Griffon Upgrades

Of those choices I like wyvern the best but ANet and other game devs have talked about the coding nightmare that is involved in linking two characters. GW2 doesn't even have /follow, so it's a mere daydream to have two seater mounts. Or waltzing. I've wanted MMO waltzing for a long time.

> @"Donari.5237" said:

> Of those choices I like wyvern the best but ANet and other game devs have talked about the coding nightmare that is involved in linking two characters. GW2 doesn't even have /follow, so it's a mere daydream to have two seater mounts. Or waltzing. I've wanted MMO waltzing for a long time.

Hey, thanks for commenting!

I'm sure it's a nightmare to code, but they have an invite to dance emote. It would definitely be interesting if they could come up with a way to implement it, and I'm sure that if they know we want it bad enough they'll find a way. Here's to hoping! Merry Wintersday.

> @"Neeman Oria.7504" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > Of those choices I like wyvern the best but ANet and other game devs have talked about the coding nightmare that is involved in linking two characters. GW2 doesn't even have /follow, so it's a mere daydream to have two seater mounts. Or waltzing. I've wanted MMO waltzing for a long time.

>

> Hey, thanks for commenting!

>

> I'm sure it's a nightmare to code, but they have an invite to dance emote. It would definitely be interesting if they could come up with a way to implement it, and I'm sure that if they know we want it bad enough they'll find a way. Here's to hoping! Merry Wintersday.

That invite to dance emote is ancient too, but no there are somethings that will never be added, it should be noted that they did toy around with the idea in closed beta tests(you can find videos on youtube), but they never took it out of closed beta stage(along with the wyvern mount they actually where planning on adding.).

Its a neat idea, and i would like a wyvern mount.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> Honestly there is a potential method for such a thing. Remember the spider broodmother carrying the Commander and Braham during A Star to Guide Us?

>

> But either way, I wouldn't want such a mount. Personally I'd likely get zero use out of it.

Makes me wonder if that was Anets way of testing out the "Carry" system?

> @"starhunter.6015" said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > Honestly there is a potential method for such a thing. Remember the spider broodmother carrying the Commander and Braham during A Star to Guide Us?

> >

> > But either way, I wouldn't want such a mount. Personally I'd likely get zero use out of it.

>

> Makes me wonder if that was Anets way of testing out the "Carry" system?

>

This sounds like you'd end up with one player doing all the heavy lifting while another player stows in back unable to do anything. This sounds like riveting gameplay.

FF14 was able to implement 2 person mounts after some time. iirc originally the game only had 1seater/person mounts.

the way it worked was that you(owner/driver) and the passenger had to be in the same party → the owner/driver mounts up → and then the passenger right clicks the owner/driver to select the option to ride your mount ;; should the owner dismount, it automatically dismounts the passenger as well.

all that said, i vote for the wyvern as a direct upgrade to the griffon (since it seems to be the most logical upgrade path, thematically, among the choices presented)

Only 1 correct choice here: **SAB choppter**.

But, and this is the major reason to go SAB choppter, it has to make a constant loud SAB noise which other players can not mute!

On a more serious note, SAB choppter without the noise would be cool too. :)

EDIT: thinking about this a moment, any SAB mount pack is an instant buy for me. I do agree with people who dislike SAB though that it might be disruptive to the games overall feel. Still I love SAB stuff.

Games fixed this problem by having tech that had an entity copy the cosmetics of the characters onto the model. Positioning the characters on a mount where scaling isn't an issue.

If they ever incorporate vehicles or ships, its likely we'll get something where we can control an object moving since the tech where we can ride objects exists. Maybe in an expansion after the next over the large sea.

> @"Neeman Oria.7504" said:

> > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > Of those choices I like wyvern the best but ANet and other game devs have talked about the coding nightmare that is involved in linking two characters. GW2 doesn't even have /follow, so it's a mere daydream to have two seater mounts. Or waltzing. I've wanted MMO waltzing for a long time.

>

> Hey, thanks for commenting!

>

> I'm sure it's a nightmare to code, but they have an invite to dance emote. It would definitely be interesting if they could come up with a way to implement it, and I'm sure that if they know we want it bad enough they'll find a way. Here's to hoping! Merry Wintersday.

