First legendary or Griffon?

So its been a few months since I've returned to GW2 (after a 4+ yr break). All caught up in terms of expansion story, living story 4 (Not going to touch the rest of LS2 or LS3 yet...no gems). Leveled maybe 5 characters through HoT, 3 through PoF.

About ready to start the next grind *ahem* adventure.

Griffon or my first legendary wep? I started the precursor collections for Bolt, although I now realize you need to do a massive amount of fractals and at the current moment, I don't feel like doing them any time soon. I then thought about grinding for gold to buy the precursor.

Should I either continue the precursor craft, buy the precursor, or go after the griffon first? I was leaning toward one of the precursor options, but now Im thinking the griffon might be a nice obtainable feat which could pay dividends in the long run.

Thoughts?

Just my opinion, but an alternative mount has much, much, much more benefits than one legendary weapon that is not even usable on every profession/fit all character's looks.

Apart from that, Griffon is so much fun once you have mastered the mount skills, plus it's just a gorgeous animal and really well made/animated.

Griffon is far, far, far more useful than any legendary and well worth the cost. Except in some areas it pretty much replace all other mounts.

Even if you only had the idea to build a legendary and there was no griffon, it still wouldnt technically be worth it. The grind is huge.

I'm going with "None of the above".

Take those 250 gold, and buy gems, unlock Living World Season 3 **AT LEAST**. You won't regret it. The ease of access to Ascended gear from those maps, is better than the griffon or a legendary (also it allows you to unlock a legendary in of itself).

Season 2 is more optional, you get Mawdrey which is a great QoL item, but not much else, the story is appealing though and gives a lot of insight into HoT. But, right now, and with what we have in Season 4 maps, i'd say Season 3 is pretty much nearly mandatory if you want to catch up quickly into End-game content.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> I'm going with "None of the above".

> Take those 250 gold, and buy gems, unlock Living World Season 3 **AT LEAST**. You won't regret it. The ease of access to Ascended gear from those maps, is better than the griffon or a legendary (also it allows you to unlock a legendary in of itself).

> Season 2 is more optional, you get Mawdrey which is a great QoL item, but not much else, the story is appealing though and gives a lot of insight into HoT. But, right now, and with what we have in Season 4 maps, i'd say Season 3 is pretty much nearly mandatory if you want to catch up quickly into End-game content.

Interesting.

So...most say Griffon, and this guy says Gems for S3.

So, griffon vs S3 vs precursor/legendary?

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> First of all, welcome back! :)

>

> > @"cesmode.4257" said:

> > Griffon or my first legendary wep?

>

> The Griffon is much, _much_ cheaper than any legendary weapon.

Welcome back and this^^

You will also probably make more use of the griffon and it might even make things easier on your legendary journey.

> @"Algreg.3629" said:

> Griffon, even after a day you will not believe you were ever being able to play without it. HUGE QOL-Feature.

Yeah, I'm with this. I can't imagine trying to find my way up to the very last Golden Lost Badge in the Drydock Scratch JP (the one above flag 9) without it. The wiki said to go through this skritt tunnel and then to go along there to that one, except that I couldn't find that one. I gave up and let Griffy just flap me up to where flag 9 was, and then to the badge on the ledge above it, and I got my mastery point.

(For reference, I did the JP ages ago, but hadn't finished the badge collection. Now I have, and Griffy made it much easier. AND I chipped away a couple more points by topping two of the Legendary Mordrem in SW(1), so I have finished Central Tyria mastery points.)

(1) I have to admit that Griffy didn't help *much* there, but a legendary weapon wouldn't have been any stronger than Caladbolg Orchida, so it wouldn't have helped at all.

Let's look at the different aspects and costs:

**Legendary Weapon:**

The cheapest ones cost around 1,000 gold to make according to gw2efficiency. That is Tier 1, not very popular ones like Quip, The Moot or the underwater ones. That is if you self craft them without the TP premium meaning you need to do world completion at least 1nce fand 6-8 hours of WvW for the gifts. Getting world completion is easier when owning a griffon. The skin is purely cosmetic.

**The Griffon**

Fix cost of 250 gold. Allows for better movement and easier completion of achievements, world completion, etc.

