Why does so much of the armour look so bad?

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > @"sorudo.9054" said:

> > you can put lipstick on a pig, it still is a pig.

> > i think 98% of all armors are plain horrible, if they would remove all the "never" used armor skins it would be quite an empty inventory.

>

> If they removed the 'never used' armor skins, the wardrobe inventory would look exactly the same as it does now.

in terms of ppl actually using the skin or in terms of ppl using it because they don't want to waste their charges?

because i bet about 60% of all skins are only used as place holders, not because ppl actually want to use them.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> Oh c'mon no one can seriously like the skin of the crafted ascended?

I like the light and medium (expecially the light) version of the Illustrious ascended armor. The heavy one however looks ugly to me, i only crafted it for the achievement, but i never used it on any character.

I disagree. I find gw2 is one mmo that has a lot of armour pieces to mix and match.. I personally do not like my character to wear same full set of armour.. most of my character has mix of diff pieces of armour. I never put outfit on my characters. Will upload some combos :p I'm not good with mix matching but I enjoy doing it. :)

Ofc I wish for more new armours not outfit particularly for medium amour. It will be very cool to have cross armours eg guard/war to wear light armour etc :p

In the same thread with only a few posters I have seen so many polar if not opinions about how GW2 armors look and should look. It's amusing when tastes are confused as facts. Here are my perspectives. The game offers a lot of skins in the wardrobe. Say, an average player (not a fashion warrior) is only interested in 5% of those skins to outfit like an average number of five characters of his. Does 95% of the skins is a wastage because he cannot use them to redress his characters on a regular basis. Enters the saying: "Someone's trash is another's treasure". With the game population of this size, I'm sure almost everything has been used at some points. That's where the end game is Fashion Wars. It's not like how those jealous kids meme it "wearing the rarest, most prestigious items to show off your wealth and 'talent'". My definition of Fashion Wars is to make any skins look thematically the best with a spot on combination and dyes, and a strong reference to make your intended character original and alive. That your outfit bedazzles and spawns curiosity from a stranger: "what armors are they? Never seen it before." has triumphed in the sense that you turn their strong dislike "ugly as hell" to "not my cup of tea but mildly interested". I assure you tastes will mature and expand as you keep an open mind and being exposed to all manners of pop culture.

• 1 year later...

> @"Glacial.9516" said:

> Medium esp. is lacking in this regard

It's not just medium. All 3 armor classes are set to their specific "skeleton" (as I'm sure you know), so light armor is generally all a weird mixture of robes/skirts, medium armor is generally full of trench-coats, and heavy generally has that overaccentuated hip design. I would actually argue that medium is the best designed armor class. There are quite a few light and medium sets that have a similar silhouette, but the mechanism for creating it is far more realistic on medium than light. Since light armor seperates the chest from the legs at the waist as a hard and fast rule, the robe/trench-coat light sets don't actually make sense. The part of the robe or coat that covers the legs is supposed to be a part of the chest piece (like it is on medium), but its separated on light which creates a weird situation where you could be wearing a t-shirt and then have the bottom part of a robe covering your legs. Its really off-putting.

> @"chrispy.7182" said:

> So much of the amour in GW2 looks awful.

> Question to the designers: Why?

It's the same reason why so many real life clothes look awful: taste and fit.

Most players will find most armours ugly, I'm quite sure that we can agree on that. What we most certainly won't agree on is deciding which armours are on the ugly list. That list will be different for every player.

> @"Cynder.2509" said:

> To encourage people to buy gemstore skins or go do raids for legendary armor

Except that gemstore armor sets haven't been a thing since ages ago, all we get are the "small pieces" and outfits. And raid legendary armor is... well... not to everyone's liking, certainly not mine. C'mon, the light male chest piece is just sad with that "I have five blankets and Braham's pauldrons underneath" look.

My biggest issues with the armor are that they decided to lock them by armor weight and gender so much of it so dramatically. There's nothing I hate more than when someone asks me for fashion advice and I have to ask them 'what race/gender/class is the character?' before giving them options to work with.

I don't mind gendered looks, but my ideal situation would be to have both looks available for both genders; I realize why this isn't the case, but it doesn't change my mind.

You can achieve a nice and unique look in GW2, it's just a pain.

