Lack of Players - World Boss Events, is it a spreading effect?

I tried 3x tonight and 2 failed even though we had some players, and another had no interest at all. I went to an event timer page (the first one up when searching google) and it shows all the events on a single page as one graph of sorts... and my god no wonder we never seem to have enough. There are at least like I think 8 to 10 at any given point that can happen... no wonder, you add in the two story types plus the personal stories, achievements, and everything no wonder... I think GW2 may just be too spread out now to have enough of anyone at any given major event to win it unless you just get exceptionally lucky? I mean there is always the last event (or event set) that released, like with dragon fall now, but uh? I mean those 3 are just tonight, I haven't been to a world boss event where we won in a bit now, too long. Am I the only one noticing this?

Think could be due to the fact that we having the meta event and that could be distracting people from normal pattern. Best is to look again at what happens on Wednesday when event is over and people start to return to a longer term pattern. There have been a few tools added that should make it easier to get the numbers in the long term but guess one just needs to see where the interest is.

There were too many players at World Bosses a week or two ago.

Many players are participating in Meta Events this week.

There are usually large populations at the most recently released content, i.e. Special Events, Living World Release, etc.

(I happened to be in Frostgorge tonight right when Jormag started; it took a wee bit longer [perhaps, a minute or two], but was successful.)

The new map gives you so many rares and that the big meta even gives you like double the rares of a full world boss run and in less time.

I think that world bosses should have it's own currency with special armor/weapon vendor because there's not much incentive to do it and it's sad cause a lot of players do like to do these runs and it is a huge time sink for some people

Although not a boss, my friend was in istan the other day doing the meta with a comm, while when i joined a map it was totally dead, no comm, event hadn't even kicked off. Thankfully I was able to join the other map and do the meta.

So..i'd be not so quick to judge that a map is dead/game is dead/world is going to end because it more likely full maps and the game had shroved you into overflow (dragonstand I am looking at you boi).

GW got it right with districts and you can see how many maps are open. Having to get a taxi and hope is frustrating at best, considering no LFG doesn't mean nothing is going on.

This happens pretty much any time a limited time popular event occurs. The other notable ones I am aware of would be Halloween and SAB. Maybe Wintersday but that is mixed up with the fact that a lot of people would be traveling and therefore have no access to their computer.

What bosses were you trying to do? Most shouldn't require huge numbers.

> @"Sovari.7246" said:

> The new map gives you so many rares and that the big meta even gives you like double the rares of a full world boss run and in less time.

>

> I think that world bosses should have it's own currency with special armor/weapon vendor because there's not much incentive to do it and it's sad cause a lot of players do like to do these runs and it is a huge time sink for some people

I don't think you can blame Dragonfall. Other things have long surpassed world bosses when it comes to rares.

Even treasure hunting kits should be better than WB considering the 15 minutes in between boss.

I assume you are talking about the core tyria world bosses that are on a schedule? Are you on EU or NA because on EU there is no problem at all with completing these. I do them most days at all different hours and the only time they cant be completed is around 3am-6am when the game is dead. If you are in an empty map you should use the lfg tool to taxi into a map where people are grouped to kill the boss. There is usually a world boss train active most times of the day.

I remember soloing (and failing) the fire elemental in oktober 2012 somewhere in the middle of the night. This was before megaservers and world boss schedule, but also when the game was considered to be more active.

I truly welcome an event fail from time to time. Did you know that if you fail to kill the fire elemental, the inquest steals the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem and there is another event to destroy it.

Tonight's been a bit strange for me.

Been getting put into oddly empty maps. Had to taxi twice for tequatl (normally never have to do that) despite getting into the map 15 minutes early.

Also seem to be getting put with a lot of players I'm not familiar with. Feels weird lol.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> Have you actually joined a map through the LFG ? Because if you just go to a map chances are you got put into an overflow map because the other map was full.

That was my thought exactly. Doing meta events just by joining a map rarely gets you on a populated map that is doing the meta (let alone in an organized manner).

