Forum Suggestion: please display hours played

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> A lot of my friends think this is a great idea and they have well over 10k hrs in both gw1 and gw2. Would be nice to talk to people who play the game on the same level.

There is nothing stopping them or you from talking. This request is something that, I believe, is not needed.

If you really want to talk about this topic, fine for me. ^^

Once in a few weeks I encounter some suspicious threads and posts on these forums. It is stuff that looks disturbing to me and I cannot decide whether the post was meant in an ironic way, if there is hatred or disdain as a motive or if it is just a troll. So I take a "look":

At first I just click on the name and get directly forwarded to the persons Account Page. It is a nice little overview of many different things. To make sure I do not miss anything of importance, I open this page in all four language setups, with different tabs. By that time I already know if the person in question is german, french, spanish or none of the three.

Before I start looking for details I quickly scan the badges and the stars. Is there any silver, gold or platinum? If so, lightbulb, thump up or both? I also take a quick look on the amount of comments and discussions by that person and make an easy ratio of: lightbulb+thump / comment+topic. If the ratio is almost 1 and there are silver badges or higher I can almost stop my research and assume some kind of sarcasm or irony in the post that irritated me.

If the ratio does not give me a real clue, I look on the ratio: comments / topics. It should be > 1.

Next up is a quick look on the discussion page(s), any topics closed? Closed means a moderator had to close it. If there is a topic like that, I check the title. In most cases topics are just closed because the discussions went off-topic. How many comments did the topic collect before it was closed? The more it has, the higher the chance it just went off-topic. It is also nice to see if there is a favorite forum-section this person uses to write topics.

Now I take a look on the Helpful marks, clicking on them opens a page with a list of all comments by this person which received a Helpful mark. Any scores higher than 3 per comment? Section of the forum? Any common topic titles? (e. g. balance complaints, suggestions, build-ideas, funny posts)

The Helpful marks are interesting, but not very useful in most cases. The Thumps up are more useful. I just scan through the forum-sections of the thumbs up? What class does he play? What game-mode does he prefer? General attitude? (passive, aggressive, cheerful, helpful, ... etc.) If there are any comments with > 5 Thumps up, I take a look into the comments to see what caused that wide agreement (complaint, suggestion, discussion & personal opinion, etc.).

By then I also have a quick rundown about this persons activity: was there a gap/break? since when are the records? If it does not take too much effort, what was his first post/discussion? That can be pretty interesting, some people join the forums due to frustration about a certain update.

If all that information still is not enough to determine this persons true nature, I log into the game and /friend him. Then I quickly return to server selection and check which server got a +1. Then I go to the Leaderboards, wait for the next tick and I have this persons AP count and when he was last online ingame + the server.

Conclusion: You do not want more transparency on this board. We already have access to a large variety of data about each other, there is no need for more. If you feel you are not accepted as the person you believe you truly are, it is mostly because of how you write your comments. Once in a while we have a few posters on these boards who feel the urge to explain us in huge paragraphs how long they played GW1 and GW2, how many classes they actively played and how much time they spent in sPvP and raiding. That is all nice stuff. But if you have something to say, just say it. If you need to build up special reputation for your post, do not do it at all. We are all human beings and we all can fail. We should never claim to know things better or "the truth." We are part of this community, each of us has his own opinions, ideas and beliefs. We respect each other. Certain prejudices and first impressions cannot be turned off, again we are just humans.

> A lot of my friends think this is a great idea and they have well over 10k hrs in both gw1 and gw2. Would be nice to talk to people who play the game on the same level.

Aren't you already talking to your friends? If you want to find more, form a guild that requires an API key to demonstrate GWAMM and 4-5k minimum hours in GW2.

These forums, however, are open to anyone who plays the game, not just people who are "nice [for you] to talk to."

> I'm getting tired of posting opinions to the forums only to inevitably have someone say "you must be new ect. ect." Or "you must not have been playing long" and then proceed to explain to me the basic mechanics of the game as thought they are being helpful.

>

> As a solution I feel like next to our user names on every post it displays the total number of in game hours played for that account across all characters, so we can see not only who has seniority when speaking but also whether someone knows what they are talking about.

>

> You could even throw In total hours played from gw1 and add that to the total as well, it couldn't hurt.

Oh the irony. To complain about being accused of noobery, only to make a suggestion that begs the question whether or not you are new to forums or internet discussion :P

How would showing the number of hours played validate your or anyone else's opinion? All that's going to do is cause more elitism.

* AFK while at work.

* Continue for a month.

* Have 100+ hours played.

* Use it as a crutch to make people listen to me because I have the 'experience' and all that .

Yep, worked really well for some of the Steam games. Encounter something odd with the lore/gameplay/etc, post on forum about it, have someone with 700 hours compared to my 50 hours get so high and mighty their horse may as hell have hydraulics on it.