Invite to dance is different thought - all it does is 'unlock' access to new dance moves on the character invited to dance, you're still each doing your own separate dances with no interaction between the characters. Whereas what Donari (and quite a few other people) wants is a way for two characters to dance together - holding hands and moving around each other.

It's not the UI that's a problem with things like this - adding a button to invite another player to dance with you or ride on your mount is relatively easy, it's what happens after that which is difficult - making the two characters move together as if they're one entity when they haven't been programmed to act like that.

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> Honestly there is a potential method for such a thing. Remember the spider broodmother carrying the Commander and Braham during A Star to Guide Us?

>

> But either way, I wouldn't want such a mount. Personally I'd likely get zero use out of it.

But does that actually carry two characters? Or does it carry your character and Braham is just 'teleported' to the new location? You can get away with things like that with NPCs, as long as the player can't see it happening. I can't remember if you can see Braham being carried (I did my best not to see the spider at all and just look at the skill bar) but even then it could be that he was built into the spider model, since they knew it would be Braham who was carried and what he'd look like.

Vehicles are often done strangely in games, because doing them 'properly' probably requires a lot of unique code and unless you know you're going to have a lot of them it may not be worth the time and effort to build and maintain that system. Think of it like the computer equivalent of putting cut flowers in a pint glass instead of a vase - you could go out and buy a vase but if you never buy cut flowers and this was a one-off gift it's probably not worth it so you use the nearest thing you have, even if it's not ideal. There's a train in one of the Fallout games which is actually a hat - you see a train moving along the tracks, but in reality your character i wearing a train hat and running below the tracks - because that's what got it working. In another MMO (LOTR?) all mounts are actually trousers which give a speed boost as far as the game is concerned and apparently in GW2 they replace your character model with a combined character+mount one.

Which doesn't mean it's not possible to add a two person mount, but it might be far harder than it seems. Computers are like that, things which are extremely difficult or impossible in real life (like teleportation) are very simple and things which seem easy (like walking down a slope to your destination) can be incredibly complicated and may involve a bit of "cheating" where you settle for something which looks right and doesn't break anything even if 'behind the scenes' it looks crazy.

So, yes it would be relatively simple for them to design a mount which is big enough to hold two characters, and to add the necessary UI elements to give us the option to invite someone to ride with us and to accept and to get off when you want to. But if they can't get two characters to move together as if they're on one mount because the mount **is** one of the characters and there is no way in the game to set one player character to follow another then it doesn't really matter how the UI would work. And again they probably could design a system to make that happen but...is it worth it? Would it actually get enough use to justify the time spent making it, and would that be uses Anet want to encourage, or would it be things they don't necessarily want us doing, like skipping gates (physical or otherwise) they don't want us getting around because getting past it is part of how you learn about the game.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> But does that actually carry two characters? Or does it carry your character and Braham is just 'teleported' to the new location? You can get away with things like that with NPCs, as long as the player can't see it happening. I can't remember if you can see Braham being carried (I did my best not to see the spider at all and just look at the skill bar) but even then it could be that he was built into the spider model, since they knew it would be Braham who was carried and what he'd look like.

I don't know how it is with Braham, but if you play in party with 4 more people, everyone of you will be carried by spider. Spider will pick you one by one, so there will be the moment when one person is carried and 4 are on the ground, then 2 in a cocoon and 3 on the ground, et cetera.

It was quite funny first time, when we though it's just attack of the spider, and then it turned out that it's going to catch us all one by one to carry us in one time to the other place.

> @"Aracz.4702" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > But does that actually carry two characters? Or does it carry your character and Braham is just 'teleported' to the new location? You can get away with things like that with NPCs, as long as the player can't see it happening. I can't remember if you can see Braham being carried (I did my best not to see the spider at all and just look at the skill bar) but even then it could be that he was built into the spider model, since they knew it would be Braham who was carried and what he'd look like.

>

> I don't know how it is with Braham, but if you play in party with 4 more people, everyone of you will be carried by spider. Spider will pick you one by one, so there will be the moment when one person is carried and 4 are on the ground, then 2 in a cocoon and 3 on the ground, et cetera.

> It was quite funny first time, when we though it's just attack of the spider, and then it turned out that it's going to catch us all one by one to carry us in one time to the other place.

However, are all characters visible when carried?

I don't recall *any* character being really visible, but it when by pretty fast and I was honestly not too fond of looking closely either.

I'm thinking it just hides the characters...