deleted in protest

I have a solution that should please everybody. Every time the OP uses a transmutation charge, they can send me 1g. That way they don't feel cheap for the OP and everybody else can keep their almost free transmutation charges. And best of all, nothing for Anet to spend developer dollars on. I make this solutions stuff look easy. No need to thank me.

The idea is that they are plentiful to people who dedicate a lot of time (or efficient chunks of time)... and rare for others. Like most games, you can start without worrying about skins. As time goes on, those who want to change their looks will have more than a few charges, at least to cover a character or three.

Later, those who want to change all the time can pay extra and those who don't care much won't have to pay a premium to change occasionally.

tl;dr the system isn't broken; there's nothing to fix.

Is there a reason to put a symbol in the middle of the word cash every time you write it? I realise this is often a 'cute' way of suggesting that something is money-focused (like Micro$oft) but when you're writing the word cash it's pretty self-explanatory that you're referring to money and, at least for me, it makes it harder to read.

Other than that I also don't understand your suggestion - you're complaining that transmutation charges are free and easy to farm and want the system changed to make them expensive? I guess it sort-of makes sense if you want transmuting your equipment to be a decision you need to think about and maybe save up for, but I can't see how that would help new players. Unless you're one of the people who falls into the trap of doing dailies right away 1g is a lot of money for a new player. (And I wouldn't recommend new players start doing dailies right away, because then it's too easy to start thinking that's all there is to the game.)

I was going to say that when I was new I very rarely transmuted anything, but I think that's because the system was different back then - you had to have an item with the skin you wanted to use and combine the two. So even free skins like the ones from the Hall of Monuments were more hassle to use and that made it seem like it wasn't worth it before level 80 unless you were stuck with a really ugly skin.

> @"plushiesoda.8150" said:

> This has been said 99999 times already, but... why are they still a thing? They are easy to farm, we all know it, and I seriously doubt that Anet earns any money from selling them... on top of that most new players probably feel that.

>

> transmutation is locked behind a ca$h barrier the first time they see them. Happened to me, happened to a lot of friends. And chances are that if you're reading this, it happened to yourself.

>

> _**The first time I created a character the first thing I did (as I do in pretty much every mmorg I try out) was to open the Ca$h shop. After seeing transmutations "locked" behind a money barrier the game felt so... "cheap", there's no other words to describe it.** _Took me a couple of days to realize how easy they were to farm... or that you could grab pretty much anything the black lion company has to offer investing in-game gold.

>

>

> To make it short...

>

> wouldn't it be better if they removed them for idk gold? 1 gold per tranmutation instead of outdated charges that make no sense other than scare new players, in the actual state of the game?

>

>

I think people saying "it's fine" aren't thinking about the part of your quote I put in bold italics. It really is off-putting as a new player. Anything that can make the game look more appealing for a new player is welcome imo.

This is so true, and I'm happy to read they are easy to farm. I came back after years of not playing; I played at the start of the game but got bored real quick due to the lack of end-game content.

A friend started playing again so I gave it a shot too. I was happy to see that they finally introduced transmutation; one of my grievances about vanilla. But I was really disappointed to find that I had to pay gems for it. I quite literally almost deleted the game, without doing any research; thinking to myself "If this is what the game has come to, I will not even invest the time into it".

In the end I gave the game a shot and I enjoyed the gameplay once again, still being annoyed by the fact that this was locked behind a paywall. It is not so much the fact that I really like transmutations; I thought that now everything was locked behind a paywall and hard to obtain in-game.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"plushiesoda.8150" said:

> >why are they still a thing? They are easy to farm, we all know it, and I seriously doubt that Anet earns any money from selling them

>

> So why change it? You just said it's a non issue, why craft a solution looking for a problem?

>

>

I'd say; Remove them from the shop and only let people get them in game (not for gold, just farming). I really really think many players who are already unsure of investing the time and money will be turned off by seeing such a feature locked behind a paywall; while it's actually not that hard to get

I would agree that anything that makes this game more appealing to new players is going to be a positive. If you're a veteran player I'm sure you could afford to drop 6-7 gold ( 1g per charge ), to change up your outfit. In fact, most any casual player could afford to do that. From personal experience there's been a lot of Cash Shop mmos I've stepped into and immediately left due to questionable cash shop items and 'quality of life' features I would've expected to have been free. Changing the way armor looks I consider a quality feature that should be readily available to all players in game, including new. Without having to overhaul the current transmog system all that needs to be added is a tool tip to the transmog charge itself that would give some information about where to obtain them in game so new players who look at it for the first time don't have a heart attack or an immediate table flip reaction.

> @"FricoRico.6893" said:

> A friend started playing again so I gave it a shot too. I was happy to see that they finally introduced transmutation; one of my grievances about vanilla.

