Gem Store

> @"SunShamon.4320" said:

> Am i the only one who thinks the prices for gems are to high?

Which prices? Do you mean the price to buy gems for real-life money, or the price to buy gems for in-game gold?

The real-money price isn't wildly different (measured in terms of what items a specific amount of real money will buy) from other MMORPGs, while the for-gold price is what it is - if you want it to change, sell lots of gems for gold to drive the price of gems down. (No, that's not a serious suggestion, but the point it highlights about supply and demand is valid.)

I do feel that the price of 5 bucks for 400 gems is too high when I see what those gems buy me. When it comes to pure luxury items like outfits and glider or mount skins I'm like, well ok, but when it comes to what I see as QoL items like inventory space and such then I think it's too expensive and well that's what I tend to spend gems on as they make the game a lot less tedious for me.

The one that really gets me is the indestructible gathering tools. I mean the basic ones, that cost 2400 gems for one set. That's 30 bucks just for one set. But the items are very useful in making your gaming experience so much better. And 5 bucks per inventory slot per character? Also there I think it's expensive. That's the sort of prices I expect to see in a F2P game for such things. And that's the thing. GW2 is seen as different from F2P games because it's B2P, but that distinction rather fades when such items come at such prices. And if you want to buy 2400 gems with gold, that's quite a bit of gold you have to amass, so that's not realistic either and that's probably the point.

So yeah from that point of view I find gems too expensive. The easiest solution for me is for them to have more reasonable prices for such items and then the prices for gems can stay the same. But as it stands now I feel the prices are way too high and therefore the gems too expensive as a consequence. Just my view of course but there it is.

I don't tend to think about the cost of gems directly. I work out the real money price and gold price of the thing I want to buy and then decide if it's worth that to me. Some things I'll buy with real money, some are too expensive that way but I'm happy to spend gold*, and some I won't buy at all because they're too expensive either way. I guess the cost of gems does factor into that because if they were cheaper then the items were cheaper. But I assume Anet are aware of gem prices and consider them when pricing items so if the real money cost of gems went down they'd just charge more gems for each item and it wouldn't make any difference.

*I suspect that second option will look strange to some people. Why would I be willing to spend my "hard earned" gold on something I'm not willing to pay real money for? Yes I'm aware that if I got a 2nd job paying minimum wage I'd earn more per hour than farming gold. But as far as I know there is no job which would let me work an hour or two as and when I feel like it and nothing any other time, I'd have to work to their schedule at least to some extent. (And no, the job I have doesn't give paid overtime, and I'm not going to change careers for a video game.) Whereas gold I get is basically free - I hate farming gold and don't do it unless I really need to, so what I have is what I got through playing the game as and when I felt like it. So for me it's a choice between spending money I could spend on literally thousands of other things, many of which are more important to me than gem store items, or spending gold I have anyway and can't use for anything except GW2 items.

I find this thread amusing because in that other mmo over there single outfit would cost you 40$ and people over there are thinking it's fine...........

btw that "5 bucks per inventory per character" is 5$ for BAG slot per character meaning you can get up to 32 slots out of that deal (altho more realistic to expect would be 20)

as for buying gems for gold - issue in those prices is that it's calculated by algoritm by comparing amount of gold sold vs amount of gems sold, and a heckload of people are buying gems for gold, and not so much are willing to buy gold for gems.....

> @"Lord Trejgon.2809" said:

> I find this thread amusing because in that other mmo over there single outfit would cost you 40$ and people over there are thinking it's fine...........

Of course there are other MMOs that charge much less than that, but as mentioned I do make a distinction between such cosmetics and QoL items and nobody else here mentioned outfits so I'm not sure why it's so amusing to you if I'm honest.