Actually I think it's spread just fine. Look at what happened with both the Boss blitz and the Meta blitz. A substantially higher percentage of players all went to the same event, presumably for the extra rewards. Reports of heavy lag, inability to get a spot on the map even if you were 15 minutes early, the event itself being trivialized because with the zerg of players, npcs would insta-delete, etc etc.

So if GW2 did condense things, and offered fewer events at the same time, you would see more of what is described above....or you might see even less players logging in, as what they want to do isn't available at that time.

Special events like this blitz week are always disruptive. Things will eventually get back to normal.

I dont think it is anywhere near an issue. Failure of meta events is still far to rare an occurrence to be a concern, which is a phenomenal achievement after 8 years to be honest.

Id hope Anet would look at scaling on events if it ever became a problem

Time of day and use of lfg are essential though. Not every map shard will be populated, but to see a major meta fail is not something ive seen for a while personally.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> I remember soloing (and failing) the fire elemental in oktober 2012 somewhere in the middle of the night. This was before megaservers and world boss schedule, but also when the game was considered to be more active.

If that was the original incarnation of the fire elemental, then it was quite usual to fail it. He had a big problem scaling to bigger groups (Specifically, once enough of his fire imp minions got summoned, that was practically /gg, since they didn't unsummon, could carpet-bomb the whole fire ele chamber, and could prevent reinforcements by blocking the bridge), which meant a lot of players were avoiding him on principle until it got fixed (which didn't happen until quite a bit later, if i remember right)

The practical advice remains:

* Use LFG

* If there is no LFG, start your own; if you build it, they will come.

> Doing meta events just by joining a map rarely gets you on a populated map that is doing the meta (let alone in an organized manner).

It's almost a mathematical certainty that dropping into a map leads you a low-pop map, except during peak periods of popularity.

* Once a map instance is over X% full, the game opens a new instance and most newcomers end up there.

* If there's an LFG for the remaining slots in that first map, then savvy players will move.

* That leaves the second map feeling empty.

* Savvy players will start an LFG; others will wait. And wait. And wait.

* Meantime, once the first map is full, the game will open another instance.

* Whichever of the available instances starts an LFG will begin to fill quickly.

That's why an organized group, for e.g. Tangled Depths, can choose from among 6-7 instances some nights, and choose the one that allows all of their squad to enter. That's why advertising a map, even near the last minute, can attract enough people to fill up.

> @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> I remember soloing (and failing) the fire elemental in oktober 2012 somewhere in the middle of the night. This was before megaservers and world boss schedule, but also when the game was considered to be more active.

>

> I truly welcome an event fail from time to time. Did you know that if you fail to kill the fire elemental, the inquest steals the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem and there is another event to destroy it.

Nice, I would enjoy to fail world bosses just to see what happens, but sadly it's impossible now.... I'm happy when I'm in an empty map, can finally discover them...

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> The practical advice remains:

> * Use LFG

> * If there is no LFG, start your own; if you build it, they will come.

>

> ****

> > Doing meta events just by joining a map rarely gets you on a populated map that is doing the meta (let alone in an organized manner).

>

> It's almost a mathematical certainty that dropping into a map leads you a low-pop map, except during peak periods of popularity.

> * Once a map instance is over X% full, the game opens a new instance and most newcomers end up there.

> * If there's an LFG for the remaining slots in that first map, then savvy players will move.

> * That leaves the second map feeling empty.

> * Savvy players will start an LFG; others will wait. And wait. And wait.

> * Meantime, once the first map is full, the game will open another instance.

> * Whichever of the available instances starts an LFG will begin to fill quickly.

>

> That's why an organized group, for e.g. Tangled Depths, can choose from among 6-7 instances some nights, and choose the one that allows all of their squad to enter. That's why advertising a map, even near the last minute, can attract enough people to fill up.

>

>

To expand on this, by going to the chat window and typing in the following command:

> /ip

You are given the IP address of the map instance you're in. Traditionally players will advertise the last few digits of that address in their LFG tag. This allows players (who know this) to check and see if they are in the same map as a tag, and allows other tags to coordinate on the same instance..

