on how they're doing it all wrong because they've changed 1 trait from the "meta build" on some website.

It definitely helps to have a 'theme' for your skills and stats though - make sure it fits together. For example if you're using equipment where Condition Damage is the highest stat but your skills don't cause any damaging conditions then you're wasting all those points. Or if you've got different stats on each piece so you don't have any overall good stats.

But until level 80 you don't need to worry about it at all (and it's actually a good idea to change things every so often - like trying out a new skill whenever you unlock one - so you can see what you like) and at level 80 it's pretty much just a matter of picking which 3 stats are most important for you and getting a set of exotic equipment with those stats. Then if you want to go for ascended you can, but it's not necessary.

The game does also encourage 'active' play - you'll have a harder time completing things if you just stand in one spot firing off your skills whenever the cooldown ends. It's much better to move out the way of big attacks and damage circles on the ground, and to try and time your attacks for when they're going to have the best effect. But in general you should be able to work out how to do that while playing, there's no need to study even boss fights in advance.

> @"Faline.8795" said:

>

>

It is. The game as designed PVP first, so there is a lot of customization and specificity that goes in to each class As the game goes on, you're expected to assemble a set of gear that has a coherent and focused distribution of stats. You are expected to choose traits that work well together and fulfill specific goals, and your utilities are chosen based on what works well against the challenges you'll face. What you've described is something I call an RNG build. These are universally loathed, since a build without any focused stats or goals is worse than just running Celestial.

There is good news, though. Two things. First, the overworld is generally easy enough that you'll have plenty of time and breathing room to assemble a full set of exotic gear. Second, pure damage builds are really good in this game, so if you have any doubts you should assemble a full set of berserker gear and choose traits + utilities to do as much damage as possible. Swap out a utility or two for more defensive ones if you have trouble surviving.

Thanks. You guys are making me feel a little better.

I do understand about synergy. I like my gear to have Power. I like to burn things down quickly. (Fire Elementalist. Go fig. haha)

I do suffer from massive latency, though. 900ms. (Internet by satellite.) How well does GW2 telegraph attacks? Is there enough time to move out of the way? (World of Warcraft gives plenty of time. Final Fantasy XIV sometimes does, sometimes is very fast.)

> @"Faline.8795" said:

> I do suffer from massive latency, though. 900ms. (Internet by satellite.) How well does GW2 telegraph attacks? Is there enough time to move out of the way? (World of Warcraft gives plenty of time. Final Fantasy XIV sometimes does, sometimes is very fast.)

Assuming we're still talking open world PvE, dodging is usually not even necessary, just a convenience. Even in the expacs you can largely just run away from hard hitting attacks they're so slow.

The ones that have lightning quick timers usually are pretty harmless. For example dodging a HoT tendril (which knocks you down in melee range) using a melee weapon is not much if any faster than just ignoring it and standing back up in the right spot, so I usually ignore the minor damage and stun break instead.

For PvP/WvW and some of the higher level PvE stuff, 900ms would be unplayable.

All that said, you couldn't pay me to play open world PvE with a continuous ping that high, I'd just buy single player games.

> @"Faline.8795" said:

> Thanks. You guys are making me feel a little better.

>

> I do understand about synergy. I like my gear to have Power. I like to burn things down quickly. (Fire Elementalist. Go fig. haha)

>

> I do suffer from massive latency, though. 900ms. (Internet by satellite.) How well does GW2 telegraph attacks? Is there enough time to move out of the way? (World of Warcraft gives plenty of time. Final Fantasy XIV sometimes does, sometimes is very fast.)

Standard is ~3seconds for ones with a charge up but there are some "blink and you'll miss it" types. There are also some with their builtin indicator like expanding to fill a circle.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

>

> Standard is ~3seconds for ones with a charge up but there are some "blink and you'll miss it" types. There are also some with their builtin indicator like expanding to fill a circle.

Out in the world some of those can be pretty unforgiving, but I am led to understand that instanced ones do telegraph. Have yet to do a dungeon though. Only level 45ish

> @"Fluffball.8307" said:

>

> All that said, you couldn't pay me to play open world PvE with a continuous ping that high, I'd just buy single player games.

>

I know what you mean, but when you live in rural America, you have to take what is available.