Server without level scaling

> @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

>

> Why can't i one shot them though? if don't do anything they still shouldn't be able to damage me, I can die if i have 5 moa's agrroed on me and don't do anything. Should be invulnerable in that situation if I am 80. I don't want to have tp try to fight lvl 20 bandits in kessex they should just die from my auto attack.

Every game has its own rules on how to do things. Just because you become overpowered in some games doesn’t mean you’ll be the same in this game. In this game you do become stronger, enough to easily handle mobs that used to kill you. However you don’t become invincible because the game wants there to always be some challenge, not no challenge like you are asking for.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1.

> > > In fact, it was in the game from Day 1.

> > Idk what game u played then

> Maybe you can describe what you think level scaling is.

>

> Here's the definition I'm using

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Character#Dynamic_level_adjustment

> "Dynamic level adjustment is a game mechanic that automatically scales a character's base attributes to match the effective level of the current area. Level-based unlocks like skill slots and traits are retained. "

>

> That's always been in the game.

>

> > > > After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class.

> > > And how does that relate to level scaling?

> > It relates to scaling because im making a point they are being lazy with their content creation, by adding strict level scaling.

> So you agree that it bears no relationship to level scaling, other than more professions is something you'd prefer over more elite specializations for the same profs.

>

>

> > > > all the classes aren't particularly balanced so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets.

> > > They have added lots of content. Apparently, it's not the type of content you enjoy.

> > They have lots of content so why recycle the old content and not push out new?

> And they keep adding content. Despite not being the sort of content you enjoy, it's still content.

>

> > because they are lining their pockets with your gem purchases

> This is how the company funds its development: with gem purchases.

>

> > > > And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

> > > I'm not sure how either of us are equipped to decide what "should have been in the game" from the start. It's a design decision, which ANet made based on their ability to deliver mounts in the way they saw fit, their ability to make a world environment suitable for mounts, and their priorities for all sorts of other things.

> > yeah after like 6 years...

> PoF was released 5 years after launch, not 6.

>

> Regardless, you specifically claimed it should have been in the game at launch, without giving any reason. ANet wasn't ready to deliver mounts suitable for Guild Wars. I think it was worth the wait, because these are some of the most interesting and fun mounts in MMOs 2019.

>

> > > For myself, I love having done Core Tyria without gliding and HoT without mats, because I got to enjoy it multiple times, from different perspectives.

> > cool.

> Yes, it was.

>

> > > ****

> > >

> > > This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

> > I have an open mind to good ideas not ones that are poo.

> If you think ANet's ideas are bad, then why play this game? The reason people like GW2 is partly because ANet has been very careful about what they release and when.

>

> I certainly don't like everything in the game and there's some stuff I hate (including some stuff that they have doubled and trebled down on over time). On balance, though, I like the philosophy that PvE should encourage cooperation, that content should remain playable and relevant no matter how veteran one is, and that there's no subscription fee.

>

>

You want PvE to incorporated coop on game that's slowly dying its not dead but it came out in 2013 its almost 2020 its not gonna get a greater player base anytime soon. every 40 mins I get a message "there's no players on the map switch maps" You want me to keep looking in an empty bucket for people to help me kill a lvl 20 mini boss that should be no problem for a lvl 80 with lvl 80 gear. Its neither immersive or fun, its frustrating. I actually worked my ass off to get to 80 exploring the map doing hearts. Getting all this gear to do as much damage to something as someone who spend an hour or two in the game. level scaling kills progression and it kills motivation. Its ant-Tyria.

off topic: Honestly the only interesting thing in this game so far is creating new characters and running around until your armor falls off and you become naked collecting way points in Tyria and trying not to die to higher level mobs seeing how far u can go, evading random mobs on the way.... but even then the map is only so big and u cant even go everwhere because areas are blocked by quest lines. :/

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > > > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > > > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Its actually not that easy to get to 80

> > It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

> >

> > > the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters

> > No, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

> >

> > > instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

> > In other games, I find myself having to replay content _for the same character_ in order to level up.

> >

> > ****

> > This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

>

> Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1. After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class. (all the classes aren't particularly balanced) so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets. And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

It's been here since Day 1 that is FACT.

The extent of scaling is dependant on what your doing, and where. Yes new content has come in and requires additional scaling maybe for a particular fight but that is irrelevant.. as more skills, stats etc have been added so to has the scaling been adjusted, but that is part of the inherent design of the game. Why should new players or players going back to level new toons miss out of fun while you run around one shotting everything.. it would make older maps/starter maps a mess.

