"Guild Wars 2 will not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon" - Mike Z

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:

> > > They can’t properly balance what they got now and y’all want more profession classes? Lmao

> >

> > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore.

>

> New regions u get with the ls already but it’s sadly also so that with each x pact core professions need to be redone kinda as well to be not broken and it must be done in a way to not affect existing spez.

>

> Sometimes I think Anet didn’t done themselves a favor with that....a full new class could been easier to balance

It doesn't matter that much so long as elite specializations don't step on each other's toes too much. If they add an mesmer elite specialization that's designed around super high DPS, that's fine so long as Mirage is the dedication condition specialization and Chronomancer is the defense, control, and boonshare specialization.

If we get a new mesmer specialization that pumps out quickness and alacrity better than Chronomancer or condition damage better than Mirage that's when we'll start to have problems. I think current elite specialization balance is doing a fine job while allowing them to have unique flavor and niches.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> > > They can’t properly balance what they got now and y’all want more profession classes? Lmao

> >

> > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore. And heck theory crafting new OP builds from Elite Specs is half the fun of elite specs too.

>

> Current elite specs often only use one title weapon "intended" for them. Like, there is very little sense in using anything except sword on Weaver, or not using Warhorn on Tempest - anything else would most of the time will be times worse in terms of DPS. By simply re-working skills on the other weapons, may be even making them change into something new when equiped by e-spec (comparing to the core class), you'll have your "new experiences", without adding even more madness in hardly existing current balance. I really, really hope Anet knows better than adding new profession in the game, at least before fixing issues with current ones (tons of them, half of current professions either severely overshadowed by their and other e-specs, or just significantly under-performing comparing to them). The last thing this game needs is more broken professions.

>

> That's not even mentioning that creating even more unique professions is simply impossible. Many of the current ones are not that unique, if you'll stop looking at animations, and will look at mechanics and numbers. They can't even balance the current set for years, if they will add even more, they won't be able to manage them at all. That's a straight road to disaster.

Umm. Weaver uses staff all the time. The only profession I can think of that’s locked into a weapon is deadeye and even they use dagger dagger. If you’re referring to pvp only, then sure. But tempests don’t use war horn in pvp. And southeast doesn’t use dagger in pvp. And warrior if I’m not mistaken uses axe axe in pve and whatever they want in pvp. Firebrands are locked into staff and mace shield if supporting zerging or what not. And dragonhunter rarely uses longbow at all except a little in pvp. Elite specs don’t lock you into one weapon just to be efficient. With the exception of a few specific game modes and builds. But that’s true of any spec.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> I'm sorry, I can't let pass that, I've seen many post about "story is improving", they "make big maps as LS", it is just not true.

>

> You can't compare expandion maps which are closer to core maps with ls maps.

> We are comparing very huge map with

> ~13 hearts, ~8 vistas, ~13 waypoints, ~16 poi, ~11 hero points and more easter eggs and lores that you can imagine with:

> Small map, many unexplorable areas locked behind story/event, and unfinished areas: could you imagine Rata Sum without the last floor? What about a hole in gandarran field or unfinished fort trinity?

>

> I used to love those dialog animations in personnal story and it's sad they aren't used anymore.

> With a "story" which is the same each time and that's boring: "prepare to kill a dragon/kill a dragon". Can't we have for once, maps only made for lore or exploration learning on the races instead of having to kill dragon? That why I loved PoF, the whole maps were focused on Joko and Baltha. No dragon, apart an "hello" of kralk at the end.

>

> Could be the same with asura/norn, exploration to solve a problem (signal from quora sum/sons of svanir troubles in the north with kodans/norns) and at the end, not necesseraly a dragon, can be asleep.

>

Seems you missed out totaly on Vlast in the early 2 maps.

> @"cptaylor.2670" said:

> Umm. Weaver uses staff all the time. The only profession I can think of that’s locked into a weapon is deadeye and even they use dagger dagger. If you’re referring to pvp only, then sure. But tempests don’t use war horn in pvp. And southeast doesn’t use dagger in pvp. And warrior if I’m not mistaken uses axe axe in pve and whatever they want in pvp. Firebrands are locked into staff and mace shield if supporting zerging or what not. And dragonhunter rarely uses longbow at all except a little in pvp. Elite specs don’t lock you into one weapon just to be efficient. With the exception of a few specific game modes and builds. But that’s true of any spec.

