So you want great axe?

How badly though?

What if they just doubled the size of 1h axes and recycled Gs moves?

I'm wondering.

1. How terrible the stretched axes would look?

2. How unhappy would players be with this if the stretch didn't look so bad? Considering it'd be cheap to recycle animations but also whoa frostfang great axe!!

It should come as polearm with spears, halberds and other poleaxes. They can rebrand the staff since Staffs are polearms and some skins are scythes (even though the shape for actual combat is wrong since the pointy end should face forward and not to the side for cutting grass) and spears or they can leave them separate for the magical stuff.

The other option is to come from a bundle like kits, Reaper form, holo forge and what not.

> @"Vancho.8750" said:

> It should come as polearm with spears, halberds and other poleaxes.

This is what is probably going to happen. The new weapon type would be the **Polearm**, and include greataxes, scythes, and two-handed spears, among other things.

In fact, [polearms](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Polearm_(weapon_type)) were in the game at one point in [early development](

), but were replaced by shortbows for some reason. Multiple polearm skins were recycled into harpoons/spears later when underwater weapons were introduced.

The wardrobe for underwater weapons is a mess, probably since they were implemented very later into development. That's why [you can already wield a greataxe ingame](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Wolfborn_Harpoon.jpg), even if it doesn't make too much sense.

You can read a proposal for their return and implementation on the [new weapon types study thread](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/712235/#Comment_712235).

No I dont. Because I fail to see the point. What would be the purpose of it as a different type of weapon? Greataxe skins could easily be added for the hammer weapon archetype. Basicly the same attack style, you smash and swing. A greataxe is just a flattened hammer.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> No I dont. Because I fail to see the point. What would be the purpose of it as a different type of weapon? Greataxe skins could easily be added for the hammer weapon archetype. Basicly the same attack style, you smash and swing. A greataxe is just a flattened hammer.

Except hammers do so little dmg it's so niche no one uses but scrapper (cause the other options are terrible) or sometimes wvw waarior or spvp guard. Unfortunately in all cases that I know of its not for the purpose of dps but cc limiting it usefulness so much no one bothers usually. People want a great axe to do damage! Which is the primary thing everyone does in this game so...

> @"Samuel.4812" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > No I dont. Because I fail to see the point. What would be the purpose of it as a different type of weapon? Greataxe skins could easily be added for the hammer weapon archetype. Basicly the same attack style, you smash and swing. A greataxe is just a flattened hammer.

>

> Except hammers do so little dmg it's so niche no one uses but scrapper (cause the other options are terrible) or sometimes wvw waarior or spvp guard. Unfortunately in all cases that I know of its not for the purpose of dps but cc limiting it usefulness so much no one bothers usually. People want a great axe to do damage! Which is the primary thing everyone does in this game so...

a niche already filled by the greatsword

> @"Samuel.4812" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > No I dont. Because I fail to see the point. What would be the purpose of it as a different type of weapon? Greataxe skins could easily be added for the hammer weapon archetype. Basicly the same attack style, you smash and swing. A greataxe is just a flattened hammer.

>

> Except hammers do so little dmg it's so niche no one uses but scrapper (cause the other options are terrible) or sometimes wvw waarior or spvp guard. Unfortunately in all cases that I know of its not for the purpose of dps but cc limiting it usefulness so much no one bothers usually. People want a great axe to do damage! Which is the primary thing everyone does in this game so...

Uuuuuuuh... meta WvW backline herald? Do you even hammer?

Also damage has *nothing* to do with the weapon archetype. In fact *nothing* of a weapons size and format have anything to do with... literally anything.

In GW2 a greataxe could be a 1200 range machinegun for all the game care.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Samuel.4812" said:

> > > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > No I dont. Because I fail to see the point. What would be the purpose of it as a different type of weapon? Greataxe skins could easily be added for the hammer weapon archetype. Basicly the same attack style, you smash and swing. A greataxe is just a flattened hammer.

> >

> > Except hammers do so little dmg it's so niche no one uses but scrapper (cause the other options are terrible) or sometimes wvw waarior or spvp guard. Unfortunately in all cases that I know of its not for the purpose of dps but cc limiting it usefulness so much no one bothers usually. People want a great axe to do damage! Which is the primary thing everyone does in this game so...

> Uuuuuuuh... meta WvW backline herald? Do you even hammer?

>

> Also damage has *nothing* to do with the weapon archetype. In fact *nothing* of a weapons size and format have anything to do with... literally anything.

>

> In GW2 a greataxe could be a 1200 range machinegun for all the game care.

Now I want a greataxe just so they could give it machine-gun animations :)