I think there are some really bad 'decisions' from a 'aesthetic' perspective to make. That said, it is what is aesthetically pleasing in our time. I. e. if you play one of those out of proportion norns with medium armor you are kinda fucked. Most armor looks a bit ridiculous. Same goes with medium Charr armor. There are a few exceptions though.

I imagine the player just took a out of proportion norn male body shape. Most armors and stuff on them look a bit silly. But there are some really cool things but of course it is a matter of taste. The OP question is vague and childish. I wish more people would think outside the box.

> @"Jables.4659" said:

> > @"Glacial.9516" said:

> > Medium esp. is lacking in this regard

>

> It's not just medium. All 3 armor classes are set to their specific "skeleton" (as I'm sure you know), so light armor is generally all a weird mixture of robes/skirts, medium armor is generally full of trench-coats, and heavy generally has that overaccentuated hip design. I would actually argue that medium is the best designed armor class. There are quite a few light and medium sets that have a similar silhouette, but the mechanism for creating it is far more realistic on medium than light. Since light armor seperates the chest from the legs at the waist as a hard and fast rule, the robe/trench-coat light sets don't actually make sense. The part of the robe or coat that covers the legs is supposed to be a part of the chest piece (like it is on medium), but its separated on light which creates a weird situation where you could be wearing a t-shirt and then have the bottom part of a robe covering your legs. Its really off-putting.

>

>

In some circumstances digging up a thread from 2018 might make sense, but why quote a specific post that old?

Sometimes less is More.

* Less coverage, More skin even for males!

* Less volume, especially for gloves and shoulders!

* Touch up on textures for old armours.

* Less glowyness (tiny bit or nothing is fine but not too much)

* and MORE cultural armours (for non human races especially) Pyres, flame legion, charr concept art...

I work with fashion designers all the time and from what I see the two biggest issues with armor here is:

1 Horrid asymmetry. Massive gaudy gloves, shoulder pads, or what even on one side. On occasion, the look works if done with style, but if you don't know the rules for asymmetry don't use it. On a side note, I think the Anet designer is starting to get this, as I am seeing less of this style.

2 Unisex armor. Again in fashion and most every day looks clothes have a different look for each sex. Simple rule, use it.

3 Finally, a non-fashion tip would be variety. Some people like sexy fantasy styles, others don't just do a nice balance.

Done.

> @"LostInDarkness.5460" said:

> I work with fashion designers all the time and from what I see the two biggest issues with armor here is:

> 1 Horrid asymmetry. Massive gaudy gloves, shoulder pads, or what even on one side. On occasion, the look works if done with style, but if you don't know the rules for asymmetry don't use it. oN a side note, I think the Anet designer is starting to get this, as I am seeing less of this style.

>

> 2 Unisex armor. Again in fashion and most every day looks clothes have a different look for each sex. Simple rule, use it.

>

> 3 Final non-fashion tip would be variety. Some people like sexy fantasy styles, others don't just do a nice balance.

>

> Done.

An argument from authority doesn't make you right.

Fashion Wars is a chore, a time-consuming and sometimes an expensive chore. In order to look pretty, you have to spend a lot of time on your bank's 3rd tab combining individual pieces of different collections and then more time on the wiki to figure out where you can get each piece. And if any of them require for Dungeons' Tokens and you have no Vouchers or is locked behind WvW Tracks, there you go to spend even more time going after them.

All pieces acquired then you have to try the colours. It's easier to test them after acquiring all pieces because, let's face it, the Dye Preview is a bad joke. But, even if you already have your look in mind, you may still get pranked by the Dye Channels.

I recently changed the looking of my Ranger and I was about to make it black (ish) and golden thanks to a nice Dye someone in my guild gave to me, however, I couldn't because specifically the channel I would apply the yellow colour to dye the embroidery was shared with the upper-chest (Council Watch Chestguard). I tried different colours, of course, but only the yellow I wanted was messed up. I did finish the look, yes, but not as I wanted.

Huge shoulders (I suspect WoW alums)

Charr/Asura hate (at least three outfits cut off horns and floppy ears)

Random faces in random places (ruined at least two outfits)

Some of the best armor designs I've seen don't come from the profile or silhouette (purely on size), but from how elaborate and intricate the patterns and dye channels are. A little temperance goes a long way for broad appeal.