anet lost its direction.

i have played gw since the early release many many years ago. i have traveled the sands in cantha and marched my way through the doors of droknars forge. i even came across that old legendary merchant named Nicholas the traveler .. i have to say the direction anet moved to is a total disaster . gw2 is nothing but a inflated market town game with no special reward system and no unique trades . anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago ! . unique farms with special rewards only given to that specific dungeon was the right way. i remember doing soosc farms for extremely rare bds staffs and farming for voltaic spears . these specific items were traded on a elite level of player market designation . i feel like the gaming society today babies players and just makes everything easy these days . players no longer create better trades. pointless farming for dungeon tokens that serve no rarity just a waist of time . IMO anet even getting rid of the precursor forging was a mistake and destroyed the rarity and challenge of the name legendary. where has the direction of gaming today gone? who knows you dancing p nut.

To address the comments about rewards.

Gw1 could have better rewards as it was closer to a single player game than a true mmo. It was a lobby game with instanced maps and no trading post. You can reward players with unique drops easier in games where there is little or no trading. However once you get a game with a large number of players and a trading post then it’s very difficult to give players unique rewards. If the item has even a moderate chance of dropping and isn’t accountbound then the trading post price will be low and it won’t be a “good reward”. If the drop is rare then most people will never see it and it won’t be a “good reward” for the average player as most will have to farm gold to buy it. The only way an mmo can have “good rewards” is for most drops to be account bound, which damages the trading post and prevents people from selling drops they don’t want.

In spite of your happy memories of trading drops in gw1 most people did not find it fun to spend valuable playing time spamming wtb/wts in trade chat hoping that someone would buy their item. I had lots of nice items drop in gw1 and they sit in my inventory to this day because I had no use for them and spamming wts in Spamadon was boring as heck. They might as well not dropped for me as they were nothing more than inventory fillers.

> @"sereniity seven.5603" said:

> anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago ! unique farms with special rewards only given to that specific dungeon was the right way.

What's so challenging about farming the same content over and over and over again? I remember a previous MMO I played, where I went a whole raid season raiding twice a week with a static group and the numbers of rare drops we got during that time wasn't even enough so that every member of the group would get one, despite the fact that that level of equipment was pretty much required for endgame play. That kind of system isn't challenging, it's simply insulting to the time commitment players make.

Personally I think ANet did something incredibly right when designing this game's reward system, as it honors everyone playing and every content you can play, not just the lucky few that drop the big-ticket items in the flavor of the month instance.

> i feel like the gaming society today babies players and just makes everything easy these days .

On the contrary, I feel like this game acknowledges that many gamers today have busy lives, jobs, and families, and gaming is just one part of these lives, and not necessarily a big part. Committing more time to this game still gives you more rewards, but it's not skewed to "get extremely lucky or grind your head off farming", but rather gradual with my hour a night being just as valuable as an hour in your multi-hour farming routine.

> players no longer create better trades.

There is always two sides to a trade, and if it is better for one side, it's bound to be worse for the other side. This game is built on the foundation of player cooperation, and as such aims towards all players progressing towards their goals in a fair way rather than one progressing on the expense of the others (e.g. by grabbing the one big-ticket drop available for a 10-man raid).

If you want a game that allows you to feel better than others by spending insane amounts of time and getting lucky on top of it, there are countless games like that on the market. GW2 is pretty unique in that it hands out rewards differently than most other games, honoring the commitment of players more evenly and fairly than many others. It's what's drawn a large amount of the playerbase to this game. I doubt they'll ever change that, especially not to simply be more like every other game out there.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> To address the comments about rewards.

>

> Gw1 could have better rewards as it was closer to a single player game than a true mmo. It was a lobby game with instanced maps and no trading post. You can reward players with unique drops easier in games where there is little or no trading. However once you get a game with a large number of players and a trading post then it’s very difficult to give players unique rewards. If the item has even a moderate chance of dropping and isn’t accountbound then the trading post price will be low and it won’t be a “good reward”. If the drop is rare then most people will never see it and it won’t be a “good reward” for the average player as most will have to farm gold to buy it. The only way an mmo can have “good rewards” is for most drops to be account bound, which damages the trading post and prevents people from selling drops they don’t want.