I didn't say they can't use it. I also play as d/d Weaver quite well in open world. The thing is it's not even remotely as effective comparing to "intended" meta build. Like, times less effective in terms of DPS (and weavers can't offer anything else to a group). And that's "no-go" state for any high-lv content. At very least you'll face a lot of nagging for your not optimal performance. More likely just kicked out / not invited anymore.

Also, I believe staff is used in WvW more often, but that's mostly because of how badly thought the design was in the first place: the least hp pool in a game combined with light armor, pushed into melee combat. It won't survive a few seconds face to face with powerhouses like Soulbeast, Firebrand or Holosmith. So they are forced to use Staff, thus sacrificing DPS, just to be able to do something actually (as you are even more useless when you are downed). And you can see many Eles confessing in the thread related to profession's issues how they are being badly treated in WvW zergs due to being literally one of the less useful professions in this game mode (no good unique boons to offer, can't brawl and hold punch, and their "golem dps" means nothing when they can be obliterated by one of those OP broken builds leading the meta today; there are lot of better options zerg's commanders have at their disposal, which overall will contribute more than a weaver; they even will come on top in terms of dps as well, simply because of their higher sustain (your dps is useless if you spend half your time downed))

The only one who have more or less solid place in WvW are tempests (meta-builds of it of course, which is either a single one DPS with scepeter and warhorne, and some support variations). No, they are not very very good and absolutely needed, like Chrono or Druid - they are just tolerated by commanders, until no better options are available.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> >

> > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore. And heck theory crafting new OP builds from Elite Specs is half the fun of elite specs too.

>

> Current elite specs often only use one title weapon "intended" for them. Like, there is very little sense in using anything except sword on Weaver, or not using Warhorn on Tempest - anything else would most of the time will be times worse in terms of DPS.

This isn't even _remotely_ close to being true.

Dragon Hunters run core weapons Scepter+Focus / Greatsword over Longbow in PvE and PvP for their meta meta DPS builds.

Staff Support tempest has been the primary non DPS use for Tempest in raids since Weaver came out. In my experience it's far rarer to see Dagger/Warhorn support tempests.

Soulbeasts in PvE typically run core weapons for the currently meta Power Soulbeast build, or Shortbow/Shortbow for condition. In PvP they can be seen running Longbow, Greatsword, Sword+Warhorn, and Axe+Axe.

In PvP Spellbreakers run Greatsword+Sword/Shield but in PvE they'll run Axe+Axe and sometimes Axe+Dagger.

Healing firebrands use Mace+Shield, Quickness Firebrands use Sceper Focus and only ever use axe for the pull. Condition Damage Firebrands are the only ones that primarily use axe and even then the rotate between axe and scepter MH.

Weaver in WvW is aaaaaallll about Staff. Heck any kind of Open World play on Weaver is waaaaaaay more confortable using Staff instead of sword.

Support Chronomancer's use shields, sure, but PvE DPS chronomancers run Sword+Sword / and either Sword+Focus or Greatsword. I see scepter a lot in PvP as well.

This only really tends to be true when the elite specialization gives a class a weapon with a niche they've never ever had before like Mirage having a condition melee weapon which they've never had before and obviously a melee condition damage weapon is going to be tuned to be better than a ranged condition weapon like Scepter. Scepter still sees plenty of use in PvE, PvP and WvW. And even though Mirage Axe is condition focused, Power Mirages have always been a common thing in PvP and especially WvW where they primarily run Greatsword / Sword+X.

There's tons of diversity in weapon combos as well as how many classes use their elite specialization weapon based on what they're trying to accomplish. I mean heck when I want to solo champion and legendary bounties on Mirage I use staff I can't even imagine using Axe.

> By simply re-working skills on the other weapons, may be even making them change into something new when equiped by e-spec (comparing to the core class), you'll have your "new experiences", without adding even more madness in hardly existing current balance.

Guild Wars 2's PvE is more balanced right now in this moment then it has ever been in the entirety of its life. Remember the berserker meta when everyone elusively ran berserker stats and the meta was 1 elementalist and 4 warriors? I do. Heck Arenanet have finally shaken the 2 Chronomancer meta and now Boonshare Firebrigade combo are stepping up and filling that role as well. There is more balance between classes and roles, more build diversity than ever in Guild Wars 2.

