Chef ingredients - need lots deposited in material storage.

Frie.2073

There are so, so many items which cannot be used other than to craft other chef recipes that must sit in your vault - examples: simple chili seasoning; island fruit paste, tropical dressing, risotto base, stir fry base, walnut crumble topping. I counted 14 slots taken up by ingredients and I avoid making these things because I know they will just clog up my bank. It would really be great if all these types of ingredients could go into material storage. I know the game wants to sell more storage, but the chef is just crazy with ingredients.

• 2 months later...

> @"Crystal Cat.3867" said:

> I just need to know which Non deposit cooking recipes will be used later, so many that will not deposit, but are craft recipes, Help lol !

You can use the Wiki to look up intermediate ingredients and/or recipes.

@OP - There won't be more intermediate cooking ingredients added to Material Storage, as Material Storage is limited, and needed for future materials. You can use the 'Search' function to find the Dev posts from Lindsey Murdock on this topic.

Good luck.

It's quite aggravating.

It's also rather difficult to keep your inventory cleared when different recipes require different amounts of a certain ingredient thus requiring specific calculating of exactly what you need beforehand. I always end up with something extra or forgetting I had some in the bank or not having enough of something thus left with several stacks of unused materials.

I honestly have no ideas on how this can be remedied.

The good news is that vast majority of food can be bought on the TP for about the same cost as crafting (if not much, much lower). For the exceptions, the UI makes it easy to craft just what you need by starting with your final recipe and using the 'magnifying glass' icon to complete the prep.

My feeling is that it would be worse to create storage space for _every_ intermediate recipe, as it just bloats storage without adding much in true convenience.

The one thing they could do would be to have a button for "do all my prep work, too" (bypassing the nested menus under the magnifying glass). I hope they don't do that: one of the few things I like about Chef over the other disciplines is that it's a lot like actual cooking. (Without having to clean 5 prep bowls per finished dish.)

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Im just suprised that with finite space that 11 shards of gen 2.5 legendaries made the cut.

It fits the long-ago stated goal of ANet's (based on player suggestions) to make it easier for people to work on legendaries at their own pace. That intermediate step of creating account bound shards could take up slots for months, whereas the chef's stuff is tradeable.

(I don't really agree with ANet; it's just my paraphrase of the dev's explanation. I also would have put something else there.)

PS about to be 12 types of shards.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The one thing they could do would be to have a button for "do all my prep work, too" (bypassing the nested menus under the magnifying glass). I hope they don't do that: one of the few things I like about Chef over the other disciplines is that it's a lot like actual cooking. (Without having to clean 5 prep bowls per finished dish.)

I have to disagree with you here, at least for other materials. I want to be able to click one button to craft a bolt of damask, for instance, instead of crafting all the other parts first. If I have all the raw materials, It should do it for me. Yes its a bit lazy, but its also a quality of life thing.

> @"Malganis.7468" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

>

> > The one thing they could do would be to have a button for "do all my prep work, too" (bypassing the nested menus under the magnifying glass). I hope they don't do that: one of the few things I like about Chef over the other disciplines is that it's a lot like actual cooking. (Without having to clean 5 prep bowls per finished dish.)

>

> I have to disagree with you here, at least for other materials. I want to be able to click one button to craft a bolt of damask, for instance, instead of crafting all the other parts first. If I have all the raw materials, It should do it for me. Yes its a bit lazy, but its also a quality of life thing.

I wonder if they would consider an ‘advanced crafting’ mastery for just this, with one step in acquiring the mastery is having Maxed each crafting discipline.. (Including scribe).

I suspect the reason they don't is to prevent shock.

Can you imagine crafting a minstrels insignia just for leveling crafting? I know when I was leveling I'd make 3-4 of what I could then drag things to make from discovery as opposed to using a guide.

The new lvl 500 chef crafting apparently will be designed specifically to make some of the mid-level stuff relevant, so I wouldn't dump inventory now. I am going to generously assume it will also simplify things so people don't need to keep such a variety of items on hand.

> @"Biff.5312" said:

> The new lvl 500 chef crafting apparently will be designed specifically to make some of the mid-level stuff relevant, so I wouldn't dump inventory now. I am going to generously assume it will also simplify things so people don't need to keep such a variety of items on hand.

Reminder: the crafting increase was mentioned in the block *after* "the next few months" so we can expect it to be *several* months out.

Personally, I wouldn't hold on to anything non-expensive that doesn't go in material storage.