Will Aurene become an Elder Dragon? [POLL] And who will betray Caithe?

Arden.7480

We are very close to this point when Aurene either becomes an Elder Dragon or not.

The reasons why she shouldn't:

1) Having an Elder Dragon on our side would be ridiculously OP. Just imagine her as an Elder Dragon...

2) She goes to sleep after becoming an Elder Dragon: that would be so lame! That would actually be a very poor writing: don't engage Aurene, because we must do everything ourselves, because we would just be too OP together. Ughhh, why do you make her an elder dragon in the first place, then? If she just sleeps...

3) Aurene would cover the whole map with her size if she would actually consume this huge amount of magic. So we will see only Aurene everytime, behaving like an umbrella. An ancient enemy appears: one swing of the tail, and she's gone.

The reasons why she should:

1) it would be a giant step to make Tyria a safehouse again.

2) Glint's Legacy would be fulfilled, and the sacrifices of Glint and Snaff would not go in vain.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

The second part of this topic.

What piece of advice would you give Caithe~ the interviewer

Kari Wahlgren: If I could give Caithe a piece of advice? Maybe "watch your back".

It sounds like she will endanger herself, or somebody will try to wound/kill her.

* Yes, or else the plot ends and the world dies.

* No one, because why would she betray anyone? The only reason why she acted questionably in S2/HoT was because Mordremoth was messing with her mind. I don't think that "watch your back" comment was really serious. Besides if they had Caithe go betraying pointlessly *again* it'd be a pathetic reoccurrance of plot and that's boring and uncreative af.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> * Yes, or else the plot ends and the world dies.

> * No one, because why would she betray anyone? The only reason why she acted questionably in S2/HoT was because Mordremoth was messing with her mind. I don't think that "watch your back" comment was really serious. Besides if they had Caithe go betraying pointlessly *again* it'd be a pathetic reoccurrance of plot and that's boring and uncreative af.

I mean she would be betrayed, not that she will betray us or someone else. She's sinned, but her sins were forgiven. Now we must let her speak and listen to what she will tell us.

Kari hints that Caithe should watch her back=be careful, because somebody wants to hurt her.

> * Yes, or else the plot ends and the world dies.

> * No one, because why would she betray anyone? The only reason why she acted questionably in S2/HoT was because Mordremoth was messing with her mind. I don't think that "watch your back" comment was really serious. Besides if they had Caithe go betraying pointlessly *again* it'd be a pathetic reoccurrance of plot and that's boring and uncreative af.

And dont get me wrong, I think she will become the Elder Dragon, really. But I just hope she won't disappear after this, and either just fall asleep and the problem with her new size will be somehow gently resolved. Because she will be huge. Maybe she will send a projection of herself as a minimalized herself so she will be with us all the time, while her giant form will be 'somewhere else'.

I don't know what the consequences of Kralkatorrik's death will be, but Kralkatorrik WILL and MUST die in the end of this Season.

Aurine's destiny is to replace Kralkatorrik, this has been setup since before she was even born..

However it's been made clear that Kralkatorrik is far too powerful and Aurine is far too weak to achieve this right now thus I believe that this event will not happen for a good while yet.. not until Aurine is older and stronger.

I think the developers are setting us up for a massive defeat against Kralkatorrik.. and I for one welcome it.

Abandoning Tyria to an Elder Dragon to protect Aurine is something I very much want to experience the consequences of when we return and she is bigger and strong enough to finally replace him.

She's only just been born. I cannot see how she is ready on any level to suddenly become an Elder Dragon. Glint was only on her way to becoming one, yet was older and more powerful.

So no, I don't think we are (logically at least) close to that situation nor do I think it is an option they should be pursuing so early. I don't really have an alternative answer either. I think they've written themselves into a corner with the concept of the world possibly dying/blowing up/falling away or whatever doomsday scenario they are alluding to.

No

Aurene is just a tool to confuse us. Everybody talks about how we need some dragon champion to take the place of the dragons we kill. And everyone acts like Aurene is the only choice.

She isn't. There is still the Pale Tree.

I guess, Aurene will die. PT will have a role to play and Caithe will be the obnoxious idiot she has been since lw2.

Aurene has two outcomes;

Become and Elder dragon and sleep

or

Die

She's already on the path to becoming too powerful of an entity to be usable on a reasonable scale.