Also a good rule to follow is the commander organizing the squad should move themselves to squad 2, so anyone not in that instance know whom to click on to join the correct instance.

wow, ok. I stand corrected on a rather massive scale tonight. LFG is definitely the way to go, as I had forgotten entirely about that. Thanks. But as far as tonight, holy crap I landed in 2 without even going LFG.... and MASSIVE numbers (brought my massive i9 and 2080ti rig to its knees with all the players attending... (18 fps roughly). Guess it's time of day + being on the right shard (LFG if not). Thanks for the advice.

> @"Wolfie.8230" said:

> wow, ok. I stand corrected on a rather massive scale tonight. LFG is definitely the way to go, as I had forgotten entirely about that. Thanks. But as far as tonight, holy kitten I landed in 2 without even going LFG.... and MASSIVE numbers (brought my massive i9 and 2080ti rig to its knees with all the players attending... (18 fps roughly). Guess it's time of day + being on the right shard (LFG if not). Thanks for the advice.

There should be plenty of people this week considering the new node to gather after each world boss, which you then use that material to make the new shiny weapons in the forge.

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > I remember soloing (and failing) the fire elemental in oktober 2012 somewhere in the middle of the night. This was before megaservers and world boss schedule, but also when the game was considered to be more active.

> >

> > I truly welcome an event fail from time to time. Did you know that if you fail to kill the fire elemental, the inquest steals the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem and there is another event to destroy it.

>

> Nice, I would enjoy to fail world bosses just to see what happens, but sadly it's impossible now.... I'm happy when I'm in an empty map, can finally discover them...

I've seen some of the harder ones fail, like Tequatl and the Shatterer but those are quite disappointing - they just leave again. Which makes the whole thing seem a bit odd, because it means if it wasn't a game the sensible approach to dealing with them would be for everyone to stay away. That way no one's in danger and the dragon will leave of it's own accord with no harm done. It's only because we want to fight them that it's worth doing.

(Although I realise that having undefeated world bosses go on to destroy everything would not be practical or good for the game. But I like the approach with some maps where failing the meta event causes corruption or other effects which shut off/do not unlock areas - so there's consequences for failing.)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"hugo.4705" said:

> > > @"mercury ranique.2170" said:

> > > I remember soloing (and failing) the fire elemental in oktober 2012 somewhere in the middle of the night. This was before megaservers and world boss schedule, but also when the game was considered to be more active.

> > >

> > > I truly welcome an event fail from time to time. Did you know that if you fail to kill the fire elemental, the inquest steals the C.L.E.A.N. 5000 golem and there is another event to destroy it.

> >

> > Nice, I would enjoy to fail world bosses just to see what happens, but sadly it's impossible now.... I'm happy when I'm in an empty map, can finally discover them...

>

> I've seen some of the harder ones fail, like Tequatl and the Shatterer but those are quite disappointing - they just leave again. Which makes the whole thing seem a bit odd, because it means if it wasn't a game the sensible approach to dealing with them would be for everyone to stay away. That way no one's in danger and the dragon will leave of it's own accord with no harm done. It's only because we want to fight them that it's worth doing.

>

> (Although I realise that having undefeated world bosses go on to destroy everything would not be practical or good for the game. But I like the approach with some maps where failing the meta event causes corruption or other effects which shut off/do not unlock areas - so there's consequences for failing.)

Ir reminds me of LS1 when miasmas were released in Lion's arch, locking it until the reset. For Tequalt/Shatterer, if they fail they can simply add risens/branded veterans all over the locations, would not bother that much the ones exploring. I like when Megadestroyer fail: The volcano enter eruptive state killing everyone within it. Why not increasing lava height? Anyway it's fun. But the one that "shocked" me is kourna, they are literally pointing 3 lightning cannons toward pact encampment, and if we fail deactivating them/reprogramming them it just do nothing.. Would have expected an explosion at pact encampment and a rebuilding event/ awakened invasion. Even when the thorn wall is destroyed...

I did Ulgoth yesterday to see what the shiny was about and I wish there were less players. The scaling for these events needs to be improved if we are going to have these repeating events highlighting these bosses. They die so quickly I truly only auto attack, and I always hated that argument as it inferred novice gameplay.