Interesting asymmetries is better than trying to make everyone a perfect copy of each other and doing everything in the exact same with with the exact same proficiency.

> I really, really hope Anet knows better than adding new profession in the game, at least before fixing issues with current ones (tons of them, half of current professions either severely overshadowed by their and other e-specs, or just significantly under-performing comparing to them). The last thing this game needs is more broken professions.

Anet will probably never add a new profession but unlike others I think there's room to. I think the idea that we need perfectly symmetrical 3 Light Armors, 3 Medium Armors and 3 Heavy Armors. Like roleplaying games have never been that concerned about. Like World of Warcraft has 3 Plate classes, 2 mail classes, 4 leather classes and 3 cloth classes. It feels more organic that way.

I just hope they don't wimp out like they did with Revenants. Revenants were supposed to fill the role of the Blackguard, Anit-Paladin, Death Knight or whatever you call it and they stepped back from that to create this mushy themeless class to try and appeal to everyone.

I do think anything they want to do in the future can potentially be accomplished with Elite Specializations at this point.

> That's not even mentioning that creating even more unique professions is simply impossible. Many of the current ones are not that unique, if you'll stop looking at animations, and will look at mechanics and numbers. They can't even balance the current set for years, if they will add even more, they won't be able to manage them at all. That's a straight road to disaster.

I think we'll have to disagree. I think very, very few builds feel similar and none of the professions feel similar at all in the slightest.

I’d like to share a different opinion than most here. When you look back, the first two seasons of the Living Story were before Heart or Thorns. There was a lot of content between them. They had many Achievements, and Collections as well. Over the course of Living Story 3, we had a lot of content, new maps, and Legendaries each episode. These came with a lot of Achievements, and Collections as well. We are furthering the trend with Living Story 4 now as well. With the same type of releases. Along side these releases, we also get new Fractals, Raids, Events, PvP, and WvW updates. I don’t think this is something to just shrug off.

When you look at the amount of content Path of Fire really added, it honestly is nearly equal to a Living Story Season. There is about the same amount of story throughout Path of Fire, as there was Living Story 3. The main difference is that Path of Fire had more armor skins than we’ve gotten in Living Story 3-4. With Living Story 4, we’ve been getting better rewards lately. It feels more rewarding now, and I hope it stays like this.

I think Living Story releases can replace an expansion if done right. I mean most people burned through Path of Fire extremely fast. I spent more time with Living Story 3 honestly. Currently my only gripe has been lacking better, and more unique rewards from releases, but it is getting better. I also have been a bit let down by the recent new Fractals, but at least they have a release schedule of around 3-4 per year now. I’ve been enjoying the game alright. It’s just that there is a downtime between releases, but all MMOs have that.

I understand people’s want for an expansion. It’s been a staple thing to get hyped for in games for 20+ years. It’s the usual norm, but I think GW2 can make it work without one, if they commit to keeping the current quality of Living Story 4 going into Living Story 5. Like I said, we also get PvP updates, and WvW. We will have to wait and see. I’d like an expansion too, but I’ll give them a chance with Living Story for now.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > I'm sorry, I can't let pass that, I've seen many post about "story is improving", they "make big maps as LS", it is just not true.

> >

> > You can't compare expandion maps which are closer to core maps with ls maps.

> > We are comparing very huge map with

> > ~13 hearts, ~8 vistas, ~13 waypoints, ~16 poi, ~11 hero points and more easter eggs and lores that you can imagine with:

> > Small map, many unexplorable areas locked behind story/event, and unfinished areas: could you imagine Rata Sum without the last floor? What about a hole in gandarran field or unfinished fort trinity?

> >

> > I used to love those dialog animations in personnal story and it's sad they aren't used anymore.

> > With a "story" which is the same each time and that's boring: "prepare to kill a dragon/kill a dragon". Can't we have for once, maps only made for lore or exploration learning on the races instead of having to kill dragon? That why I loved PoF, the whole maps were focused on Joko and Baltha. No dragon, apart an "hello" of kralk at the end.

> >

> > Could be the same with asura/norn, exploration to solve a problem (signal from quora sum/sons of svanir troubles in the north with kodans/norns) and at the end, not necesseraly a dragon, can be asleep.

