<Suggestion> Controllable activation of rune's bonus 6 instead of 'struck by foe'

While we all applaud the improvements to the runes and the attempt to diversify builds through itemization, I feel this addition would greatly encourage the usage of alternate rune sets.

Many runes have their sixth bonus activating when the PC is struck by an enemy, such as bonus 6 of Superior Rune of the Grove:

+20% Protection Duration; when struck by a foe, a meadow blooms at your location, granting Vigor, Regeneration, and Protection to allies within it. (Cooldown: 90 Seconds)

Some have their bonus 6 activated when in combat like Superior Rune of the Ogre:

+4% Damage; summon a rock dog while in combat. (Cooldown: 60s)

In the case of the Superior Rune of the Grove's bonus 6, this is less than ideal because often as I am riding past enemies on my mount, I get hit by a random mob and the meadow bloom is activated needlessly. Additionally, when you are in a group of other PCs with higher threat (higher toughness, dps etc) you are not getting hit and the meadow bloom never activates.

To make these bonuses more appealing, the activation for these bonus features should be controlled by the PC via an additional skill that pops up in the UI when equipping the 6th rune of the set. The location of this new skill should be above the profession mechanic bar.

This change does not necessarily have to apply to all rune sets, there are bonuses that logically follow certain gameplay conditions.

I would like to hear the community's take on this suggestion.

> @"RiyazGuerra.9203" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > I just wish they remove that Rock Dog

>

> That rock dog would be a lot more useful if you can summon him at a time of your choosing :-)

What I meant is, replaced by something else, some bonus. Your idea sounds cool but I'm sure it's too much work

I like the Dog, complements my pet on my Ranger. It's up most of the time, so it doesn't need a controllable summon. It can be summoned when you're hit running through a mob, but the 60-second timer makes that OK. I assume the same applies to the parrot and golem, but haven't used those rune sets since the change.

Not everything needs to be maximized, there are other rune sets for that.

I think the best it could be done is to be added to active skills like the elite or the healing skill so its in line with other runes, i don't get why some are left with the on being hit condition after the rework. PVP Ben mentioned that the extra skills cause unexpected bugs, i have seen some layer on top of each other and bug out.

Alternatively .... runes and sigils should not apply when mounted.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"RiyazGuerra.9203" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > I just wish they remove that Rock Dog

> >

> > That rock dog would be a lot more useful if you can summon him at a time of your choosing :-)

>

> What I meant is, replaced by something else, some bonus. Your idea sounds cool but I'm sure it's too much work

Scholar and Ogre are already very similar. What would you replace it with and also fits with Ogre?

> @"Vancho.8750" said:

> I think the best it could be done is to be added to active skills like the elite or the healing skill so its in line with other runes, i don't get why some are left with the on being hit condition after the rework. PVP Ben mentioned that the extra skills cause unexpected bugs, i have seen some layer on top of each other and bug out.

This is especially true for Grove. Needing to get hit in order to reduce damage from getting hit is a bit nonsensical.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Alternatively .... runes and sigils should not apply when mounted.

>

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"RiyazGuerra.9203" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > I just wish they remove that Rock Dog

> > >

> > > That rock dog would be a lot more useful if you can summon him at a time of your choosing :-)

> >

> > What I meant is, replaced by something else, some bonus. Your idea sounds cool but I'm sure it's too much work

>

> Scholar and Ogre are already very similar. What would you replace it with and also fits with Ogre?

>

Me? Ministun 10% on ranged, 25% on melee

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > Alternatively .... runes and sigils should not apply when mounted.

> >

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"RiyazGuerra.9203" said:

> > > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > I just wish they remove that Rock Dog

> > > >

> > > > That rock dog would be a lot more useful if you can summon him at a time of your choosing :-)

> > >

> > > What I meant is, replaced by something else, some bonus. Your idea sounds cool but I'm sure it's too much work

> >

> > Scholar and Ogre are already very similar. What would you replace it with and also fits with Ogre?

> >

> Me? Ministun 10% on ranged, 25% on melee

That would be horrible for PvP/WvW ...

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Alternatively .... runes and sigils should not apply when mounted.

> This is especially true for Grove. Needing to get hit in order to reduce damage from getting hit is a bit nonsensical.

Good idea, at a minimum, sigils and runes should not apply when the PC is mounted.

> @"Vancho.8750" said:

> I think the best it could be done is to be added to active skills like the elite or the healing skill so its in line with other runes, i don't get why some are left with the on being hit condition after the rework. PVP Ben mentioned that the extra skills cause unexpected bugs, i have seen some layer on top of each other and bug out.

'On heal' would be a preferred method of activation versus 'getting struck', but I would rather it be independent of either the heal or elite.

I wonder if it would be possible to designate a key specifically to activate the rune bonus 6? Just to reiterate, this would not be necessary for a lot of the existing rune sets. Hitting the key would prompt a check of an available rune bonus 6 skill, if no skill is available nothing happens. Admittedly this is less than ideal, but on the surface would seem to require less coding than modifying the interface.

I still think the interface addition would be best.

I wonder if this activation condition is possible (thinking about the meadow bloom for the Superior Rune of the Grove in particular)

IF party/squad member health < 50%, THEN activate rune bonus 6 skill.

A party/squad member would include the PC themselves of course. This way, even if the mob is not attacking the PC the skill will activate at a more useful time.

Refined further...

IF party/squad member health < 50% AND IF party/squad member is located <= 240 radius THEN activate rune bonus 6 skill.

The 240 radius would be the area of affect for the meadow bloom in this case in particular. This would be adjusted for whatever is the active area for any other relevant rune bonus 6. This second version would prevent the skill from firing if the ally/squad member is outside of the range of being affected by the meadow bloom.

Lastly, as Khisanth.2948 mentioned, the following rule would apply to all runes.

IF PC is mounted THEN do not activate rune bonus 6 skill.