GW3 happening? Job title description. Next-generation of games.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> Well. This should distract from the mounts for a bit...

This comment made my late morning. :p

> @"RubberDougie.2750" said:

> https://boards.greenhouse.io/arenanet/jobs/591911

>

> "We are building the core infrastructures for our next generation of games."

Yeah, well... If only we could read Mike's mind. ;)

> @"finkle.9513" said:

> whats stopping Anet updating GW2 core platform?

That would be _awesome_ beyond words.

> @"chaosdurza.3291" said:

> Whale here. Can confirm that if they make a Guild Wars 3, I will leave and find a different franchise/company. I did not sink thousands and thousands of dollars into this game just to see it gutted halfway through its lifespan. And many of my friends, who have also put in similar amounts of money, feel the same way.

yeah so? It will eventually happen, in 3 years or 10 years. I don't see GW2 being successful in 5 years time, at all. The development for GW2 is just not modern, they are using ancient tools that are very complicated and slow these days. GW2 has time until dragons are dealt with, maybe even some of the gods, and then story is finished, nothing much you can do about it.

Having faster development time, modern coding, that is all important. UE4 is so much faster in many things than most of the developer tools out there. You could finish creating new map 5 times faster with it (number pulled out of ass, because personal experience), that is a lot of time saved, that is manpower saved, money saved, that is the time which can be put into creating other things.

I do not care if you feel like you have wasted money. We all waste money all the time. Games come and go. Many of my games were closed or I finished them playing. I do not regret any money I spent because I had fun. If I will have more fun with a GW3 or a new game than with GW2, even better.

There are many negatives GW2 has, negatives it can't deal with at all, but just with moving on using better tools. I welcome changes and moving on with modern times, it is better for Anet in a long run, they are just shooting themselves in a foot using tools they currently have. So much creativity, so much talent, all not being used on 100% because of all the limitations they have. I would love to see Anet being fully unleashed.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> yeah so? It will eventually happen, in 3 years or 10 years. I don't see GW2 being successful in 5 years time, at all. The development for GW2 is just not modern, they are using ancient tools that are very complicated and slow these days. GW2 has time until dragons are dealt with, maybe even some of the gods, and then story is finished, nothing much you can do about it.

> Having faster development time, modern coding, that is all important. UE4 is so much faster in many things than most of the developer tools out there. You could finish creating new map 5 times faster with it (number pulled out of kitten, because personal experience), that is a lot of time saved, that is manpower saved, money saved, that is the time which can be put into creating other things.

> I do not care if you feel like you have wasted money. We all waste money all the time. Games come and go. Many of my games were closed or I finished them playing. I do not regret any money I spent because I had fun. If I will have more fun with a GW3 or a new game than with GW2, even better.

> There are many negatives GW2 has, negatives it can't deal with at all, but just with moving on using better tools. I welcome changes and moving on with modern times, it is better for Anet in a long run, they are just shooting themselves in a foot using tools they currently have. So much creativity, so much talent, all not being used on 100% because of all the limitations they have. I would love to see Anet being fully unleashed.

I agree with a lot of your points, however, it would be exponentially cheaper to continue building on the guild wars 2 platform than to start a new one with guild wars 3. I'm not a programmer, but I don't think designing a brand new game from the ground up, from scratch, is easier than improving the systems that are in place and overhauling others that exist. As far as remaining "life", I remember people saying near the end of Factions that gw1 was "dead", and then Nightfall came out. And then after most of the community had beaten all of Nightfall had to offer, Eye of the North came out. Gw1 was worked on for a substantial amount of time, and lasted far longer than the people crying for a gw2. And when they DID announce gw2, there were many of us that thought they were finally announcing Utopia. Gw2 has been FAR more successful than gw1 was, and still has many many years of life left in it. I sincerely doubt they're gearing up to shelve this project.

> @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > @"chaosdurza.3291" said:

> > Whale here. Can confirm that if they make a Guild Wars 3, I will leave and find a different franchise/company. I did not sink thousands and thousands of dollars into this game just to see it gutted halfway through its lifespan. And many of my friends, who have also put in similar amounts of money, feel the same way.

>

> yeah so? It will eventually happen, in 3 years or 10 years. I don't see GW2 being successful in 5 years time, at all. The development for GW2 is just not modern, they are using ancient tools that are very complicated and slow these days. GW2 has time until dragons are dealt with, maybe even some of the gods, and then story is finished, nothing much you can do about it.

> Having faster development time, modern coding, that is all important. UE4 is so much faster in many things than most of the developer tools out there. You could finish creating new map 5 times faster with it (number pulled out of kitten, because personal experience), that is a lot of time saved, that is manpower saved, money saved, that is the time which can be put into creating other things.

> I do not care if you feel like you have wasted money. We all waste money all the time. Games come and go. Many of my games were closed or I finished them playing. I do not regret any money I spent because I had fun. If I will have more fun with a GW3 or a new game than with GW2, even better.

> There are many negatives GW2 has, negatives it can't deal with at all, but just with moving on using better tools. I welcome changes and moving on with modern times, it is better for Anet in a long run, they are just shooting themselves in a foot using tools they currently have. So much creativity, so much talent, all not being used on 100% because of all the limitations they have. I would love to see Anet being fully unleashed.

engine update

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> They could be making gw3. I recommend they call it Utopia, especially since it seems that that’s what people are expecting from it.