> >

>

> Seems you missed out totaly on Vlast in the early 2 maps.

Yup of course you have that awful part, but it wasn't the main focus, it always was balthazar, also vlast is dead that why I ignored it. When i speak about dragons I refer to the battles/ implications it's not comparable with HoT where Modry was present everywhere even as minions. Vlast is just a feature, I only consider elder dragons (current ones). Also would be helpful if you said in LS or PoF. But I suppose it's PoF.

> @"Kanok.3027" said:

> Honestly, I'm perfectly okay with this and encourage it. Expansions usually mean new elite specs and honestly, we have more than enough to work with for the time being. **Base classes (9), HoT specs (9) and PoF specs (9) for a total of 27 different ways to play, combined with different builds for each, which makes it even more chaotic. I'd rather the current classes and specs be tuned and balanced better before introducing a new elite spec.** Plus, we still have lots of story to go through and we get new maps with each release, so what's the point in getting up in arms about it? Content will still be released! New masteries, maybe new mounts, we might even get something COMPLETELY new! Just because it's not an expansion doesn't mean they can't release something new.

>

> I say, leave it be for some time until good ideas and better balance occurs...although the latter will take much longer than we'd all like.

Yes, YES, **YES!** As much as I loved GW1, it eventually ran into the problem of too much to ever have a chance to balance.

While it's fine to have all the options in a PvE game, this does have 2 different PvP modes, and like GW1 before them, they are hell on the devs to balance. It could be at this point that the only way to balance them is another trait and gear rework like when they pulled all the stats from traits and put them into gear. Who knows, but the current method is clearly not working.

> @"Literally Everyone.1234" said:

> But Kylden, PvE doesn't need balance like PvP modes!? Why should most of the game care?

Really, so, how long has ANet been trying to squish the power they gave to Mesmers and their stranglehold on Raids and high end Fractals? Pretty much since HoT hit for one boon.

Perhaps one of the balance passes/reworks they will need to make is an honest look at boons, who can provide them, _and if they should even exist._ Been thinking for a while that Alacrity was a mistake entirely. Chrono should have worked with just Quickness and Slow.

Same thing for Condis and Torment.

Really, I think they need to condense the conditions and boons down in number, and spread out how/who can apply them.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > Pof took them what, 18 months of development?

> It's nearly impossible for outsiders to estimate how many months of development went into either expansion.

>

> PoF was released 23 months after HoT. There's some indication that it included elements that didn't make it into HoT, that they might have been working on things concurrently with different teams or handed off to new teams. Plus, the staff grew.

>

> What we'd want to know is how many staff hours were officially allocated for each 'project' and over what period of time... and it's doubtful we'll ever get anything close to actual data about that.

>

> > With that in mind we could see an expansion late mid to late 2020.

> As calculated above, July 2020 is about when LS5.5 would release, if they keep churning out episodes with a 90 day average (LS3 beat that average by about 25%; LS4 fell behind that average by about 7% -- I doubt either number is going to be helpful in predicting LS5's average).

I believe mo said so in some promotional material. That pof took them 18 months that is.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > > @"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:

> > > > They can’t properly balance what they got now and y’all want more profession classes? Lmao

> > >

> > > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore.

> >

> > New regions u get with the ls already but it’s sadly also so that with each x pact core professions need to be redone kinda as well to be not broken and it must be done in a way to not affect existing spez.

> >

> > Sometimes I think Anet didn’t done themselves a favor with that....a full new class could been easier to balance

>

> It doesn't matter that much so long as elite specializations don't step on each other's toes too much. If they add an mesmer elite specialization that's designed around super high DPS, that's fine so long as Mirage is the dedication condition specialization and Chronomancer is the defense, control, and boonshare specialization.

>

> If we get a new mesmer specialization that pumps out quickness and alacrity better than Chronomancer or condition damage better than Mirage that's when we'll start to have problems. I think current elite specialization balance is doing a fine job while allowing them to have unique flavor and niches.

thats kinda the point isnt it ? what else can u add now to guardian for example? FB heal / Core pure dmg/ DH Range and CC (kinda) I dont think any special thing is missing right now. Except maybe a Guard who can stealth but than we slowly driften into the classes who can do everything what other classes can do

I can see why expansions are good for anet bc revenue and I am happy to buy them for that reason but I've never understood why players are so anxious for them. I'd rather anet spend their time perfecting what they have than introduce more imperfection . . .