> btw that "5 bucks per inventory per character" is 5$ for BAG slot per character meaning you can get up to 32 slots out of that deal (altho more realistic to expect would be 20)

Yes, I do mean per bag per character. Of course considering how much (senseless) loot this game throws at you they clearly want to push you to get more inventory space, so the fact that you have to buy it for each character makes it too expensive for me. It's the pricing on the gem store that makes me focus on a single character and not play my other characters much in fact.

> as for buying gems for gold - issue in those prices is that it's calculated by algoritm by comparing amount of gold sold vs amount of gems sold, and a heckload of people are buying gems for gold, and not so much are willing to buy gold for gems.....

Well I'm sure the algorithm does have a base price that is not influenced by the trade so it's hard to say what exactly the effect is. I am someone who does buy gold with gems from time to time because it saves me a lot of grinding in this game and for that purpose I'm also ok with the conversion rate though I feel it would be fairer to get 250g with 100 gems rather than around 1200 where it usually seems to be. I'm not so sure if you're right about there only being a few people who buy gold with gems though. It's clear to me that the conversion rate for buying gems with gold is held artificially high to encourage more people to buy gems with real money.

Thank you for your answers. Im only asking this because i understand that arenanet needs to keep making money. Im more than glad to support Arenanet

but i never ever spended any money on the store because it didnt seem like something fun to do and i belive that spending money can be fun sometimes especialy if you are invested in the game. The worst thing that can happen is a player is cornered to spend money just to get buyers remorse and never use money in game again. "sry about my english :bleep_bloop:"

> Thank you for your answers. Im only asking this because i understand that arenanet needs to keep making money. Im more than glad to support Arenanet

> but i never ever spended any money on the store because it didnt seem like something fun to do and i belive that spending money can be fun sometimes especialy if you are invested in the game. The worst thing that can happen is a player is cornered to spend money just to get buyers remorse and never use money in game again. "sry about my english :bleep_bloop:"

The thing is that I do find that some things are too expensive, but some things are also very useful and can increase your playing experience quite a bit, but it's personal. I accepted the price for some items like LS chapters, inventory bags, bank space, shared inventory slots and a set of unbreakable gathering tools. It's all focused mostly around one character because I don't feel like spending a lot again on each character but it did make the game a lot better for me.

So was it worth spending all that money? Sort of. What I bought certainly is worth having, but I still feel like it cost more than it should. But oh well, what's done is done, so I focus now on playing the game with what I have and I am very hesitant to spend more money. I probably will but very sparingly.

It all comes down to having some money to burn and whether you can be ok with spending this much on such items. For me the money itself isn't so much the problem but I do feel I don't get a value that is representative of the money I spend. I'm not saying others are wrong for dropping lots of money on this game, it's purely how I feel about it.

> Thank you for your answers. Im only asking this because i understand that arenanet needs to keep making money. Im more than glad to support Arenanet

> but i never ever spended any money on the store because it didnt seem like something fun to do and i belive that spending money can be fun sometimes especialy if you are invested in the game. The worst thing that can happen is a player is cornered to spend money just to get buyers remorse and never use money in game again. "sry about my english :bleep_bloop:"

Nothing in there should be making you feel this way.

In no way is anything in there needed. yes some of it is a nice perk but can easily play this game to its fullest with none of it.

These items are luxury and priced accordingly.

You own the "car" you don't need that 1000$ stereo in reality.

But i feel that alot of upgrades in the game are essensial for the feeling of progression that should be in a mmo. More eficient gathering banking and general comfort while playing.I am not against using gems but the progression of lvling crafting seems to suffer because of this. And with so many things to buy in the store making a player spend so much for character or account upgrades is insane because players wanna buy the fancy gliders or the cool skin...