BTW.. you still have not answered the question put to you earlier in this thread.. what content is killing you in lower level maps.. perhaps that is a more crucial thing to get out in the open as it maybe to do with your playstyle/lack of class/build/skills knowledge or just a combination of all.

If it's a world boss or a champ, then maybe they just aren't meant to be soloed or some things are just too hard for "you" to solo.

As for going off on tangents regarding incoming content etc.. what has that got to do with anything.. ANET set the content cycle, they create the narrative, they release it when they feel it's best suited.

Why should mounts of been in the game from the start, just that you never gave a reason?

> > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> >

> >

>

> Its actually not that easy to get to 80 but because gw2, the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

Anyone who's here a year or two has more tomes of knowledge than they know what to do with. I could level 15 characters to max level right now without buying a level 80 boost. In theory they wouldn't give out so many leveling tomes if that were the case.

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > > > > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > > > > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Its actually not that easy to get to 80

> > > It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

> > >

> > > > the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters

> > > No, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

> > >

> > > > instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

> > > In other games, I find myself having to replay content _for the same character_ in order to level up.

> > >

> > > ****

> > > This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

> >

> > Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1. After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class. (all the classes aren't particularly balanced) so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets. And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

>

> It's been here since Day 1 that is FACT.

> The extent of scaling is dependant on what your doing, and where. Yes new content has come in and requires additional scaling maybe for a particular fight but that is irrelevant.. as more skills, stats etc have been added so to has the scaling been adjusted, but that is part of the inherent design of the game. Why should new players or players going back to level new toons miss out of fun while you run around one shotting everything.. it would make older maps/starter maps a mess.

> BTW.. you still have not answered the question put to you earlier in this thread.. what content is killing you in lower level maps.. perhaps that is a more crucial thing to get out in the open as it maybe to do with your playstyle/lack of class/build/skills knowledge or just a combination of all.

> If it's a world boss or a champ, then maybe they just aren't meant to be soloed or some things are just too hard for "you" to solo.

> As for going off on tangents regarding incoming content etc.. what has that got to do with anything.. ANET set the content cycle, they create the narrative, they release it when they feel it's best suited.

> Why should mounts of been in the game from the start, just that you never gave a reason?

bandits.

> I can die if i have 5 moa's agrroed on me and don't do anything. Should be invulnerable in that situation if I am 80. I don't want to have tp try to fight lvl 20 bandits in kessex they should just die from my auto attack.

Why would you aggro 5 moas then just stand there and do nothing to begin with? And if you want to kill level 20 bandits with your auto attack you can pretty easily, so what if it takes a few hits rather than one. As for other points you've tied to make, there are always people around to do level 80 group events, either use LFG, ask in map, or tag up. And levelling to 80 is ridiculously easy and doesn't take long in this game, so not sure what 'hard work' you were on about getting to level 80.

Anyhow as others have mentioned there are both technical and inpractical reasons (megaservers, dividing player population, lower level players already face difficulty trying to tag mobs for credit, oneshots would make it almost impossible for them, especially on daily day. And of course there's that it'd be a monumental waste of time/effort/resources for something that would not benefit Anet in any way, especially financially) why this won't happen.

> > @"Yargesh.4965" said:

> > You still have not clarified how it is possible for a lvl 80 character to die from mobs in queensdale. Most champs could be solo'd before the expansions, now with new skills and builds it can't be harder. If you are dying on low level maps due to downscaling I have to guess you are also dying on lvl 80 maps.

>

> Why can't i one shot them though? if don't do anything they still shouldn't be able to damage me, I can die if i have 5 moa's agrroed on me and don't do anything. Should be invulnerable in that situation if I am 80. I don't want to have tp try to fight lvl 20 bandits in kessex they should just die from my auto attack.

No, you shouldn't. You might want this to be the case (and it certainly is in most sub level 40 areas say on a power reaper with his spin to win). It's not healthy game design though and goes hand in hand with dead zones like in many other MMOs.

The power scaling and some open world builds are more than enough to never die even if afk. You simply aren't using one.

That said, I explained further up how this will not come to be and we can now add Arenanets approach to keep old zones relevant with the side content which gets added.

**Learn to live with it, or leave for a different game. Those are your only two choices.**

> > You still have not clarified how it is possible for a lvl 80 character to die from mobs in queensdale. Most champs could be solo'd before the expansions, now with new skills and builds it can't be harder. If you are dying on low level maps due to downscaling I have to guess you are also dying on lvl 80 maps.