@"Steve The Cynic.3217" is ... confused. I was there on the Early Start segment of Head Start, and even then there was transmutation. Well, not quite like it is today, but you could, nevertheless, put a new skin on an item. It had more in common with the Aggregator objects in Runes of Magic, where you take the functionality of one item and the skin of another to create a new object, but it existed.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"FricoRico.6893" said:

> > A friend started playing again so I gave it a shot too. I was happy to see that they finally introduced transmutation; one of my grievances about vanilla.

>

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" is ... confused. I was there on the Early Start segment of Head Start, and even then there was transmutation. Well, not quite like it is today, but you could, nevertheless, put a new skin on an item. It had more in common with the Aggregator objects in Runes of Magic, where you take the functionality of one item and the skin of another to create a new object, but it existed.

>

Yep.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Stone

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Transmutation_Crystal

> @"FricoRico.6893" said:

> > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > @"plushiesoda.8150" said:

> > >why are they still a thing? They are easy to farm, we all know it, and I seriously doubt that Anet earns any money from selling them

> >

> > So why change it? You just said it's a non issue, why craft a solution looking for a problem?

>

> I'd say; Remove them from the shop and only let people get them in game (not for gold, just farming). I really really think many players who are already unsure of investing the time and money will be turned off by seeing such a feature locked behind a paywall; while it's actually not that hard to get

At that point why not just remove them period, and allow people to change their wardrobes for free at will, same as they do with dyes?

> @"Gorgeous.2481" said:

> I would agree that anything that makes this game more appealing to new players is going to be a positive. If you're a veteran player I'm sure you could afford to drop 6-7 gold ( 1g per charge ), to change up your outfit. In fact, most any casual player could afford to do that. From personal experience there's been a lot of Cash Shop mmos I've stepped into and immediately left due to questionable cash shop items and 'quality of life' features I would've expected to have been free. Changing the way armor looks I consider a quality feature that should be readily available to all players in game, including new. Without having to overhaul the current transmog system all that needs to be added is a tool tip to the transmog charge itself that would give some information about where to obtain them in game so new players who look at it for the first time don't have a heart attack or an immediate table flip reaction.

As someone who started GW2 in Feb 2018, I understand what you're saying. I too at first was a little surprised at the restriction, having come from WoW where you could pay to change the look of you gear as often as you wanted. But I read up on it on the wiki and forums, and quickly concluded that it wasn't a big deal, as many players voiced that opinion.

I currently have 5 LV80 characters all of which are completely customized, and roughly 400 charges in my bank. While I didn't "waste" charges leveling up, I rapidly recognized that I had way more than I would ever use.

Transmutation / Transmog is a great feature, and I remember playing WoW before it was implemented. But GW2 and WoW went down different paths: WoW opted to use in game gold to pay for it, but forced you to return to a specific NPC, and at the time, you had to KEEP THE GEAR you wanted to transmog in your storage. Gw2 instead opted to monetize the transmutation charge, but made them obtainable (eventually) in game via log in rewards / loot, and you could make the changes wherever your character was.

As I said above, if ANET were willing to change the system, the only course should be to scrap it completely and allow players to just change their gear as easily as they change dyes. If they aren't willing to go that route, then there is no point in addressing it because the system works fine, and they should instead devote resources to a multitude of other areas.

Personally I have no skin in the game whatsoever.

I have more charges than I could even conceivably use.

I have never spent, nor intend to ever spend, any form of a currency acquiring transmutation charges.

I'm just looking at it from a practical standpoint. If you want them to begin fixing something that isn't broken, they might as well just remove it from the game completely.

> @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > @"FricoRico.6893" said:

> > > @"Turkeyspit.3965" said:

> > > > @"plushiesoda.8150" said:

> > > >why are they still a thing? They are easy to farm, we all know it, and I seriously doubt that Anet earns any money from selling them

> > >

> > > So why change it? You just said it's a non issue, why craft a solution looking for a problem?

> >

> > I'd say; Remove them from the shop and only let people get them in game (not for gold, just farming). I really really think many players who are already unsure of investing the time and money will be turned off by seeing such a feature locked behind a paywall; while it's actually not that hard to get

>

> At that point why not just remove them period, and allow people to change their wardrobes for free at will, same as they do with dyes?

Things need cost.

Transmutation charges are annoying.

If you're new and don't have any you feel like you can't customize things without dropping money. It's bad enough not having a large selection of skins in the first place, you should be able to freely swap between your limited options (like you can with dyes).

They're also very expensive to purchase. At present with the largest volume discount, it works out to about 8 gold per charge. To completely change your look, that's 50-60 gold to farm. Farming the charges themselves is easier. Now if they were cheaper, it might make newbies happier, stay longer and end up being positive revenue-wise.

