The Palawa Joko we fought might be Lyssa?

Knuckle Joe.7408

I don't think we're done with joko, I do believe he's dead, but I remember Anet saying they were originally planning on having us exploring joko's origin to find a way to kill him but scrapped that idea. I think they will have us doing that past digging but not to kill him (because he's already gone), but to find out about the magic that made him inmortal as it seems to have poisoned Aurene when she ate it (At least I hope so, I do want to know how Joko came to be).

Joko's middle name still seems out of place to me. As stated before "Ignaceus" doesn't match up stylistically with "Palawa Joko". My first thought on it is genuine bad writing, Anet not taking the time to come up with something that fits Joko's *presumed* Elonian (African/Arabic) origin/inspiration. But, in the event that my more cynical theory is wrong, could his middle name (hell, the fact that he even has a middle name, how often do you see middle names in GW2?) have some greater significance?

TBH, Palawa Joko is not very African/Arabic name either, and he was given a name well before Elona was fleshed out anyways, when the Primeval Kings were being given names like Elswyth, Kole, Millius, and Wenslauss. The name "Joko" in fact, is a [Germanic nickname and an Indonesian name](http://www.behindthename.com/name/joko/submitted "Germanic nickname").

A lot of ancient figures named during Prophecies have names that don't quite match the modern naming of a region - King Doric, for example, which is Greek, yet he is from Orr which is full of Arabic names.

> @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> Joko's middle name still seems out of place to me. As stated before "Ignaceus" doesn't match up stylistically with "Palawa Joko". My first thought on it is genuine bad writing, Anet not taking the time to come up with something that fits Joko's *presumed* Elonian (African/Arabic) origin/inspiration. But, in the event that my more cynical theory is wrong, could his middle name (hell, the fact that he even has a middle name, how often do you see middle names in GW2?) have some greater significance?

the only info i know: Ignatius is a common first name in romanic languages world(portuguese: Inácio, spanish: Ignacio), Ignatius and english "ignition" have same latim root "igns" that means "fire" or "in flames". In the latin/hispanic world the derivation of "fire" has been forgotten because there is a famous saint by that name, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, which is why this name became popular.

> @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> > Joko's middle name still seems out of place to me. As stated before "Ignaceus" doesn't match up stylistically with "Palawa Joko". My first thought on it is genuine bad writing, Anet not taking the time to come up with something that fits Joko's *presumed* Elonian (African/Arabic) origin/inspiration. But, in the event that my more cynical theory is wrong, could his middle name (hell, the fact that he even has a middle name, how often do you see middle names in GW2?) have some greater significance?

>

> the only info i know: Ignatius is a common first name in romanic languages world(portuguese: Inácio, spanish: Ignacio), Ignatius and english "ignition" have same latim root "igns" that means "fire" or "in flames". In the latin/hispanic world the derivation of "fire" has been forgotten because there is a famous saint by that name, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, which is why this name became popular.

>

It's not Ignatius though, it is Ignacious. There may be similarities or maybe not. There are various meanings for the latter none of which relate to the latin name

I don't think there's any way that the Joko we fight and kill in the latest episode is Lyssa. But the ring he had and the mirror Balthazar had in LS3 might be hinting at something. Also Balhtazar doesn't curse Lyssa in the final battle of PoF even though he courses the others. So Lyssa might a) still be on Tyria and is working on something behind the scenes, lending her magical artifacts to those she wants to or b) has split into two personalities, as she has been called the dual-faced goddes, and one of these personalities is still on Tyria while the other has gone to the Mists. We heard from the devs that Joko had to die so the real villain of this season can have enough time in the episode. Lyssa is one possibility to be that villain.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> TBH, Palawa Joko is not very African/Arabic name either, and he was given a name well before Elona was fleshed out anyways, when the Primeval Kings were being given names like Elswyth, Kole, Millius, and Wenslauss. The name "Joko" in fact, is a [Germanic nickname and an Indonesian name](http://www.behindthename.com/name/joko/submitted "Germanic nickname").

Jok are African spirits that cause illness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jok_(spirit)

The [Palawa](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Tasmanians) were the indigenous peoples of Tasmania thought to have gone extinct when illnesses were introduced to the island.

A Palawa Joko would be a spirit who brought catastrophic diseases to the original inhabitants of an island. In this case, an Istani Primeval that set off the first scarab plague.

NPCs do not follow the same rules as players when it comes to skills and professions, they can have multiple skills from multiple professions.

In fact, Faren's perfect skills for his slots 2, 3, 4 and 5 would be Flurry, Blurred Frenzy, Pistol Whip, and Zealot's Defense, because they are the skills in which you wildly swing your sword about and stuff happens, which makes perfect sense for him.

And Joko is old enough to have learned a lot of professions over the years, and he has also access to ancient knowledge and artifacts like the orrian signet ring you find before fighting him.

He is a necromancer, but he also has warrior skills, and mesmer skills. And possibly quite some other skills and tricks under his sleeve. Not that any of that matter in the end, though. Some things can't be stopped with skills.

