Sun's Refuge: a mix between guild halls and Home Instance? [merged]

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > I for one think Sun’s Refuge will count as Path of Fire content and be available to anyone with it, and not locked behind any specific Living World Episode.

> >

> > This remains a problem, unless Dragon's Watch doesn't exist in the next expansion (which is unlikely)

>

> May I ask whats the problem?

In order to access the place where Dragon's Watch members gather together, you'd have to buy Path of Fire, this in itself is a bad idea. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future (outside Episode 4) it must be disconnected from it. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future after Season 4 (and maybe 5) it must be disconnected from Path of Fire. Otherwise it will remain a new piece of content yes, but with very little prospect of growing. Remember how all the episode masteries are only useful in their respective maps, Sun's Refuge will likely have its own mastery.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > I for one think Sun’s Refuge will count as Path of Fire content and be available to anyone with it, and not locked behind any specific Living World Episode.

> > >

> > > This remains a problem, unless Dragon's Watch doesn't exist in the next expansion (which is unlikely)

> >

> > May I ask whats the problem?

>

> In order to access the place where Dragon's Watch members gather together, you'd have to buy Path of Fire, this in itself is a bad idea. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future (outside Episode 4) it must be disconnected from it. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future after Season 4 (and maybe 5) it must be disconnected from Path of Fire. Otherwise it will remain a new piece of content yes, but with very little prospect of growing. Remember how all the episode masteries are only useful in their respective maps, Sun's Refuge will likely have its own mastery.

I mean we dont know, we really dont.

This is something completely new to the game, they talked about how this is how they invisioned the Home Instance to work.

For me that means, this is content that will be expanded upon in the long forseeable future.

So I was watching an interview where they talk a bit about Sun's Refuge and what stood out to me is that Mike Z says that *in this case* we will get an upgradeble armour. **In this case**. Could we be getting something like this for every LW season/expac in the future? And you will need to do (grind?) events in order to upgrade? Using the currencies of the LW/expac the particular instance is connected to?

Just throwing my thoughts out there. I could be very wrong.

Starts at 6:40

[

"https://youtu.be/rsuCBGoNSkY?t=6m40s")

I can easily see a backstory for this place like "Destroyed by Joko/Branded" or "Submerged by djinns, scarabs or anything else". But the fact the instance is called Sunspears Refuge scares me, I don't want that all the unlockable NPC to be Human-Sunspear but a diversity of any race and organizations! Also if we can decorate, not only elonian or human decorations ;( I'm envisaging an human-centric instance and detest that, I hate sunspear and prefer awakened :)

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> It's an instance. They can just throw you into a portal or give you a teleportation device to enter it, finish the story content in there, jump out. Doesn't have to be locked behind the episode.

That is the easy fix to get to it for sure.. like a portal in the guild HQ in LA.

The problems begin to appear like how Maddoctor explained. Much of the masteries, skills, crafting, etc will still likely be tied to previous expacs, which players may not have access to. So in order for it to be both backwards compatible and futureproof, SR and everything it comes with would need to be either core based accessible content, with its own set of skills, masteries etc linked to core tyria maybe as well as its own specific ones, or restricted access only like we have with GH already.

I know which way I would prefer

> @"Dragana.1497" said:

> Could we be getting something like this for every LW season/expac in the future? And you will need to do (grind?) events in order to upgrade? Using the currencies of the LW/expac the particular instance is connected to?

>

I think you are right, Sun's refuge does not sound like a HoM or a personal housing instance (they will prob save those for the expansion), it probably is just a hub you upgrade to unlock more content, and as you said they may add more of them the further we venture out, it sort of makes sense to build encampments as we go.

**If this is supposed to be for player housing it fails since nobody can view it but you. INSTANCED VILLAGES would have been better. Allowing anyone not party bound to freely cycle thru instances and look at peoples homes. It's not open world, but leans towards that directions with interactions in mind. Limiting things to party bound sucks for solo players and not all your friends like to decorate.You can meet new players this way and new friendships are born with like minded idividuals. (assuming decorating your personal space will become a thing.)**

because you know specifically after the sun forge thing the guy mentionad "All without a subscription fee" - suggesting personal housing was possible but they doing it the crappy solo instanced anet way. :( Why bother? We have personal homes already, do something different and exciting. At least if its tied thru guild halls that's something, but still not open enough in an instance. (think wvw instances)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> >

> > I was thinking about that, too, at first, but nothing specifically mentioned "customization" regarding furniture and the like.

>

> My opinion is that it’s going to use the Scribe, with all the abilities and items that that crafting profession has. My guess is that recipes to allow furniture etc will be added to allow that sort of customization.

If scribing to decorate this personal space happens ANET better make all recipes DRAMATICALLY LESS EXPENSIVE!

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > I hope to god not unless they make everything scribe needs super easy to obtain, my understanding of scribe was that it was supposed to be a guild supported crafting profession.

> >

> > They could always port how scribing works to a new crafting profession and with a new name then use it in the new Instance. Tie it to that the way Scribing is tied to Guild Halls.

>

> Scribing is not limited to GH crafting, though. The crafting discipline can produce many useful items that are not GH related, like sigils/runes. Therefore, I see no reason why it should not be expanded to crafting home instance/player housing furniture as well.

if they did that they should change how scribbing works and their data should tell them if the player leveled scribbing themselves or if they received lots of mats from different people in guild to do so. Players who maxed scribe themselfves should get the option to unload it to the guild or switch it to their own crafting system. and scribbing should become bound to the guild and not 1 player. Or refund the cost of scribing (in the window most people leveled it) to the player and bind it to the guildhall.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> I’m hoping they renovsted the scribing and decoration systems and realized they could implement a new feature. It was something hey didn’t seem to want to invest resources into but now that they are adding a new feature it has probably given them an opportunity to revisit some of these systems.

