Instead of S5 or expansion, rework personal story and S1?

Tashigi.3159

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering how many people freak out if it looks like the next living story release might be a couple of weeks later than they expected (and then declare it "not really content" when it does come out) I can't imagine putting everything new on hold to rehash older stuff would be popular.

I'd love to see season 1 come back. I keep hoping it will turn out to be one of those things where a few people at Anet are working on it as and when they have time so eventually it can be released without having to stop everything else, but that's a lot to ask of people and of course I have no idea if it's happening or not. But I'm hoping for that because I think the chances of them actually allocating people to work on it - meaning they can't work on anything else - is pretty much zero.

I'm not sure about the personal story though. I think it's fine the way it is and without knowing what you want reworked I'd be very reluctant to support seeing it changed.

For me it's a big NO, first come regular new contents like new season amd xpacs, then in the spare time they can work on LS1 or whatever.

It already takes too much time between an episode and the next one, I don't want it to be delayed even more by putting excessive time and effort in revamping the old first living!

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> Why say it needs reworking, but then don’t elaborate on why?

Because everyone knows how poor the personal story curves after level 30 or so and it's obviously lacking to have an NPC just throw a wikipedia piece of text on your face instead of having an actual S1.

Besides, what do you propose they do with the time/effort they normally put forwards with expansions, when there is not going to be an expansion between now and S5?

I realize it'd be some work to get S1 going and to re-touch old code, but this will help retain more players past the low levels. Most people I invite to this game quit around Lv 30-40 'cause the story is just too boring or not enticing enough past that point. Compared to S3, PoF and S4... the personal story and even parts of S2 and HoT are really dated. Having a whole missing chunk of content between the personal story and S2 only adds salt to the wound.

I would also love they redo whole GW2 in new engine and even add GW1 important parts in some way, but let's be realistic, they do not have enough man power for that and if we need to choose, I think more people would like new content instead of rework of old one other than as fractal implementation reflecting on past events.

It is kind of a shame that many elements of the character story, such as your warband if you're Charr, just kinda disappear after hitting certain levels.

I would love the ability to change my race, even if it meant fully resetting my character story. Gives me a reason to play through it again. And I would be willing to buy gems to do it.

Or at least let us go back and change certain elements of our character story. For example, my main is a human ranger, and he presently has a home instance full of Hyleks that I guess came associated with some step of the character story. I would love to get rid of these squatters if I could. Or at least tone down the crowd to like one ambassador, you know?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Considering how many people freak out if it looks like the next living story release might be a couple of weeks later than they expected (and then declare it "not really content" when it does come out) I can't imagine putting everything new on hold to rehash older stuff would be popular.

>

> I'd love to see season 1 come back. I keep hoping it will turn out to be one of those things where a few people at Anet are working on it as and when they have time so eventually it can be released without having to stop everything else, but that's a lot to ask of people and of course I have no idea if it's happening or not. But I'm hoping for that because I think the chances of them actually allocating people to work on it - meaning they can't work on anything else - is pretty much zero.

>

> I'm not sure about the personal story though. I think it's fine the way it is and without knowing what you want reworked I'd be very reluctant to support seeing it changed.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> I’d prefer that the game move forward rather than backward. While I don’t have any issues with them re-making LS1 so it can be played, I’m against future content being pushed back at the expense of it.

My thoughts exactly on the matter.

It's become a kind of faux drinking game between me and my friend as to when the threads about the next Living World's episode drop date pop up. Anet's had two instances during LWS4 where they didn't meet the release cadence for two episodes. A lot of people lost their cool when that happened even when Anet gave a heads up that they wouldn't make the 2 - 3 month cadence.

Imagine what kind of uproar there would be on the forums if they decided to delay future content even more just for the sake of getting LWS1 into a (re)playable state. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this but the open world content drought between HoT and LWS3 didn't do Anet any favors. Having yet another drought would do more harm than good considering how many people blitz through releases only to return to the forums a week or two later complaining about boredom and lack of content. Even if there was a delay to rerelease LWS1, I imagine it wouldn't take long for those same people to blitz through all the content only to return a week or two later complaining about how "bored" they are and how the game "lacks content".

Anet can't even win for losing.