>

Because it's BORING. Being invincible is fun..... **for the first five minutes**, then you realize how utterly boring it is to have no challenge at all, to end all fights at the same moment they begin. That's when you leave the low level map and never ever come back again. Which is exactly the type of scenario Anet wanted to avoid. Level scaling ensures you can go back playing in a low level map (like when there is the daily achievement up, for example) as a full level 80 and still have some degree of challenge so you don't die of boredoom. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I remember playing Guild Wars 1 and going out in a starter map on my max level char. I could one shot everything on the map, bosses included.. After the amusement value of once going thru the map and killing everything with the greatest of ease, It. Was. Boring. There was absolutely no challenge to playing on a low level map. It wasn’t even fun. That sort of thing is why old outleveled maps in other mmos are empty. There’s only so much one shotting you can do before it’s a snore.

Now, maybe tedious boring no challenge playing is your thing. There are plenty of games that are glad to offer this to you. I suggest you try them instead of asking for this game to have such a mechanism added.

To be honest, I think that the creater of this topic is just trolling or s/he does not understand what the system is good for ...

S/He demands to oneshot mobs in low lvl areas but for what? And why? This game is an MMORPG. Imagine going back to a lvl 15 area as a lvl 80 character and one shot all mobs. This is:

a) Completly boring! Like seriously, I don't want to play games like these. Why would you want to do that? I can lvl a character without buffs and thomes within 2 days from 1-80. What is the point? If you do that, you can just simply remove the low lvl areas or level in general.

b) The goal of the game is NOT to hit lvl 80.(!!!) Levels are just for progress but not the endgame. The game REALLY starts once you hit lvl 80. I always imagine the lvl 1-80 time more like a tutorial than acutally serious gameplay.

c) Low lvl player will have a hard time to acutally enjoy the game or even do anything. Imagine! Just call a lvl 80 guild member or friend to clear up the path for you. Urgh, please no!

d) Learn the basic mechanics of the game first! No offence but you don't seem to fully understand how this game works and why certaint systems are in place. This is not a "grind to lvl 80 and become OP" game nor is it a "Get the best gear and stomp everything" type of game. This games mechanics, especially in lvl 80 content, is about skills (I mean the player skills). Learn to dodge, engage, heal and fight at proper times. I also assume that you have not reached HoT content yet. ... Otherwise you would see queensdale as a paradise of peace!

I advice the creater of this topic to think for a second or two. This is not a single player game where you can get as OP as you want and then start over once you are bored.

The scaling system is in the game since day 1 and is one of the KEY FEATURES of Gw2 and a huge reason why I enjoy the game.

I can go back to low lvl region and be NOT overpowered while still being strong.

And just as a side note: It is nearly impossible for a lvl 80 character to die in Queensdale. (Beside from Meta/Boss Events). You must be doing something extremly wrong.

As a conclusion: I don't think that the creater of this topic, with respect, understands what he is talking about or how the system works or even why it is in the game.

My Opinion: Please keep it in the game! Removing it will destroy the game for me.

> @"Etria.3642" said:

> When it comes down to it, removing scaling essentially makes the lower level areas much much easier and much much less rewarding. What you're saying it, Queensdale at 80 is too difficult for you, which kind of boggles my mind. Yes, I can still die there(I decide to sit and harvest something while letting a slew of enemies whale on me, oops) but if I'm somewhat aware it's fine. I've noticed you responding to Ill-Conceived but not other's questions: what on earth is in QD that is killing you? And why would you want zero rewards?

>

> In other games, once you level above the enemies, they gray out, and you get nothing from them.

They have also taken away most champions from starting areas I think the only ones left are the grawl and captain ghost in plains of ashford.

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > > > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > > > > > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > > > > > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Its actually not that easy to get to 80

> > > > It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

> > > >

> > > > > the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters

> > > > No, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

> > > >

> > > > > instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

> > > > In other games, I find myself having to replay content _for the same character_ in order to level up.

> > > >

> > > > ****

> > > > This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

> > >

> > > Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1. After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class. (all the classes aren't particularly balanced) so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets. And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

> >

> > It's been here since Day 1 that is FACT.

> > The extent of scaling is dependant on what your doing, and where. Yes new content has come in and requires additional scaling maybe for a particular fight but that is irrelevant.. as more skills, stats etc have been added so to has the scaling been adjusted, but that is part of the inherent design of the game. Why should new players or players going back to level new toons miss out of fun while you run around one shotting everything.. it would make older maps/starter maps a mess.

> > BTW.. you still have not answered the question put to you earlier in this thread.. what content is killing you in lower level maps.. perhaps that is a more crucial thing to get out in the open as it maybe to do with your playstyle/lack of class/build/skills knowledge or just a combination of all.