>

> In spite of your happy memories of trading drops in gw1 most people did not find it fun to spend valuable playing time spamming wtb/wts in trade chat hoping that someone would buy their item. I had lots of nice items drop in gw1 and they sit in my inventory to this day because I had no use for them and spamming wts in Spamadon was boring as heck. They might as well not dropped for me as they were nothing more than inventory fillers.

>

>

Personally I think account bound unique drops is the perfect way to go. ArenaNet just needs to relax the drop rate to about 0.1% for future items. Currently its 1 in a 100,000 for super rare drops which is too extreme. So its literally 0.001%.

I think the problem here is your interpretation of "special/unique/rare reward" seems to be entirely based on how much gold you can sell it for.

GW2 has a **huge** amount of unique rewards. Every Living Story episode has at least 1 unique armour skin, each of the 8 dungeons has a full 3 sets of unique armour skins and a full set of weapons, Fractals, Raids, WvW, PvP all have their own unique skins and items, and of course there's random drops too like named exotics and precursors. (And the odd rare/masterwork/fine item which has a unique skin like the Tailpipe Bandanna.) But the majority of them are account bound, because they're designed to reward the person who actually completed the content, not the one who bought it from a farmer.

Some of them can be sold but like JaFW said they typically fall into two categories - easy enough for anyone to farm and therefore not actually worth a huge amount because anyone can farm them and so rare they're not practical for most people to farm. Invisible shoes are a great example of the second type -they're farmable in the sense that we know the specific events they drop from and those can be completed several times a day if you want to, but they're so rare you could farm them every day for weeks and not get any. But that's why they're worth so much - the minute Anet increase the drop rate the price will crash because everyone who wants them will farm their own instead of buying it.

IMO the solution here is to adjust how you think about making gold - instead of looking for individual items which can sell for large amounts look for items you can sell large amounts of. For example the Istan farm which is currently considered one of the most profitable in the game isn't reliant on getting a special drop everyone wants - instead it works on getting items which can be salvaged into large amounts of valuable crafting materials that sell for a lot in total.

Or, find skins and items you like - the ones you'd use that gold to buy - and work on getting them yourself.

I remember GW1 being much less rewarding. Yes you had uniques for specific dungeons and mobs, but the chances of getting them even after countless grinding over and over and over was so poor, it wasn't worth bothering

GW1 was a great game, but there are a lot of rose tinted memories of it that overlook a lot of the specific complaints during the time

I also don't understand why this perception of "babying" players is necs a bad thing. Whilst there are plenty of things to work for in the game or that challenge a lot of us, there are plenty of other games that make you grind for the hope of 1 reward or that challenge you in multiple ways. GW2 has to cater to a huge audience and it can't just set the bar at one level. There will be plenty of really easy things that everyone can get involved in and that isn't a bad thing. In fact that seems to be a big factor in what has made GW2 so popular.

> anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago !

The words "challenge" and "gw1" don't really combine well. All the content in gw1 was perfectly doable solo without even having a proper build for yourself. Chill and enjoy as npcs are doing the content for you so I don't understand where challenge is coming from in gw1.

> unique farms with special rewards only given to that specific dungeon was the right way

Yes, that's what happens in GW2, content types have their exclusive/specific rewards. Meanwhile, in GW1 you could solo farm vaettirs til your eyes bled and then buy those "special" rewards without actually running the content. Talking about running specific content... what a joke

> i remember doing soosc farms for extremely rare bds staffs and farming for voltaic spears . these specific items were traded on a elite level of player market designation .

Oh yes, let's have ultra rare items with abysmal low chances of dropping, such good game design.

> i feel like the gaming society today babies players and just makes everything easy these days .

This is true.

Judging by your comments I assume you never tried T4/CM Fractals and you never tried Raids. Try those first and then talk about challenge and specific rewards.