I really love Aurene, but Anet has a bad track record of taking away good or powerful things. Pact, certain allies etc.

It's unfortunate, but I don't see it playing out any other way.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> Impossible.

> There can't be one elder dragon. So it can't be **the** elder dragon.

> She could be **a** elder dragon, but never *the* one elder dragon.

>

>

> Whatever happens, we'll have to go out there into the unexplored world and lands lost to history to find more replacements. One won't be enough.

Sorry, I was writing "an" in the post, and didn't write "an" in the title... oops

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> Knowing Caithe, she surely will betray herself at some point.

Then you don't know a thing about her. ;P So I have no idea why you wrote "knowing", because she has never given any signs that she can "betray herself". I take it as a stupid joke, though.

Whatever...

I will not miss Caithe if she is killed off. To me she has been the weakest DE member to translate from the book to the game and I can't quite work out if that's the story writing or the VA (likely both) which has failed to bring her to life, especially given the situations she has been in (some of which haven't made an awful lot of sense).

> @"Ardid.7203" said:

> Knowing Caithe, she surely will betray herself at some point.

This did make me chuckle

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > * Yes, or else the plot ends and the world dies.

> > * No one, because why would she betray anyone? The only reason why she acted questionably in S2/HoT was because Mordremoth was messing with her mind. I don't think that "watch your back" comment was really serious. Besides if they had Caithe go betraying pointlessly *again* it'd be a pathetic reoccurrance of plot and that's boring and uncreative af.

>

> I mean she would be betrayed, not that she will betray us or someone else. She's sinned, but her sins were forgiven. Now we must let her speak and listen to what she will tell us.

>

> Kari hints that Caithe should watch her back=be careful, because somebody wants to hurt her.

That still doesn't sound like betrayal. Besides which, of the current main cast, the only one who'd be likely to backstab her would be Braham, and they've been putting too much effort to redact his redemption arc by now.

It would not surprise me if the plans are to kill Caithe in the conflict against Kralkatorrik. After all, Anet can't have a battle against a massive Elder Dragon without twenty NPC deaths and at least two major NPCs' deaths.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > * Yes, or else the plot ends and the world dies.

> > * No one, because why would she betray anyone? The only reason why she acted questionably in S2/HoT was because Mordremoth was messing with her mind. I don't think that "watch your back" comment was really serious. Besides if they had Caithe go betraying pointlessly *again* it'd be a pathetic reoccurrance of plot and that's boring and uncreative af.

>

> And dont get me wrong, I think she will become the Elder Dragon, really. But I just hope she won't disappear after this, and either just fall asleep and the problem with her new size will be somehow gently resolved. Because she will be huge. Maybe she will send a projection of herself as a minimalized herself so she will be with us all the time, while her giant form will be 'somewhere else'.

>

> I don't know what the consequences of Kralkatorrik's death will be, but Kralkatorrik WILL and MUST die in the end of this Season.

Aurene's already reaching a point where she's OP and her appearance solves all problems like a dues ex machina. I mean, all her struggles are emotional at this point, not confrontational with another outside of Kralkatorrik. This is proof that she'd simply win any such battle because of her strength. When she becomes an Elder Dragon, this will be even more so. She'll **have** to take a backstage in order for any form of conflict the player is faced with to make sense. The only time I can see her taking action would be in a situation akin to an Elder Dragon versus Elder Dragon climactic battle against the Deep Sea Dragon (as I don't see us revisiting Jormag and Primordus, tbh).

Rytlock's death would be much more surprising and shocking tbh. Caithe's death would make most of the people glad, more than shocked. At least at this point, when we haven't heard what she is about to tell. But if the major character dies in the final battle, it should in my opinion be Rytlock.

I would personally be shocked if Rytlock would die...

@"Konig Des Todes.2086"

> Aurene's already reaching a point where she's OP and her appearance solves all problems like a dues ex machina. I mean, all her struggles are emotional at this point, not confrontational with another outside of Kralkatorrik. This is proof that she'd simply win any such battle because of her strength.