So naw, I don't want that toxicity here too.

No. _God no_.

So tired of players trying to summarize the entirety of a person's credibility through a _single number_.

**The convenience of being able to dismiss or accept people's statements based on a number next to their avatar may be tempting, but it's no replacement for actual dialogue with other human beings and logical critical thinking against their claims.**

This suggestion weeds out those who are too afraid to post on their main accounts, while also at a glance add weight to whom is speaking. I put way more weight behind someone with 10k hours played vs under 100. It seems justified to me.

It can also be a representation of dedication to gw2 as well as skill, as both of those increase incrementally with hours played.

This speaks more about you and your friends than the merit of the idea.

Which is to say, if you want an echo chamber get off the public forums. Clearly you do not care for opinions or ideas that are not those of you/your very select friends.

The OP has done a fine job bringing out the concerns I had in my initial response. This is just about wanting to feel superior to others using arbitrary numbers. Hours played means nothing. I bet you could find just as many if not more 10k casuals who spend 90% of their time chatting and playing music as you do the hardcore "skilled and knowledgeable" players.

All I get from this thread is that the OP wants to use meaningless numbers to make snap judgments, and decide who to pay attention to based on those numbers instead of how well they present their arguments. Hours played means nothing. What matters is how well the person pays attention to the game and its mechanics and thinks about their char and what it’s doing. One person can have many hours and be a casual who doesn’t have deep knowledge of the game and another person can be new but well informed. To dismiss the new person because of a number is ignoring that people bring more to a forum than hours played.

> @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > A lot of my friends think this is a great idea and they have well over 10k hrs in both gw1 and gw2. Would be nice to talk to people who play the game on the same level.

>

> This speaks more about you and your friends than the merit of the idea.

>

> Which is to say, if you want an echo chamber get off the public forums. Clearly you do not care for opinions or ideas that are not those of you/your very select friends.

Very well said! Thumb up from me!

> This suggestion weeds out those who are too afraid to post on their main accounts, while also at a glance add weight to whom is speaking. I put way more weight behind someone with 10k hours played vs under 100. It seems justified to me.

>

> It can also be a representation of dedication to gw2 as well as skill, as both of those increase incrementally with hours played.

I put more weight behind someone whose idea has merit, shows insight, and is accurate. Judging an idea based on anything other than the merits of the idea itself is ludicrous.

The phrase "you must be new" is usually not used for its literal meaning. It is more of an implicating that the speaker thinks whatever you have said/asked/etc. is something that anyone who has been around should already be aware of. Displaying the hours would just make things worse. Now it means you are a person who has been around for while but apparently lacking basic knowledge. Maybe you bought the account ....

> @"HnRkLnXqZ.1870" said:

> If you really want to talk about this topic, fine for me. ^^

>

> Once in a few weeks I encounter some suspicious threads and posts on these forums. It is stuff that looks disturbing to me and I cannot decide whether the post was meant in an ironic way, if there is hatred or disdain as a motive or if it is just a troll. So I take a "look":

>

> At first I just click on the name and get directly forwarded to the persons Account Page. It is a nice little overview of many different things. To make sure I do not miss anything of importance, I open this page in all four language setups, with different tabs. By that time I already know if the person in question is german, french, spanish or none of the three.

>

> Before I start looking for details I quickly scan the badges and the stars. Is there any silver, gold or platinum? If so, lightbulb, thump up or both? I also take a quick look on the amount of comments and discussions by that person and make an easy ratio of: lightbulb+thump / comment+topic. If the ratio is almost 1 and there are silver badges or higher I can almost stop my research and assume some kind of sarcasm or irony in the post that irritated me.

>

> If the ratio does not give me a real clue, I look on the ratio: comments / topics. It should be > 1.

>

> Next up is a quick look on the discussion page(s), any topics closed? Closed means a moderator had to close it. If there is a topic like that, I check the title. In most cases topics are just closed because the discussions went off-topic. How many comments did the topic collect before it was closed? The more it has, the higher the chance it just went off-topic. It is also nice to see if there is a favorite forum-section this person uses to write topics.

>

> Now I take a look on the Helpful marks, clicking on them opens a page with a list of all comments by this person which received a Helpful mark. Any scores higher than 3 per comment? Section of the forum? Any common topic titles? (e. g. balance complaints, suggestions, build-ideas, funny posts)

>

> The Helpful marks are interesting, but not very useful in most cases. The Thumps up are more useful. I just scan through the forum-sections of the thumbs up? What class does he play? What game-mode does he prefer? General attitude? (passive, aggressive, cheerful, helpful, ... etc.) If there are any comments with > 5 Thumps up, I take a look into the comments to see what caused that wide agreement (complaint, suggestion, discussion & personal opinion, etc.).