The only thing they lost is their gritty storytelling.

In gw1 there was a constant looming danger, i remember feeling actually depressed after ascalon fell.

I haven’t felt something like that in gw2 at all.

What sense of dread and threat in gw1 has been replaced by happy adventures.

I’m not saying gw2 is bad, but its different.

In terms of anime.. i guess GW1 was Berserk, and GW2 is like Fairy Tail

I think the primary reason is, you can’t fail in gw2. Even if you try to lose, you will still win.

The only thing players control is how fast they win. You can ultimately beat the game in your underwear, nibbling away any bosses’ health while dying a hundred times.

You didn’t have that in gw1. Failure is failure, and that gives a sense if threat.

I didnt think of balthazar and joko as a threat because I knew ahead of time i would kill them, with or without my armor intact.

The structured itemization prevents uniqueness.

I'd rather have all Level 80 berserker's exotic swords have the same stats than having to craft a sword a tens of thousand of times and discard tens of thousands of drops to get the same stats as someone who happened to get lucky.

There's games with RNG itemization, and even those are better when there's some grindy mechanic to slowly improve the stats of the gear you get to max numbers and replace some of their properties for those who do not get lucky.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> If gw1 is so much better then why not play it instead of Gw2?

That argument is old and does not make the least bit of sense. GW1 does no longer provide new content - playing the "same old, same old" a million times over again isn't fun, regardless of how much you love the game.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> I remember GW1 being much less rewarding. Yes you had uniques for specific dungeons and mobs, but the chances of getting them even after countless grinding over and over and over was so poor, it wasn't worth bothering

>

> GW1 was a great game, but there are a lot of rose tinted memories of it that overlook a lot of the specific complaints during the time

>

> I also don't understand why this perception of "babying" players is necs a bad thing. Whilst there are plenty of things to work for in the game or that challenge a lot of us, there are plenty of other games that make you grind for the hope of 1 reward or that challenge you in multiple ways. GW2 has to cater to a huge audience and it can't just set the bar at one level. There will be plenty of really easy things that everyone can get involved in and that isn't a bad thing. In fact that seems to be a big factor in what has made GW2 so popular.

I agree.

I remember GW1's trade system being really frustrating too. It was ok if you wanted to buy one of those popularly farmed drops and brilliant if you wanted to sell one, but extremely frustrating for anything else because no one wanted to waste their time spamming chat trying to sell something unless it was worth a lot.

For example I once decided I wanted a gold rarity [bladed Recurve Bow](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Bladed_Recurve_Bow "Bladed Recurve Bow"). It's not a super-rare item, it can drop anywhere in PoF or EoTN so it should be easy to find, but because it's not a rare item and there isn't high demand for it I found it virtually impossible to find someone _selling one_, and I had no luck farming one myself. In the end I had to stand in the Eye of the North map and spam chat with adverts hoping to catch someone in the time between when they entered the map with one in their inventory and when they salvaged it or sold it to an NPC. The person who sold it to me told me they were literally just about to vendor it when they saw my message and a few others had told me they'd just gotten rid of one before seeing it.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"sereniity seven.5603" said:

> > anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago !

>

> The words "challenge" and "gw1" don't really combine well. All the content in gw1 was perfectly doable solo without even having a proper build for yourself. Chill and enjoy as npcs are doing the content for you so I don't understand where challenge is coming from in gw1.

I think it would be more accurate to call that a different kind of challenge. GW1 was essentially a deck building game, just using characters instead of cards - the challenge came from putting together a good combination of builds to overcome the enemies you were going to face. Even if during the fight you were letting the NPCs do everything or deliberately _not_ using your skills* you still needed to design good builds for them so they'd be able to do that - and unlock the skills they needed. I met more than one person who made the mistake of taking people who said "take this set of heroes" literally and tried to beat various areas of the game with the NPCs default builds, and of course failed horribly.

*This was called wanding. One option for beating the doppleganger on some professions is to equip a set of useless skills and then just auto-attack them to death while they wasted their time spamming skills that wouldn't work. It's an extremely simple strategy to carry out but takes a fair bit of ingenuity to think of.

