Please get rid of transmute charges and add a proper wardrobe system

> @"MiskoV.3856" said:

> WildStar [*] and ESO had/have the best wardrobe systems.

>

Aren't/Weren't these sub-based games, though? If so, you were in essence paying for your transmutes. Transmutes are free in GW2 (not a sub-based game) from drops or conveniently available for purchase from the gem store.

Why some people really refuse to support a game that they seem to enjoy is beyond comprehension. I blame the "I want it for free" generation...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel that GW2 has hit the perfect balance with Transmutation Charges. The game has no subscription, charges are readily available for those who want to get them for free, and the option to buy them exists for those who'd prefer to get them immediately.

The only change I'd suggest is a "Permanent Skin Unlock Token" Gemstore item that makes a single skin into a free transmute (like the Radiant, Hellfire, or GW1 Legacy skins). I'd estimate a price point of approximately 50-100 gems per use (sold in batches of 5-6, rather than individually).

Did I say that I want anything for free? Costiume slots were cash shop based AND character exclusive. You had to buy multiple slots for multiple characters. Subs were as well optional. This would bring so much more money rather than charges which, let's not fool ourselves, everyone gets from map explorations on new, deletable characters, rather than buy for gems...

EDIT: Transmutation charges could be used to apply skins to costume slots. That would increase the demand for charges AND give additional gemstore feature since people would use multiple costumes for a singular character. It would be great to change the look of your character without having actual physical multiple sets of armour. With a single click of a button.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > Do I get to turn my 1000+ Transmutation charges into Gems if they go this route? I presume that most people have more Transmutation charges than they know what to do with...you also forgot they drop from BLT Chests.

> >

> > This.

> >

> > Anybody playing WvW or PvP is swimming in charges. They are very easy to come by and it's not every day that you use them by the dozens

>

> Which is actually kind of strange.

> Transmutation sounds like a very PvE-ish type of content. My main is constantly changing gear to fit the festivals, and the region of the story we're in.

> Yet i have to play pvp or wvw in order to accommodate these quantities

I mean i could see pvp players change their main to go with the theme of the map. Does that make transmutation charges PvP-ish?

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > Do I get to turn my 1000+ Transmutation charges into Gems if they go this route? I presume that most people have more Transmutation charges than they know what to do with...you also forgot they drop from BLT Chests.

> > >

> > > This.

> > >

> > > Anybody playing WvW or PvP is swimming in charges. They are very easy to come by and it's not every day that you use them by the dozens

> >

> > Which is actually kind of strange.

> > Transmutation sounds like a very PvE-ish type of content. My main is constantly changing gear to fit the festivals, and the region of the story we're in.

> > Yet i have to play pvp or wvw in order to accommodate these quantities

>

> I mean i could see pvp players change their main to go with the theme of the map. Does that make transmutation charges PvP-ish?

You mean they'd costume 9-11 transmutation charges every round?

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > Do I get to turn my 1000+ Transmutation charges into Gems if they go this route? I presume that most people have more Transmutation charges than they know what to do with...you also forgot they drop from BLT Chests.

> > > >

> > > > This.

> > > >

> > > > Anybody playing WvW or PvP is swimming in charges. They are very easy to come by and it's not every day that you use them by the dozens

> > >

> > > Which is actually kind of strange.

> > > Transmutation sounds like a very PvE-ish type of content. My main is constantly changing gear to fit the festivals, and the region of the story we're in.

> > > Yet i have to play pvp or wvw in order to accommodate these quantities

> >

> > I mean i could see pvp players change their main to go with the theme of the map. Does that make transmutation charges PvP-ish?

>

> You mean they'd costume 9-11 transmutation charges every round?

Possibly /shrug

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > Do I get to turn my 1000+ Transmutation charges into Gems if they go this route? I presume that most people have more Transmutation charges than they know what to do with...you also forgot they drop from BLT Chests.

> > >

> > > This.

> > >

> > > Anybody playing WvW or PvP is swimming in charges. They are very easy to come by and it's not every day that you use them by the dozens

> >

> > Which is actually kind of strange.

> > Transmutation sounds like a very PvE-ish type of content. My main is constantly changing gear to fit the festivals, and the region of the story we're in.

> > Yet i have to play pvp or wvw in order to accommodate these quantities

>

> It’s actually in concert with several different things Anet has done with the game to encourage people (guess you could exchange ‘encourage’ with ‘force’) to play the different game modes.

>

> All of the legendary weapons require you to PvE and do a little in WvW. Or pay outright which isn’t different from transmutation charges. And yes, the two are very different, but if I want a faster method of earning gold, I need to get out of WvW.

>

> I would imagine it’s just their way of introducing people without forcing, to other modes.

No force.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> I don't see how transmutation charges creates a barrier. Anyone can get them through a variety of means.

It's not just charges, it's the whole system. The barrier is psychological. Here's the way it works in some peoples' minds.

Changing a body-wear look involves transmuting as few as 1, or as many as 7 items (6 armor, 1 back). Compared to the one-click change of outfits, changing armor looks can be clunky. If you add in changing weapon looks, that can be another 4 changes to get a complete change (never mind UW weapons).

Then, there's the cost. Sure, some have charges aplenty, but if you want to change your look a lot, the charges can go away quickly, much more quickly than the game gives them away. The system as is can create a hoarder's mentality, in which people are reluctant to expend charges because they imagine a future in which they might want to make wholesale changes to several characters (like when an XPac drops several armor sets). There may not even be a realistic expectation that this will happen, but no one ever said that people are rational about costs. Then there's the perception that since acquiring skins (in game or via the gem store) costs time, money or gold, then having to expend a resource in addition to that time, money or gold is too much.

Combine the issue of costs with the relative lack of ease-of-use and some people are going to see the system as unfriendly to _frequent changes_. Ask yourself how many charges you would have left if you changed the looks on multiple characters every few days. Now, compare that to a system that would allow you to select multiple looks for a given character and change between them at will, with no cost. Less barrier, more ease of everyday use.

ANet could even charge for these "wardrobe slots," and require charges to set or change looks into them. The current system offers charges for free enough to satisfy those who don't change looks often. Slots plus charges could be more lucrative for ANet.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> >

> > That begs the question: why do transmutation charges drop like flies from PvP and WvW reward tracks?

>

> I believe that you get so many in PvP because before the introduction of the wardrobe system it was free to change your skins in PvP so when they introduced the wardrobe system they wanted to ensure that changing your looks would remain effectively "free" for PvP players.

>

> When they added reward tracks to WvW they mostly copied the PvP reward tracks so now WvW gets loads too.

>

That makes a lot of sense.