Sex appeal and armour design in Guild Wars 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTH are you talking about? What kind of arsenal martial artist go up against? Fists? Do you realize this show has nothing to do with real fight for life or death? It’s just a sport and so it follows some generic rules.

Besides; I’m not talking about getting as bulky as possible, although that would be generally the best idea for survival. I’m talking about armors that are somewhat cohesive with the lore. Most NPC armors are, yet most player characters look like freakin’ clauns. GW1 had some really nice armor sets that were lore-friendly. GW2 on the other hand looks like it doesn’t really know what it wants to be; both in lore and gameplay design. It tries hard to cater to so wide spectrum of players that nothing about it is exceptional.

> @"Zin Dau.1749" said:

> If function is so important, why don't all classes just wear the bulkiest heavy armor, instead of separating them into three armor clasees?

>

> How much armor do modern fighters wear? Such as boxers, wrestlers, UFC, martial artists. and even modern military soldiers, how much armor do they wear considering they go up against arsenal that is more lethal than previos ages?

Honestly, there are still practical reasons to not use the heavy armor all the time. One example is that in the desert heavy armor is actually just going to cook you inside and reduce your stamina. In this regard, cloth is your best bet as wars are won by attrition and fitness of the soldier than the armor's ability to ward off attack. In cooler climates something similar is there where extra weight would bog you down, so lighter and more flexible material would likely be more ideal.

Overall, there are advantages and disadvantages to most everything. In the end, its fantasy and I am fine with people doing fantasy armor rather than realism. Realism in games is boring as hell. There are reasons people make short cuts with games and curb realism at times.

> @"Tailcoat.6920" said:

> I haven't played my Norn much yet (I was drawn to play Asura, Charr, and Sylvari more) but I get nervous that I'll get unwanted attention in some of those light armors. Also, it's winter where I am, so I'd prefer not to imagine how horribly cold those poor bikini'ed characters would be in the snow, ha ha. ;) I assume Norns are pretty cold resistant though.

>

As the proud owner of a scantily clad, babilicious norn and human, I can tell you that the attention you get is minimal. Rarely you'll draw the eye of a pixel dater. Most of the time it is in jest, or you'll get people wanting to know the face/hairstyle/armor that you're wearing.

> @"Zin Dau.1749" said:

> Pixel emits visual data. If you don't get at least > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > > After 13 years of online gaming I still wonder why folk get turned on by pixels.

> > Why not? The mere idea of sex can turn a person on. That's just a thought. You can see someone fully dressed and be turned on. The brain requires a suggestion. If you don't have any reaction at all to depictions of sex or sexuality, I can only conclude that your imagination is rather limited. There's a reason they say the brain is the largest sexual organ in the human body and not your genitalia. But seriously if you don't get it then your brain is too literal for that I guess.

> >

>

> Yep. Pixels emit visual data. If you don't see how people react to vsiual stimulus, why you even comment on this fashion thread--what is fashion but to appeal to visual senses.

well excuse me for having a point of view! And for not understanding that others will choose to agree/disagree with you without conflict then you too are excused.

But for me sexy is when my Hubby wakes up in the morning.

I would like more Dark Souls kind of armor, more realistic and the ones that are more fantasy like are still cool, but i dont mind revealing armor...but the OP says he plays female Norn...come on, T2 and T3 norn are pretty revealing....there are plenty of armors in game that are like that, Pit fighter, Barbarian, Arah set, and a couple of others that i dont remenber by name.

> @"Tailcoat.6920" said:

>Also, it's winter where I am, so I'd prefer not to imagine how horribly cold those poor bikini'ed characters would be in the snow, ha ha. ;) I assume Norns are pretty cold resistant though.

>

Character: "We wear furs to honor the Spirits, not to keep warm."

Asura: "Yes, I've seen what passes for clothing around here. The spirits do not require modesty! Or hygiene. Or manners. No offense."

Yes, we need more armors that accentuate the beauty of the male form. Let’s show off those adventuring glutes and v-lines.

Also, stop nerfing male butts? The new holiday outfit has a nice curvy butt on the humanoid female form, but is absolutely flat and dumpy on the male form. Do not fear the booty!

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> Why not look at real women tho? Never understood this.