Of course that's where deck-building games of all types can fall down - it's very easy to let someone else figure it out and then just copy their plan instead of coming up with your own. But there's similar ways to get around the challenge in most games if you want to.

> @"MithranArkanere.8957" said:

> The structured itemization prevents uniqueness.

>

> I'd rather have all Level 80 berserker's exotic swords have the same stats than having to craft a sword a tens of thousand of times and discard tens of thousands of drops to get the same stats as someone who happened to get lucky.

>

> There's games with RNG itemization, and even those are better when there's some grindy mechanic to slowly improve the stats of the gear you get to max numbers and replace some of their properties for those who do not get lucky.

I'm confused, are you saying this is a problem with GW1 or GW2? Because in GW2 all level 80 beserker's exotic swords do have the same stats. In GW1 weapons with the same level and rarity could have different stats, but only if you got them as a random drop. "Crafted" weapons (bought from crafters with materials) were always the same.

There are many differences between GW1 and GW2 and we all have our preferences. I do think GW1 is the better game in various areas still but it's a game that is no longer updated as development for it was abandoned in favour of developing GW2.

GW2 isn't all bad and in a time where good MMOs are becoming more rare GW2 has an easier time shining. I still think the story isn't great (vanilla was terrible). I still think there's too much forced lightness and contrived humour in a world that is besieged and some more seriousness would be a better fit for what's actually happening, because it simply would make it all more believable to me. As a solo player though I can enjoy some crafting, map clearing, some meta events and such. And it's for that that I play the game.

I think for actual group content and more serious things like raiding and PvP, GW2 is just not a good game at all. GW1 had much more going on with PvP and zones like DoA, UW and Urgoz etc. were challenging particularly at first. I think later some of the PvE only skills got out of control but by then ArenaNet was already pretty much set on making GW2. It left the game with speed clearers but this content on release was tough as nails. DoA especially was just impossible at first and they had to nerf the area effects to make it even possible for groups to get through and even then it was really tough.

It doesn't mean that GW2 has to do such things. With how different the game is, it's clear that another group of fans would come to the game and this has been the case. And hey if it works, then it works. It's just not a game that I take seriously in the sense of really getting into deeply and taking the challenge etc. Once I accepted that GW2 was never going to be anything like GW1 (took a while but I got there), I could enjoy the game for what it was: a casual pass time. And that's cool. Will I ever think back of all the amazing challenges and stories I experience in GW2? No, that remains with GW1. But I am enjoying the game casually and I think that anyone who takes things like PvP and Raiding seriously in this game is mad. Not to insult them but it's just what I think because I don't get how you could take this seriously to any depth...but that's me. Doesn't mean I own the truth, it's just my view because of how I see the combat system and how boss fights etc. are done in GW2. I don't see how anyone can take it seriously. However, and I think that's the strength, GW2 doesn't require you to take it seriously. And once I got that point, I started enjoying GW2 a lot more.

The way I look at this. If you take this game seriously and enjoy it that way...keep doing it. I don't get it. I think you're mad but who cares? You're enjoying it so that's good. If you want to like this game but are having trouble, maybe you're a bit like me. Stop seeing this game as what you think it should've been or should be and just look at which bits are actually fun or make sense to you. If that doesn't work, leave it be. It won't change drastically from what it is. I needed to go from a more serious gamer who did raid and such in other games to a casual player who mostly soloes and just jumps into map events whenever it suits me and that works. For that reason it's good that this game doesn't have a sub.

The only person who is right about what's better or more enjoyable for you is you. Nobody else. This game isn't for serious gaming in the traditional sense. It's a more casual farm game mostly and if you want to take it seriously it's because you choose to do so, not because the game is to be taken seriously. Again, that's my view. But there is no way that a discussion about GW2 and GW1 and which is better will ever result in a winning side. I do agree with the OP but my answer to him is therefore what I described above. Whatever it is you and I liked about GW1, it's not going to be in GW2. Do with that what you will.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> The only thing they lost is their gritty storytelling.