>

> By then I also have a quick rundown about this persons activity: was there a gap/break? since when are the records? If it does not take too much effort, what was his first post/discussion? That can be pretty interesting, some people join the forums due to frustration about a certain update.

>

> If all that information still is not enough to determine this persons true nature, I log into the game and /friend him. Then I quickly return to server selection and check which server got a +1. Then I go to the Leaderboards, wait for the next tick and I have this persons AP count and when he was last online ingame + the server.

>

> Conclusion: You do not want more transparency on this board. We already have access to a large variety of data about each other, there is no need for more. If you feel you are not accepted as the person you believe you truly are, it is mostly because of how you write your comments. Once in a while we have a few posters on these boards who feel the urge to explain us in huge paragraphs how long they played GW1 and GW2, how many classes they actively played and how much time they spent in sPvP and raiding. That is all nice stuff. But if you have something to say, just say it. If you need to build up special reputation for your post, do not do it at all. We are all human beings and we all can fail. We should never claim to know things better or "the truth." We are part of this community, each of us has his own opinions, ideas and beliefs. We respect each other. Certain prejudices and first impressions cannot be turned off, again we are just humans.

I applaud the ingenuity and inventiveness this gentleperson describes using. Too bad there's not more of it these days. A lot of what I see in the forums is, "I could, with a small amount of effort, solve my own problem, but instead insist that the devs put time into making convenience feature X so I don't have to."

So, this toast is for those who offer solutions on these boards. Long may you run.

> This suggestion weeds out those who are too afraid to post on their main accounts,

It does nothing of the sort. I actually considered early on whether to post on an alt account, so my main wouldn't be associated with my forum posts.

> while also at a glance add weight to whom is speaking.

Not to anyone who is more interested in the suggestion than in who made the suggestion.

> I put way more weight behind someone with 10k hours played vs under 100. It seems justified to me.

No one else here seems to agree that 10k hours automatically makes for a good critic of the game. And as noted, some people with under 100 hours have useful outsider's perspective.

> It can also be a representation of dedication to gw2 as well as skill, as both of those increase incrementally with hours played.

Skill doesn't necessarily increase with hours played. Experience does, but nothing else. And why does "dedication" matter?

Here's the biggest fallacy in the implicit assumption: the game isn't populated by 10k players alone; it's played by all sorts. Accordingly, it's important that it evolve to attract new players (something low-hour players would understand better), keep attracting mid-hour players, and it 'needs' the opinion of high-hour folks least of all (the most dedicated seem willing to stay regardless).

Again, if you only want to discuss ideas with the 10k crowd, form a guild. I'm sure you're not alone in that interest. Or create a community via Discord.

Meanwhile, the official forums are officially for all players, not just those you see as 'PLU'.

I'm nearing 10k hours, and I don't think this is a 'great idea' for reasons other players above have outlined quite eloquently and thoroughly. Time played is not an indicator of knowledge of the game, systems, or anything else. I don't inherently respect the opinion of someone with 10k + hours played just by that virtue, the opinion should stand on its own merits regardless of how long that person has been playing.

> @"Henry.5713" said:

> Outrageous ideas do not suddenly become any less outrageous or impractical when stated by a veteran. There might also be the case of certain players having gained a certain reputation or post history over the years. Which might make other people take everything they have to say a little less seriously. This is not aimed at you of course and only a guess on my part why people might react a certain way.

Actually, yes they do. People with long histories of performance have more gravitas and are less likely to trivialize or showboat like those who are more new to an experience. Also, those with more skill are usually more honest in their opinions as they have little need to prove their value. That's why people listen to 4 star generals ...

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> All I get from this thread is that the OP wants to use meaningless numbers to make snap judgments, and decide who to pay attention to based on those numbers instead of how well they present their arguments. Hours played means nothing. What matters is how well the person pays attention to the game and its mechanics and thinks about their char and what it’s doing. One person can have many hours and be a casual who doesn’t have deep knowledge of the game and another person can be new but well informed. To dismiss the new person because of a number is ignoring that people bring more to a forum than hours played.

How well a person presents his arguments has nothing to do with experience or skill in this game lol.

At this point, I am pretty sure TS is using the forum participants as part of some social experiment.

With reference to his recent 2 threads that were closed and the overwhelming unpopularity of his stated views when you look at the comments by others in those threads and this topic as well:

His threads have a similar theme, a very extreme opinionated stance that is very easily and logically countered when you consider the social or even technical aspects of GW2. This breeds so many comments from forum go-ers who will gladly state their piece because it is easy to fill in the blank and counter his view.

95% of the 40 odd replies of this thread have been negative to his suggestion. It is going the exact same way as his previous threads.

We are getting played by a very talented troll.