And when real women don't look as good? I mean, would you rather people hold women to higher beauty standards? As is, I like my real women with natural curvs and my fantasy women... With other attributes.

> @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

>

> Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

>

> So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

>

> Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

>

> **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

The only thing I am curious about is...

Does the fact you "workout" at the gym fit in here someplace? I mean you could go lift a park bench or dead lift a rock near a river and still get a workout right?

I would suggest working out in the "mists",

I'd say give attention to both male and female. At worse, I can still dress my male chars (I play my own gender) conservatively if I wish, and seeing other male chars running about scantily clad is not that lore Breaking or immersion Breaking. Charrs and Norns do it all the time, and I can easily excuse the rest as berserkers or tribal mages. Therefore I see no issue with that whatsoever. It would even be rather refreshing, having pieces of armors that change a bit from the established norm of coveralls. They do it well for females, giving them shorts and almost tank-top armors, I dont see why they couldn't do it for males as well, it wouldn't raise much of an issue. As long as it's done smartly.

To be fair, I'd also love some very detailed, highly realistic armors as well. I tend to prefer those for my chars. I just wouldn't mind if others wanted eye candy instead.

> @"BlueJin.4127" said:

> I don’t agree that bikini armors are any more ridiculous than other armors designed for sex appeal. They’re both designed for the same reason, whereas real life armors are not about sex appeal.

>

> Personally, I want some thong armors, like Ivy from Soul Calibur and Cammy from Street Fighter. GW (even GW1) has almost no armors that show a character’s butt. :angry:

Yaaaassss

> @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

>

> Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

>

> So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

>

> Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

>

> **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

No we need less sex apeal and morr gender neutral amors. For this is a 12+ game

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> > @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> > Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

> >

> > Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

> >

> > So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

> >

> > Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

> >

> > **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

>

> No we need less sex apeal and morr gender neutral amors. For this is a 12+ game

‘We’ is a subjective term. You (and likely others) would prefer that.

Many others would like the status quo.

Still others want more sex appeal.

None of these are ‘needs’.

So some people don't understand that sex appeal is about our imagination, not about what we see. And these people don't understand that sexual desire has nothing to do with age and maturity, since people do not just become asexual as they get older. And it is these same people who are making childish insults at people like the OP saying they're childish, not because the OP said anything to insult these people first, but simply because people like the OP have a different opinion.

Hmm...

> @"AzureTerra.1642" said:

> Sexy Armour for me at least is armour that actually looks like it can withstand hits and not drive weapons into vital area's or leave substantial portions uncovered

Yes!! <3 Now _there's_ a definition of "sexy." :+1: I sometimes have to wonder what the devs were thinking when I look at certain (mostly female) armor sets. ;)

@ devs: Please, please, please - go back to the roots of what good fantasy-style armor sets look like, ones that one can take seriously as actual adventurers' armor with a cool, classy design. Don't turn this game more and more into an Asian-style "vixen MMO" with high heels, bare thighs and what not. Please. :'(

i'm all for sex appeal, as long as it's equal, if it's not it starts to reek or sexism. so give both gender somewhat equal amounts of sexy and conservative/realistic armor sets. but no more full armor coverage for males and tank top with some skirts/boots for females, it looks ridiculous.

> @"Omernon.9762" said:

> > @"AzureTerra.1642" said:

> > Sexy Armour for me at least is armour that actually looks like it can withstand hits and not drive weapons into vital area's or leave substantial portions uncovered

>

> Pretty much this. This is so immersion breaking to see all of these half-naked toons running around with flashy weapons that make no sense at all. Although GW2 is still better than almost any other MMORPG out there, because it has some weapons and armor sets that are both pretty realistic and visually appealing.

>

> ArenaNet designers should also open up any history book about castles and medieval walfare, so they can see how defensive structures should really look like and why were they build that way, because good 90% of all defensive structures in this game (be it castle, stronghold, or walled camp) don’t have any defensive value in them...

>

>

What makes you think Areanet cares about realism regarding medieval warfare? If you find half-naked toons running around immersion breaking, you might want to stay away from gw1. Fantasy always played a role in their design, even back then: It was more D+D inspired. (Though, unlike gw1, you can turn off other toon models in this game.) I couldn't give a shit what armor designs people want as long as we get more of them and they don't have that shitty tungsten stained glass texture on them.