> In gw1 there was a constant looming danger, i remember feeling actually depressed after ascalon fell.

> I haven’t felt something like that in gw2 at all.

> What sense of dread and threat in gw1 has been replaced by happy adventures.

>

> I’m not saying gw2 is bad, but its different.

>

> In terms of anime.. i guess GW1 was Berserk, and GW2 is like Fairy Tail

>

> I think the primary reason is, you can’t fail in gw2. Even if you try to lose, you will still win.

> The only thing players control is how fast they win. You can ultimately beat the game in your underwear, nibbling away any bosses’ health while dying a hundred times.

> You didn’t have that in gw1. Failure is failure, and that gives a sense if threat.

> I didnt think of balthazar and joko as a threat because I knew ahead of time i would kill them, with or without my armor intact.

One of my favorite characters of all time in the game just had his brother, who he thought would live forever and never have to leave him, sacrifice himself for the greater good.

One of my player character's best friends just told her that she was faking getting better and that she is actually steadily on her way to death.

We found out previously that all we had done to "save" the world had actually made it critically unstable and we needed to try and avoid a major catastrophe by killing a being that was once worshipped by people (and depending on the race you play and choices you made, *you* specifically).

In the personal story a character we bonded with in our story gives up their life to save others. When I played the personal story the first time I had to get up and leave my computer for a bit because it made me depressed.

In Living story season 2 we learned that Caithe had to kill one of the other firstborn, which is like a sibling but even closer, to keep the person she loved from torturing the other for information.

In HoT we watched one of our heros, someone we looked up to, die in front of not only our eyes, but the eyes of her son whom she had made promises to that can now never be fulfilled. This is revisited when we get to meet her ghost and she has to talk to her son and explain to him that yes, everything they had hoped for after uniting as a family was never going to happen now, that the future they planned was dead.

And now we have learned that one of the biggest threats to us has managed to breach the mists. A place we don't even know what it holds, full of unknown magics. One of the most aggressive elder dragons is now capable of showing up literally anywhere from between time and space.

"Happy Adventures"

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Of course that's where deck-building games of all types can fall down - it's very easy to let someone else figure it out and then just copy their plan instead of coming up with your own. But there's similar ways to get around the challenge in most games if you want to.

The difference between GW1 and GW2 is that once you got that deck ready there was very little for you, as a player, to do to influence fights, as the deck was played by the AI. On the other hand, having the best build, that some other person created, in GW2, doesn't make you proficient in using it because a human must use it, not an AI. I've seen more than enough players thinking that just because they copied a build from a website, it makes them excellent players. It doesn't.

> i have played gw since the early release many many years ago. i have traveled the sands in cantha and marched my way through the doors of droknars forge. i even came across that old legendary merchant named Nicholas the traveler .. i have to say the direction anet moved to is a total disaster . gw2 is nothing but a inflated market town game with no special reward system and no unique trades . anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago ! . unique farms with special rewards only given to that specific dungeon was the right way. i remember doing soosc farms for extremely rare bds staffs and farming for voltaic spears . these specific items were traded on a elite level of player market designation . i feel like the gaming society today babies players and just makes everything easy these days . players no longer create better trades. pointless farming for dungeon tokens that serve no rarity just a waist of time . IMO anet even getting rid of the precursor forging was a mistake and destroyed the rarity and challenge of the name legendary. where has the direction of gaming today gone? who knows you dancing p nut.

That translates as the OP not enjoying the direction that ANet has taken, which is different from "ANet lost its direction."

On top of that, the OP has made certain assumptions about what is fun and what isn't. Some of the things that the OP liked about GW1 are things that I disliked. There were, for me, no "unique farms with special rewards." The chance of getting the cool weapon from a specific dungeon was slim or none. I like random rewards, I really do. I don't like how, in GW1, that was the only way to obtain an interesting skin... without any guarantee that the stats on the actual item would be of use to me. Plus, the only "challenging" part was how many times I was willing to do something before I burnt out entirely.