Nice reference...

[https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia "https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Guild_Wars_Utopia")

MMO sequels are generally very unlikely to happen nowadays. Most people are not willing to give up a game they've spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on, which would cause GW2 to be a direct competition to GW3.

I also want you to realize, like I already said multiple times in several different threads regarding GW3, that GW3 won't be a better version of GW2. It would be a completely different game, not a GW 2.5. Just compare GW1 with GW2. Those games have NOTHING in common except the story.

> @"Maikimaik.1974" said:

> I also want you to realize, like I already said multiple times in several different threads regarding GW3, that GW3 won't be a better version of GW2. It would be a completely different game, not a GW 2.5. Just compare GW1 with GW2. Those games have NOTHING in common except the story.

Come on, nobody, really?

We all know it will be Guild Wars Royale. With guilds or not.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> No, there is no GW3. Why can't people understand this ?

>

> They might replace GW2's engine with a new one, but other than that, the game was designed to last and to be extensible through many expansions and seasons of living world as the devs had said before, they're in it for the long haul.

>

> Their future investments will likely be in other games, new franchises besides Guild Wars.

It would be just too much work to rebuilt gw2. A sequel or a new instalment just makes more sense.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> Let's assume this is about GW3 (it isn't but I'll humor the people who actually believe this).

>

> If they are currently hiring the people for the core infrastructure of the game (aka this is work in progress and at best in the early stages of developement) then there is no way that any MMO would be done within the next 4-5 years. So even IF this were GW3 related, the chance of this having an effect on GW2 in the near future is irrelevant.

Wouldnt like it any other way honestly. Gw2 still has 3 or 4 maybe 5 years tops to give.

> @"Calvsie.3675" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> >

> > It would be just too much work to rebuilt gw2. A sequel or a new installment just makes more sense.

>

> They said the same of WoW, but then the cataclysm came.

>

>

>

Cataclysm was wasted effort on a revised lvling experience, still largely cata was redone visually zones and changed quest. Not a new engine for the game. If it wa pls correct me.

At a certain point, the game engine will become too archaic for new features and will need to be replaced. This will not mean GW2 servers ill be shut down, and this does not guarantee that GW3 will be a hit. However, aging is an issue for any computer game. I do not envision this happening for another 3-5 years at least, but eventually I can see GW3 being released.

Look, even now GW2 is not utilizing multiple cores. Top end machines getting sub 30fps in event zergs. WvW with fully loaded map creates massive skill lag. These issues have been around and while they were in some cases made better the underlying issues aren't easily fixable. At a certain point instead of trying to band-aid fix core engine issues they'll build a new engine without these problems and roll out a new game.

"NO BRAKES

ArenaNet started as a company of 10 employees, including Mike O’Brien. It grew to 60 as it released its first game, then 135 as it worked on a sequel.

Now, five years into the life of Guild Wars 2 and more committed to the game than ever, ArenaNet employs more than 400 people. And as the company has slowly learned lessons about its own game and figured out how it needs to be structured to succeed, those employees have shifted into two groups: a live team, working on updates and patches and events, and a smaller separate team working on the Path of Fire expansion itself."

https://www.polygon.com/features/2017/8/1/16074532/guild-wars-2-path-of-fire-expansion-behind-the-scenes-feature-reveal

I wonder what the smaller separate team who worked for POF, was doing for last 1 year and a half. LWS4 was the same as LWS3 quantity wise, so those guys must have been worked at something else.

One thing its sure content wise, LWS5 must deliver much more than LWS4, because 6 hours of new content every 3 months for next 2 years is a nightmare for a gamer.

So first I want to know about LWS5, GW3 its not important right now. At least for me.

> @"chaosdurza.3291" said:

> Whale here. Can confirm that if they make a Guild Wars 3, I will leave and find a different franchise/company. I did not sink thousands and thousands of dollars into this game just to see it gutted halfway through its lifespan. And many of my friends, who have also put in similar amounts of money, feel the same way.

I find myself on the other end of it. I think the promise of "an even better GW2 experience" (ie, crafting/itemization isn't borked from day 1, encounter design handled competently..), I'd be glad to make the switch.

..but that also means I'd probably leave GW2, mostly for good.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> I find myself on the other end of it. I think the promise of "an even better GW2 experience" (ie, crafting/itemization isn't borked from day 1, encounter design handled competently..), I'd be glad to make the switch.

> ..but that also means I'd probably leave GW2, mostly for good.

>

I can understand that. It makes sense from a perspective of someone who has NOT had the greatest experience consistently in this game. However, I would like to challenge that. Find one game that does not have some level of "game breaking" issues on day 1. GW2 was riddled with problems at the beginning, and I would say it took nearly the first year before the overwhelming majority of them were fixed, but the current state of the game is fairly solid. I think the crafting is easy to understand and easy to use, in my opinion itemization has never been an issue even since day 1.

> @"Metasynaptic.1093" said:

> > @"finkle.9513" said:

> > whats stopping Anet updating GW2 core platform?

>

> Labour force, if you read the latest news...

Actually no, they haven't wanted to update the core platform when staffing wasn't the issue. (Low reward per effort, is the simplistic translation of what they have said.)