I roll alts from time to time and still do the personal story. It's fine by me. As for LW1.... I was here for it and played it. I rarely go back and replay LW stories so it would be lost on me. But I know there are those who didn't get to experience it and probably some that would go back and replay it. So while it means little to me, I am fine with bringing it back.

Allow me to join the chorus of "no".

The current content delivery pace and schedule is great. The content is really better than just about any competitor on the market. A big reason this game has held me as deeply and long as it has is exactly that. Now you are telling me a break after season 5 to retool the worst content in the game?

I have 18 alts. I'm not doing core story again. No matter how much better you make it.

I will take another Jahai Bluffs over rehashing the worst storytelling this game has seen (S1) any day.

The Scarlet story is best experienced as a cutscene.

It's barely consequential to the overall narrative other than the introduction after the current group of NPC's.

Give me another Lake Doric.

Don't waste resources "restoring" Kessex. All I will do is run around it for 15 minutes, shrug my shoulders and say "neat".

I get that the gap between the Personal Story and S2 is bad for the game. But a break in content delivery would be far worse at this point.

> Why say it needs reworking, but then don’t elaborate on why?

> Last time I did the personal story it was ok, for a core story.

> S1 has an ingame recap, and a fan-made movie for those who missed out. As nice as having a few bits replayable would be, I’d much rather have new content developed.

Yea, there’s plenty of pictures of pizza on the internet, so we can close every pizzeria now, can we?

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > Why say it needs reworking, but then don’t elaborate on why?

> > Last time I did the personal story it was ok, for a core story.

> > S1 has an ingame recap, and a fan-made movie for those who missed out. As nice as having a few bits replayable would be, I’d much rather have new content developed.

>

> Yea, there’s plenty of pictures of pizza on the internet, so we can close every pizzeria now, can we?

Pizza from your local places aren’t advertised as “be there or miss out”, like LS1 was. Nice try though with the analogy, but not even close.

You also seem to miss that the whole thread is filled with people disagreeing with the OP, not just me. You coming up with a pointless, inadequate analogy is not really adding anything to the discussion.

I had a friend go through the personal story, watch the small cutscene for Season 1 and jump into Season 2 and have no idea what’s going on.

I get that there’s a video that you can watch to recap the season 1, but still, would you rather play the game or watch a movie on YouTube.

> @"Tashigi.3159" said:

> I can't be the only one.

> The personal story needs some reworking, specially the later chapters and we could really use S1.

No thanks. I need the story to progress not see a revamp of old content / story. Plus I was there for the entire duration of S1, as lots of other players, meaning revisiting S1 or the personal story has no value for lots of the older/loyal players of the game.

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > > Why say it needs reworking, but then don’t elaborate on why?

> > > Last time I did the personal story it was ok, for a core story.

> > > S1 has an ingame recap, and a fan-made movie for those who missed out. As nice as having a few bits replayable would be, I’d much rather have new content developed.

> >

> > Yea, there’s plenty of pictures of pizza on the internet, so we can close every pizzeria now, can we?

>

> Pizza from your local places aren’t advertised as “be there or miss out”, like LS1 was. Nice try though with the analogy, but not even close.

> You also seem to miss that the whole thread is filled with people disagreeing with the OP, not just me. You coming up with a pointless, inadequate analogy is not really adding anything to the discussion.

Just saying your point was just as moot as LS1 was never advertised as " it will be be gone forever".

it was advertised as "slowly adding to it, to simulate a living world".

hence, many people, and justly so, thought the story would repeat after it finished, to go through a cycle of sorts.

All i'm saying is, just because someone took the effort to summarize it in a youtube video is no argument for anet to never look back at it.

seems like a downright stupid reason, if you ask me.

as for your "i'd much rather have new content developed", didn't you see the statistics?

less than 10% of the playerbase played LS1 without missing a chapter, and for more than half of the playerbase it will be mostly new content.

besides, what kind of argument is that?

"There are some people who agree with me, so you're not allowed to quote me with a counterargument"??????

I'd be curious to know where these 'statistics' can be found that followed every player of the game.

If the 'statistics' only poll a certain percentage of the playerbase, they won't be accurate; in other words, they could be wildly inaccurate.

I'd imagine only ArenaNet has somewhat accurate statistics. Is that where the information was gleaned?