Do you enjoy map completion? Why or why not?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoy it, mounts make it extremely fast and i often meet new players along the way that need advice or help, also tend to farm everything i see for $$$. Some hearts are a pain, most are just kill x a few times then move on events make them super fast. Take my time in maps with Iron and Platinum good money there if you stick around abit.

Plus you sometimes get BL keys aswell B)

> @"Xstein.2187" said:

> I kinda enjoyed it, but enjoyed other things in gw2 a lot more. IMO map exploration isn't what made gw2 special.

Map exploration (i.e., learning the map first time) - is. It's one of my favorite things in GW2. "Map completion" now.. It's beyond my understanding. What possible fun can a following the same script which doesn't even require brain engaged again and again bring? To me, it's a "gameplay" like trimming your lawn (go there, then there, then there, - ah, we are done), so no *gameplay* at all.

I've map completed core Tyria on 7 chracters so far (most of them with the old WvW system in place which required WvW map completion too).

I've finally run out of Gifts of Exploration and am slowly working on my 8th map completion. It was fun the first few times, now it's some times fun and some times work (though then I usually take a break). Mounts have made it a lot faster but as in the past, the main time commitment is the heart quests.

Oddly, I don't mind it, but then I don't do it in sequence either...instead I just do zone completions in a piece meal fashion, jumping from character to character(that is when I feel like playing one of my alternate characters, which isn't often as I mostly stay on my ranger main). I have no need of the Gifts as I have never made nor plan on making a Legendary, so those just take up a slot in storage(not deleting the ones I have either). Also don't mind the Hearts as I find I end up completing most of them from just doing other stuff, except the ones that specifically ask you to do something and then I just consider it part of the game. I will literally leave a map incomplete if some of the items are locked behind a meta(mostly Orr temples) and just grab those when they happen to be open, so obviously in no rush to get the zones completed...and I've done it both ways, with needing WvW and without, prefer without but that's only because it's no longer needed(it was fun trying to sneak around the WvW maps just to get zone completions without actually participating).

Sometimes. If it wasn't for the Mounts combined with Taco/Tekkit map completion routes my vote would probably have been No. I am actually enjoying it now sometimes when I know I do not have to search for that elusive PoI or Waypoint. I have also been rather lucky with the Black Lion Keys, so that has been somewhat of an incentive lately.

I really enjoy GW2's vibrant world and NPC environment, however during map-completion I am not really giving it all that much attention. Too much in a rush. I do sometimes let the vista-cinematic play out till the end, as an hommage to Anet's World Builders. :) So many amazing locales.

I love it. It's not something I strive to spend all my time doing, but more when I just want to chill and do something mindless it's quite good for that. Plus, it can never hurt to gather from the nodes I see and work towards more transmutation charges or black lion chest keys. That, and it's so much quicker with mounts.

The single most tedious thing I've ever done in this game (before mounts, on mesmer, without movement speed buffs/focus... because I was a fool).

PvE maps are beautiful to run around in, but the moment you start treating them as a themepark checklist of things to "explore" (it's not exploration, it's just ticking off a list...) they become a huge chore.

I imagine it must be easier nowdays with mounts and gliding, but still, I'm never doing it again.

Edit - oh yeah forgot about the wvw completion... Actually that wasn't too bad iirc but think I was just lucky with server at the time.

I don't if I had to do it for Gift of Exploration, it becomes a chore with all fun and excitement drained from it to the point that after making it I have to stop playing for a while.

One thing though, before PoF mounts I could do 2 maps a day at best before burning out, with the mounts it's 4 maps a day before getting fed up.

I love both map and story completion...

Every one of my 17 characters have all maps and all stories (personal story + HoT story + PoF story + all LW), every one with different build, with his own ascended equipment and his own permanent gathering tools.

NOTE: If ANET will ever grant us an open world legendary armor, I think this should be a prerequisite :) (I'm joking of course... well, maybe...)

I've only done it once with my first made character. I thought that was agonizing already but with 9 alts, i cant even imagine doing it all over again. But i did collect all wp's for all my alts so i can do the dailies quicker by setting them at certain parts of the entire map.

> @"ProtoGunner.4953" said:

> > @"hash.8462" said:

> > I love both map and story completion...

> > Every one of my 17 characters have all maps and all stories (personal story + HoT story + PoF story + all LW), every one with different build, with his own ascended equipment and his own permanent gathering tools.

> >

>

>

>

Lol. My thought as well. Some people are.. incredible. I don't think I'll gather enough motivation to do it even once in any foreseeable future. 17 times.. my god. I'm genuinely afraid to even ask about the reasons.

> @"MoriMoriMori.5349" said:

> Lol. My thought as well. Some people are.. incredible. I don't think I'll gather enough motivation to do it even once in any foreseeable future. 17 times.. my god. I'm genuinely afraid to even ask about the reasons.

I'm a compulsive perfectionist, I can't leave things unfinished.

If the options were up to me, I would require the first time that it be done completely. After that follow up toons should be able to purchase hearts with various types of in game currencies. Similar example is how HPs can be unlocked in WvW. Players would still need to do all of the other map requirements but HPs and Hearts should be purchasable after you have done it once on the account.