> @"googel.3278" said:

> Their main source of revenue since the game is not subscription based, but even then some items in the gemstore is ridiculous.. Waypoint box, kek. Skins... Kek

I'd more baffled by the number of people who want to buy them in the first place. But this was demanded by the some of the player base, because they can't be bothered to do a one time task, because it would take more then an hour total. But given how unnecessary the item is in the first place, that leaves a very narrow demographic for the item.... and its pretty clear that demographic will pay $50 to not have to play the game. And its not like the game makes its difficult to do yourself. So really its just a small group willing to hand over lots of money to save themselves a minuscule amount of time or effort "because reasons"..... and you can't really fault Anet for eventually giving in, since its pretty clear they're cash cows and an abnormally low threshold for payouts. Its also unwise to ignore them too long, lest they go elsewhere. So I'm not at all shocked they do these items now, since it makes money, is fairly low effort, and can be sold at a huge premium to a group more interested in what it offers rather then what it costs.

A lot of skins fall into this situation as well. Any skin, no matter how unpopular with the masses, that can at least recoup triple of what it cost to make is a success. And like the above, you want to keep throwing a bone to each demographic every once in awhile so they aren't tempted to leave.

I don't think its stupid of Anet to fulfill a demand from the player base..... but I do openly question the types of players want these kind of things so loudly and openly, when its more about bypassing something that isn't that big of an obstacle to begin with. Like the waypoint boxes, portal stones, and the recent "harvest my home instance for me" item thats been requested in the forums. It does say a lot about where that player's focus is, and how low a tolerance they have for ANY activity outside of that.

I don't know about everyone else around here, but I earn my money to spend it...and I'll spend it on what ever I like. So no, the real world prices for in-store Gems is not out of line...that's your personal opinion, not something market based, which is what the price is based on. Just like the price of all items in the Gem store, they're all based on market pricing, priced at what the market will bear.

Most, if not all of the items that people find as being ridiculous, like the Waypoint Unlock box, have been requested by the Community at one time or another, and it only makes sense for ArenaNet to offer some of those items if the following is true, there's sufficient market for the item and it is a low production cost item.

I consider those that want short cuts to the same people that spend either lots of time or money on mobile platform gaming, which are much more monetized than anything that we play on the PC, that is where they learn to buy to play because they can't be bothered to take 10 - 15 minutes out of their day to do one or two tasks.

Speaking of the gem store sure is a sensible issue. I payed for subs before thats not the problem and i work for my money aswell. Im not against gw2 model by anyway but im from the opinion that when things are cheap it will create a buyers mentality especialy if the things you buy are useful in game, and probably you make players spend eventualy even more. But i dont know the facts the cash cows or how many of them there are

For me, the prices are OK. There is no monthly fee to play. Anet make some money via the gem store. That's fair enough. Don't forget that everything on sale at gem store is optional, as in "nice to have" but not required to play and win. It could be by far worse: A "pay to win" game. It is not. So I believe we can be thankful for that. Me, I am, and hope that Anet will be able to keep going on this way. :)

> @"Dreamy Lu.3865" said:

> For me, the prices are OK. There is no monthly fee to play. Anet make some money via the gem store. That's fair enough. Don't forget that everything on sale at gem store is optional, as in "nice to have" but not required to play and win. It could be by far worse: A "pay to win" game. It is not. So I believe we can be thankful for that. Me, I am, and hope that Anet will be able to keep going on this way. :)

I guess it's a matter of perspective. If I have to spend 50-100 bucks per character just to get some of these basic account upgrades which are often character upgrades, then a sub is cheaper unless you don't care about that sort of thing or have enough time to make enough gold to buy gems but that's a lot of gold you have to make for all of that.

So as much as I'm NOT asking for this game to be a sub, when you want to have a similar experience to a sub game you end up paying more here. It's the same deal with F2P games cause in essence this game is pretty much exactly like an F2P game once you've bought the game/expansions and you still have to pay for extra inventory and such which are staple elements of cash shops in F2P games. I guess it depends on the person in the end but I get the OP, but I also decided to bite the bullet to some extent so I could enjoy this game a lot more, but now that's done I'm very hesitant to spend any more money on it than a sub would cost me.