> > If it's a world boss or a champ, then maybe they just aren't meant to be soloed or some things are just too hard for "you" to solo.

> > As for going off on tangents regarding incoming content etc.. what has that got to do with anything.. ANET set the content cycle, they create the narrative, they release it when they feel it's best suited.

> > Why should mounts of been in the game from the start, just that you never gave a reason?

>

> bandits.

The bandits can be quite hard use the lfg to find people that need to do them aswell, if you got commander tag or just the apple tag then use that and shout out in map aswell.

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @"GordonFreeman.6392" said:

> > > > > > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > > > > > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > > > > > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Its actually not that easy to get to 80

> > > > It actually can be that easy to get to L80, unless you don't leave the cities. Everything in this game generates experience and there are more XP buffs available than ever, many for coppers. You can level crafts or complete maps (even cities) and so on.

> > > >

> > > > > the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters

> > > > No, it's really not because (a) it's been in the game since day 1 and there weren't L80 boosters until recently and (b) because, again, it's a design feature to ensure that sub L80 content remains interesting for more people for more time than in other games.

> > > >

> > > > > instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

> > > > In other games, I find myself having to replay content _for the same character_ in order to level up.

> > > >

> > > > ****

> > > > This game isn't like others in many ways. Keep an open mind about how it works and see if that's something you might like better than what's available elsewhere. It might not be, in which case you're better off finding a different game rather than banging your head against the wall trying to get this one to be more like something else.

> > >

> > > Level scaling to the current extent hasn't been around since day 1. After Heart of thorn they just added 1 class. (all the classes aren't particularly balanced) so i can't see why they couldn't add more content instead of pandering to their pockets. And the next expansion is something that should have been in the game from the start ... mounts.

> >

> > It's been here since Day 1 that is FACT.

> > The extent of scaling is dependant on what your doing, and where. Yes new content has come in and requires additional scaling maybe for a particular fight but that is irrelevant.. as more skills, stats etc have been added so to has the scaling been adjusted, but that is part of the inherent design of the game. Why should new players or players going back to level new toons miss out of fun while you run around one shotting everything.. it would make older maps/starter maps a mess.

> > BTW.. you still have not answered the question put to you earlier in this thread.. what content is killing you in lower level maps.. perhaps that is a more crucial thing to get out in the open as it maybe to do with your playstyle/lack of class/build/skills knowledge or just a combination of all.

> > If it's a world boss or a champ, then maybe they just aren't meant to be soloed or some things are just too hard for "you" to solo.

> > As for going off on tangents regarding incoming content etc.. what has that got to do with anything.. ANET set the content cycle, they create the narrative, they release it when they feel it's best suited.

> > Why should mounts of been in the game from the start, just that you never gave a reason?

>

> bandits.

Well as I said that likely comes down to playstyle and poor gameplay.. you should not be getting downed by them unless your doing something very badly.

Though as Inc said above, if your trying to solo the event champion bandits .. that's on you for not using the tools given.. LFG, map chat, guild, friends. They are champ events within an openworld setting for good reason.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > When it comes down to it, removing scaling essentially makes the lower level areas much much easier and much much less rewarding. What you're saying it, Queensdale at 80 is too difficult for you, which kind of boggles my mind. Yes, I can still die there(I decide to sit and harvest something while letting a slew of enemies whale on me, oops) but if I'm somewhat aware it's fine. I've noticed you responding to Ill-Conceived but not other's questions: what on earth is in QD that is killing you? And why would you want zero rewards?

> >

> > In other games, once you level above the enemies, they gray out, and you get nothing from them.

>

> They have also taken away most champions from starting areas I think the only ones left are the grawl and captain ghost in plains of ashford.

Yep they did this as part of the new player experience revamp iirc.. low level maps were just being stampeded by hoardes chasing the likes of the Queensdale champ train.. it made it a mess on those maps

>

The point is not to be invulnerable in a low level zone to keep them interesting. Even with scaling very few things should cause a well equipped L80 character any problems outside of world bosses or the odd champ. In Queensdale there is a Champ and Legendary bandit event that is designed for groups. Those are special events added as part of the ongoing current events years ago.

On the Norn low level area Wayfarer Foothills the only two events that should remotely challenge a L80 is the finally parts of the metas for (World Boss) The Frozen Maw and Assault on Svanir's Dome. Those are group events. I've soloed the boss on the latter one before when the map was dead. It just requires some a lot of dodging to keep from getting hit. When I'm on the map I make it a point to take the Son's of Svanir's lunch money...

