Permafrost Dye!

Remember when the Electro dyes were 1000 gold? Now they are less than 10 gold. Shadow Abyss was 700 gold and has been dropping in price since then and now it’s 150 gold.

Permafrost is new and highly wanted as it’s a bright white dye. The combination means its price is high. Eventually it will drop, especially if ANet increases the supply, which they have done before on highly priced dyes by selling the dye kit in the gemstore.

The whitest white and the blackest black are always very expensive.

We've seen it a time light greyish white was expensive until whiter dyes got out.

Same with black.

Funny though, i doubt the white one go much whiter now.

Maybe purer without glowth.

But the blackest one of still pretty grey and may see two or three blacker dyes ascend

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> Eventually it will drop, especially if ANet increases the supply, which they have done before on highly priced dyes by selling the dye kit in the gemstore.

>

It has already happened at least twice. Once from the 6th birthday gift. Second is by putting the Jormag Dye Kit in [black Lion Chests](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest/historical#Distant_Visitors_Chest).

So as with many other things it is a choice between pay more now or wait and pay less later.

> @"Mokesh.9286" said:

> I think it was random....

No, it’s not random. When you get a Dye Kit set from a birthday gift google it to see what each of the individual dye kits have in them. Then pick the one you want.

For example, the 6th birthday has the [Triumphant Dye kit](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Triumphant_Dye_Kit). Go to the wiki and it shows the names of the dyes in each kit and the current price for each. If you have an [API key](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/API:API_key) for your account you can apply the API key and it will gray out the dyes you already have so it’s easy to select a dye you don’t own.

Permafrost may not actually be that useful anyway. It is the brightest white but I often find it's _too_ bright. You lose a lot of the texture and other details of the item you're dying, and it can overwhelm other dyes or aspects of your character. I have it (from a birthday gift) but I usually only use it for details.

If you want white as a major part of your characters dye scheme I actually think Celestial (the former whitest white) or even White are better, and they're only 12-15g and 1.8-2.5g respectively.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Permafrost may not actually be that useful anyway. It is the brightest white but I often find it's _too_ bright. You lose a lot of the texture and other details of the item you're dying, and it can overwhelm other dyes or aspects of your character. I have it (from a birthday gift) but I usually only use it for details.

>

> If you want white as a major part of your characters dye scheme I actually think Celestial (the former whitest white) or even White are better, and they're only 12-15g and 1.8-2.5g respectively.

There is also the interaction with whatever you are trying to dye. Some stuff dye in unexpected ways.

Permafrost is only nice for accents... it's unnatural white and feels to bright

When put in any dyeslot whcihs is also boosting saturation, it's unbearable to watch.

For the people caring and comparing:

You can find the hex codes for the dyes on [www.gw2bltc.com](http:// "www.gw2bltc.com")

## **Some background regarding Hex codes for RGB:**

The webpage list the dyes by name and have RGB hexadecimal codes corresponding to their values (24 bit color or "True Color", 16,7M colors)

Basic background (RGB: #RedGreenBlue , in 3 groups of 2 figure hexadecimal values without spacing)

'#000000 is no light at all on any of the RGB channels, so deep black (0,0,0)'

'#FF0000 is RED (255,0,0)'

'#FFFF00 is YELLOW (255,255,0)'

'#00FF00 is LIME (0,255,0)'

'#00FFFF is CYAN'

'#0000FF is BLUE'

'#FF00FF is MAGENTA'

'#FFFFFF is all 3 RGB channels maxed out so bright white (255,255,255).'

However due to several dyes looking the same in RGB value and their differences ingame a 32 bit implementation of colors (RGB32) is more likely in Guilds wars 2.

See also: [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model](http:// "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RGB_color_model")

But for basic comparison this RGB code will do for the better part... Limitations can be observed in the list of black dyes.

## **Dye Comparisons:**

'For the whites:

Permafrost (Gray) (800+ Gold)

'CL #FFFFFF'

'LE #FFFFFF'

'MT #FFFFFF'

Celestial (Gray) (12 gold)

'CL #D3D0CF'

'LE #D3D0CF'

'MT #C5C1C0'

White (Gray) (2 gold)

'CL #BDBAB9'

'LE #C3C0BF'

'MT#ABA7A6'

Others worth looking in are (#Cloth,#Leather,#Metal)

'Frostbite Blue (#E8FFFF,#E8FFFF,#E8FFFF) (Blue) (200 gold)'

'Frostbite Green (#FAFFFA,#FAFFFA,#FAFFFA) (Green) (100 gold)'

'Eternal Ice (#E8E2E1,#E8E2E1,#E8E2E1) (Blue) (200+ gold)'

As for black

There are multiple dyes which come close to the Blackest black:

'Shadow Abyss(#000000,#000000,#000000) (Gray) (150 gold)'

'Abyss (#1A181B,#1A181B,#0F0F0F)(Gray) (6 gold)'

'Black (#252326,#252326,#252326) (5 gold)'

Though Shadow Abyss feels the blackest and looks the blackest...

'Abyssal Sea (#000000,#000000,#000000) (Blue) (100 gold)'

'Abyssal Forest (#000000,#000000,#000000) (Green) (1000+ gold)'

Both are blackish but have a colored shine.

Others worth noting:

'Midnight Fire (#000000,1A0D03,#1F0C00) (Red) (~2 gold)'

'Midnight Ice ((#000008,#0F1518,#011117) (Blue) (~2 gold)'

The accents seem needed to make sure the engine driving the forum doesn't corrupt the post. Please note the accents after the hex code have no importance.

edit: Corrected Hex value; Thank you, Steve the Scenic, for pointing my error out.

> @"PaxTheGreatOne.9472" said:

> Permafrost is only nice for accents... it's unnatural white and feels to bright

> When put in any dyeslot whcihs is also boosting saturation, it's unbearable to watch.

I chose it deliberately for one character. Have you seen what the Trailblazer skin for Petey looks like at full speed in four-way Permafrost?

> Basic background (RGB: #RedGreenBlue , in 3 groups of 2 figure hexadecimal values without spacing)

> '#000000 is no light at all on any of the RGB channels, so deep black (0,0,0)'

> '#FF0000 is RED (127,0,0)'

> '#FFFF00 is YELLOW (127,127,0)'

> '#00FF00 is LIME (0,127,0)'

FF is 255, not 127.

> @"Mokesh.9286" said:

> Jah! This dye is to die for.... but why does it have almost 1000 on auction for almost 900g ? Why it so expensive? D: ... How does one make that much gold... 250G is already hard to make for griffon mount items

Some people paid over 2000 gold for it.