> @"Daniel Handler.4816" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > TBH, Palawa Joko is not very African/Arabic name either, and he was given a name well before Elona was fleshed out anyways, when the Primeval Kings were being given names like Elswyth, Kole, Millius, and Wenslauss. The name "Joko" in fact, is a [Germanic nickname and an Indonesian name](http://www.behindthename.com/name/joko/submitted "Germanic nickname").

>

> Jok are African spirits that cause illness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jok_(spirit)

>

> The [Palawa](https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aboriginal_Tasmanians) were the indigenous peoples of Tasmania thought to have gone extinct when illnesses were introduced to the island.

>

> A Palawa Joko would be a spirit who brought catastrophic diseases to the original inhabitants of an island. In this case, an Istani Primeval that set off the first scarab plague.

Wow you got something really interesting right there. The name suddenly fits so well, and makes Ignacious even more out of place.

> @"Renkku.7451" said:

> I don't think there's any way that the Joko we fight and kill in the latest episode is Lyssa. But the ring he had and the mirror Balthazar had in LS3 might be hinting at something. Also Balhtazar doesn't curse Lyssa in the final battle of PoF even though he courses the others. So Lyssa might a) still be on Tyria and is working on something behind the scenes, lending her magical artifacts to those she wants to or b) has split into two personalities, as she has been called the dual-faced goddes, and one of these personalities is still on Tyria while the other has gone to the Mists. We heard from the devs that Joko had to die so the real villain of this season can have enough time in the episode. Lyssa is one possibility to be that villain.

Ugh, if that's the case, I hope they do something other than retcon her into a villain that we have to kill. It was already a stretch with Balthazar, I don't think I could stomach a second such character assassination.

Balthazar doesn't curse Lyssa because she seemed to be close to him and apparently didn't oppose him at first [Kormir mentions that "even Lyssa" eventually voted to imprison him, implying she may not have wanted that at first].

Lyssa also made fun of Kormir on her decision to stay behind in that library, so she would never end up staying herself.

> @"Ephemiel.5694" said:

> Balthazar doesn't curse Lyssa because she seemed to be close to him and apparently didn't oppose him at first [Kormir mentions that "even Lyssa" eventually voted to imprison him, implying she may not have wanted that at first].

>

> Lyssa also made fun of Kormir on her decision to stay behind in that library, so she would never end up staying herself.

I agree with this one

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> > > Joko's middle name still seems out of place to me. As stated before "Ignaceus" doesn't match up stylistically with "Palawa Joko". My first thought on it is genuine bad writing, Anet not taking the time to come up with something that fits Joko's *presumed* Elonian (African/Arabic) origin/inspiration. But, in the event that my more cynical theory is wrong, could his middle name (hell, the fact that he even has a middle name, how often do you see middle names in GW2?) have some greater significance?

> >

> > the only info i know: Ignatius is a common first name in romanic languages world(portuguese: Inácio, spanish: Ignacio), Ignatius and english "ignition" have same latim root "igns" that means "fire" or "in flames". In the latin/hispanic world the derivation of "fire" has been forgotten because there is a famous saint by that name, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, which is why this name became popular.

> >

>

> It's not Ignatius though, it is Ignacious. There may be similarities or maybe not. There are various meanings for the latter none of which relate to the latin name

I imagine they probably intentionally changed the spelling to avoid any sort of religious issues (it wasn't just one dude, there were a ton of religious folk named Ignatius. It'd probably reflect badly for anyone who cared about that stuff to see some undead evil dude with a religious name lol.

In general, the names seem based on the idea of "ignis" because it sounded like fire, the original was apparently Egnatius (Etruscan Origin). I'm not going to speculate too much on the name because I swear they wanted to sound as random as Bender's (Futurama) last name.

Joko we faced in Kourna can't be Lyssa. There were no sight of any Lyssa's powerful spells or illusions anywhere upon this episode so I really doubt Lyssa is even him.

As the gods departed to somewhere unknown place and basically left us, (humans), their believers and those who still have faith in them are gone, sadly.

I am sure we'll get to meet the remaning gods once again and perhaps we'll get to know who is the new replacement and given the title of the War God/Fire God, aka everything Balthazar was.

This was Joko himself, no doubt. Inmortal? Yeah, I laughed so hard when Aurene ate him! :lol:

I'm glad Joko is gone, was hoping for a more dramatic and twisted ending but seeing him be eaten by Aurene, that's fine for me.

Joko is no more, scarab plauge is no more and the awakenes are going back where they come from.

And nooow we are aiming to caughing up with Kralk!

> @"Kalocin.5982" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"ugrakarma.9416" said:

> > > > @"The Greyhawk.9107" said:

> > > > Joko's middle name still seems out of place to me. As stated before "Ignaceus" doesn't match up stylistically with "Palawa Joko". My first thought on it is genuine bad writing, Anet not taking the time to come up with something that fits Joko's *presumed* Elonian (African/Arabic) origin/inspiration. But, in the event that my more cynical theory is wrong, could his middle name (hell, the fact that he even has a middle name, how often do you see middle names in GW2?) have some greater significance?