I sometimes go to low level areas just to smash through creatures with ease while farming low level crafting supplies. One fun thing I like to do is herd as many creatures as I can in one small group and take them out at once.

I wonder what would be population of this new server? I estimate it would be almost non-existent. Current pre-lv80 areas in its almost entirety (save for world bossess and *some* champs) are easy as piece of cake, boringly easy - even with level downscaling already. I literally see no reason to fight anything except bosses in there, it's pure "press x to win", my self-esteem is not *that* low yet so I would need such boost lol

I would really love to see Anet implementing a separate "hard-mode" shard for each core Tyria OW map where you can only get willingly (so casuals may stay with current level of difficulty) and which will have level of difficulty like current HoT maps have, at least - and much better rewards as well (PoF or HoT maps level rewards). That would be a blast, I'm getting tired of sticking to expansion maps all the time, as core Tyria is total bore in terms of gameplay/challenge.

I've encountered other players around both in game and around on chats etc that have voiced a desire for similar things, remove the level scaling so that they can feel that they have progressed by destroying the enemies they struggled with earlier. So it's not unheard off, and it is a valid concern for some.

Now the technical reasons mentioned in this thread alone is reason enough for ANet not to do so. Also the game is designed around the scaling system from the start and it would be a mess to change this now, not to mention it is a key features of the game that a lot of players enjoy (the vast majority) so a global "off button" is off the table.

The Mega-Server system means that making a single server with this feature off would be impossible to pull off, and honestly I suspect that branching off a own server structure for this and separate it from the Mega-Server would put a 100 players total in an entire Tyria world over all times a day, it would be near impossible to organize any group events etc.

---

Now what other ways could this be accommodated ?

The first idea that strikes me is to use the Instance system, allow players to open a personal instance of a map (ex Queensdale) which disables the scaling, allow to bring along a party of up to 5 as per usual, otherwise this instance would be empty of other players (practical, since it also removes most problems with kill steals, high level griefing against new players etc). This would allow players to experience the old maps in the desired way, feeling completely invulnerable and destroying them with ease using auto-attacks. Without causing any problems for everyone else in the MEga-Server.

Ironically this system could also be used to make a Hard-Mode of the same maps! <3 <3 <3

---

That begs the question: Is this something ANet think is important enough for enough players, that they think it is worth developing to the game ? Will it generate anything positive for them, will it increase gem sales (direct profit), player retention (the longer players play, the more likely they are to use the gem store), will it create some new and interesting ways for players to cooperate or enjoy content together? (player retention again).

Personally I think no. I suspect this largely affects such a minority of players, that ANet probably won't bother with it, after all this game was designed from the ground up to appeal to players that was tired of that type of gameplay from existing MMO's. And even if they did, I think people would use it for 10-30 minutes and be done with it, "bored now, move on". I think the hard mode would get more used and be more popular in general.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> >I hate going back to Queensdale and dying to something i shouldn't even be damaged by :(

> ... you trying to solo behemoth or something while 100 people nearby are scaling it up and having a laugh? Theres literally nothing in the lowlevel PvE zones that can substantially hurt a level 80 except major bosses and some very specific champs that has a tendancy to selfheal over the downscaled dps you can do.

>

> So I have to ask - what event in queensdale are you talking about?

There very very few mobs that heal. There are much more cases of mobs that have very high damage output but those are all stuff like champions.

I like how the OP changed the claim from being killed by Queensdale mobs to wanting to one-shot a champ boss.

Literally the flaw in this discussion is the fact that you're running on bog standard MMO mentality where everything should be easy because character is X amounts of levels. That is literally the kind of game that runs on microtransaction and relies on Power Creep to keep their game running so that people are forced into the "Pay 2 Win" position. And of course, being able to monopolise certain bosses for you to farm because you're X amount of levels.

> > > I didnt work so hard to get to 80 not to be able to one shot something in a starter zone...

> > * It's not hard to get to L80 in this game

> > * This game's philosophy is exactly that we shouldn't get to one shot anything just because we're L80. You don't have to like that, as long as you recognize it's part of the intended design.

> >

> >

>

> Its actually not that easy to get to 80 but because gw2, the reason for the level scaling is because gw2 is pushing sales of lvl 80 boosters instead of actual content they just make u play the same stuff you already played on your other characters...

Level scaling was in game at launch. Level 80 boosters in the gemstore were added years after the fact at a point when any veteran player could potentially have sufficient tomes to instant level an alt to 80 for free.