Are people satisfied that WvW has devolved into zerg v zerg fest?

Vancho.8750

Straight answer, no.

In my opinion and how I like to play WvW, I can only see zerging being fun for the commander. Everyone else is in the zerg is basically just a bot, with slightly better (or worse) AI than an NPC. As part of a blob (which is the majority of people) you don't have much choice in what you do. You play the profession the commander says, with the build the commander says, go where the commander says, you fight when the commander says, you use skills when the commander says. If you in particular go down, big whoop, the 8 other scourges will just have to pick up your slack a tiny bit. I feel like it takes my agency as a player away. The bigger the fight, the less impact you get to make.

Promote smaller scale fights. Increase the amount of high impact objectives that way splitting up and having more small groups as opposed to one or two giant zergs will be more ideal. There would probably still need to be at least one moderately sized zerg for taking stuff like castles for the people who are into that. Think bosses that have a respawn timer and give supply bonuses to the side who takes them. Special camps that give map wide buffs (-1 to all supply requirements, +10% build/repair speed, +5% base move speed, ect.) Stuff that can have a real impact that is worth having small teams go around and take that will reenforce the zerg while it flips the big stuff.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Zexanima.7851" said:

> Straight answer, no.

>

> In my opinion and how I like to play WvW, I can only see zerging being fun for the commander. Everyone else is in the zerg is basically just a bot, with slightly better (or worse) AI than an NPC. As part of a blob (which is the majority of people) you don't have much choice in what you do. You play the profession the commander says, with the build the commander says, go where the commander says, you fight when the commander says, you use skills when the commander says. If you in particular go down, big whoop, the 8 other scourges will just have to pick up your slack a tiny bit. I feel like it takes my agency as a player away. The bigger the fight, the less impact you get to make.

>

> Promote smaller scale fights. Increase the amount of high impact objectives that way splitting up and having more small groups as opposed to one or two giant zergs will be more ideal. There would probably still need to be at least one moderately sized zerg for taking stuff like castles for the people who are into that. Think bosses that have a respawn timer and give supply bonuses to the side who takes them. Special camps that give map wide buffs (-1 to all supply requirements, +10% build/repair speed, +5% base move speed, ect.) Stuff that can have a real impact that is worth having small teams go around and take that will reenforce the zerg while it flips the big stuff.

Not really. I would rather have a squad of hylek in my zerg when I'm pugmanding vs pugs that aren't willing to bring proper gear, proper play, and proper attitude. At least with the hylek, I know they bring the right builds, comp, and will fire in the direction i need them to. The hylek are also better roamers too.

> @"shiri.4257" said:

> > @"Zexanima.7851" said:

> > Straight answer, no.

> >

> > In my opinion and how I like to play WvW, I can only see zerging being fun for the commander. Everyone else is in the zerg is basically just a bot, with slightly better (or worse) AI than an NPC. As part of a blob (which is the majority of people) you don't have much choice in what you do. You play the profession the commander says, with the build the commander says, go where the commander says, you fight when the commander says, you use skills when the commander says. If you in particular go down, big whoop, the 8 other scourges will just have to pick up your slack a tiny bit. I feel like it takes my agency as a player away. The bigger the fight, the less impact you get to make.

> >

> > Promote smaller scale fights. Increase the amount of high impact objectives that way splitting up and having more small groups as opposed to one or two giant zergs will be more ideal. There would probably still need to be at least one moderately sized zerg for taking stuff like castles for the people who are into that. Think bosses that have a respawn timer and give supply bonuses to the side who takes them. Special camps that give map wide buffs (-1 to all supply requirements, +10% build/repair speed, +5% base move speed, ect.) Stuff that can have a real impact that is worth having small teams go around and take that will reenforce the zerg while it flips the big stuff.

>

> Not really. I would rather have a squad of hylek in my zerg when I'm pugmanding vs pugs that aren't willing to bring proper gear, proper play, and proper attitude. At least with the hylek, I know they bring the right builds, comp, and will fire in the direction i need them to. The hylek are also better roamers too.

You got me there

I'm going to say yes. It's what wvw should've been, not this tower ppt crap that people profess to be a good thing when it's actually boring as hell. Furthermore, the addition of the mount is way overdue and running around looking for a decent fight was already hard enough as it was for 8, I repeat, 8 years now! Just like the reward tracks, those were also way overdue and they still don't feel as rewarding as PvE! In fact, the entire game is barely rewarding at all and theres is 0, absolutely 0 sense of progression other than some stupid achievement points and ascended armor. We go into these raids and we don't even know why were killing these bosses, we go into wvw/pvp and were just killing each other for no reason. My 5 year old niece can create at least SOME story to anything that's missing the plot in this game and a team of talented developers can't think of anything? The faction war in WoW is amazing, heck even in the garbage MMOs out there that have faction plots to influence pvp, there's at least some element that says wow this is cool about a rivalry for pvp, but this is just dumb.

The skins in the game were false promises of skins that were shown at PAX East two years ago (which were way better in design than the garbage we have now), graphics are still outdated, and so on and so on. I can keep nitpicking but why bother? I don't even log in to play anymore. Even my comment has even diverted from the original topic at hand, and the fact that there are people who wvw like wasting their lives on boring ppt ticks and people who think taking towers is fun is just dumb when the premise is simply to kill the enemy and win the war.

> @"Deaeira.2651" said:

> > @"Aridon.8362" said:

> >[...] running around looking for a decent fight was already hard enough as it was for 8, I repeat, 8 years now!

>

> The official release of GW2 was in August 2012, even 7 years ago was still during the beta.

We don’t have time for facts.

> @"Hitman.5829" said:

> No, I hate that now lone roaming is dead. I have not log in that often since mounts were introduce and probably I will log less and less as the game progresses more into PvE. I think its time for me to check my other games:

> * GTA 5

> * Hitman season 2

> * Anno 1701

> * The Witcher

> * FIFA

>

> Well, thanks to Anets decisions I will be playing less this game. For me, it has become a boring game since all I cared about in WvW was chasing, killing and escaping, but now with mounts I cannot do that. maybe I will keep an eye for WvW once in a while, but for now I have other games that are more interesting.

You can do that more easily than ever. Most players are terrible at Mount mechanics. Play something with good mobility and you can easily escape. Just don't run all the way to NC, without a cap, and expect to be able to escape by running a straight line. Adapt a little bit, and remember you can also use mounts to your own advantage more often than you think.

I solo roam all the time. I actually think mounts have made it more fun!

The Hylek army thing might be actually interesting, you get something like the Awakened invasions that attack objectives periodically and need upgrades to be able to take them, the army starts marching from the start point of the world and even gets to take a castle if left unchecked. Some will say that they don't PVE in their WvW but man the mode needs some events happening. I know there are events like that where you kill 30 scrit and they attack something but for one they are boring to do and second they are pretty useless.

Each commander has a different playstyle. Some will be in it to win it, and go for the PPT. The other commanders will only command their own guild to do wvw as a guild thing. And other commanders will be there just to fight, because their bored with capping or doing anything else. It's not a zerg thing. It's a command style thing.