If you're not new, you likely have so many that using one barely crosses your mind at all. I already have more than I can possibly ever use. The count is at 2400 and ever growing. I'll never buy any for myself; there's never going to be a need.

Anet does make some money off me -- I gift them to friends on occasion. That said I don't think transmutation charges as gifts or otherwise are a major source of income. I really wish I could just give away some of my excess transmutation charges (and other convenience items, for that matter).

> @"Deimos.4263" said:

> Transmutation charges are annoying.

>

> If you're new and don't have any you feel like you can't customize things without dropping money. It's bad enough not having a large selection of skins in the first place, you should be able to freely swap between your limited options (like you can with dyes).

>

> They're also very expensive to purchase. At present with the largest volume discount, it works out to about 8 gold per charge. To completely change your look, that's 50-60 gold to farm. Farming the charges themselves is easier. Now if they were cheaper, it might make newbies happier, stay longer and end up being positive revenue-wise.

>

> If you're not new, you likely have so many that using one barely crosses your mind at all. I already have more than I can possibly ever use. The count is at 2400 and ever growing. I'll never buy any for myself; there's never going to be a need.

>

> Anet does make some money off me -- I gift them to friends on occasion. That said I don't think transmutation charges as gifts or otherwise are a major source of income. I really wish I could just give away some of my excess transmutation charges (and other convenience items, for that matter).

>

>

>

If you’re new, would you really have an extensive need to use the transmutation system? You wouldn’t have an aweful lot of skin choices to choose from as you mentioned.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Deimos.4263" said:

> > Transmutation charges are annoying.

> >

> > If you're new and don't have any you feel like you can't customize things without dropping money. It's bad enough not having a large selection of skins in the first place, you should be able to freely swap between your limited options (like you can with dyes).

> >

> > They're also very expensive to purchase. At present with the largest volume discount, it works out to about 8 gold per charge. To completely change your look, that's 50-60 gold to farm. Farming the charges themselves is easier. Now if they were cheaper, it might make newbies happier, stay longer and end up being positive revenue-wise.

> >

> > If you're not new, you likely have so many that using one barely crosses your mind at all. I already have more than I can possibly ever use. The count is at 2400 and ever growing. I'll never buy any for myself; there's never going to be a need.

> >

> > Anet does make some money off me -- I gift them to friends on occasion. That said I don't think transmutation charges as gifts or otherwise are a major source of income. I really wish I could just give away some of my excess transmutation charges (and other convenience items, for that matter).

> >

> >

> >

>

> If you’re new, would you really have an extensive need to use the transmutation system? You wouldn’t have an aweful lot of skin choices to choose from as you mentioned.

You (and others) keep missing the point. The simple fact that, as a new player, you open the gem store and see you have to "pay" for transmutation charges might be alarming. Any veteran knows you can easily get more than you need over time, but new players don't know that. And some of them may not stick around to find out.

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Deimos.4263" said:

> > > Transmutation charges are annoying.

> > >

> > > If you're new and don't have any you feel like you can't customize things without dropping money. It's bad enough not having a large selection of skins in the first place, you should be able to freely swap between your limited options (like you can with dyes).

> > >

> > > They're also very expensive to purchase. At present with the largest volume discount, it works out to about 8 gold per charge. To completely change your look, that's 50-60 gold to farm. Farming the charges themselves is easier. Now if they were cheaper, it might make newbies happier, stay longer and end up being positive revenue-wise.

> > >

> > > If you're not new, you likely have so many that using one barely crosses your mind at all. I already have more than I can possibly ever use. The count is at 2400 and ever growing. I'll never buy any for myself; there's never going to be a need.

> > >

> > > Anet does make some money off me -- I gift them to friends on occasion. That said I don't think transmutation charges as gifts or otherwise are a major source of income. I really wish I could just give away some of my excess transmutation charges (and other convenience items, for that matter).

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > If you’re new, would you really have an extensive need to use the transmutation system? You wouldn’t have an aweful lot of skin choices to choose from as you mentioned.

>

> You (and others) keep missing the point. The simple fact that, as a new player, you open the gem store and see you have to "pay" for transmutation charges might be alarming. Any veteran knows you can easily get more than you need over time, but new players don't know that. And some of them may not stick around to find out.

You’re assuming that they as a new player already know that they can swap skins in the first place.

Remember that a new account doesn't even get presented with Dailies for a while. I think you need a character to level 30ish before being offered 3 daily choices even. And while getting there, you are earning coppers and some silvers.

So how would a 1g cost for a single piece overhaul be appealing? Or should we also advise the newbies to immediately sell their mystic coins?

Better to either leave as-is or make transmutations free.