Agreed where the Elder Dragon eventuality is concerned, but I don't think she's there yet. Up 'til this point, she's only had three battles that we've witnessed. One she lost almost instantly, without a contest, and the other two the Commander took the brunt of. She's no slouch, being able to tangle with a branded wyvern inside of an active brandstorm and make it out without significant injury, but on the other hand that wyvern didn't seem particularly wounded either when it turned its attention to us.

Outside of that, she's had one ambush against a foe that'd just finished snapping his limbs back into place, and a number of strafing runs against enemies with no demonstrated anti-air capabilities. The last episode mentions she's been doing good off-screen, as well, but also that it's taken a lot out of her- she's collapsed in a pile when we arrive, and when the Shatterer shows up, she ultimately runs. I'd even argue that her presence caused more problems than it solved in Episode 4, drawing branded to Jahai and possibly Sun's Refuge that she wasn't equipped to fight.

> Aurene's already reaching a point where she's OP and her appearance solves all problems like a dues ex machina. I mean, all her struggles are emotional at this point, not confrontational with another outside of Kralkatorrik. This is proof that she'd simply win any such battle because of her strength. When she becomes an Elder Dragon, this will be even more so. She'll **have** to take a backstage in order for any form of conflict the player is faced with to make sense. The only time I can see her taking action would be in a situation akin to an Elder Dragon versus Elder Dragon climactic battle against the Deep Sea Dragon (as I don't see us revisiting Jormag and Primordus, tbh).

Well, with great power comes great collateral damage. For that reason alone it makes sense that if Aurene becomes an elder dragon, she will only fight against the strongest enemies preferably when there's no one else around. You don't use the nuclear option unless you have to, the same applies to a power like elder dragon Aurene. She will be so powerful that she threatens her allies by flying too close to them, let alone use her breath weapon, which already deals extreme amounts of damage, yet she will be powerful enough to balance the flow of magic in Tyria.

From that moment on Aurene will take the role of a big good guide, because crusading around the countryside would damage said countryside. Maybe she will use Glint's lair?

And Caithe will likely not betray anyone this time. She's learned that lesson. And we have no reason to betray Caithe, so unless Caithe loses her fortune to Zalambur, I guess all will be quiet on the Caithe-betrayal front. But we still need to fix our security.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> Rytlock's death would be much more surprising and shocking tbh. Caithe's death would make most of the people glad, more than shocked. At least at this point, when we haven't heard what she is about to tell. But if the major character dies in the final battle, it should in my opinion be Rytlock.

>

> I would personally be shocked if Rytlock would die...

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086"

I kinda expect them to kill off *all* of those characters at some point, including Caithe, Zoija, and Logan, so i wouldnt be shocked if Rytlock got killed, but i would be pretty upset as that just leaves us with Rox in the story and shes been set on the backburner for so long im impressed they even know her name at this point.

> @"Arden.7480" said:

> Rytlock's death would be much more surprising and shocking tbh. Caithe's death would make most of the people glad, more than shocked. At least at this point, when we haven't heard what she is about to tell. But if the major character dies in the final battle, it should in my opinion be Rytlock.

>

> I would personally be shocked if Rytlock would die...

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086"

No, rytlock has come so far and is the only one from the core story f our friends and allies to still be fighting with us. At the end of everything it’ll be us and him

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > Rytlock's death would be much more surprising and shocking tbh. Caithe's death would make most of the people glad, more than shocked. At least at this point, when we haven't heard what she is about to tell. But if the major character dies in the final battle, it should in my opinion be Rytlock.

> >

> > I would personally be shocked if Rytlock would die...

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086"

>

>

> No, rytlock has come so far and is the only one from the core story f our friends and allies to still be fighting with us. At the end of everything it’ll be us and him *and faren*

Fixed that for you

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Fenom.9457" said:

> > > @"Arden.7480" said:

> > > Rytlock's death would be much more surprising and shocking tbh. Caithe's death would make most of the people glad, more than shocked. At least at this point, when we haven't heard what she is about to tell. But if the major character dies in the final battle, it should in my opinion be Rytlock.

> > >

> > > I would personally be shocked if Rytlock would die...

> > > @"Konig Des Todes.2086"

> >

> >

> > No, rytlock has come so far and is the only one from the core story f our friends and allies to still be fighting with us. At the end of everything it’ll be us and him *and faren*

>

> Fixed that for you

>

>

Yess I hope so