**Living World Season 3**

Probably the Season to get and especially Episode 3 (for access to ascended backpack, ring and accessory) and Episode 4 and/or 5 (access to ascended amulet) (see this chart for what is available where https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascended_trinket)

At approximately 30 gold per 100 gems (a bit less atm I think) and 200 gems per episode, this is actually a viable alternative to the griffon and will net you more of a steady progress. A bit slower if you want to experience the story in chronological order (starting with episode 1).

I'd probably still recommend the griffon first since ascended trinkets are available while playing the game via other methods (rings from fractals, amulets from laurels) and the griffons mobility is amazing. Definitely get the living world season 3 after though.

> @"cesmode.4257" said:

> > @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> > I'm going with "None of the above".

> > Take those 250 gold, and buy gems, unlock Living World Season 3 **AT LEAST**. You won't regret it. The ease of access to Ascended gear from those maps, is better than the griffon or a legendary (also it allows you to unlock a legendary in of itself).

> > Season 2 is more optional, you get Mawdrey which is a great QoL item, but not much else, the story is appealing though and gives a lot of insight into HoT. But, right now, and with what we have in Season 4 maps, i'd say Season 3 is pretty much nearly mandatory if you want to catch up quickly into End-game content.

>

> Interesting.

>

> So...most say Griffon, and this guy says Gems for S3.

>

> So, griffon vs S3 vs precursor/legendary?

>

>

Griffon is an awesome mount, but it won't take you anywhere you can't reach with other mounts (well, there's a couple exceptions that are almost impossible without it).

It unlocks 2 griffin adventures per PoF and LWS4 map, plus 2 more on the Labyrinthine cliffs.

LWS3 unlocks 6 new maps each with a mastery to level, new currency/ resources, a legendary trinket (Aurora), several opportunities for stat-selectable ascended trinkets and backs (for unbound magic - a currency exclusive to season 3 and the map exclusive resources, no gold required), etc.

The living world season 3 costs around 270 gold to unlock completely, so 20 more than the griffon. But you get the opportunity to start fractals that bit earlier, and you'll be doing around 10-20g a day just selling junk from Fractal encryptions if you do all T4 daily fractals.

If your choice is Legendary versus equivalent gold on something else ... then I'd recommend...

None of the above — yet. You just got back to the game after four years. Give yourself a chance to decide if you're here to stay or not, before spending a lot of time or money.

Once you do, then I think you'll be happiest with the following worth about a legendary's worth of currency in the following order:

* [shared Inventory Slots](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shared_Inventory_Slot) x3 (1890 gems)

* [Copper-Fed Salvage-o-Matic](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Copper-Fed_Salvage-o-Matic) (800 gems, goes in one of the shared slots)

* [Living World Season 3 Complete](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Living_World_Season_3_Complete_Pack) (960 gems), if for no other reason than it unlocks maps that make it far easier to obtain ascended trinkets with useful stats.

* Griffon (250 gold)

Legendary weapons are fun, but they don't have the convenience of the first three on my list nor the sheer joy of flying a griffon _on any of your characters_.

> @"cesmode.4257" said:

> Griffon or my first legendary wep?

Consider these:

- Griffon usable by every character on your account vs. legendary weapon usable only by whichever character has it.

- Griffon greatly opens up your mobility in virtually every map whereas a legendary weapon doesn't affect this at all

- Cost of griffon is far cheaper than a legendary

Based on those, it's pretty obvious that the griffon is a better thing to get first.

> I started the precursor collections for Bolt, although I now realize you need to do a massive amount of fractals and at the current moment, I don't feel like doing them any time soon.

Having recently finished those collections, the issue isn't the amount of fractals, but the fact that some of them are buggy. It took me multiple replays of a couple fractals to get the collection items to register correctly. In one fractal the capacitive jar got consumed too even though it's not supposed to do that. However, the even bigger issue for the final collection isn't the fractals - it's the Not So Secret JP. If you're not good at this JP, you'll probably struggle getting the item there until you can find a friendly mesmer doing ports. It took me a long time to get that part done. I haven't touched another precursor collection due to my bad experiences with the final bolt collection.

> I then thought about grinding for gold to buy the precursor.

At this point, you'd be better off using that money the griffon instead. After that you can start saving up for a precursor.