> > >

> > > the only info i know: Ignatius is a common first name in romanic languages world(portuguese: Inácio, spanish: Ignacio), Ignatius and english "ignition" have same latim root "igns" that means "fire" or "in flames". In the latin/hispanic world the derivation of "fire" has been forgotten because there is a famous saint by that name, Saint Ignatius of Loyola, which is why this name became popular.

> > >

> >

> > It's not Ignatius though, it is Ignacious. There may be similarities or maybe not. There are various meanings for the latter none of which relate to the latin name

>

> I imagine they probably intentionally changed the spelling to avoid any sort of religious issues (it wasn't just one dude, there were a ton of religious folk named Ignatius. It'd probably reflect badly for anyone who cared about that stuff to see some undead evil dude with a religious name lol.

>

> In general, the names seem based on the idea of "ignis" because it sounded like fire, the original was apparently Egnatius (Etruscan Origin). I'm not going to speculate too much on the name because I swear they wanted to sound as random as Bender's (Futurama) last name.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ignacious

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> Joko we faced in Kourna can't be Lyssa. There were no sight of any Lyssa's powerful spells or illusions anywhere upon this episode so I really doubt Lyssa is even him.

>

> As the gods departed to somewhere unknown place and basically left us, (humans), their believers and those who still have faith in them are gone, sadly.

> I am sure we'll get to meet the remaning gods once again and perhaps we'll get to know who is the new replacement and given the title of the War God/Fire God, aka everything Balthazar was.

>

> This was Joko himself, no doubt. Inmortal? Yeah, I laughed so hard when Aurene ate him! :lol:

> I'm glad Joko is gone, was hoping for a more dramatic and twisted ending but seeing him be eaten by Aurene, that's fine for me.

> Joko is no more, scarab plauge is no more and the awakenes are going back where they come from.

> And nooow we are aiming to caughing up with Kralk!

I mean technically the awakened are now free, much like they were back in Gw1, when Joko had that rebellious general. The thing is Kralkatorrik can just brand what is left of the awakened like the ones in Amnoon.

I feel like Palawa Ignacious Joko is somewhat likened to Handsome Jack from the Borderlands games. He's a constantly talking to us during our campaign against him, and he's got such a massive ego that he thinks he can never be wrong. In that last scene, where he's having a monologue, I'd take everything at face value. He had us. Deus Ex Aurene or not, he had no reason to lie or exaggerate the truth when he had us in a helpless state, at his mercy.

I don't feel like Aurene stole our kill. It was made pretty clear before the final fight that he could imprison people indefinitely, until Braham came to our rescue. I don't know how Aurene snuck into the building, but who else was going to save us? Braham and our character were the only two people in the building who were on _our_ side.

• 1 month later...

Someone said earlier that we didn't know Joko's full name before that last scene.. Could it be that Joko shared his "secret" name with the Commander, so that we could revive him later if we needed for any reason..? You know.. liches tend to have a secret name no one knows of..

During his time as Lich, Joko improved alot. Creating Scourges was one of those improvements. It is possible that mesmer's magics were needed to control Scarab plague. Also, he already knew everything about necromantic, so learning new magics to get stronger is not bad idea.

But as for this 'Kill' of Joko by Aurene. It doesn't feels to me like it was Joko. Fight with him wasn't Joko-like. Remember, he was one who duel with Turai Ossa. But Commander fought with him in very weird way.

Also i wonder why he was so obsessed with Commander. Creating so many Commander-like illusions was odd. Me still thinking about what side-effects Commander have after returning from the dead.

> @"Aeon.4583" said:

> During his time as Lich, Joko improved alot. Creating Scourges was one of those improvements. It is possible that mesmer's magics were needed to control Scarab plague. Also, he already knew everything about necromantic, so learning new magics to get stronger is not bad idea.

>

> But as for this 'Kill' of Joko by Aurene. It doesn't feels to me like it was Joko. Fight with him wasn't Joko-like. Remember, he was one who duel with Turai Ossa. But Commander fought with him in very weird way.

>

> Also i wonder why he was so obsessed with Commander. Creating so many Commander-like illusions was odd. Me still thinking about what side-effects Commander have after returning from the dead.

One theory is that he was obsessed with the Commander because he/she could actually be a match for him [which we were, more or less, till he trapped us]. He even made that message in case he died [which is a little odd that Joko would plan such a late contingency in case he died since.....you know, he technically can't].

I’d like to throw out, while most of these are interesting ideas, possibilities, and whatnot, that yes he was very strategic and always had an abundance of schemes, plans, and backup plans I’d like to mention the simple fact that while he was so focused on killing the Commander who if you asked me, he was actually afraid of the Commander judging by his cowardly way of fighting the Commander and how if he had managed to kill the Commander the way he had planned was a huge cheat, it is also possible that he didn’t take Aurene into consideration. I think he might’ve just forgotten about her in his blind and obvious rage towards the Commander.