I think they have always been working on it they just didn't need to constantly read all the negative comments about it.

> @"Kelly.7019" said:

> > @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> > I’m hoping they renovsted the scribing and decoration systems and realized they could implement a new feature. It was something hey didn’t seem to want to invest resources into but now that they are adding a new feature it has probably given them an opportunity to revisit some of these systems.

>

> I think they have always been working on it they just didn't need to constantly read all the negative comments about it.

>

>

1. Yeah, i think they can add new decorations for just this sunforge thing that would be cheaper to create then recipes for guildhall decs.

2. Or if you already have a scribe you shouldn't have to level a new scribe like proff just to do basically the same thing.

3. People without a scribe can level one specifically for sunforge which may be a bit cheaper to level because its a solo thing.

4. i think they've been working on this always and only said they killed the ghall team when really they shifted gears into this.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

>

> In order to access the place where Dragon's Watch members gather together, you'd have to buy Path of Fire, this in itself is a bad idea. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future (outside Episode 4) it must be disconnected from it. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future after Season 4 (and maybe 5) it must be disconnected from Path of Fire. Otherwise it will remain a new piece of content yes, but with very little prospect of growing. Remember how all the episode masteries are only useful in their respective maps, Sun's Refuge will likely have its own mastery.

so just connected it to core Tyria on the south side of Field of Ruin :D

> @"Vavume.8065" said:

> > @"Dragana.1497" said:

> > Could we be getting something like this for every LW season/expac in the future? And you will need to do (grind?) events in order to upgrade? Using the currencies of the LW/expac the particular instance is connected to?

> >

> I think you are right, Sun's refuge does not sound like a HoM or a personal housing instance (they will prob save those for the expansion), it probably is just a hub you upgrade to unlock more content, and as you said they may add more of them the further we venture out, it sort of makes sense to build encampments as we go.

>

>

i hope its not, spend more time brainstorming personal housing ideas and ways of implementing it for a non subfee game. Don't just smush it into a personal home instance and say "tada we done".

> @"Kelly.7019" said:

> **If this is supposed to be for player housing it fails since nobody can view it but you. INSTANCED VILLAGES would have been better. Allowing anyone not party bound to freely cycle thru instances and look at peoples homes. It's not open world, but leans towards that directions with interactions in mind. Limiting things to party bound sucks for solo players and not all your friends like to decorate.You can meet new players this way and new friendships are born with like minded idividuals. (assuming decorating your personal space will become a thing.)**

>

> because you know specifically after the sun forge thing the guy mentionad "All without a subscription fee" - suggesting personal housing was possible but they doing it the crappy solo instanced anet way. :( Why bother? We have personal homes already, do something different and exciting. At least if its tied thru guild halls that's something, but still not open enough in an instance. (think wvw instances)

I like this "instanced village" idea. While it's not open world its also not solo home instance. It's somewhere in between. and if like fractals where you choose which you want to visit from the outside, it would allow you to visit many instances free from a party. I'd love this!

Plus, to limit the number of instances it could be 1. villages by server 2. villages that people in your friends list are in. 3. would list villages that people in your guilds are in -idk just some ideas

> @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > > @"WhatLiesBeneath.9018" said:

> > > > > I for one think Sun’s Refuge will count as Path of Fire content and be available to anyone with it, and not locked behind any specific Living World Episode.

> > > >

> > > > This remains a problem, unless Dragon's Watch doesn't exist in the next expansion (which is unlikely)

> > >

> > > May I ask whats the problem?

> >

> > In order to access the place where Dragon's Watch members gather together, you'd have to buy Path of Fire, this in itself is a bad idea. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future (outside Episode 4) it must be disconnected from it. In order for Sun's Refuge to play any kind of role in the future after Season 4 (and maybe 5) it must be disconnected from Path of Fire. Otherwise it will remain a new piece of content yes, but with very little prospect of growing. Remember how all the episode masteries are only useful in their respective maps, Sun's Refuge will likely have its own mastery.

>

> I mean we dont know, we really dont.

>

> This is something completely new to the game, they talked about how this is how they invisioned the Home Instance to work.

>

> For me that means, this is content that will be expanded upon in the long forseeable future.

You mean like guild missions were expanded upon?

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> It would be nice if the personal housing (if that's what this is) has some sort of gateway directly to the guild hall (and maybe from it) so that people can walk out their front door and socialize with their guild.

that's kind of what instanced villages would be like

> @"Kelly.7019" said:

> **If this is supposed to be for player housing it fails since nobody can view it but you. INSTANCED VILLAGES would have been better. Allowing anyone not party bound to freely cycle thru instances and look at peoples homes. It's not open world, but leans towards that directions with interactions in mind. Limiting things to party bound sucks for solo players and not all your friends like to decorate.You can meet new players this way and new friendships are born with like minded idividuals. (assuming decorating your personal space will become a thing.)**

>

> because you know specifically after the sun forge thing the guy mentionad "All without a subscription fee" - suggesting personal housing was possible but they doing it the crappy solo instanced anet way. :( Why bother? We have personal homes already, do something different and exciting. At least if its tied thru guild halls that's something, but still not open enough in an instance. (think wvw instances)

This is a baseless assumption lol

We don't know if it is player housing, it just seems to be that way. People might just set themselves up for disappointment here. Besides, you are aware that people can join other players home instances right? What makes you think this will be any different if it turns out to not just be a story instance without any relevance outside of it?