> @"derd.6413" said:

> looks like they're just talking about season 4 going straight into season 5.

>

> this is old news at this point

Sure, but at this point there's quite serious suspicion that it isn't even being worked on now - that all the expac resources were transferred to the side projects instead. The fact that, when we were given the reassurances GW2 will be still worked on, LS was mentioned, but expac _wasn't_ is quite telling. That, i'd say is much more worrying that something Mike Z said half a year ago.

I mean, if they'll start working on it right now, they may just be in time for the end of LS5. If they are lucky and will be cutting corners. On the other hand, i wouldn't expect such a rushed expac to be good.

So, in reality, all depends on whether they've started working on it already, or didn't. If it's the second, we're pretty unlikely to ever see it, to be honest.

if they’re just talking about the fairly lengthy time from when they said that until the end of season 5, all is well, but if they truly mean they aren’t working on the next expansion to be released after that, that is depressing as hell. Living world has improved a lot this season in story and delivering content like mounts outside expansions, but it’s still world away from actually matching an expansion. We still absolutely need those. Now, living world IS good enough to support two consecutive seasons, especially if that means the expansion gets work for twice as long and is huge.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > looks like they're just talking about season 4 going straight into season 5.

> >

> > this is old news at this point

> Sure, but at this point there's quite serious suspicion that it isn't even being worked on now - that all the expac resources were transferred to the side projects instead. The fact that, when we were given the reassurances GW2 will be still worked on, LS was mentioned, but expac _wasn't_ is quite telling. That, i'd say is much more worrying that something Mike Z said half a year ago.

> I mean, if they'll start working on it right now, they may just be in time for the end of LS5. If they are lucky and will be cutting corners. On the other hand, i wouldn't expect such a rushed expac to be good.

>

> So, in reality, all depends on whether they've started working on it already, or didn't. If it's the second, we're pretty unlikely to ever see it, to be honest.

>

i don't put much wait in the speculation of ppl already freaking out.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > looks like they're just talking about season 4 going straight into season 5.

> > >

> > > this is old news at this point

> > Sure, but at this point there's quite serious suspicion that it isn't even being worked on now - that all the expac resources were transferred to the side projects instead. The fact that, when we were given the reassurances GW2 will be still worked on, LS was mentioned, but expac _wasn't_ is quite telling. That, i'd say is much more worrying that something Mike Z said half a year ago.

> > I mean, if they'll start working on it right now, they may just be in time for the end of LS5. If they are lucky and will be cutting corners. On the other hand, i wouldn't expect such a rushed expac to be good.

> >

> > So, in reality, all depends on whether they've started working on it already, or didn't. If it's the second, we're pretty unlikely to ever see it, to be honest.

> >

>

> i don't put much wait in the speculation of ppl already freaking out.

Neither do i. Still, the point is that after HoT we've known they were working on an expac. We might not have known anything specific, but that single fact wasn't secret. Now it is. Even now, when mere mention that it is indeed in development would do a lot in reassuring players. And i can't see any other reason for that except that they _aren't_ working on it.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > > looks like they're just talking about season 4 going straight into season 5.

> > > >

> > > > this is old news at this point

> > > Sure, but at this point there's quite serious suspicion that it isn't even being worked on now - that all the expac resources were transferred to the side projects instead. The fact that, when we were given the reassurances GW2 will be still worked on, LS was mentioned, but expac _wasn't_ is quite telling. That, i'd say is much more worrying that something Mike Z said half a year ago.

> > > I mean, if they'll start working on it right now, they may just be in time for the end of LS5. If they are lucky and will be cutting corners. On the other hand, i wouldn't expect such a rushed expac to be good.

> > >

> > > So, in reality, all depends on whether they've started working on it already, or didn't. If it's the second, we're pretty unlikely to ever see it, to be honest.

> > >

> >

> > i don't put much wait in the speculation of ppl already freaking out.

> Neither do i. Still, the point is that after HoT we've known they were working on an expac. We might not have known anything specific, but that single fact wasn't secret. Now it is. Even now, when mere mention that it is indeed in development would do a lot in reassuring players. And i can't see any other reason for that except that they _aren't_ working on it.