> these specific items were traded on a elite level of player market designation

You mean standing around Kamadan waiting for someone to happen to be there at the same time and willing to pay the exorbitant price the market expected. The BL Trading Post is much more fair, because everyone has access to the same data, unlike in GW1. Don't get me wrong: I loved bartering. All my friends and associates in GW2 are ultimately an indirect result of the connections I made through GW1 trading. But it's much better for the vast majority of the community to have easy-access to a shared market.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago ! unique farms with special rewards only given to that specific dungeon was the right way.

> What's so challenging about farming the same content over and over and over again? I remember a previous MMO I played, where I went a whole raid season raiding twice a week with a static group and the numbers of rare drops we got during that time wasn't even enough so that every member of the group would get one, despite the fact that that level of equipment was pretty much required for endgame play. That kind of system isn't challenging, it's simply insulting to the time commitment players make.

>

> Personally I think ANet did something incredibly right when designing this game's reward system, as it honors everyone playing and every content you can play, not just the lucky few that drop the big-ticket items in the flavor of the month instance.

>

There isn't anything particularly challenging about that. Also **it is still in GW2** if you really want to. There are items in various parts of the game you can repeat over and over with low drop rates and decently high prices.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > these specific items were traded on a elite level of player market designation

> You mean standing around Kamadan waiting for someone to happen to be there at the same time and willing to pay the exorbitant price the market expected. The BL Trading Post is much more fair, because everyone has access to the same data, unlike in GW1. Don't get me wrong: I loved bartering. All my friends and associates in GW2 are ultimately an indirect result of the connections I made through GW1 trading. But it's much better for the vast majority of the community to have easy-access to a shared market.

In other words it is much harder to take advantage of other people's ignorance. Everyone has access to the prices and there are plenty of places with price history. The ability to place buy orders also means you can pay the price you want without having to waste your time. You can wait for a seller while you play instead of being held up in town.

> > anet nailed gw1 and gave the players actual challenge years ago !

>

> The words "challenge" and "gw1" don't really combine well. All the content in gw1 was perfectly doable solo without even having a proper build for yourself. Chill and enjoy as npcs are doing the content for you so I don't understand where challenge is coming from in gw1.

>

Oh please... Kindly post your teambuilds for unattended NPC-clearing UW, The Deep and DoA - Let alone in HM.

> Judging by your comments I assume you never tried T4/CM Fractals and you never tried Raids. Try those first and then talk about challenge and specific rewards.

>

Sounds a lot like a pot/kettle situation...

And no, I don't think Anet "lost" their direction - They just started changing direction more radically around EotN as you mentioned. (They also flipped a bit back end forth with Factions and Nightfall).

Some of us still prefer Guild Wars over GW2 - That does not make GW2 a lesser game.

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > Of course that's where deck-building games of all types can fall down - it's very easy to let someone else figure it out and then just copy their plan instead of coming up with your own. But there's similar ways to get around the challenge in most games if you want to.

>

> The difference between GW1 and GW2 is that once you got that deck ready there was very little for you, as a player, to do to influence fights, as the deck was played by the AI. On the other hand, having the best build, that some other person created, in GW2, doesn't make you proficient in using it because a human must use it, not an AI. I've seen more than enough players thinking that just because they copied a build from a website, it makes them excellent players. It doesn't.

To be fair, GW did not devolve into a "the NPC's can win all fights for you" game until the game was relatively close to being abandoned in favor of GW2 development. Heroes did not become available at all until Nightfall. Nightfall was released in October, 2006. GW2 -- and the plan to end GW development after EotN, was announced in March, 2007.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > If gw1 is so much better then why not play it instead of Gw2?

>

> That argument is old and does not make the least bit of sense. GW1 does no longer provide new content - playing the "same old, same old" a million times over again isn't fun, regardless of how much you love the game.

But doenst OP want to play the „same old, same old“ in Gw2 instead of Gw1?

He clearly doesnt like change so even if gw1 would be updated, it would also be the „same old“ again or OP would complain again.