>

that's just regular anet behavior ever since HoT and i don't really blame them, during the lead up to hot they told us everything they were planning and it ended up biting them in the backside.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> that's just regular anet behavior ever since HoT

...i just pointed to you that we knew an expac was being worked on (even if we didn't know its name or any specifics) way before PoF got announced. We were straight out told this right after HoT, and later they were quite open about this fact. We weren't informed about anything else (like launch date, where it would take us, features, name etc), but the fact that it was something Anet was doing was never secret.

If you haven't realized it from me saying it several times already, it was after HoT, so in the very same period when you claim this wasn't Anet regular behaviour.

> > @"derd.6413" said:

> > that's just regular anet behavior ever since HoT

> ...i just pointed to you that we knew an expac was being worked on (even if we didn't know its name or any specifics) way before PoF got announced. We were straight out told this right after HoT, and later they were quite open about this fact. We weren't informed about anything else (like launch date, where it would take us, features, name etc), but the fact that it was something Anet was doing was never secret.

>

> If you haven't realized it from me saying it several times already, it was after HoT, so in the very same period when you claim this wasn't Anet regular behaviour.

>

>

>

srry bud, but you're wrong, that info was pre-HoT not post-HoT info (aka from before their secrecy became as it is today)

Expansion has been their main source of revenue given that not most players buy stuff from the gem store. If there isn’t an expansion coming, I don’t know how they are going to sustain with just living story and more importantly show Ncsoft this game is still worth investing resources into. You can only buy so many cosmetic items. /shrug

I do wonder just how profitable the expansions really were.

If POF sold 1 million copies at $30 each but required 150 or so employees working for two years it would have only produced revenue approximately 3-5 million dollars greater than the labor costs associated with its development (based on averages for the region).

Perhaps NCsoft has decided that there is more profit potential in greater investment in the LW model?

> @"Emprer.7256" said:

> > @"wickedkae.4980" said:

> > > @"Emprer.7256" said:

> > > Expansion has been their main source of revenue given that not most players buy stuff from the gem store. If there isn’t an expansion coming, I don’t know how they are going to sustain with just living story and more importantly show Ncsoft this game is still worth investing resources into. You can only buy so many cosmetic items. /shrug

> >

> > What makes this worse is that their cosmetic options have been hot garbage for years now. It blows me away how Anet squandered the fashion wars aspect of this game. They could be making billions had they had real artists and released ARMOR sets instead of costumes. I have over 12000 gems sitting in the bank and nothing that matters to spend them on.

>

> I agree some of the options are questionable. I am also finding it harder to spend gems on things simply bc the new releases aren’t that interesting. If they were armor pieces that can be customised it’d be a lot more appealing. Too bad technical difficulties are still an issue for that.

And the pieces that are, are lion chest random drops like the exalted shoulders even though the gloves were bought with gems. I guess they think they’ll make more money from people wasting keys than just selling the skin.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"derd.6413" said:

> > > that's just regular anet behavior ever since HoT

> > ...i just pointed to you that we knew an expac was being worked on (even if we didn't know its name or any specifics) way before PoF got announced. We were straight out told this right after HoT, and later they were quite open about this fact. We weren't informed about anything else (like launch date, where it would take us, features, name etc), but the fact that it was something Anet was doing was never secret.

> >

> > If you haven't realized it from me saying it several times already, it was after HoT, so in the very same period when you claim this wasn't Anet regular behaviour.

> >

> >

> >

>

> srry bud, but you're wrong, that info was pre-HoT not post-HoT info (aka from before their secrecy became as it is today)

Sorry bud, but the "secrecy" you speak of (also known as No-communication communication policy) predates HoT by far. Post-HoT they actually eased on it a bit, and then eased it even more after PoF (originally, pre HoT, it was way, way worse).

All that didn't prevent them from being quite open about the fact they've been working on a second expac (no, we didn't get that info until after HoT, by the way). And yet, even though shortly before PoF they were still talking about how they want to have ls-expac-ls-expac-ls-expac type of release chain, after PoF launched they suddenly went completely silent on the matter and the only info we've got since then was that there would be no expac between ls4 and ls5.

No, unlike you claim, even taking their general unwillingness to speak about things into consideration, in this specific case, it's the silence that is unusual.